• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibbed

GTX 780 is at a nice price in the UK right now. All depends how much you want to spend.

£300 at most I think, I can probably get £80-100 on ebay for my 560Ti so I can justify a few hundred quid on a card.

Thanks, I'll start looking at 780's then. Are there any new cards on the horizon coming in the next few months that I should be mindful of?

kharma45

£300 at most I think, I can probably get £80-100 on ebay for my 560Ti so I can justify a few hundred quid on a card.

Thanks, I'll start looking at 780's then. Are there any new cards on the horizon coming in the next few months that I should be mindful of?

Non-reference 290Xs and the 290, although you're not going to go wrong with the 780.

Jibbed

Non-reference 290Xs and the 290, although you're not going to go wrong with the 780.

Cheers. I've been out of the loop for nearly a year PC component-wise so I've got some catching up to do.

Heard good things about the new 290X but I think that's going to be a little out of my price range. After the difficulties a friend of mine had with his 6950 (heat, noise, drivers etc), I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable investing in an AMD card anyway.

kharma45

Cheers. I've been out of the loop for nearly a year PC component-wise so I've got some catching up to do.

Heard good things about the new 290X but I think that's going to be a little out of my price range. After the difficulties a friend of mine had with his 6950 (heat, noise, drivers etc), I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable investing in an AMD card anyway.

AMD drivers with the 7000 series onwards are equally as stable as Nvidia, just less feature rich.

290X is a decent card but I wouldn't buy it over a 780 at the minute due to that god awful reference cooler.

Jibbed

AMD drivers with the 7000 series onwards are equally as stable as Nvidia, just less feature rich.

290X is a decent card but I wouldn't buy it over a 780 at the minute due to that god awful reference cooler.

Ok, thanks.

Just quickly looked up 780 prices and yeah, that isn't happening haha. £400+ for a card is too much, even with a price cut I don't think I can manage that. Is the 770 good value for money? I'm seeing 2GB cards for £260-280, and 4GB for around £300.

Edit: Palit JetStream 4GB for £304. Yea or nay?

a3b1e62135.jpg

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Pop quiz.

I currently have a Q9450 w/8GB RAM and a 550Ti.

I am considering getting a GTX 770 in the current sales.

How bad of a CPU bottleneck am I looking at?

kharma45

Pop quiz.

I currently have a Q9450 w/8GB RAM and a 550Ti.

I am considering getting a GTX 770 in the current sales.

How bad of a CPU bottleneck am I looking at?

Have you overclocked it?

Ok, thanks.

Just quickly looked up 780 prices and yeah, that isn't happening haha. £400+ for a card is too much, even with a price cut I don't think I can manage that. Is the 770 good value for money? I'm seeing 2GB cards for £260-280, and 4GB for around £300.

After the recent price drop its fairly good yeah, better value than the 280X atm. I'd lean towards it over the 280X because of the games bundle it has as you'll get Batman: AO, Splinter Cell and AC4 for free whilst with the 280X you get fuck all at the minute.

OK, I've decided on a CPU and motherboard (i5 4670K and Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H), now I need to select a GPU. I probably want a GTX 760, 770 or maybe 780. Below I've listed the prices of the MSI Twin Frozer videocard with each chip as a way to compare the prices in the Netherlands. I haven't decided on an actual manufacturer yet, I just used the MSI line as a constant so I could compare the prices.

* GTX 760 2GB - €225 (MSI N760 Twin Frozr Gaming 2GD5/OC)
* GTX 770 2GB - €275 (MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming 2GB OC)
* GTX 770 4GB - €330 (MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB GAMING)
* GTX 780 3GB - €435 (MSI N780 Twin Frozr Gaming 3G5/OC)

What would you guys pick in my position? I'm aiming for a mid-high range PC that will be able to comfortably run next-gen games for at least a while. I may overclock, since the CPU and motherboard are equiped to handle it. BTW, I don't really care I get Batman Arkham Origins with the GTX 770 and 780, so that is not added value.

Addnan

OK, I've decided on a CPU and motherboard (i5 4670K and Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H), now I need to select a GPU. I probably want a GTX 760, 770 or maybe 780. Below I've listed the prices of the MSI Twin Frozer videocard with each chip as a way to compare the prices in the Netherlands. I haven't decided on an actual manufacturer yet, I just used the MSI line as a constant so I could compare the prices.

* MSI N760 Twin Frozr Gaming 2GD5/OC - €225
* MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming 2GB OC - €275
* MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB GAMING - €330
* MSI N780 Twin Frozr Gaming 3G5/OC - €435

What would you guys pick in my position? I'm aiming for a mid-high range PC that will be able to comfortably run next-gen games for at least a while. I may overclock, since the CPU and motherboard are equiped to handle it. BTW, I don't really care I get Batman Arkham Origins with the GTX 770 and 780, so that is not added value.
GTX 780 is a completely new card, its a compeltey different monster to the 770. Get the 780 if you can.
MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming for $100 or ASUS P8Z77-V LK or $105?

The latter.

kharma45

MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming for $100 or ASUS P8Z77-V LK or $105?

ASUS

Which 770 should I buy at Newegg?

$325 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Either that €225 770 or the 780.

I wanted to recommend the 780. The 770 Gaming is also an option, both graphics card already have the price cut from yesterday applied.

You can see this and figure out if you think it is worth it:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/827?vs=829

You can also buy a cheaper card now and buy a new card in a few years.

EDIT: The normal 770 also runs games now pretty well. But I think video memory will be too low for upcoming games quite quickly.
EDIT 2: Also, you should probably go for the MSI line since I think they are the only ones right now in The Netherlands that seem to have applied the price cut.

kharma45

I wanted to recommend the 780. The 770 Gaming is also an option, both graphics card already have the price cut from yesterday applied.

You can see this and figure out if you think it is worth it:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/827?vs=829

You can also buy a cheaper card now and buy a new card in a few years.

EDIT: The normal 770 also runs games now pretty well. But I think video memory will be too low for upcoming games quite quickly.
EDIT 2: Also, you should probably go for the MSI line since I think they are the only ones right now in The Netherlands that seem to have applied the price cut.

Plus their European RMA base is in The Netherlands too which should make for a speedy turnaround should anything go wrong.

Thanks for the responses!

Looking at the prices and this graph, it seems to my inexperienced eyes that the GTX 770 is a good sweet spot between price and power. Also, going by the 'build tier' recommendations in the OP and on http://www.logicalincrements.com/, a 780 sounds like slightly overkill for the CPU and motherboard I'm using.

By the way, the OP recommends getting a 4GB 770, but does not clarify why. I did some searching and it seems most people think that 2GB is enough, especially for my single-monitor setup. What should I go for, 2 or 4 GB?

how is gigabyte in terms of customer service warranty and all that jazz?

I usually went evga because of there good service, but this 780 is a hella good deal based off reviews for the price.

Addnan

how is gigabyte in terms of customer service warranty and all that jazz?

I usually went evga because of there good service, but this 780 is a hella good deal based off reviews for the price.

Gigabyte have pretty quick turn around if anything goes wrong, 3 year warranty too. I know EVGA are really good in USA. Do they still offer that insane lifetime warranty?

Addnan

Don't buy the classified for that much money. Really not worth $100 more. For that kinda money you are approaching 780 territory.

Don't buy the classified for that much money. Really not worth $100 more. For that kinda money you are approaching 780 territory.

yeah evga ain't the cheapest.

apparently gigabyte is alright, i see 2gb windforce for $335. 4gb one is $390. Those are pretty damn aggressive pricing for the OC potential i'm looking at from a quick google.

kencey

I would just stick with it then, unless you're into emulation then Haswell would be a good upgrade. If you're not then I'd just save for a Haswell-E set-up next year.

I followed your advice, i'm staying with my current system. I'll wait till next year to upgrade motherboard/cpu/memory.

I just recently bought one MSI R9 280x, but i'm a bit worried with bottleneck
My current setup:
I5 760 @ 3.5 (should go for 4.0 if possible?)
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Corsair 4gb ram (should i buy 8gb ram? or maybe 16?)

kharma45

I followed your advice, i'm staying with my current system. I'll wait till next year to upgrade motherboard/cpu/memory.

I just recently bought one MSI R9 280x, but i'm a bit worried with bottleneck
My current setup:
I5 760 @ 3.5 (should go for 4.0 if possible?)
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Corsair 4gb ram (should i buy 8gb ram? or maybe 16?)

Try for 4GHz, no harm in finding out how far you can get. I got my i5 750 to 3.8GHz. CPU won't really bottleneck you in most games, it's still plenty strong.

RAM might be worth upgrading at some point, if you took yourself up to 8GB in total you'd likely be fine for a good while.

Anyone know why my stock i3-2100 fan sometimes doesn't start? This is the second time it happened in the last couple of months. I've had this PC for around 2 years now. It gets annoying because I only notice this when I get low FPS in a game. Restarting the PC won't fix it. I have to open my case and spin the fan a bit then start my PC. I might have to replace this but I don't really need any kind of performance HSF. Even something like the 212 feels unnecessary since I can't overclock and I need to move to laptops eventually.

kharma45

Anyone know why my stock i3-2100 fan sometimes doesn't start? This is the second time it happened in the last couple of months. I've had this PC for around 2 years now. It gets annoying because I only notice this when I get low FPS in a game. Restarting the PC won't fix it. I have to open my case and spin the fan a bit then start my PC.

Stock cooler? Check the wire hasn't come loose and is blocking the fan from spinning.

Stock cooler? Check the wire hasn't come loose and is blocking the fan from spinning.
Nope, no wire getting in the way. I usually check it before closing my case. I tried spinning my fan and it still feels as smooth as ever.

I also started to have this weird issue where Shut Down outright crashes Windows, but Restart is fine.

so what does it mean for

GIGABYTE GV-N780OC-3GD REV2.0 GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card

what does it mean when its a 450w card? Thought 780's need about 250 watts... or is the 450 related to the fans?

Addnan

so what does it mean for

GIGABYTE GV-N780OC-3GD REV2.0 GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card

what does it mean when its a 450w card? Thought 780's need about 250 watts... or is the 450 related to the fans?

Something to do with the fans.

IMACOMPUTA

How is the 780 the card to get? They're comparing it to a 7970 and it's almost twice the price.
Did I just screw up buying 2x280x's?

Addnan

How is the 780 the card to get? They're comparing it to a 7970 and it's almost twice the price.
Did I just screw up buying 2x280x's?

780 comparing to a 280X? It compares to the 290X at a slightly lower price. The 290X shines at 4K due to wider bus.

edit: I might not be understanding what you are saying.

GPU and memory are all that are left in the air.

This is what I have so far:

i7 3770K - $265
ASUS P8Z77-V LK - $105
Corsair 200R - $35
Corsair 650TX - $35
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $15
Western Digital 1TB Blue - $55
CD/DVD Driver - Free

Total so far $510

The hope is to get a 7970/280X and 8 GB of Ram in the $300 range. Goddamn 7970 price hike is kill me.

Also, does anyone else feel like the world's burning outside of this thread?

GPU and memory are all that are left in the air.

This is what I have so far:

i7 3770K - $265
ASUS P8Z77-V LK - $105
Corsair 200R - $35
Corsair 650TX - $35
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $15
Western Digital 1TB Blue - $55
CD/DVD Driver - Free

Total so far $510

The hope is to get a 7970/280X and 8 GB of Ram in the $300 range. Goddamn 7970 price hike is kill me.

Also, does anyone else feel like the world's burning outside of this thread?

only thing burning are all these hot deals for nvidia cards.

So glad i canceled my 2 next gen console preorders. tired of all that launch bs. will grab those in 1-2 years.

IMACOMPUTA

780 comparing to a 280X? It compares to the 290X at a slightly lower price. The 290X shines at 4K due to wider bus.

edit: I might not be understanding what you are saying.
I guess it's because the 290x wasn't out yet, but someone posted some quotes from a review that said that 780 embarrasses the 7970.
I'd sure hope so at that price ($650 at the time?)
I had been going back and forth between 290x and dual 280x's and now the 780 pops up.
Crossfire problems aside, dual 280x's should spank the 780 at 1440p right?

Addnan

I guess it's because the 290x wasn't out yet, but someone posted some quotes from a review that said that 780 embarrasses the 7970.
I'd sure hope so at that price ($650 at the time?)
I had been going back and forth between 290x and dual 280x's and now the 780 pops up.
Crossfire problems aside, dual 280x's should spank the 780 at 1440p right?

The raw power of the two will beat it yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom