• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Kharma's avatar makes me happy.

Does the opposite for me. That man ruined my summer, I need to change it.

Well you have to pull double the weight until Mkenyon comes back. :p

I wonder how long his ban has got to go now.

I mostly just lurk this thread, but really enjoy your posts. I've learned a lot just reading you respond to others, lol.

Best way to learn. It's our collective knowledge that makes this thread great.

Dmax3901

Well this is my current PC

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K oclocked to 4ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Memory: 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
Case: CM 690
GPU: HD 6950 1gb
Power Supply: Unsure

I've heard from many people that my CPU should be relatively future proof, but I've been struggling with my 1gb GPU for a while now and would like to upgrade, preferably without upgrading anything else (unless of course I have to).

I've been waiting for the R9 280x stuff to come out, and now we know they're pretty much a 7970, I've been looking at getting one of them.

What do you guys recommend? I'm in Australia which makes talking about price and which retailer a bit difficult.

Vibranium

Banned
Man, I'm trying to put a PC together but I find myself being intimidated by all the different parts and people's opinions :/

I'm going to base a build off of Hazaro's guide I think, ideally something around $1000-$1500. I just want to max out 1920X1080 resolution on most games, I can't make a decision on a GPU though. Maybe I'll go with Nvidia to take advantage of that holiday bundle. Would the 770 have me covered for a few years? Another reason I might not go with AMD is because of the future of G-Sync.

kharma45

That explains it, not really a football expert.

I just know my country (Belgium) did well and qualified for the FIFA World Cup :p

Belgium could be a top, top team at the WC.

also we've two of your players :) Felliani and Januzaj, although Adnan hasn't committed to any international team yet but i still class him as a Belgian.

maneil99

So from what I understand we expect things to look like this right?

Titan/290x
780Ti
780 GTX
770 GTX
280x

Right? Where would a 780 GTX overclocked to 1254 mhz land?

Azulsky

So from what I understand we expect things to look like this right?

Titan/290x
780Ti
780 GTX
770 GTX
280x

Right? Where would a 780 GTX overclocked to 1254 mhz land?

The difference between the Titan and 780 is so small when it concerns 3D rendering. The time where it was reasonable to buy at its current price point(for gaming) passed when the 780 came out over the summer.

You have to remember the Titan is a entry level Quadro as well as being capable for gaming.

Considering the 290X has 60% more W/mm^2 than the GK110 and the 780 is basically butting heads with it at stock clocks I want to see how they compare when overclocked, as 780's can get 20% fps and bench ratings over reference settings. Considering the huge power usage difference I wonder if the 290X can stand overclocks on air coolers.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
GAF I am seriously fucked. Downloaded Win 8. Nvidia not detected so I downloaded nvidia driver. Now my win 8 is stuck on a blue screen when it loads. I can move the mouse. No ctrl alt delete. Just stuck. Every time I reboot I'm stuck at same screen. No win 8 disc/USB to boot to. I have a win 7 disc but it won't load. Win 8 takes over when it asks me to restart computer. No idea what to do.

ss_lemonade

Considering the 290X has 60% more W/mm^2 than the GK110 and the 780 is basically butting heads with it at stock clocks I want to see how they compare when overclocked, as 780's can get 20% fps and bench ratings over reference settings. Considering the huge power usage difference I wonder if the 290X can stand overclocks on air coolers.

Has this been posted here?

http://videocardz.com/46929/official-amd-radeon-r9-290x-2160p-performance-17-games

Is this "uber mode" similar to those auto OC options found in motherboards? The difference is pretty nice but I'm not too sure about the other numbers there. I mean I remember trying Sleeping Dogs at 4k and getting much better results.

Azulsky

Has this been posted here?

http://videocardz.com/46929/official-amd-radeon-r9-290x-2160p-performance-17-games

Is this "uber mode" similar to those auto OC options found in motherboards? The difference is pretty nice but I'm not too sure about the other numbers there. I mean I remember trying Sleeping Dogs at 4k and getting much better results.

Probably what they are using to counter the "Boost Clock" nomenclature that Nvidia uses.

Once again if that is a stock clock 780, then an overclocked one will probably pull even on most of those margins.

And most people who go down the route to spending 700+ on a video card can find it in their heart of hearts to bump up a few sliders on evga precision or whatever program to overclock.

Some of the earlier bench numbers showed the 780 being dead even once more fancy shaders started being activated, at least on Bioshock Infinite where the 290x was a bit ahead with the standard FXAA

Sanctuary

That's also what actually makes the 780 superior to the Titan for gaming. Nvidia doesn't let anyone mess with the default spec with that card.

Dmax3901

Well this is my current PC

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K oclocked to 4ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Memory: 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
Case: CM 690
GPU: HD 6950 1gb
Power Supply: Unsure

I've heard from many people that my CPU should be relatively future proof, but I've been struggling with my 1gb GPU for a while now and would like to upgrade, preferably without upgrading anything else (unless of course I have to).

I've been waiting for the R9 280x stuff to come out, and now we know they're pretty much a 7970, I've been looking at getting one of them.

What do you guys recommend? I'm in Australia which makes talking about price and which retailer a bit difficult.

Anyone? :/

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Fixed! It was extending my display to my TV. That's the reason I could only move my mouse... the rest of windows was on the big screen :p

Tablo

Anyone? :/

Well if you're remotely interested in any of the Nvidia proprietary stuff you could go with a GTX 770 or better, if you're patient though maybe waiting for Maxwell stuff Q1-Q2 next year would be wise.

In terms of sticking with Team Red, a 280X would be a good jump at a good pricepoint. I'm guessing your budget is 300-400~. Also maybe get a better CPU cooler and crank your 2500K up to 4.4+ ghz. Perhaps grab a SSD too (240+ GB) for general system responsiveness and way faster game load times. Even if next gen games are 50~ gb, you can fit a couple at a time you'd want the loading time decreases on, and also games like Planetside 2 really benefit for SSD stuff.

So 300-400 on new GPU.
200~ on a SSD.

That's what I recommend.

Dmax3901

Well if you're remotely interested in any of the Nvidia proprietary stuff you could go with a GTX 770 or better, if you're patient though maybe waiting for Maxwell stuff Q1-Q2 next year would be wise.

In terms of sticking with Team Red, a 280X would be a good jump at a good pricepoint. I'm guessing your budget is 300-400~. Also maybe get a better CPU cooler and crank your 2500K up to 4.4+ ghz. Perhaps grab a SSD too (240+ GB) for general system responsiveness and way faster game load times. Even if next gen games are 50~ gb, you can fit a couple at a time you'd want the loading time decreases on, and also games like Planetside 2 really benefit for SSD stuff.

So 300-400 on new GPU.
200~ on a SSD.

That's what I recommend.

Cheapest GTX 770 in Australia appears to be $465, which is quite a bit more than I want to spend, they also only seem to have 2gb ram. Regarding the 280x being a good jump, how does it compare to a 7970? Is there any point getting one of those over the other or are they pretty much the same?

My 2500k cooler isn't stock, I'm not sure what it is but my friend told me to get a different cooler so if I wanted to clock my CPU I could. It might be Cooler Master? Everything's been running steady at 4ghz so I may crank it up further soon.

SSD is something I want but don't really NEED at this point. How much drama is it transferring (for example) my entire Steam directory and so forth?

Thanks for the reply btw :)

Tablo

Cheapest GTX 770 in Australia appears to be $465, which is quite a bit more than I want to spend, they also only seem to have 2gb ram. Regarding the 280x being a good jump, how does it compare to a 7970? Is there any point getting one of those over the other or are they pretty much the same?

My 2500k cooler isn't stock, I'm not sure what it is but my friend told me to get a different cooler so if I wanted to clock my CPU I could. It might be Cooler Master? Everything's been running steady at 4ghz so I may crank it up further soon.

SSD is something I want but don't really NEED at this point. How much drama is it transferring (for example) my entire Steam directory and so forth?

Thanks for the reply btw :)

Oh sorry didn't see you were in Australia haha
Well the 280X and 7970 are literally the same thing for one, honestly it may suck for now but perhaps waiting a bit to upgrade would be best, since you'd only be jumping 1 generation forward. How much does a GTX 760 cost there? Maybe that could hold you over a year if it's cheap enough.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Question about nzxt's sleeved pci-e power extension cables: I see that the CB 6V is for the videocard's pci-e 6pin power cable but what about the 8pin pci-e power connector? They used to sell an 8pin-to-8pin connector but now they only sell the CB 8V which is 6pin to 6+2pin. I'm guessing the 6pin side connects to your psu and the 6+2pin side would go to the video card? If so, wouldn't it be better to sell the old 8pin-to-8pin version since now 2 pins from your psu's pci-e power cable aren't getting used and 6 of the psu pins are doing the job of 8pins? or does it not matter?

Rufus

No? I'm not selling the 7970 until I get my 290x, that is why I am curious about the selling price then. I'm not selling a 280x, so I don't give a shit about its price.
Okay, I guess I wasn't clear enough. Why would the release of the 290X affect the asking price of your 7970? I'm not seeing the connection.
Whereas I do with the 280X as it is a repackaged 7970 and more or less equivalent to what you'll be selling (i.e. you are, more or less, selling a 280X). If people want that level of performance they would be paying 300$ for a 280X right now. You'll be asking 200$ for that.

So...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($2.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($49.99 @ Adorama)
Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1098.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-19 03:23 EDT-0400)

After reading up on the fan cooling guide in the OP I decided to go with a 3 fan setup: 1 side intake, and 1 roof and rear exhaust. Only question is then are these CM fans any good? The CFM is pretty decent, CM seems to be a reliable brand based on OP recommendations and talk around the thread, and with a current $5 rebate on each I can grab the whole set for a few cents shy of $9.

kharma45

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)

After reading up on the fan cooling guide in the OP I decided to go with a 3 fan setup: 1 side intake, and 1 roof and rear exhaust. Only question is then are these CM fans any good? The CFM is pretty decent, CM seems to be a reliable brand based on OP recommendations and talk around the thread, and with a current $5 rebate on each I can grab the whole set for a few cents shy of $9.

Change the mobo to the Gigabyte UD3H over the G45. Newegg do a combo deal on it too.

If you're not tied in to NVIDIA then at $190 the 7950 is a better buy.

I doubt you'll need so many fans. I added 3 to my 200R and has made zero difference for temperatures. You already get a front intake and read exhaust with the case anyway.

I doubt you'll need so many fans. I added 3 to my 200R and has made zero difference for temperatures. You already get a front intake and read exhaust with the case anyway.

Not to mention the G45 only has three sysfan headers and the UD3H only has four. So unless you're using a fan controller you won't have places to plug them all in.

The CFM is decent because those fuckers are running at 2000rpm. How many fans does the case come with? I see conflicting information, it's either one or two.
Either way, the fan setup is pretty good, but switching the roof exhaust to front intake would give you HDD/SDD-cooling and positive pressure. A rear exhaust is more important than a roof exhaust because it will suck out hot air from the 212.

With those specs and modest overclocks you don't have to look at high airflow fans at all. Go for silence instead. I have an Antec TrueQuiet 140 in my Arc Mini (side intake, switches from 800 to 500rpm). It's a great compromise between noise and airflow and not too expensive. Get one of those and see if you like the fans that come with your case.

Not to mention the G45 only has three sysfan headers and the UD3H only has four. So unless you're using a fan controller you won't have places to plug them all in.
He wants to replace the stock fans and run a three fan-setup.

Atlas157

Well I'm going to build a new gaming PC soon, so I wanna know if this is good for the price. It's going to be my first hand built PC.

CPU & Motherboard: Intel Core i5 4670k 3.4Ghz & GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H $366.98 Combo

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9-280X 3GB Crossfire $639.98

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz $84.99

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i $109.99

HDD: Western Digital WD Black 750GB 7200RPM $99.99

Case & Power Supply Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black Case & Corsair HX750 $234.98 Combo

Total: $1536.91

Will the HX750 be able to handle the Radeon 280Xs? I think it will but I wanna make sure.

As for other case fans I have some laying around that I can use and I'll upgrade to an SSD later on.

Groof

Hey guys, as I'm sure many of you are as well, I'm really anti-noise when it comes to my devices. And my PC makes a lot of noise. Like, a lot. This wouldn't be so big of a problem if it weren't for the fact that I'm by it many hours a day. And because I have no clue about PC parts these days, I'd like to request some help with building a silent PC, mostly during idling, but that can also handle taxing programs and games.

What I mean by that is, handling Adobe CS6 is at least a must. I will not be playing many upcoming big tier games so I don't care much about future proofing, but handling games like Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider (with TressFX) maxed at 1080p60 would be a plus. I'm thinking no overclocking as well.

Is this possible? If not, the next best thing is also appreciated. Here's what I'm working with at the moment:
Motherboard & CPU: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) & Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD6870 1GB
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Case & PSU: Fractal Design Define R3 & Corsair TX650

There's also an old 320GB 7200rpm HDD and a DVD reader inside that I have used for so many years I can't even remember what brands they are.

Is any of this salvageable? Should I build from scratch? If so, I'd put a budget of maybe +/-$1000, and I reside in Sweden. Thanks!

Hey guys, as I'm sure many of you are as well, I'm really anti-noise when it comes to my devices. And my PC makes a lot of noise. Like, a lot. This wouldn't be so big of a problem if it weren't for the fact that I'm by it many hours a day. And because I have no clue about PC parts these days, I'd like to request some help with building a silent PC, mostly during idling, but that can also handle taxing programs and games.

What I mean by that is, handling Adobe CS6 is at least a must. I will not be playing many upcoming big tier games so I don't care much about future proofing, but handling games like Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider (with TressFX) maxed at 1080p60 would be a plus. I'm thinking no overclocking as well.

Is this possible? If not, the next best thing is also appreciated. Here's what I'm working with at the moment:

There's also an old 320GB 7200rpm HDD and a DVD reader inside that I have used for so many years I can't even remember what brands they are.

Is any of this salvageable? Should I build from scratch? If so, I'd put a budget of maybe +/-$1000, and I reside in Sweden. Thanks!
Except for the GPU, this is still really nice stuff.
I'd guess most of the noise comes from the HDD. Get a big SSD and a nice GPU and you're set. Maybe a new PSU could be a good idea as well.

Are you still willing to spend $1000 just for a few upgrades?

Seanbob11

What's the best GPU for ~£250? I'm hoping to play games pretty decently. Just bought most of the other parts I need for my build, got an i7 3770k.

I read that the new AMD GPU's are pretty much just rebrands so should I stick with the 7xxx series? Thanks!

Groof

Except for the GPU, this is still really nice stuff.
I'd guess most of the noise comes from the HDD. Get a big SSD and a nice GPU and you're set. Maybe a new PSU could be a good idea as well.

Are you still willing to spend $1000 just for a few upgrades?

Actually, most of the noisiness started when I installed the new CPU cooler, but the HDD probably makes a lot of noise as well.
I meant that the $1000 budget would be for a completely new build, so if only a few upgrades then a bit lower than that.

Actually, most of the noisiness started when I installed the new CPU cooler, but the HDD probably makes a lot of noise as well.
I meant that the $1000 budget would be for a completely new build, so if only a few upgrades then a bit lower than that.
Download HWMonitor and look at CPU temps and CPU fan speed. Take a screenshot and post it here. Maybe you've set the fan speed too high or something went wrong with the installation. In a well-setup single GPU PC, a mechanical HDD usually is the noisiest component.

Durante

Get a Noctua NH-D14 for your CPU, replace all case fans with Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe (the lowest speed available), replace your HDD with a combination of an SSD and a large WD Green (or similar low-RPM drive), and get a new ASUS DirectCU II GPU (preferably NV for noise). Oh, and you could also get a Seasonic Platinum series fanless PSU.

Groof

Download HWMonitor and look at CPU temps and CPU fan speed. Take a screenshot and post it here. Maybe you've set the fan speed too high or something went wrong with the installation. In a well-setup single GPU PC, a mechanical HDD usually is the noisiest component.

Now that you mention it, there might be something with how it's installed. I'll have to open it up and check. Anyway, here's the stats:
3JRspvY.png

Get a Noctua NH-D14 for your CPU, replace all case fans with Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe (the lowest speed available), replace your HDD with a combination of an SSD and a large WD Green (or similar low-RPM drive), and get a new ASUS DirectCU II GPU (preferably NV for noise). Oh, and you could also get a Seasonic Platinum series fanless PSU.

Duly noted! Thanks a bunch mate :)

Now that you mention it, there might be something with how it's installed. I'll have to open it up and check. Anyway, here's the stats:
Are those idle temps? That's pretty damn high considering your CPU fan is running at 1200rpm. Reinstall the 212.

Pretty good, if a little expensive, suggestions. The NH-D14 is baller and all, but the EVO holds up well paired with a nice PWM fan. Noctua's NF-F12 PWM would be good choice for high end.

Similarly, Noiseblocker make awesome fans, but the Nexus D12SL-12 Real Silent (my recommendation) is also really good and lot cheaper. Turned down a notch it's super quiet.

Can't disagree with the SSD/WD Green-combo. Best of both worlds etc.

With a good fan profile, there's not much difference between the Asus DCII, EVGA ACX, Gigabyte Windforce and MSI Twin Frozr coolers. Take whatever is cheapest at the moment.

Fanless PSU is also a good idea.

LordAlu

What's the best GPU for ~£250? I'm hoping to play games pretty decently. Just bought most of the other parts I need for my build, got an i7 3770k.

I read that the new AMD GPU's are pretty much just rebrands so should I stick with the 7xxx series? Thanks!
A 7970 or R9 280x,. They're both the same card so get whichever is cheaper for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom