• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Most sub $100 cases aren't meant to last. I mean, what do you consider 'good'? Something you'd entrust a nice build to? The cheap cases get the job done but I'd really prefer something higher quality from Corsair or Coolermaster. A good one you can cannibalize on all future builds, just like a great PSU. Don't skimp.

Anyone have any experience with the FX-8350? Thinking about moving from an i7 920 (five years old now) as a stopgap till Skylake/Broadwell
If your i7 920 is overclocked reasonably well (they can all do 3.5 Ghz on air, many more), moving to an FX8350 is actually a downgrade in many applications and games. Not worth it.

kharma45

Is the case itself any good? I can always get a different PSU and pop that one in an older PC.

Hard to say, the pics make it look a little crappy. Something like a bitfenix shinobi would be a good place to start. Although that will be about $60 on its own.

For $40 you can get the USB 2 version of the Fractal Core 3000 from Microcenter. I presume they deliver going by the fact it says 'Usually ships in 1-3 business days'

http://www.microcenter.com/product/383061/Core_3000_USB_20_ATX_Mid_Tower_Computer_Case

Is the below oem drive functionally the same as a retail 840 pro 256, and would it have the same warranty? I'm guessing not. Can't find the model or pn listed anywhere.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-8...puting_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item35cd2e7414

Functionality yet. I doubt it would have the same warranty.

Yeah OEM stuff tends to only get a year warranty. No doubt that drive will spike in price soon enough, I'd grab one of these purely for the three year warranty over that eBay one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A1ZTZNM/

http://www.ebuyer.com/409850-samsung-250gb-840-series-ssd-mz-7td250bw

http://www.ebuyer.com/474680-sandisk-256gb-ultra-plus-ssd-sdssdhp-256g-g25

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007R9NRZC/

All sub £130

Cross posting from the "PC is a threat thread"
Here's a useful answer instead of shitty memes and jokes:

Nvidia:
+better drivers (not a bit better, a lot better, nvidia only users' anger at 2-3 games having problems in the past 2 years attests to that, I WISH it was only two games for me)
+better open gl support
+supports downsampling (this way you can have real AA in games that don't have a proper AA solution built into the game, which nowadays is about 80 percent of games)
+supports SGSSAA, another good AA method alternative
+ has physx support (gimmicky particles and cloth tacked on in games)
+shadowplay: game recording using the gpu to encode the video, which means you can record with no real performance hit , this is only relevant if you are someone who makes videos of their games, uploads to youtube or streams on twitch
+ lightboost support (eliminate the terrible motion blur of lcd monitors if you have a 120 hz monitor)
+supports the new gsync thing for monitors, which eliminates screentearing (I will not dignify the lag/stutter part, noone should play with normal vsync on to begin with), which is a really promising meaningful change in how monitors work
+better support for multiple gpus
+consume a bit less power/ performance

-costs on average 30 percent more because fuck consumers they will pay anything if there's no real competition
-rather weak compute performance (gpgpu stuff like gpu physics and whatnot )
-doesn't support the mantle API (see amd section for what it is)

AMD:
+cheaper
+better compute performance
+overclock well
+this mantle API, which right now is unquantifiable, once it's used in some games we will be able to judge it until then we really don't know if it's the best thing since sliced bread or a fart in a bag or anywhere in between
+amd have been working on making their crossfire drivers better

- (and this is my biggest gripe, drivers aside): no viable AA solution to make use of the performance in older games or less demanding games or the average modern game
So I think their higher end gpus (7970ghz and up) are only an option for those with 120hz monitors or multiple monitor set ups (where you have a real use for that performance)

-drivers have been really bad from 2010-2013, it has been better in the past 6 months but it's way too soon to tell if that is just a statistical anomaly or not, I have been soured on their drivers, personally.
Other people who play different games may have had a better experience

-missing the proprietary stuff that nvidia has like physx and lightboost, also no shadowplay for recording (can't remember if they had an amd alternative right now)

-won't be able to use the g sync monitors (well you can use them but not use the variable refresh rate from g sync)

At the lower-mid end i'd probably recommend amd, even though it's a gamble on drivers imo
If you play a lot of older games,definitely go for nvidia (no real aa support on amd to make them look better, there's only SSAA and the amd version has not worked for me in a lot of games, and the performance cost is huuuuuuuge, too huge for something like a 7850 for example)
Whatever you do ,do not buy a gtx 660ti 2GB, that card is a one off with a crippled memory bus, a bad apple.

At the mid-high end (7970ghz and probably 290) you choose between a better price, or AA support
I wouldn't buy either tbh.... fuck nvidia for overpricing, fuck amd for not having an AA solution (seriously, what the fuck is wrong with them)

At the high end (290x) I don't see the point of this gpu unless you have multiple monitors or a 120hz monitor, and we have no idea what the price will be yet or where the high end nvidia prices are going in the next week, need to wait and see.

Thank you for being amazingly thorough.

These are the main points of my build, or rather what im aiming towards....

1) 60FPS is GOD. No compromise, no debate. Im building a PC primarily for Framerate performance.

2) Im not really interested in gaming above 1080p. I do have an 27 imac that I can use to game at 1440p but its not a big deal for me. Im happy with both the mointor and tv I have.

3) I want to be playing alot of emulators and older games. Newer gamea are of course important but i want to look backwards as much as forwards.

4) I play aloy of action games (DMC, Gow etc) and alot of fighters. I dont give a shit about things like crysis, BF4 and the like. Edit: I also have no interest in kb/m games and genres. Controllers all day everyday.

5) I want a card that runs as cool as possible to put in a HTPC. however Im building a HTPC that can fit a full ATX motherboard.

6) No interest in AMD cpus. Itel may be more expensive but I prefer Intel.

7) Im basically building a super powerful second console. I want to use a combination of BPM and XBMC as my UI.

8) I am willing to spend about $450 on a gpu but if i spend that much, I expect it to last 5 years.

With that all in mind, do you guys have any recommendations?

Ive been told that the r280x is probably my best bet, but im just trying to get as much feedback as possible..

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Just remember this sentence.

It beats "would you like to try one of our new yogurt flavors" which I'm doing now. I don't want to name the company, but I have to sell accessories and services. The good news, is that I'll get commission at least.

That link is a goldmine.
KuGsj.gif

Calidor

GAF I'm getting a lot of "Out of video memory" Windows errors + crashes when I'm playing dota (downsampled a little bit) + something else open (like twitch or VLC)

I have a 660 Ti + Windows 8 and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Is this normal or should I be worried? can I get it fixed if I get a 680 or something like that?

No Love

Banned
GAF I'm getting a lot of "Out of video memory" Windows errors + crashes when I'm playing dota (downsampled a little bit) + something else open (like twitch or VLC)

I have a 660 Ti + Windows 8 and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Is this normal or should I be worried? can I get it fixed if I get a 680 or something like that?

Strange. Why not close those apps? And if your 660 Ti is 2 GB, you should still have enough VRAM.

I get "Out of memory, please close apps" etc warnings but that's due to having a small page file.

Calidor

Strange. Why not close those apps? And if your 660 Ti is 2 GB, you should still have enough VRAM.

I get "Out of memory, please close apps" etc warnings but that's due to having a small page file.

hmm I do have a SSD, so I disabled the page file completely in order to extend the life cycle of the drive. Might be because of that?

Igo

Yeah OEM stuff tends to only get a year warranty. No doubt that drive will spike in price soon enough, I'd grab one of these purely for the three year warranty over that eBay one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007R9NRZC/

All sub £130
Thanks. After reading some reviews i'm probably going to go for the 840 evo 250gb which is £130 on Amazon over the kingston hyperx drive you posted above, but just to be sure, you'd definitely go with those over the oem at £115?

Also, wtf happened to ram prices? Looks like they've doubled since I build my comp in early 2012. Are SSD prices high right now too?

kharma45

Thanks. After reading some reviews i'm probably going to go for the 840 evo 250gb which is £130 on Amazon over the kingston hyperx drive you posted above, but just to be sure, you'd definitely go with those over the oem at £115?

Also, wtf happened to ram prices? Looks like they've doubled since I build my comp in early 2012. Are SSD prices high right now too?

EVO is a great drive, you'll not be disappointed.

RAM prices are going up as supply is ramping down. SSD prices are the lowest they've been but have stopped falling of late.

AcridMeat

Banned
RAM prices are going up as supply is ramping down. SSD prices are the lowest they've been but have stopped falling of late.
That's the dilemma I'm in with ram. Do I get something right now, or will the deals that happen around Black Friday and Cyber Monday still be cheaper despite rising prices?

No Love

Banned
hmm I do have a SSD, so I disabled the page file completely in order to extend the life cycle of the drive. Might be because of that?

Yes. And you always need a page file. And disabling the page file won't extend the life of the drive, that's a huge horrible myth that needs to be dispelled.

Re-enable it and make it around 1500-2000 MB.

NIN90

Looks like I need a new PSU and I'm looking for recommendations. For reference, I'm sporting an i5 3570 and a 660Ti. 550w should be enough, right?

kris.

Banned
went out and bought a hyper 212 evo just in case i wanna overclock (probably will) and ohmygodthisthingissofuckingbig

and the instructions are so vague

Durante

went out and bought a hyper 212 evo just in case i wanna overclock (probably will) and ohmygodthisthingissofuckingbig
What would you say if I told you that it's not even all that large as far as tower coolers go? You'd flip out if you saw a NH-D14 or a PH-TC14PE ;)

Probably between low and medium. Medium is probably better than PS3/360, but low is probably worse.

Plus according digital foundry runs at 1152x720 on 360 with PS3 coming in at 1152x640.

Thanks guys.

Second question, based of what we have seen of Next gen console games, how does that compare? Would u say for example something Like battlefield 4 on xbox one, is that comfortably close to high setting on many PC games?

I'm looking to buy an SSD finally. I currently have a 1TB mechanical drive. I have a few questions. Is it pretty easy to manage data with a 128ssd and a 1tb secondary mech? I'll be using it mostly just for Steam. Also is the Samsung EVO the go-to? I don't really mind going to 250 if it makes my life a lot easier.

Barzul

Ok PCgaf, I need help deciding on a new GPU. Right now it's between the Radeon 7950 and GTX 760 2gb. I'm trying to figure which of this cards is more future proof. The Radeon 7950 has more RAM, but I keep hearing Nvidia has much better drivers and more games designed around it's GPU's with Physx. But then there's the potential of Mantle. Has anyone used both cards?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Wow I spent 5 hours building my first PC but I came to an issue...I dont see any SATA power cords. I checked my PSU box and its like 4 pins to molex. I looked at my case and the only 2 remaining cords that I see are 2 Molex cables. I did see SATA cables but not the SATA power things :(

case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146075

power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

Im posting from my neighbors PC atm so will check back soon. Im going to check for cabels again.

Dawg

What would you say if I told you that it's not even all that large as far as tower coolers go? You'd flip out if you saw a NH-D14 or a PH-TC14PE ;)

Yet the NH-D14 is a lot easier to install than the CM 212+ Evo :p

I'm looking to buy an SSD finally. I currently have a 1TB mechanical drive. I have a few questions. Is it pretty easy to manage data with a 128ssd and a 1tb secondary mech? I'll be using it mostly just for Steam. Also is the Samsung EVO the go-to? I don't really mind going to 250 if it makes my life a lot easier.

Samsung 840 EVO 250gb price is pretty good atm, not THAT MUCH higher than 128gb. I'd get 250, them steam games fill 128gb faster than you'd think! :p You're gonna put Windows on it too, right?

kharma45

Ok PCgaf, I need help deciding on a new GPU. Right now it's between the Radeon 7950 and GTX 760 2gb. I'm trying to figure which of this cards is more future proof. The Radeon 7950 has more RAM, but I keep hearing Nvidia has much better drivers and more games designed around it's GPU's with Physx. But then there's the potential of Mantle. Has anyone used both cards?

Both perform similarly. Driver was for stability both are good but Nvidia offers more features for theirs like TXAA, upcoming G-Sync and a few other things.

Since the 7950 is cheaper I'd get it unless you need CUDA.

bogg

I got a ssd a couple of months ago, decided to go with a 250 GB drive so I won't have to worry about space, currently I have windows on it and a few games and that use up 64 GB. I'd still recommend a 250 drive if it fits in your budget.

Barzul

Both perform similarly. Driver was for stability both are good but Nvidia offers more features for theirs like TXAA, upcoming G-Sync and a few other things.

Since the 7950 is cheaper I'd get it unless you need CUDA.

Is the r9 270x as good as the 7950? It seems most of the cheaper 7950 cards are sold out on newegg and AMD is no longer making those cards (I think?).

kharma45

Is the r9 270x as good as the 7950? It seems most of the cheaper 7950 cards are sold out on newegg and AMD is no longer making those cards (I think?).

It's based off the 7870 so no.

wtf has happened all the 7950 pricing :| everything has rocketed in price! You might as well buy a 7970 at those prices.

Thanks guys.

Second question, based of what we have seen of Next gen console games, how does that compare? Would u say for example something Like battlefield 4 on xbox one, is that comfortably close to high setting on many PC games?

It's really hard to say at this point. On one hand, the Xbox One and PS4 are new and the developers haven't optimized every last ounce out of it the way they have for the 360 and PS3, at the same time, they probably won't optimize games on the PC as well to begin this next generation of games. High and Ultra settings on a good PC of BF4 will still blow away a PS4 and Xbox One, especially if you do 1400p monitors or 120hz monitor.

This is coming from someone that has a decent PC(2600k, gtx 670) and has the PS4 and Xbox One pre-ordered. I prefer the PC, but consoles have their place with certain genres and the exclusives that won't end up showing up on the PC. But if you had me play Sophie's Choice with my consoles and PC, I'll choose to save my PC every time.

kennah

Damn. Someone listed locally "Samsung DDR3, 2x4gb" I thought it was magic ram, but it was only 1333. Might pick it up anyway because it's cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom