• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris.

Banned
$570 _ UPS ground (shipping from NY), insurance.

I literally used it for half an hour. Batman Origins key was activated though.

Pictures available upon request.

shit, i read the original post as a 760 and was like ayyyyy, that's the card i'm aiming for

wish i had the money to buy yours though, sorry bro :/

kennah

Another case other than the R4 then?

It's really really worth the $20. But I'll take a look real quick. Did you have any that you like the looks of? Basically - it doesn't matter what case you want to get. Just get something that you like how it looks since you're going to be staring at it every day.

cyen

Just "semi" finished my new build, still waiting for 290x reviews to decide what GPU i should buy, for now rocking on the intel 4600 :)

ukCJ2hf.jpg

yeah, i know the color of the internals dont match, but that´s not my intention since i got a pretty cheap deal on 16GB of Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz, couldnt pass on that just because of the colour.

The rest of the specs:

4770k - (what a hot bastard, a little disapointed, but i did know it before i bought it)

MSI Z87M-G43 - (Cheap and MATX)

H100i - (bought a swiftech H220 but the pump died after a few hours, after a little investigation around the interwebs it seems it´s a pretty common fault and because of that had to change to the H100i)

CX750M - (for cheap, like the MB had to make a few compromises on some components to drop the overall price of the build, i know that the PSU is one of the components that we shouldnt save money)

Cooler Master N200 - (pretty cheap and i like small form factors)

Corsair 120 GB SSD - (was taken from my old laptop, no money spent here)

Seagate 1TB - (the cheapest 1TB drive i could find)

Hey GAF. Looking to upgrade my GPU. Currently running a GTX 580 (EVGA brand) through a i5 2500k processor with 8 GB of RAM.

That all being said, would it even be close to worth it to choose a GTX780 over a 770? That extra $250 seems damn steep, and besides having an extra gig of RAM doesn't seem to be that much more powerful.

And before anyone recommends AMD, I want an nVidia for that bundle deal where you get AC4, Splinter Cell and Arkham Origins for free.

Thanks ahead of time guys.

kennah

Hey GAF. Looking to upgrade my GPU. Currently running a GTX 580 (EVGA brand) through a i5 2500k processor with 8 GB of RAM.

That all being said, would it even be close to worth it to choose a GTX780 over a 770? That extra $250 seems damn steep, and besides having an extra gig of RAM doesn't seem to be that much more powerful.

And before anyone recommends AMD, I want an nVidia for that bundle deal where you get AC4, Splinter Cell and Arkham Origins for free.

Thanks ahead of time guys.

Go for the 780. I overclocks to near Titan levels. Look up benchmarks of the 580 vs a 680 to see what kind of improvement you'd see. (the 770 is a rebadged 680)

Dawg

I am literally the worst. Built a $1,300 PC and sold it to my friend for $550 a year ago. Wii U sold to my brother for $150 (few days old). Got real world problems mann. OCD is a bitch.

Yup, that sounds like me.

I also compare benchmarks, reviews and prices for like... weeks... before I actually order something.

I also upgrade my GPU and stuff like once every two year (sometimes less) because I want to keep up. I also need a super silent pc because I'm OCD like that.

And there's a load of other stuff too. I actually suffer from mild OCD though :p

chip123

Could anyone help me with buying a pc/parts? Never bought my own before and i have no idea what parts are good or what is overpriced. Should i buy parts and build it myself or just buy a pre-built one? I don't need to run games at ultra settings but high would be nice. I'm looking to spend £1000 at most so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

kharma45

Could anyone help me with buying a pc/parts? Never bought my own before and i have no idea what parts are good or what is overpriced. Should i buy parts and build it myself or just buy a pre-built one? I don't need to run games at ultra settings but high would be nice. I'm looking to spend £1000 at most so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Fill out the OP. Building yourself is best.

obvious question, but 780 ti is probably gonna be part of tier 1 of holiday bundle promotion thing?

so what would even make sense for 780 ti? I mean 780 is about 10% slower than the titan and its not a hard oc to beat stock titan.... where does this even slot in?

chip123

Well basically i've been using this laptop for the past 3 years or so and now i want something beefier.

Your Current Specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5-430M 2.26 GHz @ 2.53 GHz
RAM - 4096 MB, DDR3 PC3-8500F (533 MHz), Kingston
Motherboard - Intel ID0044
GPU - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 - 512 MB, Core: 750 MHz, Memory: 800 MHz
HDD - 320 GB 5400 rpm, 320 GB 5400 rpm Hitachi
Budget: £1000 max, UK
Main Use:Gaming - 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 5, Streaming games in HD- 2, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 3.
Monitor Resolution: Just going to be using my TV probably. 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Prefer 60fps but 30 is ok. How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? - don't know what these are.
When will you build?: Not sure, within the next month or so.
Will you be overclocking?:Maybe

Hope i did that right...

Dawg

OMG. Just got my Steelseries 7H. Have forgotten what good headphones sound like. HIT THE BRICKS iPHONE HEADSET

I've got a Razer Kraken myself (not the awful green one though). Probably not the best out there, but I really like having a decent headset. Feels like you're really in the game.

kharma45

Well basically i've been using this laptop for the past 3 years or so and now i want something beefier.

Your Current Specs:
Main Use:Gaming - 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 5, Streaming games in HD- 2, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 3.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Prefer 60fps but 30 is ok. How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? - don't know what these are.

Hope i did that right...

My man, my laptop has that beast of a CPU too ;)

Yeah that's perfect. Will get back to you with some options soon.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Steam combined with an audio driver always prevented my machine from going to sleep. If you can identify what is blocking sleep there is a command line command that you can use to prevent that particular driver/application from preventing the PC from going to sleep.

Edit: That is if the sleep issue you are having is that it simply will not go to sleep.

I narrowed it down to Steam indeed. But the problem is not going to sleep, it is coming back from sleep. Odd. None of the fixes I found work for Steam.

Thorgal

Regarding the Nvidia announcement of the 780 TI i have a question.

If that card comes with 3- 4 GB (6 GB if we are lucky ) and we base its currently unknown specs as a beefed up 780 Would that be a significant enough power increase compared to a 660 2GB And would such an upgrade be worthwhile ?

Dawg

Nvidia should totally give codes for those game bundles to people who just happened to buy their GTX card too early.

Like, totally.

Sanctuary

I'm so weak. This goddamn thread.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.48 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($192.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $918.43

Was going to wait until next year when the 8xx cards arrive, but fuck it. I doubt I'll even need them for a while to run even the most modern games at 1080p/60fps at decent eye-candy levels. Everything else will just be set to ultra with MSAA or downsampled.
Actually came pretty close to hitting my $1500 limit too, although I wasn't really factoring Windows, and I also ended up buying 2x Noctua fans. Going to use them on the radiator, and either use one, or both of the fans that came with the Kraken as intake fans. If they prove to be annoyingly loud, I'll just replace them later.

Going to wait to see the specs and cost of a 780 TI before getting a card. Plus, that three game bundle already saves me $120 since I was going to get two of the three anyway.

kharma45

Your Current Specs:

Hope i did that right...

Right since you don't need CUDA you're not going to be tied down with regards to your GPU choice, you'll have free reign to go either AMD or NVIDIA. Also note don't get the CPU from Aria, it's just here as it was handy when I was doing it, grab it from Amazon for £176 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CO8TBOW/ and £250 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CO8TBQ0/ respectively

A few ideas:

Just under £830 for this build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Avexir MPOWER Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£57.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£63.79 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.38 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£232.79 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£56.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Be Quiet Pure Power 530W Modular PSU (£66.22)
Total: £826.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-18 23:40 BST+0100)

Case wise you could upgrade to the Fractal R3 (not the newer R4 but still good) for the sake of £4 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/frac...erformance-case-new-cable-routing-noise-absor and that RAM too, PCP wouldn't let me choose but there is red stuff to match that motherboard http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-036-AR

If you wanted we can bump up to an i7 and a better quality motherboard which would take you to £936

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£253.19 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£135.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Avexir MPOWER Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£57.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£63.79 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.38 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£232.79 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£56.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £936.63
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-18 23:42 BST+0100)

You'd be wanting the blue coloured RAM with that motherboard http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-000-AR and with that Fractal R3 case you'd be looking £940 in total for what would frankly be a top class rig, but at present for gaming the i5 and i7 show little difference but that could change down the line.

Money can be saved too on the GPU, you could swap to a 7950 to save £30. There is this Sapphire one with Dabs.com http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphi...ss-3-0-hdmi-boostlite-8TYC.html?q=7950&src=16

The i5 build would probably more than suffice, question is whether to go for the 7950 or the 7970 (or there is the MSI Lightning 680 too at £240). You could always go for something like this too where you get the better mobo and drop the 7970 to a 7950

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£135.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£194.87 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £813.51
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-18 23:55 BST+0100)

Then the usual change to the R3 case and the RAM to the blue stuff to match your mobo.

So a friend is looking to sell his 7970 (it's basically this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102961) for $300 AUD, which is around 30 bucks cheaper than any other 7970 here in Australia, not including postage.

I was pretty keen but I've just found out that the fan noise of this card is ridiculously loud when playing games, anyone care to comment?

Avoid the reference coolers, they're pretty shite.

Dawg

I'm so weak. This goddamn thread.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.48 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($192.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $918.43

Was going to wait until next year when the 8xx cards arrive, but fuck it. I doubt I'll even need them for a while to run even the most modern games at 1080p/60fps at decent eye-candy levels. Everything else will just be set to ultra with MSAA or downsampled.
Actually came pretty close to hitting my $1500 limit too, although I wasn't really factoring Windows, and I also ended up buying 2x Noctua fans. Going to use them on the radiator, and either use one, or both of the fans that came with the Kraken as intake fans. If they prove to be annoyingly loud, I'll just replace them later.

Going to wait to see the specs and cost of a 780 TI before getting a card. Plus, that three game bundle already saves me $120 since I was going to get two of the three anyway.

Pretty similar build to mine, only difference is mATX and the CPU cooler really.

Sanctuary

Pretty similar build to mine, only difference is mATX and the CPU cooler really.

Yeah, I was really considering going mITX and the Prodigy, but I decided to just go with a board that could do SLI eventually. Even if I don't ever actually end up using that feature. Plus, I won't be taking it out of the house much, but wanted something smaller and lighter than an 800d (42lbs empty). I also wanted a case that gave me slightly better cooling options for when I decide to OC the card as well (possible) SLI later on.

The 800d I ended up with really was overkill, but its still a mostly amazing case. After rearranging the fan setup, its been extremely quiet...mostly, and has top notch cooling. Main issue I've had with it though since I've owned it is that there's something wonky with the hot-swap drive bays. There's absolutely no acoustic dampening in them, so if you try putting more than one physical drive in the case, the vibrations just get out of control and produce an incessant thrum. I'm just going to use a single Caviar Black 1TB that I've had sitting essentially unused for a year for my gaming drive in the new case for games that don't really need SSD for a good boost.

Dawg

Yeah, I was really considering going mITX and the Prodigy, but I decided to just go with a board that could do SLI eventually. Even if I don't ever actually end up using that feature. Plus, I won't be taking it out of the house much, but wanted something smaller and lighter than an 800d (42lbs empty). I also wanted a case that gave me slightly better cooling options for when I decide to OC the card as well (possible) SLI later on.

Yeah, understandable. I just know I won't buy SLI or a sound card (fortunately, my asus board has a pretty good sound card, good enough for me).

350D looks amazing though.

Sanctuary

Yeah, understandable. I just know I won't buy SLI or a sound card (fortunately, my asus board has a pretty good sound card, good enough for me).

350D looks amazing though.

Did you end up getting a Rog board? Mine is supposed to have good sound features too, and can power my 600ohm headphones just like my STX, but I might end up using my STX anyway. I'll just have to wait and see how it sounds. I like the fact that the STX has dolby headphone (which isn't too shitty for games with some custom unified drivers someone else made), but I already have an additional external unit that can do that via optical in.

Dawg

780ti and 290x have me tempted, but I'm going to try to wait till next year when Mantle is more mature and Maxwell is released.

Maxwell is pretty much why I "only" picked a GTX 770. I write for a professional gaming website, so I still need a pretty good GPU for recent games, but not over the top.

I'll just get a GTX 880 when the time has come. Together with G-SYNC! :p

Did you end up getting a Rog board? Mine is supposed to have good sound features too, and can power my 600ohm headphones just like my STX, but I might end up using my STX anyway. I'll just have to wait and see how it sounds. I like the fact that the STX has dolby headphone (which isn't too shitty for games with some custom unified drivers someone else made), but I already have an additional external unit that can do that via optical in.

Ended up getting this sweet thing, yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom