• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeb

Hey guys, I installed windows 8.1 and now all my games are in 3d, how do I turn it off?
GTX 770 user if it makes a difference.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone with the MSI Z87 G45 having wake from sleep problems? If I leave it on overnight, half the time when I go to use it, it won't respond to my keyboard/mouse and wake up. I can't figure out if it's that the USB goes unresponsive, or it's not waking up the GPU or something... it's weird. Nothing in the sys logs helps point to a problem.

I've tried turning off energy saver stuff and it still happens. It's a weird one
Have you disabled S3 in BIOS?
Google z87 sleep and poke a bit if possible. Also try having KB + M on USB2.0 if you can.

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHZ 7.6
Memory: 8.00 GB 7.6
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 8.2
Gaming Graphics: 6771 MB Total available graphics memory 8.2
Primary Hard Disk: 167GB free (238GB Total) 8.0
Windows 8 Pro

Base score = 7.6

What does an 8 base score computer look like?

scogoth

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHZ 7.6
Memory: 8.00 GB 7.6
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 8.2
Gaming Graphics: 6771 MB Total available graphics memory 8.2
Primary Hard Disk: 167GB free (238GB Total) 8.0
Windows 8 Pro

Base score = 7.6

What does an 8 base score computer look like?

I7-3770K Delidded @ 5Ghz 8.0
32GB 1866Mhz RAM 8.0
2 x GTX680 4GB 8.1
2x 256GB SSDs RAID 0 8.1

scogoth

So SLI and Crossfire -ing cards are only beneficial if the game take advantage of it? Otherwise, there are little to no improvements?

Almost all major games have profiles from Nvidia or AMD. Even without profiles you can create your own. Unless a GTX Titan or R9 290X are not enough for you don't go SLI or Crossfire.

Is it possible to roll with an amd and nvidia gpu at the same time and 'switch' between them?

Really annoying that most games are 'picking sides' these days.

hmmm that sucks... but I guess something like a 780 ti, or even just a 780 should be able to brute force itself through the next console generation without toooo much trouble right?

diaspora

I'm BSODing as soon as I get past the BIOS screen now. I get the BIOS, then I get the windows logo and then... BSOD and reboot. I tried booting from a recovery disk, but all I get is the windows logo, nothing else. I tried swapping out memory sticks, but nothing changed, same with swapping out GPUs. Could this be a CPU issue?

Addnan

Is it possible to roll with an amd and nvidia gpu at the same time and 'switch' between them?

Really annoying that most games are 'picking sides' these days.

Theres really very little difference even when they pick a side. Just take a look at the AMD evolved games, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Sleeping Dogs etc. They perform pretty much the same on either manufacturer.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yep, they truly are magical pieces of tech.
How exactly do these powerline adapters work? One for the modem/router, which means there will be two ethernet cables connected to that correct? One mainline, then one for the power adapter. Then the other is used for something else in the house, I get that.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Haven't seen it mentioned yet: we (NVIDIA) are starting a new bundle on the 28th. If you're intending to buy one our GPUs you should wait, or you'll miss out on free games: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...day-bundle-featuring-heroes-pirates-and-spies

nvidia-geforce-gtx-holiday-bundle-with-shield-tiers-v2.png

Andy is this promotion available worldwide? Or only in US?

Lum1n3s

Noooooooooooo PcGaf this card JUST went up today and it's already out of stock Sapphire Toxic r9 280x , please tell me this isn't a limited edition card! I want to make sure I can buy it next month early on! ( TДT)
Don't know much about the toxic series so yeah

Azulsky

having a well paid fulltime job sure is different than my miser college life. can finally glance over at high end gpus lol.

If I want to play games at max with high AA at 1440p 60fps, would a 770 suffice or should i look higher?

I probably could budget out for a titan, but are those really worth the price for the performance?

Also i remember this is something you could do in the past, but can I say use my old 460 as a dedicated physx card these days?

Probably worth seeing what the 780ti will do performance wise.

I have a feeling they are moving the Titan Gk110 down to 3GB so they dont have to price drop on the card holding the flagship title.

kharma45

Which 7970 is on par with the R9 280x and is on sale right now?

$280 for either of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127732

Noooooooooooo PcGaf this card JUST went up today and it's already out of stock Sapphire Toxic r9 280x , please tell me this isn't a limited edition card! I want to make sure I can buy it next month early on! ( TДT)
Don't know much about the toxic series so yeah

It's not a limited edition, it's just their top of the range model. It hasn't been in stock from what I can remember.

kris.

Banned
so is solid state really that much more efficient? strongly considering getting a smaller ssd and using it for my OS while i have my games and music and whatnot on an HDD

kharma45

so is solid state really that much more efficient? strongly considering getting a smaller ssd and using it for my OS while i have my games and music and whatnot on an HDD

Speeds are incredible.

How does it compare to the 280x then?

It's clocked the same as a reference 280X, although the likes of Sapphire etc. have upped the clocks. They're all the same GPU, I'd not worry about getting a 7970 over the 280X.

kennah

Anyone want to buy a EVGA GTX 780 ACX for cheap, email me. I bought the GPU on one of my infamous impulses. I used it for one whole day. Selling it at a good price below msrp to recoup losses since newegg does not allow for returns on the item.

If this is bannable then I will delete this email promptly.

Not bannable. You'd probably have better luck if you post where you are, an exact price. And also you should list it in the B/S/T thread.

Help me out PC GAF.

Currently my PC has an AM3 mobo with a Phenom II X3 720. I just bought a 4670k with an Asus z87 mobo. What do I need to do before swapping out my AMD mobo and processor with my new Intel CPU and mobo? Should I just be uninstalling anything AMD driver wise? Or is it ok to just swap the CPU/mobo without doing any kind of software/driver cleanup before the physical switch?

kennah

Help me out PC GAF.

Currently my PC has an AM3 mobo with a Phenom II X3 720. I just bought a 4670k with an Asus z87 mobo. What do I need to do before swapping out my AMD mobo and processor with my new Intel CPU and mobo? Should I just be uninstalling anything AMD driver wise? Or is it ok to just swap the CPU/mobo without doing any kind of software/driver cleanup before the physical switch?

You'll need to do a complete reinstall. Windows would certainly shit the bed if you tried just swapping the parts.

jbpaz

All I need left to buy for my build is a case, I looked over all the ones in the OP but I'm not sure which case has the better air circulation and space. I prefer a window in my case also

kennah

All I need left to buy for my build is a case, I looked over all the ones in the OP but I'm not sure which case has the better air circulation and space. I prefer a window in my case also

air circulation and space are less a problem then they used to be. Power use has gone DOWN not up, so components don't get as hot as they did a few years ago. Also cases are better designed so they do take air flow into account.

That said. The Fractal R4 is one of the better designed cases out there. Plenty of room to work, designed to be quiet, and it comes in a windowed version :)

jbpaz

air circulation and space are less a problem then they used to be. Power use has gone DOWN not up, so components don't get as hot as they did a few years ago. Also cases are better designed so they do take air flow into account.

That said. The Fractal R4 is one of the better designed cases out there. Plenty of room to work, designed to be quiet, and it comes in a windowed version :)

The windowed version doesn't come with the $30 off promo code on newegg /:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom