• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
here´s with a 780:

ntBroOw.png

What's with 'Uber Mode' and 'Quiet Mode' being essentially the same and lower in some cases? I would figure the clock increase would raise framerates a bit more than that.

cyen

What's with 'Uber Mode' and 'Quiet Mode' being essentially the same and lower in some cases? I would figure the clock increase would raise framerates a bit more than that.

From what i could gather on the overclock.net thread it seems its a mode for overclocking, a higher power limit and agressive fan profile for overclock. The clocks stays the same.

From what i could gather on the overclock.net thread it seems its a mode for overclocking, a higher power limit and agressive fan profile for overclock. The clocks stays the same.

Ah gotcha. It doesn't make sense using it in graphs though if you're going to keep the clocks the same :p I wonder why they didn't OC it?

cyen

Ah gotcha. It doesn't make sense using it in graphs though if you're going to keep the clocks the same :p I wonder why they didn't OC it?

It seems that they are leaked slides, nothing official but they seem legit, im curious about the OC potencial myself, if the comparison with the 780 is true and if 290X have a good OC potencial we could be getting higher than titan performance levels, and since titan is voltage locked and assuming that the 290x isn´t it could be the fastest single GPU in the market after OC (until we see 780TI in action).

Still waiting for oficial reviews to make my decision, currently suffering with the intel 4600.

Edit: New slides

145e32da_original.jpeg

For comparison:

71bdf325_AMD-HD-7990-Performance-635x476.jpeg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Glad my PSU holds up. Also realised my MBO is PCIe 2.0, not 3.0. Though I've heard the 3.0 gains at this point are largely negligible unless you're running SLI.

cyen

Glad my PSU holds up. Also realised my MBO is PCIe 2.0, not 3.0. Though I've heard the 3.0 gains at this point are largely negligible unless you're running SLI.

yeah, pcie 2.0 still have some life on it, as you said 3.0 not worth unless you plan to SLI high end cards,

Sanctuary

Hmm, my current four year old system hasn't really given me any issues aside from needing to reseat my graphics card after getting continual BSOD about two years ago. But I've had one issue that was driving me nuts for the longest time, and I finally just gave up. It's been harmless (AFAIK) to the system in general, and more of an academic issue in case it ends up happening again with my new system.

Sometimes when I've turned on the PC, it will shut down before hitting the post screen, boot up normally after 2-3 seconds and then it's business as usual without any other issues until I power it off at the end of the night. If it happened frequently, it might be easy to diagnose, but it doesn't. It's so completely random and it could happen a few days in a row, or not at all for up to six months.

At first I thought it might be the PSU, but to actually test that, I'd have to replace it for up to a few months, and I've never actually had the system randomly power off after it actually reaches the post screen. I thought maybe it was something in the BIOS, or the CMOS battery was dying, but that wasn't it. If it matters, I've had the system connected to a UPS since I first built it due to the lines around here seeming to freak out in the winter if a single snowflake even glances at them. I also had the issue while the system was both OC and at the default settings, so it's not an OC issue.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Hmm. R290x is going to create some very interesting possibilities. I am very confused between R280x, GTX 770, GTX 780 and now R290x will be added to the list. On one hand 280x and 770 present a very good price to performance ratio, I want to future-proof my system so I also look at 780 and 290x. The price and performance of 290x are going to be really important for me. If its decently priced and performs well, I can see myself going over to the red team for the first time!
We are going to have official reveal on Wednesday, right?

See to me, I don't like to even consider the 770 and 280x since they are rebranded old tech. I suppose if you have something ancient or your gpu fried, they are good deals.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Evilore should send funds to this thread.

Ha I do my best. Hard to resist when I'm out and about a quick check in this thread on my phone.
I loathe typing on my current phone since the screen is inaccurate, slow, and I have to select and rotate the screen to get to the bottom of quotes. We'll see if that changes when I get a new one.
GAF I am seriously fucked. Downloaded Win 8. Nvidia not detected so I downloaded nvidia driver. Now my win 8 is stuck on a blue screen when it loads. I can move the mouse. No ctrl alt delete. Just stuck. Every time I reboot I'm stuck at same screen. No win 8 disc/USB to boot to. I have a win 7 disc but it won't load. Win 8 takes over when it asks me to restart computer. No idea what to do.
Plug your keyboard into a USB 2.0 port
So Gaf, the time has finally come. My HDD is dying in this POS Dell, so I figured I would go ahead and build myself some thing decent. I haven't built my own PC since the turn of the century, so comments are welcome and encouraged.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
HDD: Seagate NAS HDD ST2000VN000 2TB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB
PSU: Corsair HX750 750W
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Am I forgetting anything? Any incompatibilities I should be worried about? Airflow in the case OK?

Thanks in advance. :)
Looks good, I'd swap Snipers for ARES sticks though since they are low profile.
Well I'm going to build a new gaming PC soon, so I wanna know if this is good for the price. It's going to be my first hand built PC.

CPU & Motherboard: Intel Core i5 4670k 3.4Ghz & GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H $366.98 Combo

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9-280X 3GB Crossfire $639.98

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz $84.99

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i $109.99

HDD: Western Digital WD Black 750GB 7200RPM $99.99

Case & Power Supply Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black Case & Corsair HX750 $234.98 Combo

Total: $1536.91

Will the HX750 be able to handle the Radeon 280Xs? I think it will but I wanna make sure.

As for other case fans I have some laying around that I can use and I'll upgrade to an SSD later on.
PSU wattage is fine
I'd go single 290X
Get a 1TB or 2TB drive. That 750GB is old platter tech and slower. Get an SSD.
I probably should have waited for the promo, but eh. Comes with Blacklist, and I've already paid cash money for Bats. That leaves Creed and I'm not fussed about getting that any time soon. Could have hocked off the codes, I suppose.

I guess my biggest fumbles are that I'm still running a 650W PSU and i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz. Hopefully the bottleneck isn't too big, and the PSU keeps up. This really was a pretty stupid impulse purchase and if it comes back to bite me, I deserve it.

On the other hand, I'll be able to sell off my GTX 670 for ~AU$300+ which will cover a good chunk of the investment. Huzzah.
PSU is more than enough.
Why did you upgrade? I've got a 670 and even a 770 or 780 aren't enticing enough for me to upgrade imo. Only problem I ran into was BF4 Beta using just about exactly 2GB of vRAM and I had to lower a setting.

kharma45

I loathe typing on my current phone since the screen is inaccurate, slow, and I have to select and rotate the screen to get to the bottom of quotes. We'll see if that changes when I get a new one.

It's not ideal on my phone since it's only a 3.8" screen but the Windows Phone keyboard is so good it's not too much of a chore. In saying that I want to go big again soon, new Nexus could be a good shout I feel as the Lumia 1520 is just a bit too big.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I kept telling myself to wait for the 800 series, but I dunno. I feel the next upgrade I do won't just be a GPU, it will be a system overhaul, so I might have to hold off jumping right on the 800 bandwagon for a little bit. Not that we know when they'll hit, but yeah. Getting a proper new GPU overhaul, alongside the next crop of CPUs (finally ditching the dual core), will cost me. So if I can hold out with a 4GB 770 that would do me well.

Parablank

Does anybody know if the Microcenter CPU+Mobo deal is only compatible with certain mobos? I want to do 4670k + Z87 Gryphon but the website only lists certain mobos.

For reference:
ES7Z3se.png

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.48 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($58.61 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($316.13 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($109.58 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1031.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-19 19:05 EDT-0400)

This is what I have planned out, but it could definitely change once AMD announces the price of the 290x/290 ($600<= please).

Dawg

I kept telling myself to wait for the 800 series, but I dunno. I feel the next upgrade I do won't just be a GPU, it will be a system overhaul, so I might have to hold off jumping right on the 800 bandwagon for a little bit. Not that we know when they'll hit, but yeah. Getting a proper new GPU overhaul, alongside the next crop of CPUs (finally ditching the dual core), will cost me. So if I can hold out with a 4GB 770 that would do me well.

I got money to blow. I'm getting it in. Letting these bills fall all over your skin · I got money to blow, oh, I got money to blow.

kharma45

Does anybody know if the Microcenter CPU+Mobo deal is only compatible with certain mobos? I want to do 4670k + Z87 Gryphon but the website only lists certain mobos.

For reference:
ES7Z3se.png

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.48 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($58.61 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($316.13 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($109.58 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1031.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-19 19:05 EDT-0400)

This is what I have planned out, but it could definitely change once AMD announces the price of the 290x/290 ($600<= please).

Don't get a Corsair CX PSU, swap it for this whilst it's still on offer, ends very very soon http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

There is no stock of that RAM, cheapest available is this at $72 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

No stock of that 280X either, there is of this Gigabyte http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125475 or for $20 you can just get a 7970 plus the Never Settle bundle which is what I'd do - Sapphire 7970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008 and MSI 7970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127732

Bundle wise I can't be of much help, I would presume it's just what they're listing.

liquidtmd

Banned
Tech GAF - a quick question, and I hope Im posting in the right thread.

Theres about a £30 price difference between my new laptop having an I3 Dual Core 4100M and an I5 Dual Core 4200M. It will be running a Nvidia GT750M- DDR5 GFX Card in either case on 8GB of RAM (again in either case)

What kind of tangible difference (if any) will there be in the running of games / emulators / applications between the I3 and I5 in these cases and ultimately is it worth me putting down the extra cash for the processor bump?

Thanks in advance.

Dmax3901

Are there any options for Australians to buy overseas to avoid the more expensive prices we have here? I imagine a lot of the US retailers don't do overseas shipping, and if they do the postage would be so expensive that it wouldn't be worth it.

I'm now looking at this card http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=23160

Can anyone recommend it?

Thorgal

PSU is more than enough.
Why did you upgrade? I've got a 670 and even a 770 or 780 aren't enticing enough for me to upgrade imo. Only problem I ran into was BF4 Beta using just about exactly 2GB of vRAM and I had to lower a setting.

Would going from a 660 2GB to a 780 (TI depending if it delivers ) Be a worthwhile enough upgrade ?

Thorgal

Yes. Or a R9 290 (not the X). I'd go for the R9 290, it'll probably OC like crazy and offer about 2x the performance you're getting now.

AMD's offer is enticing but ive been so used to with the functions nvidia gives (NV inspector and experience ) that i don't feel like switching to them.

That would pretty much be the use case that would require a 780

yeah only thing i am worried about is if want to give it a small overklock (GPU lightboost 2.0) )would my current PSU be enough ?

Also is my non k 3770 not going to cause a bottle neck for such a card ?

bro1

Banned
Don't worry, you're not alone.

My previous card was a GTX 670 (FTW) as well. Only reason I sold it was the noise. I'll hardly notice any improvement, although I will OC the GTX 770 a little bit.
Really? I did the same thing and my min FPS increased greatly

I probably should have waited for the promo, but eh. Comes with Blacklist, and I've already paid cash money for Bats. That leaves Creed and I'm not fussed about getting that any time soon. Could have hocked off the codes, I suppose.

I guess my biggest fumbles are that I'm still running a 650W PSU and i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz. Hopefully the bottleneck isn't too big, and the PSU keeps up. This really was a pretty stupid impulse purchase and if it comes back to bite me, I deserve it.

On the other hand, I'll be able to sell off my GTX 670 for ~AU$300+ which will cover a good chunk of the investment. Huzzah.

Come on man you could have a 400 watt psu and it would be fine all the same.

Also isn't gtx 670 to 770 a tiny upgrade, like 15 percent?

Sanctuary

I kept telling myself to wait for the 800 series, but I dunno.

That's really what I wanted to do too. I was actually going to wait to do a full system build whenever they ended up announcing the new cards, but reading this thread and then the announcement of the Ti, it's like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Plus, there's a bunch of games that I actually want to play at higher settings now as opposed to March, April, May or whatever.

yeah only thing i am worried about is if want to give it a small overklock (GPU lightboost 2.0) )would my current PSU be enough ?

Also is my non k 3770 not going to cause a bottle neck for such a card ?

When I bought my 680 last year I switched my 530W PSU to a 750 for some wiggle room in the future. Nvidia recommends 600W for the 770 so you are on the low end but it should be ok.

CPU wise you could run into some bottlenecks but it depends on the game of course.

Dmax3901

I'm kinda stumped about which GPU I should be looking at buying.

Last few times I've upgraded it hasn't been anywhere near this complicated. 7970, R9 280x, or should I swap over to the green team and get a GTX 700 series? OR wait til next year?

I'm at a loss.

kennah

I'm kinda stumped about which GPU I should be looking at buying.

Last few times I've upgraded it hasn't been anywhere near this complicated. 7970, R9 280x, or should I swap over to the green team and get a GTX 700 series? OR wait til next year?

I'm at a loss.

What do you have now and how much do you want to spend?

Azzurri

What is a good card to replace a GTX 580 SC? I have a GTX 780, but I'm putting that in my new build coming up.

Don't want to spend a lot around 250ish would be ideal.

Tablo

What is a good card to replace a GTX 580 SC? I have a GTX 780, but I'm putting that in my new build coming up.

Don't want to spend a lot around 250ish would be ideal.

GTX 760 if you absolutely cannot wait, but that's not a large enough jump in my opinion, maybe hold out for Maxwell. That's still a potent card.

kennah

I have a 6950 with 1gb ram. I'd rather spend around $300-$350, but I will go to $400 if it's really worth it.

That is in Australian dollars btw.

Best bang for the buck is a 7970 or 280X (they're basically the same card) Try and find one of those for $350, but go to $400 if you can.

You could go with a 7950 I guess, but you'd see a bigger jump with the 7970.

Azzurri

GTX 760 if you absolutely cannot wait, but that's not a large enough jump in my opinion, maybe hold out for Maxwell. That's still a potent card.

This is just to replace my 580 that I sold in my old rig. I have my GTX 780 for my new rig.

Well, the new PC is up and running and I'm now able to formalize my thoughts:

WHAT THE FUCK WAS INTEL THINKING WITH THE TIM ON HASWELL!

My 4770k was hitting 100c on small FFTs on stock settings!!

Needless to say, I had to delid the damn thing.

Immediate drop of over 25c.... at 4.5ghz!

Worst design choice ever Intel. Go back to solder please.

AcridMeat

Banned
Wait so...if I don't plan on overclocking right away, the 4770k will run exceptionally hot? What? Should I just get a 4770 then? Or hell even a 4670?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Well, the new PC is up and running and I'm now able to formalize my thoughts:

WHAT THE FUCK WAS INTEL THINKING WITH THE TIM ON HASWELL!

My 4770k was hitting 100c on small FFTs on stock settings!!

Needless to say, I had to delid the damn thing.

Immediate drop of over 25c.... at 4.5ghz!

Worst design choice ever Intel. Go back to solder please.

Haan? I am sorry I didn't understand it as I am not very technical. Can you please explain? What does TIM, delid and solder mean?
I have just ordered the CPU so now you have me worried. :(

Wait so...if I don't plan on overclocking right away, the 4770k will run exceptionally hot? What? Should I just get a 4770 then? Or hell even a 4670?

4770 and 4770k are the same cpu, only difference is one arbitrarily has overclocking disabled, and the other one costs more.

They all get hot because there is really poor heat transfer from the die (surface of the cpu chip) to the heat spreader (the metal plate that your heatsink from your cooler connects to) , intel used bad thermal paste to connect them...
I believe you can make it consumer less power (and thereby run a bit cooler) by disabling hyper threading, but if you do that you might as well just buy a 4670k (that one is the same cpu but without hyperthreading enabled)

All the haswell cpus (the 4000 series i5 and i7 like the i7 4770k) get needlessly hot, despite consuming less power than sandy bridge (the 2000 series like the i5 2500k) did in 2011. Because of the bad thermal paste.

Some people delid them (remove the heatspreader manually using a hammer or a razor blade, then remove the bad paste and reapply their own) so that the cooling will work properly and efficiently and they can run at lower (quieter) fan speeds while getting lower temperatures.

Ivy bridge had this same issue, but intel don't care because amd doesn't have a cpu in this performance bracket, no competition = fuck you stupid consumer tardsheep, you'll buy it anyhow.

Your 4770k won't break or anything, it'll just run hotter and your fanspeed will be a lot higher (and noisier) because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom