• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Right now my PC is...

-i7 3770 3.4ghz (Not K)
-8GB Memory
-EVGA 670 GTX 2gb

Realistically how much longer do you guys think I'll be able to use ultra or high settings at 1080p? Right now everything is smooth but I know some games next year will be pushing it pretty hard.

only time will tell. Id be surprised if you weren't good for top graphic settings for at least another year.

My buddy's PC is almost done (I'm building it). He wants to use a 360 controller before he fully transitions over to M/KB. Should he go wired or use a wireless adapter? (cheaper option is preferred)

Also, what is a good wireless adapter? (I hear there are a lot of poor quality fakes.)

Wired.

Ty4on

Only 1 of my 780's is a dual fan blower so I think it'd be ok.

That case is freaking amazing looking. Is it better than the FT03?

It's hard to get good numbers from how well non reference GPU coolers work in that configuration, but the GPU core will be very high up and you want it to be as low as possible for the water/liquid in the heat pipes to go down there and cool it.

It is quite a lot better than the FT03 cooling wise. You can get air between the GPUs and they have a massive fan blowing air over them while the FT03 uses most of the bottom for the PSU. It is quite an old case (2009 I think, has been upgraded for USB 3.0 front panel though) so there should be quite a lot of impressions out there. I never read a lot about it because it was way too big and expensive for me. It is unconventional in typical Silverstone fashion so it might be a bit hard to put together, but it should have a decent manual. That triple fan rad needs some modification (drive cage I think).

What is the consensus on using windows 8 for gaming? Does it increase/decrease performance? I really dislike the metro blocks and would prefer the classic desktop exclusively. Should I stick with windows 7 or make the transition to 8?

kennah

I see. I saw this offer for this already assembled rig: it's pretty much $1k and my first impression is that it doesn't look like a bad deal.
I'd pump up the RAM to either 16 or 32GB. Do you think it could be a viable alternative?
Not really. Video card is exactly the same as you have now. And the benefit of the extra threads is pretty negated by being able to overclock your current processor to 4.5 and beyond. Be a waste of money I think.

Unfortunately since your current computer is so good, you are going to need to spend A LOT of money to build something better than it.

Anyone have experience with the HP zr2440w IPS?

I've been considering it for a while and there's a pretty solid sale going on. Sounds like it's all around great, just has a bit higher input lag than some other IPS. Thoughts?

What is the consensus on using windows 8 for gaming? Does it increase/decrease performance? I really dislike the metro blocks and would prefer the classic desktop exclusively. Should I stick with windows 7 or make the transition to 8?

Increase, but barely so I would not do it for that reason. I'd still recommend upgrading with new Directx features coming and other features. And it is also possible to remove most of the metro stuff if you really do not like it.

The intel hd 4600 is probably as fast as that 5850

Hahahahaha

NO

Another victim of amd's naming schemes

I see. I saw this offer for this already assembled rig: it's pretty much $1k and my first impression is that it doesn't look like a bad deal.
I'd pump up the RAM to either 16 or 32GB. Do you think it could be a viable alternative?

Don't buy medion
Every person I've known that had one over the years ended up with a broken/blown PSU.

That pc is about 900 euros worth (with significantly higher quality parts instead of some generic brand ssd and a terrible case and psu) so you 'd save 100 euros if you built it yourself.

Anyone have experience with the HP zr2440w IPS?

I've been considering it for a while and there's a pretty solid sale going on. Sounds like it's all around great, just has a bit higher input lag than some other IPS. Thoughts?
I have it at work. Great monitor. No issues or problems whatsoever.
I actually wanted to get it for home, but I opted for Dell U2412M instead. It was cheaper and they're basically the same class. Can't go wrong with either one.

Increase, but barely so I would not do it for that reason. I'd still recommend upgrading with new Directx features coming and other features. And it is also possible to remove most of the metro stuff if you really do not like it.
Thanks, I'm gonna try windows 8.1 and see if I like it as opposed to 7.
Guess this is kinda the right place to ask. Anyone have a AC3 Uplay Code they want to sell from their nvidia card?
You might have more luck in the B/S/T thread.

zoku88

I have it at work. Great monitor. No issues or problems whatsoever.
I actually wanted to get it for home, but I opted for Dell U2412M instead. It was cheaper and they're basically the same class. Can't go wrong with either one.

Pretty sure I use this at work as well. My thoughts are the same.

Naito

Not really. Video card is exactly the same as you have now. And the benefit of the extra threads is pretty negated by being able to overclock your current processor to 4.5 and beyond. Be a waste of money I think.

Unfortunately since your current computer is so good, you are going to need to spend A LOT of money to build something better than it.

Don't buy medion
Every person I've known that had one over the years ended up with a broken/blown PSU.

That pc is about 900 euros worth (with significantly higher quality parts instead of some generic brand ssd and a terrible case and psu) so you 'd save 100 euros if you built it yourself.

Ok, thanks a lot for the heads up. Guess I'll stick for a while with the 8.5h of rendering times :/

Hey GAF. I don't know if this has been asked in this thread since I don't know how I would even go about searching for it.

Anyway. I've been out of the PC gaming scene since like 2001. I think the last PC game I played was Black and White. In a day where kb/m was practically your only option for PC. I was wondering if it's worth building a PC now if I have virtually no interest in playing kb/m and using gamepads 99% of the time.

I should also note that I almost never play FPS or RTS. I think I'm on board with a lot of other GAFers that the new consoles already feel gimped and I just want an option for great gameplay on questionable third party games. Also, my laptop is finally struggling with even mundane tasks so that just gives me another excuse to blow a bunch of money.

Meia

I am pretty sure a 770 won't saturate a PCI-e 2.0 slot but I may be wrong.

Ok, this means the idea of upgrading may be more complicated than I thought, of course it would be.

So how important is getting a motherboard with 3.0 going forward? Using the same ivy 2500k processor and ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard I bought 2 years ago. Figured the card was the next step. Though I guess that raises more questions.

ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard
i5-2500k
GTX 560 Ti
650w power supply

What IS the most important thing to upgrade next?

Ieu

I was wondering if it's worth building a PC now if I have virtually no interest in playing kb/m and using gamepads 99% of the time.

I should also note that I almost never play FPS or RTS. I think I'm on board with a lot of other GAFers that the new consoles already feel gimped and I just want an option for great gameplay on questionable third party games. Also, my laptop is finally struggling with even mundane tasks so that just gives me another excuse to blow a bunch of money.

With Valve pushing big picture mode I can see more and more PC games supporting controller only.

kharma45

Ok, this means the idea of upgrading may be more complicated than I thought, of course it would be.

So how important is getting a motherboard with 3.0 going forward? Using the same ivy 2500k processor and ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard I bought 2 years ago. Figured the card was the next step. Though I guess that raises more questions.

ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard
i5-2500k
GTX 560 Ti
650w power supply

What IS the most important thing to upgrade next?

At the moment it's not important. Even a card like the 690 barely makes use of gen 3.

Any single GPU you'll be fine for now with.

MisterM

With Valve pushing big picture mode I can see more and more PC games supporting controller only.

Do it. I have a BPM only PC (you will need a wireless KBAM as backup, my Logitech has a built in trackpad). A hell of a lot of games support controllers, the KB is for those partially supported games where you have to enter your characters name or select Play from a splash screen, these are generally slightly older games anyway. Most that are released now have full native controller support.

So it's just gaming then for you? If so I'd look along the lines of

Trying my best to stick to Newegg

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $922.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-07 18:35 EDT-0400)

If you're near a Microcenter better deals to be had

Anything you would change in this build over the past week? Probably going to order everything tomorrow so checking for any last minute changes :) BTW what kind of performance will this offer for next gen game specs that we know so far?

kharma45

Anything you would change in this build over the past week? Probably going to order everything tomorrow so checking for any last minute changes :) BTW what kind of performance will this offer for next gen game specs that we know so far?

Yeah a few things as some items like the case aren't on sale any more, I'll get back to you in a bit with an updated list.

asdad123

Just got my ft-03 mini in. God damn this case is tiny compared to my define R4.

Also got my mobo/CPU sold (thanks theshizzle!) so I'll be going to haswell. 4770k to be exact.

Out of these 3 boards, which would you guys recommend?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414947/Z87E-ITX_Socket_LGA_1150_mini_ITX_Intel_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/product/416191/Z87I_Socket_LGA_1150_Intel_mITX_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/product/417349/GA-Z87N-WIFI_LGA_1150_mini_ITX_Intel_Motehrboard

Anyone? I'm going to microcenter in about 30 minutes.

New PC incoming for me and I think I did pretty well getting some good discounts for a change:

4770k + 2x 3TB HDD for $499.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1459951
*1 of the 3TB drives will go into the new machine for games and the other into my media server.

CoolerMaster V1000 1000w power supply + G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (4x8) DDR3 1600 for $419.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1451736

Asus Maximus VI Hero for $194.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131989

Lite-On CD/DVD-RW for $17.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16827106289

Corsair 400R case for $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811139008

H100i water cooler for $69.99 (refurb)
http://www.frys.com/product/7856679?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD for $209.00
http://www.frys.com/product/7395124?site=sa:adpages page:p7_FRI date:101113
*going to use this for O/S and main apps install and not games

AData Premier Pro 128GB SSD for $79.99 (shellshocker price on Friday)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211602
*going to use this for SWTOR and scratch space for HDR merging

Not too shabby IMHO. Just need to decide on a video card and a monitor as I'm going to keep my current dual monitor setup on my current gaming PC (Q9650 @ 3.6ghz w/2x 5870s). The new PC will use my Sony PS3 3D monitor as the 2nd screen and a good 24" IPS for the primary.

For the video card, I'm waiting for the benchmarks on the R9 290x and the price. If they are both what I'm expecting (Titan level perf and sub $650), I'll probably bite. If not, I'll get a R9 280x... or maybe 2 of them.

Can I ask why the 4770K if it's a gaming system? You gain 0,0% performance as a gamer, afaik. The i5 saves you $100.

I want that Prodigy M release. RIGHT NOW!

With 32 GB of RAM and 2 SSDs and the monitors I am a bit doubting whether it will be solely a gaming PC. And he mentions the HDR merging.

Can I ask why the 4770K if it's a gaming system? You gain 0,0% performance as a gamer, afaik. The i5 saves you $100.
!

That used to be the stock answer, but that might not be the case with the newer next gen games coming out. More and more games are using those extra threads. I'm glad I got my 2600k. Fuck you i7 haters! :) j/k

4770k for photography. My 36mp D800e needs all the horsepower it can get with Lightroom & Photoshop. The 32GB of RAM are for dealing with the 130mb TIFFs that I have to throw around. When you HDR 12 or so of those together and then have multiple layers in Photoshop going... RAM disappears in a hurry. This will allow me to have a huge RAMdisk too.

For gaming, I fully anticipate we may actually start to see some advantages to hyper-threading with PS4/Xbone ports.

Dawg

That used to be the stock answer, but that might not be the case with the newer next gen games coming out. More and more games are using those extra threads. I'm glad I got my 2600k. Fuck you i7 haters! :) j/k

fuck your sexy avatar :)

4770k for photography. My 36mp D800e needs all the horsepower it can get with Lightroom & Photoshop. The 32GB of RAM are for dealing with the 130mb TIFFs that I have to throw around. When you HDR 12 or so of those together and then have multiple layers in Photoshop going... RAM disappears in a hurry. This will allow me to have a huge RAMdisk too.

For gaming, I fully anticipate we may actually start to see some advantages to hyper-threading with PS4/Xbone ports.

Fair enough ^^

For £1300, how are these specs? Ordering from DinoPC.

Intel Core i7 4770K overclocked to 4.2Ghz
Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Windows 7
16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)
Plextor 128GB M5S SSD
2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Asus Xonar DGX PCI-E 5.1
Corsair Carbide 300R Casing
650W Corsair TX V2 PSU

Also, which of these motherboards would be fine considering what the above specs?

Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5

Another thing, with hard drives, would I choose to have an SSD for the main drive, and then a normal HDD as additional storage?

asdad123

Ended up going with the gigabyte z87n-wifi. Read up a couple reviews and all the itx boards seem to perform comparably so I didn't see the need to spend an extra $20 for the asrock.

If I made a mistake, someone let me know. I can return it Tomorrow lol.

kharma45

For £1300, how are these specs? Ordering from DinoPC.

Intel Core i7 4770K overclocked to 4.2Ghz
Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Windows 7
16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)
Plextor 128GB M5S SSD
2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Asus Xonar DGX PCI-E 5.1
Corsair Carbide 300R Casing
650W Corsair TX V2 PSU

Also, which of these motherboards would be fine considering what the above specs?

Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5

Another thing, with hard drives, would I choose to have an SSD for the main drive, and then a normal HDD as additional storage?

Go for the UD3H, nice compromise between price, quality and features.

And yes SSD for OS and programs, HDD for everything else.

Sanctuary

I want that Prodigy M release. RIGHT NOW!

Ugh. I really love both the look and the size for the Prodigy and Prodigy M, yet the main selling point of the M over the normal should be for two graphics cards. Problem is, if you want to use watercooling, you still are limited to a single graphics card, and you still can't add your own sound card. Onboard has never been as good as a discrete solution. Even if it's better now, I doubt it can compete.

The cooling (for the graphics cards) looks really limited too if you plan on using watercooling. You either give up the top exhaust, or the front intake, and the power supply of the M looks like it sits right in front of the front intake...not good. Although I guess reviews will take care of that concern. They need to get them out there already.

Dawg

Ugh. I really love both the look and the size for the Prodigy and Prodigy M, yet the main selling point of the M over the normal should be for two graphics cards. Problem is, if you want to use watercooling, you still are limited to a single graphics card, and you still can't add your own sound card. Onboard has never been as good as a discrete solution. Even if it's better now, I doubt it can compete.

The cooling (for the graphics cards) looks really limited too if you plan on using watercooling. You either give up the top exhaust, or the front intake, and the power supply of the M looks like it sits right in front of the front intake...not good. Although I guess reviews will take care of that concern. They need to get them out there already.

I'm just going to go with Corsair watercooling (not sure what model though, 100i or cheaper) for the CPU and regular cooling for GPU's, me thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom