• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazo

Unfortunately, the language package is only in Ultimate. What he can do is use the windows anytime upgrade program and pay the difference to upgrade his home premium to Ultimate. Just search for windows anytime upgrade in the start menu.

He dont want to upgrade to Ultimate just to have a french Windows 7

Do you think it is possible to download the windows 7 home premium in french from microsoft website and use the same key to activate it ?

Spazo

Another question:

On my PC, I want to connect 2 monitor to display the same image

There is only 1 VGA port on the motherboard

- Can I use a VGA splitter cable
- Or should I buy a cheap videocard with 2 display port ? if yes, witch one you recommend me ?

thanks again :)

Parapraxis

Another question:

- Or should I buy a cheap videocard with 2 display port ? if yes, witch one you recommend me ?

is there a DVI port?

Another question:

vga splitter just mirrors the image.

kharma45

Fantastic. Thanks man! Thing is, I'll probably be able to get a few of those items cheaper through Microcenter, so that's a bonus!

Yeah Microcenter will do CPU+mobo combos, like the 4770K plus the GA-Z87X-UD4H for $440.

I built my nice x79 based GTX 670 rig last year and I was wondering, I get free windows 8 pro from my university. Is it worth it to bring my windows 7 install to windows 8.1? Is there any benefit at all aside from snappier performance?

Improved gaming performance, DX11.2 support.

If you can get it for free do it.

My potential build so far (case & RAM is already purchased, got the ones listed)
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1V9g9
Feedback welcomed.

Sandisk SSD drives are cheapest on ebay, I was considering getting this one:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SANDISK-EXTREME-SERIES-128-GB-INTERNAL-SOLID-STATE-DRIVE-2-5-SDSSDP-128G-G25-/321238111666?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item4acb4895b2&_uhb=1

$107 for this from Amazon, don't see anything else around to match this price http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007R67FNA/

Any chance you can return that RAM? The huge head spreaders aren't ideal. You also want a K series CPU

For less money you can have this which will let you overclock

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.01 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.46 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($158.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.95 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $982.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 14:20 EDT-0400)

Parapraxis

$107 for this from Amazon, don't see anything else around to match this price http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007R67FNA/

Any chance you can return that RAM? The huge head spreaders aren't ideal. You also want a K series CPU

For less money you can have this which will let you overclock

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.01 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.46 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($158.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.95 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $982.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 14:20 EDT-0400)

I got the ram from newegg, for like $80 taxes in.
Maybe I'll use it for now, and grab different RAM a little while down the road?

Good choice for Video Card?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Alright. How do high quality PSUs generally die when their time is up? I'm curious if I should be concerned about having the entire system go belly up any random day, or if it'll go alone. Or is there usually warning signs before it shits itself?
What I read on the internet:
Max wattage deliverable does tend to go down slightly over years (Less if caps are 50C rated like in yours)

Wot I think:
If you have a Kill-A-Watt you can test your PSU's PFC and roughly guess its efficiency rating compared to a new stock one.
If your system is stable under FURMark with the HX620 I wouldn't worry about anything as that draws anywhere from 10-25% more power than anything else you would do.
Your PC would just start acting funny or games will be throttled and it'll probably just shut off if it was a problem.

Depends on your budget. Anything with a dual fan cooler is fine.

kharma45

Also, you recommend K-series for overclocking, correct?

It should be alright, it's just if one or two of your RAM slots are under the cooler it won't fit

hyper212pluscorsairveng.jpg

All being well you won't have that issue. If we take the slot furthest to the right to be slot 4 putting the RAM into 2 and 4 should be grand. You could always change the fan to pull instead of push too if it came to it, so it'll fit in some form.

7950 is fine yeah, as is the 760. Neither seem to come with free games in Canada unless you pony up another $20 to get the EVGA SC one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...57534&PID=3938566&SID=&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA where you'll get Assassin’s Creed IV + Splinter Cell free. It'd be worth the extra in my books.

Edit - NCIX do the 760 with the games for $255 http://ncix.com/products/?sku=85587&vpn=GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1145

Zomba13

OK, most of my parts have arrived now. CPU should be coming tomorrow and possibly RAM (if not tomorrow then later this week). I'm planning on having an SSD because windows boot time has slowed to a crawl and it's annoying.
What's the best way for me to get Windows up and running on the SSD? From what I've seen I have two options, 1) Fresh install of Windows 7 and 2) Migrate my current boot drive over.

My current boot drive is 1TB and almost full (lots of games and programs) From what I've seen of guides it wants me to back up everything and then uninstall/delete everything until it fits on the SSD (180GB). Is there any way to just copy over the essential windows files?
Would I just be better off (as in less time spent) just doing a fresh install?
Is there a way to download the iso for Windows 7 if I can't find mine? Had a quick look but it wasn't where I expected it to be. Might be able to grab a disc off a friend though. I can use my serial key with that right?
If I go with a fresh install what do I do about the windows files on my 1TB drive? Just delete them or would they need to stay there for some reason?

Also, with putting programs onto the SSD is it just a simple case of c+p the relevant files over tot he SSD and then running the program?

Sorry for all the questions.

Majukun

id the difference between the sapphire radeon 7970 3gb and the sapphire radeon 7950 3gb enough to justify 100 euros more of cost?

or i can use that money in a more profitable way?

kennah

http://www.blurbusters.com/eizo-announces-foris-fg2421/

Exciting news.

240Hz Monitors incoming...

mkenyon said:
The Eizo “240Hz” monitor achieves 240Hz via a two-pass refresh. One overdriven refresh in the dark, unseen by the human eye, followed by a single backlight strobe flash on a very clean 120Hz refresh.  This should produce excellent LightBoost-style quality, reasonable input lag, and excellent VA colors. 

lightboost w/o shitty colors

Parapraxis

It should be alright, it's just if one or two of your RAM slots are under the cooler it won't fit

hyper212pluscorsairveng.jpg

All being well you won't have that issue. If we take the slot furthest to the right to be slot 4 putting the RAM into 2 and 4 should be grand. You could always change the fan to pull instead of push too if it came to it, so it'll fit in some form.

7950 is fine yeah, as is the 760. Neither seem to come with free games in Canada unless you pony up another $20 to get the EVGA SC one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...57534&PID=3938566&SID=&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA where you'll get Assassin’s Creed IV + Splinter Cell free. It'd be worth the extra in my books.

Edit - NCIX do the 760 with the games for $255 http://ncix.com/products/?sku=85587&vpn=GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1145

Ah thanks for the RAM tip, I'll use slots 2 & 4 for now, maybe toss them into my current PC and pop 2x8GB in the new build later.

I think the RAM should be alright with the MOBO you suggested.
7737ec8b1513107599ad793ab4e51749.med.jpg

EVGA card looks like a pretty good deal as well, thx.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So to compliment my new PC, I'm getting 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black IPS Panel 24" 8ms Pivot, Swivel & Height Adjustable LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 2,000,000:1 (1000:1)

Got a deal of 450$ for both screens instead of 284$ each (which is also a sale over the normal price of 379$).

I'll be able to shut up the guys over the BF4 PC Performance Thread.

kharma45

id the difference between the sapphire radeon 7970 3gb and the sapphire radeon 7950 3gb enough to justify 100 euros more of cost?

or i can use that money in a more profitable way?

Do you have an SSD? If not then put the money towards it.

Ah thanks for the RAM tip, I'll use slots 2 & 4 for now, maybe toss them into my current PC and pop 2x8GB in the new build later.

I think the RAM should be alright with the MOBO you suggested.
7737ec8b1513107599ad793ab4e51749.med.jpg

EVGA card looks like a pretty good deal as well, thx.

Yeah the RAM should be fine! I'd grab this Gigabyte instead of the EVGA http://ncix.com/products/?sku=85587&vpn=GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1145

kharma45

is that much of an improvement if i use the pc only for gaming and surfing the web?

how big must it be if i need to use it only for the OS?

what brand is the best?

Yes.

120GB is the minimum I'd go for. Brand wise stick to Samsung, Kingston, Intel, Crucial and Sandisk's newest model. Depends on where you live as the best one will be the cheapest one.

if you live in a place where amazon has sales tax and newegg doesn't any reason to go amazon?

well chase freedom does give 5% back for amazon this holiday... hmmmm...

Thanks to your help, I've been making good progress on researching and choosing parts. I've more or less decided on my core parts, and now I need to pick a CPU cooler, a case and a power supply to accomodate those parts. But before I can, I have a few questions about what's best for my setup. The parts I plan to buy are:

-CPU: i5 4670K
-GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-2GD
-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

I probably won't overclock immediately, but I want to be able to do later. In regards to fans; I don't mind the sound too much (I tune it out very quickly and I will use headphones for games/music/movies), but I want to make sure the temperature in my PC stays good (below 60°C? 80°C? I don't really know what's reasonable/acceptable and what's too much).

Now onto my questions:

1. Is the CM Hyper 212 EVO enough to keep my setup cool, even if I decide to overclock? The OP says it is, but www.logicalincrements.com recommends getting a more expensive cooler.

2. Is the Corsair 200R case enough to keep my setup cool, even if I decide to overclock? Again, the OP says it is, but www.logicalincrements.com recommends getting a more expensive case. Also, am I supposed to swap out the stock fans with custom ones?

3. According to www.pcpartpicker.com, the total estimated wattage of my parts is 428W. How much headroom is recommended?

kharma45

Thanks to your help, I've been making good progress on researching and choosing parts. I've more or less decided on my core parts, and now I need to pick a CPU cooler, a case and a power supply to accomodate those parts. But before I can, I have a few questions about what's best for my setup. The parts I plan to buy are:

-CPU: i5 4670K
-GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-2GD
-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

I probably won't overclock immediately, but I want to be able to do later. In regards to fans; I don't mind the sound too much (I tune it out very quickly and I will use headphones for games/music/movies), but I want to make sure the temperature in my PC stays good (below 60°C? 80°C? I don't really know what's reasonable/acceptable and what's too much).

Now onto my questions:

1. Is the CM Hyper 212 EVO enough to keep my setup cool, even if I decide to overclock? The OP says it is, but www.logicalincrements.com recommends getting a more expensive cooler.

2. Is the Corsair 200R case enough to keep my setup cool, even if I decide to overclock? Again, the OP says it is, but www.logicalincrements.com recommends getting a more expensive case. Also, am I supposed to swap out the stock fans with custom ones?

3. According to www.pcpartpicker.com, the total estimated wattage of my parts is 428W. How much headroom is recommended?

Hyper 212 is great. Corsair case is fine too. I own both so I speak from experience. Stock fans on both will have no trouble cooling that CPU.

For a single GPU ~550w is the sweet spot.

I'm guessing this has already been covered to death but putting together a new rig. R9 280X or 770?

From what I've seen there isn't too much between them and the 770 has a better free game bundle at the moment but if the 280X is the better option I'd grab that and not worry about the games.

Addnan

I'm guessing this has already been covered to death but putting together a new rig. R9 280X or 770?

From what I've seen there isn't too much between them and the 770 has a better free game bundle at the moment but if the 280X is the better option I'd grab that and not worry about the games.

Right now 770 especially if you want the games. Performance wise pretty much the same. Nvidia has the exclusive stuff that I like.

Dex815

Fuuuuuuu!! just 3 days after I order my 770 it gets a price drop.

I really didn't pay much more, it is the gigabyte 4gb oc edition which I bought for 370€ and now it is 341€, so 29€... But still... fuuuuu! D:<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

Muahaha I was on time to cancel my order from Amazon as it had not shipped yet. I bought the same card in an specific store, and this store gives the code for the free games from the Nvidia/Ubisoft offer.

Muahaha! :D

Right now 770 especially if you want the games. Performance wise pretty much the same. Nvidia has the exclusive stuff that I like.

Cheers. Comes with Black Flag, Batman and Splinter Cell so not too bad. Black Flag would be the only one I'd buy but getting them along with it helps.

Addnan

NoRéN;88104077 said:
yeah, it's giving me black bars at 1920 x 1080 (recommended)
What video card do you have? If Nvidia can you set the resolution inside hte nvidia control panel see if it makes a difference. Not sure how AMD works, guessing they will have similar options.

NoRéN

Checked the refresh rate? Maybe try a different picture mode (might be some overscan thing).
60hz refresh rate. No black bars at 1680 x 1050.
What video card do you have? If Nvidia can you set the resolution inside hte nvidia control panel see if it makes a difference. Not sure how AMD works, guessing they will have similar options.
HD7850. Anyone know how to do this in CCC?

Addnan

Go into AMD control panel and there should be something to do with scaling. Set the overscan to 0. Might be under something called my digital flat panel. Not sure if that has changed in recent drivers.

NoRéN;88104557 said:
60hz refresh rate. No black bars at 1680 x 1050.

HD7850. Anyone know how to do this in CCC?

In CCC go to "My Digital Flat-Panels" then click on "Scaling Options". Turn Overscan slider up until it gets to fullscreen/no black bars.

NoRéN

Go into AMD control panel and there should be something to do with scaling. Set the overscan to 0. Might be under something called my digital flat panel. Not sure if that has changed in recent drivers.

In CCC go to "My Digital Flat-Panels" then click on "Scaling Options". Turn Overscan slider up until it gets to fullscreen/no black bars.

Thanks, both of you! Fixed the problem!

One last question, should i enable GPU scaling?

Yep grab the 780.

780. No question.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Is there any particular reason for the choice? I know I could overclock my GPU (though I've never done it before) and reach 690 and 7990 levels (I guess?), but couldn't I just get a 7990 and bump that even more? Every review I've read for benchmarks states that 7990 is numero uno. :/

I run at 1440p too, so I guess I need the memory too.

Thanks!

Raydeen

Currently rocking a AMD Phenom X3 processor.

Would upgrading to a Phenom X6 give me a worthwhile bang for buck improvement? (my MB only goes up to socket AM3).

NoRéN;88105045 said:
Thanks, both of you! Fixed the problem!

One last question, should i enable GPU scaling?

I don't use it, I think it's mainly useful if you play games below native resolution of your monitor at a different aspect ratio. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

NoRéN

I don't use it, I think it's mainly useful if you play games below native resolution at a different aspect ratio. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the info. Will leave off.

Damn, why did I wait so long to get a 1080p monitor?

Thanks for all the help and advice!

I'm starting to build a new system on pcpartpicker. Why do you say no question over 290x?

780 is a much cooler, quieter, proven card. The 290x, while getting better performance at higher resolutions, has a low OC ceiling and is louder and hotter.

I'm in the market for a new card as well, but I'm waiting for non reference 290x as well as the 290 before deciding.

780 is a much cooler, quieter, proven card. The 290x, while getting better performance at higher resolutions, has a low OC ceiling and is louder and hotter.

I'm in the market for a new card as well, but I'm waiting for non reference 290x as well as the 290 before deciding.

On phone so can't type a lot. Thanks for input. The most I'll have is 1080p for at least a few more years. I'm hoping I can have it built by November 16 or so unless waiting would be in my best interest.

Hay,

The PS4 no media nonsense gave me my final push to start my PC build

Im building a system that vastly outperforms the next gen consoles framerate wise and plays all modern and upcoming games for the next few years at 60FPS minimum.

I also want to play alot of emulators and MAME with minmal hassle

A bonus will be the ability to video edit using adobe premier, Photo edit using photoshop and a little after effects/in motion work

Resolution is going to be fixed at 1080p, Im not really interested in going higher.

I want my system to be as quiet as possible as it will be doubling up as a media pc for ripped films, DVDs, Music and Blurays

Ive already bought:-

Silverstone SST-GD08B USB 3.0 HTPC Case

OCZ OCZ-ZS750W-UK ZS Series 750W 80+ Bronze PSU with 135mm Fan & single +12V Rail

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

I have my eye on :-

Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770K, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Corsair CW-9060007-WW Hydro Series H60 High Performance 120mm Rad All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair CO-9050006-WW Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition 120mm Low Noise High Pressure Fan Dual Pack x 2

Pioneer BDC-207DBK 8x SATA Internal Blu-ray Player DVD/CD Burner Combo Drive

But where im getting Unstuck is I have no idea what kind of ram, motherboard, GPU SSD and HDD im going to need.

I want the best bang for my buck but the most important things are:-

I never want to game under 60FPs at 1080p even if that means lowering settings

Im not too fussed about extra processing like downsampling etc

Im willing to pay extra for a GPU that will last me a long time.

any ideas?

On phone so can't type a lot. Thanks for input. The most I'll have is 1080p for at least a few more years. I'm hoping I can have it built by November 16 or so unless waiting would be in my best interest.

Cannot go wrong with a 780, it's a fantastic card and just had a great price drop, especially at 1080p. For me, it's worth waiting on the 290/non-reference 290x because I run at 1600p, a resolution at which the 290x excels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom