• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Is the difference from PRO <-> Samsung 840 EVO 250GB worth it?

The PRO 256GB is 190$ and the EVO 250GB is 140$

Depends on what you're doing. For most consumers, no. It doubles the write speed from 250 MB/s to 500 MB/s. The read speed is 500 MB/s. Video games might install a few seconds faster after it downloads for several minutes to hours. The bottleneck isn't write speed usually.

But if you're doing stuff like video editing it might.

At work it makes a huge difference with software builds that output tens of thousands of files that net over 5 GiB.

It's frustrating too because sometimes the apps with the biggest potential benefit aren't optimized to use the SSD's write speed. Like disk cloning for example. Typically the imaging software, the network driver, or some other mundane thing is the bottleneck.

Dawg

Depends on what you're doing. For most consumers, no. It doubles the write speed from 250 MB/s to 500 MB/s. The read speed is 500 MB/s. Video games might install a few seconds faster after it downloads for several minutes to hours. The bottleneck isn't write speed usually.

But if you're doing stuff like video editing it might.

At work it makes a huge difference with software builds that output tens of thousands of files that net over 5 GiB.

It's frustrating too because sometimes the apps with the biggest potential benefit aren't optimized to use the SSD's write speed. Like disk cloning for example. Typically the imaging software, the network driver, or some other mundane thing is the bottleneck.

I see. I mainly game and use photoshop, so I guess the 50$ difference isn't really worth it. I just want fast access speed and 250GB :)

Any reason the PRO is 256 and the EVO is 250 though?

Ty4on

Now though, I want to build a system that I can carry around, and I'm also probably going to go with one of Corsair's prepackaged watercooling solutions just to help cut down on the noise factor, and because I'm sick of having to worry about the ginormous heatsink putting all of that stress on the motherboard; making it harder to move too due to the "wobble" factor. Aside from the obvious "will it fit?" questions, I think the biggest hurdle for mATX is getting a good board that you can actually overclock with, on top of it having good thermals in the case.

Thermals can be really good on smaller cases because the heatsinks are (in well designed cases) right next to intakes/exhausts. In my FT03 mini (do not get if you want a silent case, crap SFX PSU ATM makes it noisy at idle even) the CPU is cooled well by a H60 because it's the intake at the bottom.

The SG09 has a bunch of issues, but thermals ain't one. Both it and the FT03 can dual GPU blowers which is great (for rich people) with the 770, 780 and Titan being somewhat silent.
51026.png
51027.png
I see. I mainly game and use photoshop, so I guess the 50$ difference isn't really worth it. I just want fast access speed and 250GB :)

I'm guessing extra caching to keep the speed and longevity up. The Pro has more expensive MLC flash which is faster and lasts longer, 840 has TLC flash which is slower and not as durable (should still be durable enough, should last more than 5 years with 10GB written every day) while the 840 EVO has TLC with SLC (SLC is faster and more durable than MLC even) for caching.

SLC is one bit per cell, MLC two bits and TLC three bits. More bits means more storage (cheaper), but also more wear. I'm rocking a 256GB 830 (MLC), but would love to expand with an 840 EVO. The extra capacity and lower price of mechanical seems insignificant when I suddenly have no bottleneck and no nasty sounds from my computer :p

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

No idea. My guess is that it has to do with how they manufactured MLC (used previously with 830, then 840 Pro) and they decided to move to non-powers of 2 for new TLC manufacturing. Just a guess.

No Love

Banned
Has anyone else modded the BIOS on their GTX 780's for OC'ing? Gonna grab the SVL7 modded vbios and get the cards to 1250-1300 mhz core. I have seen people doing 1600-1700 Mhz core on LN2 with the volt mods... pretty wild. I think on water you can go to around 1400-1500 mhz.

Can't wait til we're doing 2-3 ghz core clocks in a couple years on future GPU's.

Dawg

Does anyone have more Micro ATX options?

That Prodigy M is on top of my list, but it obviously isn't the quietest. Especially not coming from a Corsair 550D like myself.

My budget for the case is maximum $80 though. And it needs to fit a Seasonic X-650, although that will be less of an issue than mITX I bet :p

I've seen quite a few models, but they don't look as good as the Prodigy and/or are even louder.

kharma45

That Prodigy M is on top of my list, but it obviously isn't the quietest. Especially not coming from a Corsair 550D like myself.

My budget for the case is maximum $80 though. And it needs to fit a Seasonic X-650, although that will be less of an issue than mITX I bet :p

I've seen quite a few models, but they don't look as good as the Prodigy and/or are even louder.

Fractal Design Define Mini is pretty nice, quiet too. I also love the Corsair 350D.

Ty4on

The silverstone bronze is fine for noise. The gold is usually ok but if you get a crap one switching the fan is possible.

I just don't feel like voiding the warrenty and I don't think the bronze is that silent at 1300RPM. Newer models have a much better fan, but it would be a gamble to spend that much money hoping it is the right one and I think I'd rather want a bronze one because it is non modular so I can actually fit stuff behind it. Modular when I can only get rid of one cable is kinda silly, especially when space is this tight behind the PSU.

Dawg

Fractal Design Define Mini is pretty nice, quiet too. I also love the Corsair 350D.

Wow, that Corsair actually reminds me of my 550D. It looks great and seems to perform well, according to reviews. Anandtech seems to love it.

And the price is similar to the Prodigy case.

Damn, you got me Kharma :p

kqgaming

Banned
A friend of mine is having some trouble with his gaming rig randomly crashing, and he's tried everything he can think of to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas what else he could try?

Here's all the information he gave me:

He'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

my only solution for your friend is changing the PSU

Dawg

Hmm, yes. I know that is kinda large because the Prodigy is on that picture and that's one of the bigger small cases too.

It's still do-able, but I was hoping to get a case that would really impress me with its small size. The Prodigy was already on the limit :p

asdad123

Just got my ft-03 mini in. God damn this case is tiny compared to my define R4.

Also got my mobo/CPU sold (thanks theshizzle!) so I'll be going to haswell. 4770k to be exact.

Out of these 3 boards, which would you guys recommend?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414947/Z87E-ITX_Socket_LGA_1150_mini_ITX_Intel_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/product/416191/Z87I_Socket_LGA_1150_Intel_mITX_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/product/417349/GA-Z87N-WIFI_LGA_1150_mini_ITX_Intel_Motehrboard

Ty4on

Edit: Dunno who much it will affect Haswell OC, but only the Asrock mobo has eight pin CPU power. One thing my Asrock mobo (Z77) has is the ability to regulate fan speed. The software is crappy, but it does at the very least slows my 3pin fan down to 400-600 RPM at idle which is very nice.

Hmm, yes. I know that is kinda large because the Prodigy is on that picture and that's one of the bigger small cases too.

It's still do-able, but I was hoping to get a case that would really impress me with its small size. The Prodigy was already on the limit :p

Fractal Node 304? Tiny, ATX PSU, space for tower CPU cooler/120mm rad and dustfilter next to the GPU. Googled a pic to show its size.

kennah

Whatever you do, do not look up the CaseLabs Mercury line of cases.
I just don't feel like voiding the warrenty and I don't think the bronze is that silent at 1300RPM. Newer models have a much better fan, but it would be a gamble to spend that much money hoping it is the right one and I think I'd rather want a bronze one because it is non modular so I can actually fit stuff behind it. Modular when I can only get rid of one cable is kinda silly, especially when space is this tight behind the PSU.

I have the Bronze. My H100 pump was louder.

Dawg

Whatever you do, do not look up the CaseLabs Mercury line of cases.

Why do you do this? Is this some kind of reverse psychology? :p

I love the 350D, windowless version. I'd go mATX for that. Fractal Design cases are pretty slick as well.

I think it's a great case, but it looks more mid-case than mini.

I thought you originally wanted ITX, sorry. They are kinda pricy, but the build in Wifi makes it worth it for me.

I did, but the motherboard choices are much better on Micro-ATX.

drexplora

What does GAF think of my rigs balance?!
gots:
i7 870 @3.5ghz OC
8GB DDR3 downclocked (tryin to figure out why)
evga 680 gtx 2gb
sabertooth p55 mobo
corsair tx 650w

kharma45

What does GAF think of my rigs balance?!
gots:
i7 870 @3.5ghz OC
8GB DDR3 downclocked (tryin to figure out why)
evga 680 gtx 2gb
sabertooth p55 mobo
corsair tx 650w

Looks good, I'd be happy if I was rockin' that for 1080p gaming. Could maybe argue for a CPU upgrade next year with Haswell-E but not much sooner than that.

Only thing I'd do is if you don't have an SSD grab one of those.

Dawg

I'm horrible at building a pc. I can't stop comparing things.

I'm such a perfectionist. First world problems blah blah.

kennah

i5 2500k
8GB
Asus GTX-670 DirectCU II Top 2GB GDDR5
SSD Samsung 840 Pro
1TB HDD
Win7

Oof. Gonna have a hard time beating that on your budget.

Put a 3770K, 32 gig of fast ram and a 780 / 290X in there.

Render from a ramdisk.

Or save up longer and get a socket 2011 machine for 2k+

Ty4on

It's the best thing in the world!

If I'm bored I just build a random PC in my head while looking at the prices. I'd really love to see the benches when Titanfall is released and make a PC cheaper than the Xbox One that also runs Titanfall better. Next after that would be beating the PS4 in third party games at a lower price and I really hope SteamOS does well so I can save those 100$ for Windows :p

Dawg

It's the best thing in the world!

If I'm bored I just build a random PC in my head while looking at the prices. I'd really love to see the benches when Titanfall is released and make a PC cheaper than the Xbox One that also runs Titanfall better. Next after that would be beating the PS4 in third party games at a lower price and I really hope SteamOS does well so I can save those 100$ for Windows :p

Haha, that sounds so familiar.

SteamOS would actually be great if it does well. I still remember when I was about to order my pc and forgot about the OS. That was an extra 100$ and I had to rethink my entire build since I was on a budget. When I was finally done, I barely had enough left to cover shipping.

And then it hit me: I also forgot about the aftermarket cooler and optical drive :p

Naito

Oof. Gonna have a hard time beating that on your budget.

Put a 3770K, 32 gig of fast ram and a 780 / 290X in there.

Render from a ramdisk.

Or save up longer and get a socket 2011 machine for 2k+

How about with a i7-3930K, a 660Ti and 16GB of RAM? :(

drexplora

Looks good, I'd be happy if I was rockin' that for 1080p gaming. Could maybe argue for a CPU upgrade next year with Haswell-E but not much sooner than that.

Only thing I'd do is if you don't have an SSD grab one of those.

Yea sounds good, only concern is that the 870 potentially being a bottleneck.
Also your right about the SSD, nothing would come close to giving me that kind of jump in performance.
Thinking about getting one of them asus pcie SSD's. It's a bit more expensive compared to SATA SSD's, but its also faster.
Good selling point as im stuck on SATA2.

One thing I currently am trying to figure out is why my RAM is underclocked from 1333 (666)MHz, to 964 (462)MHz. Im thinking its tied to them preset OC's in my BIOS. Maybe the RAM don't reach the OC so it auto downclocks?
wololoo

Clott

Any of you guys have any experience with the Corsair Carbide Series AIR 540 case?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139022

I have been researching it and I really like the wide design, especially how it separates the power supply/drives from the other parts, it makes for really easy cable management.

I was wondering if there was a similar case that I have overlooked, I can say I am not head over heels with the plastic window, and the really open design makes for a cool case but potentially a bit loud.

Any ideas?

Ty4on

I have the Bronze. My H100 pump was louder.
Sounds like a loud pump :p

Might have to go for it, but I got kinda burned when very few said the gold rated one was noisy. It's not super noisy, but way more sound than anything should make while idling. It's like a laptop that never turns its fan off for a lack of a better comparison.
Haha, that sounds so familiar.

SteamOS would actually be great if it does well. I still remember when I was about to order my pc and forgot about the OS. That was an extra 100$ and I had to rethink my entire build since I was on a budget. When I was finally done, I barely had enough left to cover shipping.

And then it hit me: I also forgot about the aftermarket cooler and optical drive :p

Sucks that everything is so expensive as well. Up here roughly 100$ (500-800,-) will buy you either a decent PSU, a decent case, decent kit of RAM, Windows, decent HDD or SSD, decent mobo, cheap CPU (quad core AMD/dual core Intel) or cheap GPU (7700). On their own they're cheap, but they quickly add up.

I spent so much time thinking of my build I had everything mapped out well ahead. Really helped that pulled the trigger right as the Samsung 830 was at its cheapest (still like 20% cheaper than same(-ish) capacity 840 Pro right now) and the AMD GPUs were falling in price and anything bigger than my 7870 wouldn't fit.
I'd never be perfectly happy though. I'd love a bit more flexibilty and silence, but few alternatives leaves me with a PC so small that this bag houses everything except for my monitor and almost looks empty with all of that gear. I still remember when I first got the case and nothing else and tried just for fun to put it in my backpack. I could even close it :p
ACC-SSN-SSTPA01B.jpg

Edit: Found the pics I took back in late 2012 of it and I have to again apologize for the flash.

Any of you guys have any experience with the Corsair Carbide Series AIR 540 case?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139022

I have been researching it and I really like the wide design, especially how it separates the power supply/drives from the other parts, it makes for really easy cable management.

I was wondering if there was a similar case that I have overlooked, I can say I am not head over heels with the plastic window, and the really open design makes for a cool case but potentially a bit loud.

Any ideas?

I got it. Yeah it can be a bit loud. The fans that ship with it hums a bit. There is a con with a hole under the HDD bay. The SSD compartment in the other side is a bit cramp. The plastic window makes a creak sound when touched.

Other then that it's a good case for airflow. The default is quite nice if you can handle the hum sounds. I'll change the fans later on.

Cable management is quite easy.

kennah

How about with a i7-3930K, a 660Ti and 16GB of RAM? :(
3770 is the best chip that will fit in your current motherboard. If you can do a full on 2011 build that would be your best bet. But would would need higher than the 3820 to really take much advantage over what you already have/could do for cheaper.

Dawg

Sucks that everything is so expensive as well. Up here roughly 100$ (500-800,-) will buy you either a decent PSU, a decent case, decent kit of RAM, Windows, decent HDD or SSD, decent mobo, cheap CPU (quad core AMD/dual core Intel) or cheap GPU (7700). On their own they're cheap, but they quickly add up.

I spent so much time thinking of my build I had everything mapped out well ahead. Really helped that pulled the trigger right as the Samsung 830 was at its cheapest (still like 20% cheaper than same(-ish) capacity 840 Pro right now) and the AMD GPUs were falling in price and anything bigger than my 7870 wouldn't fit.
I'd never be perfectly happy though. I'd love a bit more flexibilty and silence, but few alternatives leaves me with a PC so small that this bag houses everything except for my monitor and almost looks empty with all of that gear. I still remember when I first got the case and nothing else and tried just for fun to put it in my backpack. I could even close it :p
ACC-SSN-SSTPA01B.jpg

Edit: Found the pics I took back in late 2012 of it and I have to again apologize for the flash.

Lol, those pictures are great. Now I REALLY want a small case.

And goddamn, I shouldn't wait this long. XL2411T price is increasing from ~€260 to €290 on MANY places, including the place where I was gonna buy it.

Clott

I got it. Yeah it can be a bit loud. The fans that ship with it hums a bit. There is a con with a hole under the HDD bay. The SSD compartment in the other side is a bit cramp. The plastic window makes a creak sound when touched.

Other then that it's a good case for airflow. The default is quite nice if you can handle the hum sounds. I'll change the fans later on.

Cable management is quite easy.

Hmm, what fans would you recommend? I have been eying this case for a few days now, trying to see the best solutions for it.

zoku88

At least you're not me. I'd be too embarrassed to to show a picutre of my PC. My cables are freakin horrible. Also, I'm very lazy. I forgot to get a bracket for my SSD, so I just stuck it inbetween my old SSD and HDD. Actually, somewhat cozy of a fit, surprisingly.

I also left my old 320 ssd in my pc (just not booting from it).
*hi-five*

Well, either you're my alt. account or my doppleganger. Either way, I'm not long for gaf D:

Hmm, what fans would you recommend? I have been eying this case for a few days now, trying to see the best solutions for it.

According to the overclock.net forums, it's best to get to 3 Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition for the front intake. That's if you don't care about the sound for maximum airflow. If you do care you can get 3 Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition for the front.

and 3 Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition Single Fans. Two at the top for exhaust and 1 at the back.

That's my plan in the future. For now I got no funds for the fans.

This case has great airflow. I was able to overclock 4670k to 4.6 ghz with a phantec heatsink and default case fans.

Naito

3770 is the best chip that will fit in your current motherboard. If you can do a full on 2011 build that would be your best bet. But would would need higher than the 3820 to really take much advantage over what you already have/could do for cheaper.

I will considera a 2011 build – in that case, which CPU would be best? 3930K or 4930K? They currently have the same price over here.

I think it's a great case, but it looks more mid-case than mini.

I agree. If I wanted small form factor, I'd go with something like the node 304. The reason I hated the Bitfenix Prodigy besides feeling cheap touching it in person, was that it was the size of most mATX mini tower cases. They later came out with it in mATX form factor lol.

You kidding? That's the best part of building your own PC. You'll find yourself obsessing with ways to improve or upgrade more than the time you spend playing games lol.

kennah

I will considera a 2011 build – in that case, which CPU would be best? 3930K or 4930K? They currently have the same price over here.

Doesn't matter. They perform almost exactly the same. If the difference isn't very much go for the 4930K just because it's newer.

A friend of mine wants a pre-built PC for gaming and his budget is $1000 to $1500 not including the peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc...).

Any ideas on a direction I should point him in? He is absolutely not into the idea of building one for himself.

kennah

A friend of mine wants a pre-built PC for gaming and his budget is $1000 to $1500 not including the peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc...).

Any ideas on a direction I should point him in? He is absolutely not into the idea of building one for himself.

Hard to get a good one for that money. Since a premium of a few hundred dollars is applied to prebuilts. Telling us the country where he is based would be a good start.

EDIT:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX46484

Tomorrow ONLY Canada.

BenQ
XL2420TX 24in Widescreen 3D LED LCD w/ 3D Vision 2 Glasses Kit (Refurbished)
$299

Frig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom