• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

I'll get that then. Cheers mate

EDIT: I've completed my part list for my build I'm planning to buy tomorrow. Can someone look over it? Also, how good is SuperBiiz as a merchant?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($303.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1093.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-18 03:12 EDT-0400)

This RAM is cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

As is this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= and

I'd get the Fractal R4 over the 500R.

This Newegg CPU/mobo combo is cheaper by over $50 and gets you a better mobo too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

That MSI 280X doesn't come with the free games the 7970 does. I'd stick to the 7970 for now over it and save yourself the $20-30 after rebate.

For those who care, I just purchased a Dell 2713HM monitor. It's fantastic, however maybe a bit too big not that I'm really complaining, it's pretty fun to have a monitor this big :)
dell-u2713hm-overview3.jpg

Also I just got a Mionix Zibal 60 Keyboard, I have wanted one for a long time and it's fantastic, my only complaint is JESUS CHRIST is this thing loud when typing. This is going to piss my girlfriend off something fierce.

The feel is damn good, and it's very responsive and feels extremely well built. The cables are well shielded. The backlighting is nice also, it's maybe on the pricey side of things but I don't regret it.

kencey

I want to upgrade my old i5 760 (eww).
I need something future-proof, i don't upgrade my pc often.
What should i get i5 4670k or i7 4770k, is HT really worth it ? Will games next-gen make good use of HT, like Crysis 3?

kharma45

I want to upgrade my old i5 760 (eww).
I need something future-proof, i don't upgrade my pc often.
What should i get i5 4670k or i7 4770k, is HT really worth it ? Will games next-gen make good use of HT, like Crysis 3?

That i5 is still a great CPU when overclocked, I wouldn't upgrade it myself yet. What GPU do you have?

BY2K

Membero Americo
So here's my new PC with more details.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Any opinion on it?

kharma45

So here's my new PC with more details.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z87-DELUXE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Any opinion on it?

Good solid PC. I would've avoided the Corsair Builder PSU but apart from that all good.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The Silverstone TJ11 is gorgeous, but I don't plan on going back to the 90 degree motherboard orientation of the FT02/RV02 because I don't want to use reference-cooled videocards and don't plan on water-cooling. If I still want an aluminum case, is Caselabs the only other option?

I have a Little Devil PC-V7. It's overpriced and the company nickel and dimes like crazy, and support is iffy.... But it's a BEAUTIFUL case.

kharma45

Forget about that 620w, since it's not on sale it's not as good a buy. This is on sale atm and is a great PSU for $59 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

It's all the power you'll need for a single GPU set up. The i7 won't really influence power usage by changing to it from an i5.
Lol do these sales last only like days or what lol. I feel bad making you do all this work. I will come Monday when I'm ready to order for certain.

zon

Are games able to take advantage of 32GB RAM or is 16GB enough for the forseeable future?

Haven't seen it mentioned yet: we (NVIDIA) are starting a new bundle on the 28th. If you're intending to buy one our GPUs you should wait, or you'll miss out on free games: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...day-bundle-featuring-heroes-pirates-and-spies

http://www.geforce.com/sites/default/files-world/attachments/nvidia-geforce-gtx-holiday-bundle-with-shield-tiers-v2.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

Will there be any similar offers in Europe?

yeah... thinking of cancelling my xbone and ps4 preorders... so that means $900 more fun money for the rest of the year.

wonder what i can put into my pc for the biggest performance gains. cpu and ram aren't problems, but i'm not confident my 7870 xt will hold up. Maybe sell it and get a 770 or 780?

amd does have great deals for cards and you get a ton of free games... but idk, i'm just not a big fan tbh.

yeah... thinking of cancelling my xbone and ps4 preorders... so that means $900 more fun money for the rest of the year.

wonder what i can put into my pc for the biggest performance gains. cpu and ram aren't problems, but i'm not confident my 7870 xt will hold up. Maybe sell it and get a 770 or 780?

amd does have great deals for cards and you get a ton of free games... but idk, i'm just not a big fan tbh.

That is what I'm thinking too. Only game I want anyway is bf4 till next year now. I wonder what else will be delayed

Seanspeed

Banned
Holy shit at powerline adapters. Best $25 I ever spent.

I was getting 5-6 mbps on the built in wifi from my gigabyte board (compared to the 15-20 I was getting on my P8Z77). I bought a set of powerline adapters from microcenter today, jumped up to 55mbps download!

It was gonna take me 12 hours to DL battlefield 3 last night, now its 38 minutes. Cant go back to wifi lol.
Yep, they truly are magical pieces of tech.

kharma45

Yes from 2.8 stock to 3.5

I would just stick with it then, unless you're into emulation then Haswell would be a good upgrade. If you're not then I'd just save for a Haswell-E set-up next year.

BTW how many watts would this setup use at full load.

At full load with an overclocked 4770K and a 7950 ~400w at very most, and that's me being very cautious.

Guru3D tested the 7950 with a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 system overclocked to 3.75 GHz and the total system used 309w http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_hd_7950_iceq_turbo_review,7.html

I would just stick with it then, unless you're into emulation then Haswell would be a good upgrade. If you're not then I'd just save for a Haswell-E set-up next year.

At full load with an overclocked 4770K and a 7950 ~400w at very most, and that's me being very cautious.

Guru3D tested the 7950 with a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 system overclocked to 3.75 GHz and the total system used 309w http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_hd_7950_iceq_turbo_review,7.html
Cool thanks for info. My electric bill is already insane that is why I ask lol. My gaming laptop that I recently parted with had like 200w power brick though not certain how much wattage that pulled

just not sure whats going on with my gpu utilization on my 680sli

On Borderlands 2 with the most recent Nvidia beta drivers on an i53570k @ 4.2 GHZ I was showing 100% cpu utilization and my gpu's were fluctuating between 45 and 65 gpu utilization. Frames were between 60 and the high hundreds. Probably 80 or so on average.

Should this be of concern? Is this proof of a cpu bottleneck? And borderlands 2 isn't the only game that I get that gpu fluctuation...most games average around the same gpu utilization as the above.

The only time I get 90+ for both is in heaven benchmarking.

huh, first time i've heard about 'open box' items on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121770R

i assume this just mean... refurb? kinda?

The return policy is not great on those items. I'm guessing that they get a lot of returns on those specific cards because they are 3 slot cards and people don't realize that when they buy them. The 3 slot 7970 ASUS sold also had a recent open box deal.

Edit: Never mind about the 3 card slot stuff. That card looks like it has the same cooler as the ASUS 3 slot 7970 but looking closer, it's not; it's a typical 2 slot card.

Crub

I decided to OC my CPU, because I figured why not? Went in to the BIOS and OC'd it.

Since then my computer has refused to start. The motherboard makes one short beep and then instantly restarts. It doesn't reach the boot menu. How do I go about solving this? :S

kharma45

I decided to OC my CPU, because I figured why not? Went in to the BIOS and OC'd it.

Since then my computer has refused to start. The motherboard makes one short beep and then instantly restarts. It doesn't reach the boot menu. How do I go about solving this? :S

Trying clearing CMOS.

Crub

Trying clearing CMOS.

That solved it, thank you! You learn something new every day.

Now onto the next question: why didn't the overclock work and what caused the computer to not start? I just chose the highest clock frequency available in the menu. My CPU is an i5 2500k and it is water-cooled so I figured it would be relatively risk-free.

kharma45

That solved it, thank you! You learn something new every day.

Now onto the next question: why didn't the overclock work and what caused the computer to not start? I just chose the highest clock frequency available in the menu. My CPU is an i5 2500k and it is water-cooled so I figured it would be relatively risk-free.

That's why.

You need to work your way up to it juggling the multiplier and voltage. You'll be able to get to 40x without touching voltage all being well, after that you'll need to start raising it with most i5s. The best you'll likely get is 4.8GHz, maybe 5GHz if you're very lucky.

What I'd aim for first is 4.5GHz and anything beyond that is a bonus. Have you done any OCing before?

having a well paid fulltime job sure is different than my miser college life. can finally glance over at high end gpus lol.

If I want to play games at max with high AA at 1440p 60fps, would a 770 suffice or should i look higher?

I probably could budget out for a titan, but are those really worth the price for the performance?

Also i remember this is something you could do in the past, but can I say use my old 460 as a dedicated physx card these days?

kharma45

having a well paid fulltime job sure is different than my miser college life. can finally glance over at high end gpus lol.

If I want to play games at max with high AA at 1440p 60fps, would a 770 suffice or should i look higher?

I probably could budget out for a titan, but are those really worth the price for the performance?

Also i remember this is something you could do in the past, but can I say use my old 460 as a dedicated physx card these days?

For that get a 7970/280X or a 780. Or you could wait for the 290 and 290X to see how they shake things up.

I wouldn't bother with a 460 doing that, waste of power.

Is this TV good enough to use as a monitor for a good gaming PC?

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/sho...ll-hd-1080p-smart-led-tv.html?hnav=4294959505

My current TV is only 1366x768, and things don't look quite as sharp as I'd like even though it runs 1080p and PS3 games built for 1080p look brilliant on it

Also, what's the difference between Full HD and HD Ready? Same number of pixels, both 1080p, but the model before this one costs like £130 less, and says HD Ready instead of Full HD.

kharma45

So a 780 should be ok doing physx by itself?

Yep. Also, wait for this promotion too

Haven't seen it mentioned yet: we (NVIDIA) are starting a new bundle on the 28th. If you're intending to buy one our GPUs you should wait, or you'll miss out on free games: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...day-bundle-featuring-heroes-pirates-and-spies

nvidia-geforce-gtx-holiday-bundle-with-shield-tiers-v2.png

Is this TV good enough to use as a monitor for a good gaming PC?

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/sho...ll-hd-1080p-smart-led-tv.html?hnav=4294959505

My current TV is only 1366x768, and things don't look quite as sharp as I'd like even though it runs 1080p and PS3 games built for 1080p look brilliant on it

Also, what's the difference between Full HD and HD Ready? Same number of pixels, both 1080p, but the model before this one costs like £130 less, and says HD Ready instead of Full HD.

HD Ready = 720p, Full HD = 1080p. Someone has messed up with the descriptions.

Seems a good TV that F5500 http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue42f5500-201308193252.htm

HD Ready = 720p, Full HD = 1080p. Someone has messed up with the descriptions.

Seems a good TV that F5500 http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue42f5500-201308193252.htm

Definitely the frontrunner

Discount was 20% a week ago, could have got it for £320 :(

Might wait for it to drop in price a bit or the discount to go back up, got plenty of games to play in the meantime that don't make me wish I had a better TV

Shame to abandon Sony, but I'll be buying a PS4 for next to no reason in November to make it up to them :p

kharma45

Definitely the frontrunner

Discount was 20% a week ago, could have got it for £320 :(

Might wait for it to drop in price a bit or the discount to go back up, got plenty of games to play in the meantime that don't make me wish I had a better TV

Shame to abandon Sony, but I'll be buying a PS4 for next to no reason in November to make it up to them :p

Stop being brand loyal, it's a waste of money :p

kris.

Banned
hey guys, quick question! i really wanna get that BP550 psu, but... it's white. and the entire rest of my rig is black. is there anything near that price range and wattage that's black that you'd recommend?

kharma45

hey guys, quick question! i really wanna get that BP550 psu, but... it's white. and the entire rest of my rig is black. is there anything near that price range and wattage that's black that you'd recommend?

If you're in the US grab the Seasonic G 550w for $59 from Newegg, bargain at that price.

Typhest

Neo Member
I've got a tech support question... I recently upgraded my PC build and cleanly installed Windows 8.1 However, I have an issue where randomly when booting, I will post then get a black screen that says Boot Device Not Found. If I reboot, I am able to boot into Windows with no issues. Sometimes this happens on the first reboot, sometimes it takes more for it to boot.

I've checked my RAM for errors (no errors in memtest) and removed my overclock, but it doesn't fix the issue. My SSD was running fine on my old Biostar AM2+ motherboard.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

OS: Windows 8.1 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 CPU: 4670k @ 4.2 ghz GPU: Sapphire 7950 3gb SSD: Kingston SSDNOW 128gb HD: WD Caviar Black 640GB RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 8GB

Dawg

I've got a tech support question... I recently upgraded my PC build and cleanly installed Windows 8.1 However, I have an issue where randomly when booting, I will post then get a black screen that says Boot Device Not Found. If I reboot, I am able to boot into Windows with no issues. Sometimes this happens on the first reboot, sometimes it takes more for it to boot.

I've checked my RAM for errors (no errors in memtest) and removed my overclock, but it doesn't fix the issue. My SSD was running fine on my old Biostar AM2+ motherboard.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

OS: Windows 8.1 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 CPU: 4670k @ 4.2 ghz GPU: Sapphire 7950 3gb SSD: Kingston SSDNOW 128gb HD: WD Caviar Black 640GB RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 8GB

Did you happen to change the boot device order? I remember putting my USB on #1 (because I had to install Windows from USB) and I later deleted the .ISO from the usb but I forgot to change the boot order so it kept giving me that error when I rebooted. HDD/SSD should be your main boot device.

kidko

Anyone with the MSI Z87 G45 having wake from sleep problems? If I leave it on overnight, half the time when I go to use it, it won't respond to my keyboard/mouse and wake up. I can't figure out if it's that the USB goes unresponsive, or it's not waking up the GPU or something... it's weird. Nothing in the sys logs helps point to a problem.

I've tried turning off energy saver stuff and it still happens. It's a weird one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom