• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
only thing burning are all these hot deals for nvidia cards.

So glad i canceled my 2 next gen console preorders. tired of all that launch bs. will grab those in 1-2 years.

I'd consider GTX 770 if it fits the budget. What pushes me in the AMD direction is the fact that I'm building this for a person who is almost 100% focused on playing BF4 and if the mantle update works out, a 280X/7970 may punch above it's weight in a noticeable way, at least in the one game he's interested in.

kharma45

I guess it's because the 290x wasn't out yet, but someone posted some quotes from a review that said that 780 embarrasses the 7970.
I'd sure hope so at that price ($650 at the time?)
I had been going back and forth between 290x and dual 280x's and now the 780 pops up.
Crossfire problems aside, dual 280x's should spank the 780 at 1440p right?

Yes.

As I said when the 280X/7970 is clocked well it isn't far behind

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/61413-sapphire-radeon-r9-280x-toxic/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7406/the-sapphire-r9-280x-toxic-review

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-280x-toxic-edition-oc-3gb-review/

I'd consider GTX 770 if it fits the budget. What pushes me in the AMD direction is the fact that I'm building this for a person who is almost 100% focused on playing BF4 and if the mantle update works out, a 280X/7970 may punch above it's weight in a noticeable way, at least in the one game he's interested in.

curious about mantle as well, especially when a 280x is already enough to make out bf4 (i think?) at 60fps. How much better can it run/look, reeeally?

Bollocks, when is my Gigabyte GTX 670 going to feel this nvidia price drop? I want to go SLI but it is still only 50$ less than a GTX 770! boooooooo

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
So for how long do you guys consider it safe sticking to one PSU? I never really considered switching for safety reasons, as I have yet to have a single PSU die on me. I think mine might be getting kinda old, but I honestly don't have any good frame of reference. I have a Corsair HX620W which is presumably quite a well built PSU, but it's about 5-6 years old now, so the warranty ran out some time ago. Should I bother switching it out? Kinda blew my most of my budget on a GTX780 so if I do switch it out it would be for something relatively cheap like a CoolerMaster Silent Pro M II 520W. But I'd rather not spend any more money unless I have to. :F

kharma45

So for how long do you guys consider it safe sticking to one PSU? I never really considered switching for safety reasons, as I have yet to have a single PSU die on me. I think mine might be getting kinda old, but I honestly don't have any good frame of reference. I have a Corsair HX620W which is presumably quite a well built PSU, but it's about 5-6 years old now, so the warranty ran out some time ago. Should I bother switching it out? Kinda blew my most of my budget on a GTX780 so if I do switch it out it would be for something relatively cheap like a CoolerMaster Silent Pro M II 520W. :F

Strange to see it having 3x 12v rails.

I'm not sure how to feel about it. If it were my own PSU I'd bang on ahead and presume it was OK but when it's someone else I'm not sure. Factoring in the age of the PSU plus the loss in power over those years part of me would say change it for something like this 650W Rosewill for $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

nbthedude

I'm a big fan of the 7970/280x. I've had one for a year and it's done me well. But I think it's a bit unfair to directly compare dual 7970/280x with vanilla Geforce 780s.

First because you are looking at at least $100 more for the dual set up over a 780. Second because heat and noise is going to be way higher on the dual card set up, which also leads to less overclocking headroom.

I like both AMD and Nvidia and I'm glad Nvidia is actually being price competitive at the mid-high tier again (it's been a while). But I had dual 6870s for a couple of years and after that experience I have a hard time wanting to ever go back to a dual card set up again. I know AMD has improved dramatically in drivers for their dual card set ups. But I'm talking more interms of software support, trouble shooting, noise, heat, etc. Single card set ups are just way more convenient and easier to deal with.

Having to render double the pixels is not going to be solved by mantle.

not gonna solve downsampling, and im 90% sure your friend wouldn't even have noticed ;)

Hey, I'm sure you guys are right. I have no idea how mantle will effect higher resolution performance. Really I'll happily recommend a GTX770, 280X or 7970 if I can fit it with 8 GB of RAM and keep it close to $300. As of now that's a little tricky but I will find a way!

Edit:
This combo gives me hope:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1462569
$315 after mail in rebates.

I just need that, but with a card that does not have known cooling issues.

kharma45

I'm a big fan of the 7970/280x. I've had one for a year and it's done me well. But I think it's a bit unfair to directly compare dual 7970/280x with vanilla Geforce 780s.

First because you are looking at at least $100 more for the dual set up over a 780. Second because heat and noise is going to be way higher on the dual card set up, which also leads to less overclocking headroom.

I like both AMD and Nvidia and I'm glad Nvidia is actually being price competitive at the mid-high tier again (it's been a while). But I had dual 6870s for a couple of years and after that experience I have a hard time wanting to ever go back to a dual card set up again. I know AMD has improved dramatically in drivers for their dual card set ups. But I'm talking more interms of software support, trouble shooting, noise, heat, etc. Single card set ups are just way more convenient and easier to deal with.

Those benches aren't for dual 280Xs, it's for a single one at 1.1GHz.

Addnan

Hey, I'm sure you guys are right. I have no idea how mantle will effect higher resolution performance. Really I'll happily recommend a GTX770, 280X or 7970 if I can fit it with 8 GB of RAM and keep it close to $300.

I'm not actually sure what the whole conversation here was lol, just saw mantle + downsampling. Either way, you can't go wrong with a 280X

nbthedude

Those benches aren't for dual 280Xs, it's for a single one at 1.1GHz.

I know that. I was talking about his question about the dual 280x vs the 780. My point was those benches don't tell the whole story. They are essentially comparing overclocked 7970s with vanilla 780s. And when you start talking about a dual 7970/280x set up you are talking about at least $100 more, a lot of noise, heat, and configuration headaches.

Personally if someone offered me the choice between dual 7970s and a nice overclocked 780, I'd take the later even at the same price. Less headaches and more overhead room for future improvement/upgrades. Especially if it also came with a free great game bundle. I think the 780 at $500 is definitely a better value than dual 280s right now.

trh

Strange to see it having 3x 12v rails.

I'm not sure how to feel about it. If it were my own PSU I'd bang on ahead and presume it was OK but when it's someone else I'm not sure. Factoring in the age of the PSU plus the loss in power over those years part of me would say change it for something like this 650W Rosewill for $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Alright fair enough. I'd totally go for that PSU, but it's not available where I live. The CoolerMaster Silent Pro M II 520W is on sale though, and is practically the only viable PSU I can see under €50 (unless I get a non-modular). I'll probably take a closer look at my current one before I decide whether to go for a new one or not, though.

kharma45

I know that. I was talking about his question about the dual 280x vs the 780. My point was those benches don't tell the whole story. They are essentially comparing overclocked 7970s with vanilla 780s. And when you start talking about a dual 7970/280x set up you are talking about at least $100 more, a lot of noise, heat, and configuration headaches.

Personally if someone offered me the choice between dual 7970s and a nice overclocked 780, I'd take the later even at the same price. Less headaches and more overhead room for future improvement/upgrades. Especially if it also came with a free great game bundle. I think the 780 at $500 is definitely a better value than dual 280s right now.

I'd rather have a single card too, but what was asked was whether dual 280Xs would be more potent than a 780 at 1440p, which they are.

Alright fair enough. I'd totally go for that PSU, but it's not available where I live. The CoolerMaster Silent Pro M II 520W is on sale though, and is practically the only viable PSU I can see under €50 (unless I get a non-modular). I'll probably take a closer look at my current one before I decide whether to go for a new one or not, though.

Where abouts in Europe are you?

trh

Where abouts in Europe are you?

Sweden. I've already spent something like €800 so I'm contemplating just biting the bullet and getting something nice instead to ease my mind. Maybe the Be-Quiet Pure Power L8 CM 630W, at about €75. Will have to think on it while I wait on the final parts to arrive.

This is my current completely none upgraded computer from 2011 (well except some harddrives and shit).

Code:
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB S-1155	 	 	 
Intel DP67BGB3 ATX S-1155	 	 	 
8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kingston HyperX (4x2GB)	 	 	 
1280MB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX570 GDDR5 PCI-E
750W Corsair TX CMPSU-750TXEU 140mm

and my graphic card is really starting to feel its age, not on an extremely big budget but looking at a gtx 760 4gb, would that be a terrible idea? I have a bad habit of not following hardware at all when I get a new computer for a few years.

Addnan

This is my current completely none upgraded computer from 2011 (well except some harddrives and shit).

Code:

and my graphic card is really starting to feel its age, not on an extremely big budget but looking at a gtx 760 4gb, would that be a terrible idea?

That's a decent upgrade I would say. Overclock your CPU if you haven't.

kharma45

Sweden. I've already spent something like €800 so I'm contemplating just biting the bullet and getting something nice instead to ease my mind. Maybe the Be-Quiet Pure Power L8 CM 630W, at about €75. Will have to think on it while I wait on the final parts to arrive.

Be Quiet! is good stuff, as is XFX/Seasonic and the Seasonic-based Corsair units.

Code:

and my graphic card is really starting to feel its age, not on an extremely big budget but looking at a gtx 760 4gb, would that be a terrible idea? I have a bad habit of not following hardware at all when I get a new computer for a few years.

What the fuck Wooden, a stock 2500K.

760 is a good solid card, performance jump is this http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/831?vs=854

bro1

Banned
I have a 600 watt Silverstone Strider (rated Silver but almost Gold according to PCPER). I want a second 770GTX to run SLI. Whats the PSU I should get to do this?

Hi Gaf,

This is my current build from 2 years ago:

Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Evga GeForce GTX 580
8 gigs of DDR3 2000 ram
120 GB Intel SSD
1.5 TB Western Digital HDD
Corsair 750W (Rated Silver)
ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme CPU Cooler
Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower

My GFX card to be exact is: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Now my question is, can I use 2x EVGA GeForce GTX780 Superclocked 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit Dual-Link DVI-I DVI-D HDMI DP SLI Ready Graphics Card (03G-P4-2785-KR) PCI Express 3.0
without changing anything else in my build or is there any upgrades I should make?

Thanks!

kennah

Hi Gaf,

This is my current build from 2 years ago:

Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Evga GeForce GTX 580
8 gigs of DDR3 2000 ram
120 GB Intel SSD
1.5 TB Western Digital HDD
Corsair 750W (Rated Silver)
ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme CPU Cooler
Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower

My GFX card to be exact is: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Now my question is, can I use 2x EVGA GeForce GTX780 Superclocked 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit Dual-Link DVI-I DVI-D HDMI DP SLI Ready Graphics Card (03G-P4-2785-KR) PCI Express 3.0
without changing anything else in my build or is there any upgrades I should make?

Thanks!

You're probably good. Might have to update your power supply, but it might work as is.

Think you misunderstood his outrage, OC!

It was good advice, just overclock, pls.

My CPU already runs so fucking hot for whatever reason, I've cleaned the bitch of all dust but ... It's pretty hot, I would install some cooling system and OC but I'm lazy and usual will probably end up breaking something.

Don't forget to sell your 570. You could still pretty easily get $100 for it.

Yeah I should do this, usually just think all my hardware won't get me any money and keep it forever in a box.

kharma45

My CPU already runs so fucking hot for whatever reason, I've cleaned the bitch of all dust but ... It's pretty hot, I would install some cooling system and OC but I'm lazy and usual will probably end up breaking something.

On the stock cooler? if so that's why, it's clean shite.

Kiant

Yeah the 780's at £399 with all 3 of the bundled games is mighty tempting argh, wish I knew how effective Mantle was going to be.

pa22word

Posted this in the 700 series price drop topic, but since this seems to be more active I'll post it here too for good measure:

Two more before I pull the trigger [on the 770 4GB]: will I see any drop offs vs the others from 1440p when using OGSSAA (trying to determine when the 256 bus will kneecap me)? About how much better is this than my current card in the 1GB flavored 5870, percentage wise?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm tempted to grab another 770 4gb with the price cut. Should I just wait for the new 800 series? I have a 3570k @ 4.4ghz, do you think that would be a bottleneck?

JustinBB7

I just got a SSD drive today and the instructions said mount it on a bracket..which was not included. I checked my case and all my motherboard boxes but I don't have one either..

I have the Samsung 840 Evo 250GB. Can I not use it now or can I just lay it down in a normal hard drive bracket (I have a CM 690 II case)?

Also if I order a seperate bracket will any brand work with this one? I guess so but just double checking to be safe now. :/

Will this one work: http://www.mycom.nl/products/69566/...info&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hardwareinfo

Kingbrave

Is going from a Evga 2g 650ti SC to a R280x a big leap? I want to get the most from BF4 and other newer games. I'd have to get a power supply and it's been a long time since I've changed out a power supply but I'm not worried.

kennah

I just got a SSD drive today and the instructions said mount it on a bracket..which was not included. I checked my case and all my motherboard boxes but I don't have one either..

I have the Samsung 840 Evo 250GB. Can I not use it now or can I just lay it down in a normal hard drive bracket (I have a CM 690 II case)?

Also if I order a seperate bracket will any brand work with this one? I guess so but just double checking to be safe now. :/

Will this one work: http://www.mycom.nl/products/69566/...info&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hardwareinfo

Two sided tape or just leave it laying/stuffed somewhere

Is going from a Evga 2g 650ti SC to a R280x a big leap? I want to get the most from BF4 and other newer games. I'd have to get a power supply and it's been a long time since I've changed out a power supply but I'm not worried.

Huge difference.

muddream

Banned
I need a better GPU for Titanfall. Get a 760 GTX now or wait for the Q1 Maxwell equivalent at that pricepoint? I'm basically unsure how much more bang for buck to expect from 28nm Maxwell...I can't wait for the 20nm chips.

I need a better GPU for Titanfall. Get a 760 GTX now or wait for the Q1 Maxwell equivalent at that pricepoint? I'm basically unsure how much more bang for buck to expect from 28nm Maxwell...I can't wait for the 20nm chips.

If it's for a game that's not even out yet, then wait, if you need to upgrade for games now, then upgrade now.

kharma45

Maxwell won't be Q1. The architecture is being designed for 20nm, I can't see it coming to 28nm. Far, far too much effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom