• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbpaz

double check your connections

I only have one 6-pin PCI-E power cable running from my PSU to my 7970. It came with a 8-pin to 6-pin adapter with it, since I don't have an 8-pin PCI-E power cable. Do I have to connect another 6-pin cable to the adapter to the 8-pin slot next to the other 6-pin slot? Basically PCI-E cables from my PSU need to power it correct?

maneil99

780 is btter then the 290x if you are willing to OC easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvZaHHU4I8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw

Throttles almost out of the box. That 780 can easily be pushed another 50 mhz. More if you unlock the power limit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o
also alot better for small cases because its not this loud.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_r9_290x_review/18

Especially as, with the current cooler, there is no extra performance to be had from overclocking, unlike the monster gains we see on the GTX780 when overclocked. If anything this feels like the first version of something brilliant, a great GPU with enormous potential being held back by the surrounding elements. The performance is enough to gain it our OC3D Performance award, only time will tell if there will be a Gold worthy variant.

Garteal

I only have one 6-pin PCI-E power cable running from my PSU to my 7970. It came with a 8-pin to 6-pin adapter with it, since I don't have an 8-pin PCI-E power cable. Do I have to connect another 6-pin cable to the adapter to the 8-pin slot next to the other 6-pin slot? Basically PCI-E cables from my PSU need to power it correct?
If you have another 6-pin PCIE cable you can use the 6-pin to 8-pin cable and plug the 8-pin part in your GPU. Otherwise you'll have to search for an 8-pin PCIE cable in your shops.

Thorgal

They're all quiet. Powersupplies have changed since back in the day. I was very pleasantly surprised when I had to go and replace my 10 year old Antec.

I see.

In that case ill see what i can get at my store in terms of price .

Any personal preference for these ?

Seanspeed

Banned

So you've got a 6 pin slot and an 8 pin slot, right? You'll want to plug in both. Its not supposed to be an either/or thing. Things needs some power. Feed it.

jbpaz

So you've got a 6 pin slot and an 8 pin slot, right? You'll want to plug in both. Its not supposed to be an either/or thing. Things needs some power. Feed it.

okay good. I was worried that it would be too much power. It's my first build and the video card manual nor PSU manual said what connectors I needed to plug in.

Seanspeed

Banned
okay good. I was worried that it would be too much power. It's my first build and the video card manual nor PSU manual said what connectors I needed to plug in.
Dedicated graphics cards need more power than anything else in the build. Its why you judge your power supply needs based pretty much solely on what sort of graphics card(s) you'll be running.

Has that solved the issue?

jbpaz

Dedicated graphics cards need more power than anything else in the build. Its why you judge your power supply needs based pretty much solely on what sort of graphics card(s) you'll be running.

Has that solved the issue?

Yes it has. Running like a beauty. Thank you, mate.

maneil99

How often do you guys clean your PC? Thinking about buying some Compressed air and blasting it out, its only been about 2 months since I had it cleaned when I was repairing the faulty water cooler. Also how do you clean the D14. Do I really need to unmount it....

kris.

Banned
hi guys! so. bit of an issue... got my PSU in today (seasonic 550w) and plugged it into my mobo to make sure everything powered up properly (still missing a hard drive and a CPU). LED on the mobo came right on, pressed the power button, fans ran fine for about 30 seconds and then smoke started coming out of the mobo near the RAM. i unplugged it immediately, tried it again. now it won't power on at all.

just how fucked am i?

jbpaz

Thar she blows. My first build. She's lovely.

ihXPtYq.jpg

Specs:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($375.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1160.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-24 18:45 EDT-0400)

kennah

hi guys! so. bit of an issue... got my PSU in today (seasonic 550w) and plugged it into my mobo to make sure everything powered up properly (still missing a hard drive and a CPU). LED on the mobo came right on, pressed the power button, fans ran fine for about 30 seconds and then smoke started coming out of the mobo near the RAM. i unplugged it immediately, tried it again. now it won't power on at all.

just how fucked am i?
super fucked. Did you have the ram in backwards? Or the board shorting out on something?

kharma45

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B007Z1DOX2/

Thanks .

Think i might go with this one since i like my system quiet .

Good choice?

Yeah the Dark Power is a fantastic PSU. Only downside is the price but it's no more expensive than anything else on Amazon.fr

double check your connections

Yes it has. Running like a beauty. Thank you, mate.

Didn't get a chance to reply but I had a feeling that'd be it! Glad to see you got it sorted.

Specs:

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Very, very nice! All that's left is getting a good cooler down the line to let that 4670K stretch it's legs!

Well, I'd appreciate it if we don't exceed $130...(budget)

I'd head to the B/S/T thread then if you can't afford the extra for the Tahiti 7870.

Seanspeed

Banned

Specs:

Excellent.

One small suggestion to take or leave - move your HDD down to one of the lower slots and remove that entire middle drive cage. Doesn't seem like you need it for anything and it'll give you better airflow. Not a huge deal, but why not?

jbpaz

Quick question. When I boot up my pc, I don't get a Gigabyte splash screen or anything. Just that screen I posted up earlier that says to boot an os. I'm installing Windows 8 right now. It's just odd.

EDIT: It now shows up after I installed Windows.

Do I have to flip a setting in my BIOS for my SSD?

kharma45

Hello ladies, and gents,

Would this be a solid build? Yes, I know it doesn't have a GPU in there, but that is because I am waiting to see how Nvidia is going to react to AMD's recent pricing. Anyhow, I don't mind starting with this for now so I can get the ball rolling.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/c3t/saved/2Egt

Full tower case seems overkill. Do you really need a BR drive and all that RAM?

I'd also swap the PSU to this 1050w XFX Gold one, cheaper and it'll be just as good http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...6&vpn=P11050BEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1145

c3t

Banned
Full tower case seems overkill. Do you really need a BR drive and all that RAM?

I'd also swap the PSU to this 1050w XFX Gold one, cheaper and it'll be just as good http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...6&vpn=P11050BEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1145

RAM wasn't really expensive so I decided to just chuck it in there. The case, I see. I do have BR movies so yea I do need a drive. I'd rather not have to use my sister's ps3 for that anymore.

Is there a case you would recommend?

kharma45

RAM wasn't really expensive so I decided to just chuck it in there. The case, I see. I do have BR movies so yea I do need a drive. I'd rather not have to use my sister's ps3 for that anymore.

You'll need to pay for software too then to watch films as that's just a bare drive by the looks of it.

Also at those sort of prices it'd be worth looking into Socket 2011 and the 4820K unless you're into emulation where Haswell is better by far.

Josh378

Ok, I was able to narrow it down to these three motherboards, I was wondering what would be your recommendation: (Intel i7 4770k processor)

ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979

ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131989

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Intel Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130692

Recommendations?

c3t

Banned
You'll need to pay for software too then to watch films as that's just a bare drive by the looks of it.

Also at those sort of prices it'd be worth looking into Socket 2011 and the 4820K unless you're into emulation where Haswell is better by far.

News to me, mind explaining? If not, I could look into it. If you are talking about the lack of OS, I have a windows 7 ultimate lying around here so that would not be a problem.

kharma45

News to me, mind explaining? If not, I could look into it. If you are talking about the lack of OS, I have a windows 7 ultimate lying around here so that would not be a problem.

It's not the OS that will stop you playing BR movies, you need the BR codec to watch them and you need to pay for it.

c3t

Banned
It's not the OS that will stop you playing BR movies, you need the BR codec to watch them and you need to pay for it.

Yea, that just clicked with me right now. lol.. My apologies. Hmm, I shall look into that.

ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard:

I've heard good things about this board. I would not know about the others.

Josh378

I've heard good things about this board. I would not know about the others.

Yea, I was kind of leaning towards that motherboard, but I was reading other sites as well and was recommended the other two boards, but I think that board could be the best of the three.

jbpaz

My 1TB HDD doesn't show up on windows explorer. Just my SSD. I know its connected properly since it detected it when I was choosing my Windows 8 install location. Any idea?

Jzero

My 1TB HDD doesn't show up on windows explorer. Just my SSD. I know its connected properly since it detected it when I was choosing my Windows 8 install location. Any idea?

You maybe need to initialize it through Disk Management?

zoku88

Okay I made it GPT and now it says Unallocated.

Then you format it (make it into one or more partitions.)

If it's windows, you most likely will choose ntfs partition types.(I think you can just right click on the drive and choose the size/type)

kennah

It needs to be partitioned and formatted before use. Right click Computer in the Start Menu and click Manage. It will be under Disk Management.

jbpaz

Then you format it (make it into one or more partitions.)

If it's windows, you most likely will choose ntfs partition types.(I think you can just right click on the drive and choose the size/type)

New simple volume?

EDIT: Boom got it! Cheers mates

senahorse

Ok, I was able to narrow it down to these three motherboards, I was wondering what would be your recommendation: (Intel i7 4770k processor)

I have this board and have been very pleased with it. I am using it for SLI 780's, it's great for SLI as it has an extra slot between the cards to space it out.

Here is a pic of it here to show you the spacing I am talking about:

hero_zpscf4ec1e0.jpg~original

Josh378

I have this board and have been very pleased with it. I am using it for SLI 780's, it's great for SLI as it has an extra slot between the cards to space it out.

Here is a pic of it here to show you the spacing I am talking about:

hero_zpscf4ec1e0.jpg~original

Hey, what Box is that you are using. holds soo much room...

Canon

Banned
I need a new hard drive. I don't want to reinstall Windows if possible (since I'm scared the product key won't work since I used it a bunch, albeit legitimately. I bought Windows 7.)

So I'm looking at either an SSD or a Hybrid SSD / Hard drive. Since it'll be used for a while as just storage, I'm thinking going the hybrid route. Problem is I can only find 2.5" ones which are for laptops.

I'm looking to spend under $100 Canadian for about 500 GB (or more).

This is what I was looking at, but it's for laptops?
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=80985&promoid=1145

EDIT: Oh hey, this looks like what I need.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=89407&vpn=ST1000DX001&manufacture=Others&promoid=1145

I don't need anything else, right? Just stick it in my bay and connect the cables? Or would I need to buy something to install it..

Jzero

So I'm looking at either an SSD or a Hybrid SSD / Hard drive. Since it'll be used for a while as just storage, I'm thinking going the hybrid route. Problem is I can only find 2.5" ones which are for laptops.

Good luck finding a 3.5 inch SSD.

kennah

Good :)

Odd question... Does anyone have an 'intel i7' sticker from their cpu manual/warranty that they don't need? I upgraded but don't have the sticker. (I really like the stickers)

xJavonta

Banned
Probably not the best place to ask but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case someone can help me out

So I installed Mac OS X Mountain Lion on a separate 320GB drive. Works perfect and I've been using it for weeks with no problem.

However, when I decide to boot into Windows I no longer can. It's installed on the 120GB drive that has been in the PC since I built it, and after installing OS X it refuses to boot. I can access it by selecting Windows from the iAtkos/Chimera/whatever OS X boot menu, but gives me an error when it tries to start Windows 8.

Any clues? If you need anything more specific I can try to give details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom