• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
Picked up two GTX 780's to update my rig. $1000 for both. I think I should get another 8 GB of RAM a couple extra SSD's (only have a Crucial M4 128gb.)

What should I be looking for in regards to SSD's? I figure the best bang for the buck is two Samsung 840 256GB's in RAID 0, right? The extra speed of the 840 Pro would be unnoticeable and worthless, if my thinking is accurate.

Also, two SSD's in RAID 0 wont saturate the SATA 3 bus, right?

Also, running a 3570k @ 4.7 ghz... I am guessing going to a 3770k isnt worth my time? Although hyperthreading might make a big difference on these next gen ports. I can sell my 3570k for a good price I'm sure.

roMonster

I want to get a 780 but im afraid of the 3gb vram and cant justify the titan.

A 780 with a 256bit bus, 4gb of ram and core clocked to 770 speeds priced at what the 780 would be awesome

I can't wait for the 15th. I think that's when the NDA is lifted for the 290 and 290x. I want real performance numbers and prices so I can rest in peace.

Kenka

That's funny i was actually coming here to ask the same question.

This format looks really awesome to me and I've been doing some research about games compatibility with it and it seems to be doing more than OK with most of them.

Which screen would you actually recommend if I planned on getting one of these screens ?

Good question. As far as I know, there is no 2560x1080 120Hz screen on the market. If no 3D gaming on screen, I might as well go for Oculus Rift instead.

longdi

Banned
r9 280x = 7970 with max out voltage and clocks but without the 3 free games.

its a no brainer to grab 7970s on sales now. most 7970 overclocks no problem to 280x speed, some even allows you to use lower voltages/heat.

Seanspeed

Banned
Picked up two GTX 780's to update my rig. $1000 for both. I think I should get another 8 GB of RAM a couple extra SSD's (only have a Crucial M4 128gb.)

What should I be looking for in regards to SSD's? I figure the best bang for the buck is two Samsung 840 256GB's in RAID 0, right? The extra speed of the 840 Pro would be unnoticeable and worthless, if my thinking is accurate.

Also, running a 3570k @ 4.7 ghz... I am guessing going to a 3770k isnt worth my time? Although hyperthreading might make a big difference on these next gen ports. I can sell my 3570k for a good price I'm sure.

If you've got the cash for multiple $1000 graphics cards, I'd say upgrading to the i7 CPU is a no-brainer.

Addnan

If you've got the cash for multiple $1000 graphics cards, I'd say upgrading to the i7 CPU is a no-brainer.

Getting a 3770K when your 3570K is running at 4.7 is a bit crazy. Even crazier than getting dual 780s. Which isn't really.

jfoul

Amazon price matched Newegg and Tiger Direct on the Sapphire 7950 for $209.99. Ended up ordering from Newegg yesterday, I should have waited. Amazon return policy and x3 visa reward points out the window!

InPlosion

I'm currently sitting on a q9550 core duo quad, coupled with a 6850.
Should I upgrade to another mid tier, newer card, or just wait and save money for a whole new rig?(I'm thinking about like, two years from now anyway, when ddr4 will have become a day to day reality, and ssd will have a more affordable price per gb ratio).

My fear is that I would just end up wasting money, on a gpu that's going to stay throttled by the cpu + ddr2 combo anyway.
Still,I'd love to inject more life in this rig I'm using for now, and enjoy more 1080p goodness.

Addnan

I'm currently sitting on a q9550 core duo quad, coupled with a 6850.
Should I upgrade to another mid tier, newer card, or just wait and save money for a whole new rig?(I'm thinking about like, two years from now anyway, when ddr4 will have become a day to day reality, and ssd will have a more affordable price per gb ratio).

My fear is that I would just end up wasting money, on a gpu that's going to stay throttled by the cpu + ddr2 combo anyway.
Still,I'd love to inject more life in this rig I'm using for now, and enjoy more 1080p goodness.

That CPU is coming to its end now. I think it would be best to wait and do a full upgrade.

Where is a good place to buy quality, but AFFORDABLE pre-built PCs from? Anyone know?
I know it's been done to death here, but if you're not looking for custom watercooling loops or anything like that, consider building your own.
It's incredibly easy (adult legos etc), much cheaper and you generally get better warranties on individual parts than you'd get on a prebuilt.

I have two left hands and I managed to put together several PCs just fine. All it takes is a good tutorial and some time. If something goes wrong, we're here to help.

longdi

Banned
Amazon price matched Newegg and Tiger Direct on the Sapphire 7950 for $209.99. Ended up ordering from Newegg yesterday, I should have waited. Amazon return policy and x3 visa reward points out the window!

HIS iceq 7950 is better as it comes with the 3 games and uses a blower + thick heat pipes, i prefer the exhausting design more.

Sapphire's seems like a rejected budget pcb of their higher end series with no voltage tweaking.

Dawg

So, my potential setup:

GTX 770 ACX
I5-3570K
CM 212 Evo
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
1x 128GB SSD Crucial M4
PC & Power Cooling Silencer MK III 650W

I was looking at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65541586&postcount=3 to see if I could experiment with mini atx.

I'm obviously looking at the BitFenix Prodigy build, because that one is very similar to mine. Is mini atx quiet though? Comparable with R4/550D? And are temps OK?

I'd have to change mobo's though, but everyone here talks about Asrock using lesser components so I wouldn't mind trying something else.

So, my potential setup:

GTX 770 ACX
I5-3570K
CM 212 Evo
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
1x 128GB SSD Crucial M4

I was looking at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65541586&postcount=3 to see if I could experiment with mini atx.

I'm obviously looking at the BitFenix Prodigy build, because that one is very similar to mine. Is mini atx quiet though? Comparable with R4/550D? And are temps OK?

I'd have to change mobo's though, but everyone here talks about Asrock using lesser components so I wouldn't mind trying something else.
You mean Mini-ITX. I had a Prodigy and it can be made pretty quiet. With a bigass fan (up to 230mm) as front intake and a 120mm fan as rear exhaust you'd have a really efficient airflow setup with the front intake blowing straight across the whole mainboard, cooling all the components.
Turn the fans down a notch and voilá, it's quiet.

You probably won't reach R4/550D levels of quiet, though. The top is completely open and the GPU draws in air directly through the side vents.

Also, make sure that the PSU is no longer than 160mm including connectors.

Dawg

You mean Mini-ITX. I had a Prodigy and it can be made pretty quiet. With a bigass fan (up to 230mm) as front intake and a 120mm fan as rear exhaust you'd have a really efficient airflow setup with the front intake blowing straight across the whole mainboard, cooling all the components.
Turn the fans down a notch and voilá, it's quiet.

You probably won't reach R4/550D levels of quiet, though. The top is completely open and the GPU draws in air directly through the side vents.

Also, make sure that the PSU is no longer than 160mm including connectors.

Thanks. And yeah, I meant Mini-ITX :p I have a silencer mk III 600W and the dimensions are 150mm (W) x 86mm (H) x 160mm (L) which seems like a tight fit.

Any fan recommendations for the front and rear? No idea what the case comes with.

Thanks. And yeah, I meant Mini-ITX :p I have a silencer mk III 600W and the dimensions are 150mm (W) x 86mm (H) x 160mm (L) which seems like a tight fit.

Any fan recommendations for the front and rear? No idea what the case comes with.
You might be able to forcefully cram the PSU in there, but it's a gamble..

Bitfenix makes 200mm and 230mm fans. I had a standard Spectre 200mm in mine (runs at 700 rpm) and it did the job just fine. The 230mm one is bigger, but for some reason it's running at 900 rpm, so it should be louder as well. With good fan control, that's no problem of course.
The two 120mm Spectre fans the Prodigy comes with are pretty good, no need to buy a new 120mm rear exhaust.

If you don't like the handles on the Prodigy (they feel a bit flimsy tbh), Bitfenix have just released a new model that's essentially a handle-less Prodigy with a new front panel. Could be pretty cool:

1023.png

Dawg

You might be able to forcefully cram the PSU in there, but it's a gamble..

Bitfenix makes 200mm and 230mm fans. I had a standard Spectre 200mm in mine (runs at 700 rpm) and it did the job just fine. The 230mm one is bigger, but for some reason it's running at 900 rpm, so it should be louder as well. With good fan control, that's no problem of course.
The two 120mm Spectre fans the Prodigy comes with are pretty good, no need to buy a new 120mm rear exhaust.

If you don't like the handles on the Prodigy (they feel a bit flimsy tbh), Bitfenix have just released a new model that's essentially a handle-less Prodigy with a new front panel. Could be pretty cool:

1023.png

I was looking at that one. Isn't there an EVGA one coming soon too?

I'd just need to know what the best option would be for my 160mm PSU. Is that limitation a general rule for the cases or just for the Prodigy?

Sanctuary

1023.png

God, that is such a gorgeous design. I was shopping around for new cases, and in the end it was a choice between the Prodigy and the Corsair Carbide Air 540. I might have to wait to see how the reviews are with the new case.

Side note: does anyone have a good guess at just how much games like The Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4 (if you know much about the engine) would actually require an upgrade in both processing and GPU power running on a single monitor at 1080p? I built an $1800 system in the fall of 2009, and there's still nothing that really pushes it when using "really nice" but not "ultra 28x SSAO/mega downsampling" or whatever settings. I typically upgrade every three years, but I haven't had to yet--assuming next year will be the year it's warranted. Still just using a 580 GTX too.

I was looking at that one. Isn't there an EVGA one coming soon too?

I'd just need to know what the best option would be for my 160mm PSU. Is that limitation a general rule for the cases or just for the Prodigy?
Yeah, the Hadron. Looks well thought out, but it'll be pretty expensive considering they're including a 80 Plus Gold-rated PSU.

Most of the ITX cases in the OP need shorter PSUs, the FT03 Mini is even SFX-only.

If you want to keep the PSU, maybe move up to mATX?

Dawg

God, that is such a gorgeous design. I was shopping around for new cases, and in the end it was a choice between the Prodigy and the Corsair Carbide Air 540. I might have to wait to see how the reviews are with the new case.

Side note: does anyone have a good guess at just how much games like The Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4 (if you know much about the engine) would actually require an upgrade in both processing and GPU power running on a single monitor at 1080p? I built an $1800 system in the fall of 2009, and there's still nothing that really pushes it when using "really nice" but not "ultra 28x SSAO/mega downsampling" or whatever. I typically upgrade every three years, but I haven't had to yet--assuming next year will be the year it's warranted.

In that case, just wait for the Nvidia 8xx line to upgrade. And I wouldn't expect a huuuge jump for the games you mentioned. Witcher 3 will be a heavy game, but only really on extreme maximus. And the other games are made on the same engine as BF4. Not saying they will be as heavy as BF4, but yeah.

Games these days are always made with a huge load of different specs in mind though. Devs want most people to be able to play their game. Only low end pc's will really have problems. And you'll only need a high-end uptodate build if you want to play everything on maximum at 60fps all the time.

So CPU wise my 2600k is still running strong oced to 4.4ghz. Playing the BF4 beta made me realize I'm going to need a better GPU. I think I can hold out till next year if I can tolerate high settings instead of ultra.

So CPU wise my 2600k is still running strong oced to 4.4ghz. Playing the BF4 beta made me realize I'm going to need a better GPU. I think I can hold out till next year if I can tolerate high settings instead of ultra.

Well, first name your GPU. but do not base this decision on the Battlefield 4 beta. At least wait for the final version or also other games.

kharma45

So, my potential setup:

GTX 770 ACX
I5-3570K
CM 212 Evo
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
1x 128GB SSD Crucial M4

don't get an extreme4. Get the ASUS LK instead.

If you don't like the handles on the Prodigy (they feel a bit flimsy tbh),

I just built a new work computer for my wife using the Prodigy, and for shits and giggles I threw in their 230mm fan. I will say it's nearly silent at stock speeds. I believe it's spinning at about 800rpm.

While the handles do flex, I believe I've read that that is by design. I'm not worried about them breaking. Although, being a home office computer, we don't really move it around much either.

I'd definitely recommend the case for a gaming build. The only issue I saw was with bigger cpu heatsinks interfering with the pcie slot. I put in a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (not the biggest aftermarket heatsink around) and noticed I would not have had room for a video card. But I assume that's more of a general ITX issue than anything specific to this case.

Well, first name your GPU. but do not base this decision on the Battlefield 4 beta. At least wait for the final version or also other games.

EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB running games at 1080p 60hz. I was just kind of venting. Of course I wouldn't completely judge it based on the BF4 beta alone, but there's also the recent COD and Watch Dogs requirements. Shit is happening fast. I wanted to hold out till next year when the 800 series for Nvidia comes out and compare them against AMD's offerings. I'm rooting for AMD. Nvidia got cocky with the prices of the 770 and 780 series.

Dawg

That GPU will eat CoD and Watch Dogs. I know CoD recommends a GTX 780, but no way in hell won't you be able to run that stuff at decent framerate with your gpu.

Playing on high instead of ultra also helps. Most of the time, one of the ultra settings cranks up the recommended specs.

kharma45

Sorry, I didn't write my post that good. I already have that mobo haha. Only thing new is the gtx 770 :p I was just describing my specs for a potential mITX build.

oh right i get ya now, my mistkae! Was browsing on my phone and thought you were looking to get it.

Dawg

Yeah, the Hadron. Looks well thought out, but it'll be pretty expensive considering they're including a 80 Plus Gold-rated PSU.

Most of the ITX cases in the OP need shorter PSUs, the FT03 Mini is even SFX-only.

If you want to keep the PSU, maybe move up to mATX?

Well, the Prodigy-M did just release... but I prefer the smaller mITX cases.

I wouldn't have a problem getting a new PSU if really needed. One that is 100% modulair might help with such a small case? Although I don't know what PSU is both really slim and modulair.

Do you still use mITX yourself?

That GPU will eat CoD and Watch Dogs. I know CoD recommends a GTX 780, but no way in hell won't you be able to run that stuff at decent framerate with your gpu.

Playing on high instead of ultra also helps. Most of the time, one of the ultra settings cranks up the recommended specs.

I'm kind of a snob. I want ultra on settings and 60fps min, not max or avg. I suppose Watch Dogs on high will still look better than the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

Dawg

I'm kind of a snob. I want ultra on settings and 60fps min, not max or avg. I suppose Watch Dogs on high will still look better than the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

I feel you, I'm like that too. Even the GTX 780 drops below 60fps min. on ultra settings (recent games) every now and then though.

I'd just play on high or ultra (if possible) and wait till 8xx. Buying an upgrade for a GTX 670 (especially ftw version, which is really close to GTX 680 and in turn to 770) in a period where new GPU's hardly offer more performance is not worth it.

I'd even think a second 670 FTW is both cheaper and better. I dislike SLI and Crossfire myself though, but maybe that's just because I've had negative experiences with micro stuttering and all. And then you also have the increased wattage requirements and the fact two cards are hotter. And who knows, the next nvidia line could have a single card that is as good or better than two 670's for the price of a current 770 or so.

I feel you, I'm like that too. Even the GTX 780 drops below 60fps min. on ultra settings (recent games) every now and then though.

I'd just play on high or ultra (if possible) and wait till 8xx. Buying an upgrade for a GTX 670 (especially ftw version, which is really close to GTX 680 and in turn to 770) in a period where new GPU's hardly offer more performance is not worth it.

I'd even think a second 670 FTW is both cheaper and better. I dislike SLI and Crossfire myself though, but maybe that's just because I've had negative experiences with micro stuttering and all.

ha ha, I just checked newegg and amazon. The 670 ftw is still not cheaper. Also, checked out Ebay. A used one is going for $270. I'm leery of used products. What if the person selling is a smoker, or has cats and dogs, or touches the golden contacts like a dumb ass, or never dusts the inside of his case?

I'm also a one/best single gpu kind of guy. I suppose I'd do multi gpus if I were rich. 3 290x or something :)

I've been considering going mitx with my current build I'd just need a new mobo. I kind of want to wait on replacing the CPU till next round of CPUs come out since I can't also afford to get the PS4 next month plus overhaul my PC. I'd like a new CPU but can I get by another year with this one if I OC it?

I5 2500k
ASRock Pro3-M mobo
GTX 770 ACX
8 GB corsair Vengeance 1866
H60 (gonna replace soon with custom cooling)
Corsair HX750W PSU

Which mitx board would you guys recommend?

I'm thinking of moving these parts to my HTPC Silverstone Grandia GD08 case from the 350D.

Azulsky

I've been considering going mitx with my current build I'd just need a new mobo. I kind of want to wait on replacing the CPU till next round of CPUs come out since I can't also afford to get the PS4 next month plus overhaul my PC. I'd like a new CPU but can I get by another year with this one if I OC it?

I5 2500k
ASRock Pro3-M mobo
GTX 770 ACX
8 GB corsair Vengeance 1866
H60 (gonna replace soon with custom cooling)
Corsair HX750W PSU

Which mitx board would you guys recommend?

I'm thinking of moving these parts to my HTPC Silverstone Grandia GD08 case from the 350D.

You will be fine, just OC it

Naito

Howdy, could you give me any suggestion for a build specifically used for Cinema 4D renderings?

I've tried to render a building plan (medium quality, 841 × 1189 mm, 300 dpi) with my current gaming machine and it took 8h35min.
Better than 12-16h with the Macbook Pro but I hoped it would take a lot less than that.

Budget would be $1000-1500. Many thanks in advance.

Dawg

Since I can't decide, I'll just drop this list.

Your Current Specs: i5-3570K / Onboard / PC & Power Cooling 600w / corsair 550d / 128gb ssd / 8GB RAM

Budget: €800 soft budget with 850 being my hard cap
Main Use: High-end mITX build for gaming, must be quiet
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (or 1200)
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, of course

Stuff that WILL be changed: Need a new mITX mobo, a fully modulair PSU THAT fits (I'm already bad enough at ATX cable management, so I need this) and I'm probably getting a 256GB SSD so I have more room.

Stuff that will be sold to increase budget: motherboard, SSD and PSU. I should be able to get around €200 so the budget can increase to €1000-1050, does not mean I want to spend that much.

Mind you I need a monitor as well, but I'll probably buy that with the money off the parts I'm selling. Probably getting the new Dell IPS.

I just need someone to make me a mITX build. Only thing that I already have is 8GB of ram and the i5-3570K! You can probably forget about the monitor and the money I'm making off the parts listed above, as the money goes to the monitor.

TL;DR

Need mITX build: PSU, Case, Mobo, GPU, 256GB SSD (already have cpu and ram and optical drive)
Budget: 800-850

Zaph

Does that mean I could record from the PS3 since its hooked up to the same TV as the PC? Or would I have to connect the PS3 direct to the PC? Or is it impossible anyway? :p
The external source is for audio.

To record from a PS3 you'd need some sort of component-in device (USB or PCI) to capture. But I imagine it'll be very laggy to play because, IIRC, those devices make use of software decoding.

You're better off getting a dedicated console capture setup, like the Elgato.

The external source is for audio.

To record from a PS3 you'd need some sort of component-in device (USB or PCI) to capture. But I imagine it'll be very laggy to play because, IIRC, those devices make use of software decoding.

You're better off getting a dedicated console capture setup, like the Elgato.

Ah, shame.

I was surprised to find out the PC version of Battlefield 4 a)costs £45 and b)doesn't have native game-recording, letting you save, rewatch and share the action.

Seems like the perfect game for that, although I imagine the sheer scale of it makes it more difficult than it sounds

Ty4on

1023.png

That and the Prodigy now come in an mATX model with a vertical mount for HDDs and the PSU in the front with its exhaust pointing down. PSUs are however designed to work inside cases with temps around 40-50 so they should be fine :p

The mobo is inverted so the GPU fan can draw fresh air from the filtered top intake. Stock setup is strange with one rear exhaust and one bottom exhaust. I'd put both fans at the top as intakes to blow straight down towards the GPU and make the CPU cooler blow back towards the exhaust.

Great to see other people agree with it being beautiful. I couldn't understand why this reviewer found it bad looking.

Silly question but how much of an impact does a gaming rig have on electric bill. I know there are many variables of course. I currently having "gaming" laptop and wondering how much of a difference I'm looking at each month if I build a rig.

Sanctuary

I'd even think a second 670 FTW is both cheaper and better. I dislike SLI and Crossfire myself though, but maybe that's just because I've had negative experiences with micro stuttering and all. And then you also have the increased wattage requirements and the fact two cards are hotter. And who knows, the next nvidia line could have a single card that is as good or better than two 670's for the price of a current 770 or so.

I'm just wondering how much of a step up the 8xx series will be compared to a 780 in terms of price and power consumption. Supposedly they are to be released Q1 2014, which was right before I was going to build my new system anyway. SLI still isn't a consideration for me either, even if you can potentially get better performance for less than the best single card solution. The issues aren't worth the potential gain to me.

Dawg

I'm just wondering how much of a step up the 8xx series will be compared to a 780 in terms of price and power consumption. Supposedly they are to be released Q1 2014, which was right before I was going to build my new system anyway. SLI still isn't a consideration for me either, even if you can potentially get better performance for less than the best single card solution. The issues aren't worth the potential gain to me.

Honestly, it's hard to tell. The 8xx series was always supposed to be a big leap, but one could speculate Nvidia will lower the bar because it took AMD long enough to catch up.

Nvidia's 7xx series was hardly any better than 6xx (not counting the gtx 780 maybe, it's so close to a titan for half the money) and still AMD didn't beat them that much. They give us a rebranded card against the gtx 770 and even if the 290X is a bit better than the Titan, it won't be that much better than a GTX 780 in the end.

Nvidia has the choice of beating the 290X with a small performance increase or destroying them with a big leap.

Zaph

Silly question but how much of an impact does a gaming rig have on electric bill. I know there are many variables of course. I currently having "gaming" laptop and wondering how much of a difference I'm looking at each month if I build a rig.
At absolute peak, the average gaming PC (assuming you don't SLI or anything else crazy) draws about 400w. Without knowing how much you pay for electricity, it's the equivalent of leaving 6 or 7 60w light bulbs on.

However, this is only during load (gaming or anything else intensive). Most of the time a modern Intel PC idles around 15-50w.

Obviously this doesn't include your monitor or any other peripherals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom