• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I canceled my PS4 preorder and decided to upgrade my 560TI 448 instead. I'm thinking of jumping up to a 770. I've done a little research on NewEgg but I'm not sure if I should be looking at one with 4GB of VRAM or not. There don't seem to be too many on offer with that much but I think it'll come in handy in the future. Don't know if its something that will really make a difference.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good 770 around or under $400?

Edit: I should also mention my mobo is PCI-E 2.0. That won't be an issue if I jump to a 3.0 card will it?

Seanspeed

Banned
So I canceled my PS4 preorder and decided to upgrade my 560TI 448 instead. I'm thinking of jumping up to a 770. I've done a little research on NewEgg but I'm not sure if I should be looking at one with 4GB of VRAM or not. There don't seem to be too many on offer with that much but I think it'll come in handy in the future. Don't know if its something that will really make a difference.

Edit: I should also mention my mobo is PCI-E 2.0. That won't be an issue if I jump to a 3.0 card will it?
4GB would be wise.

Also consider a 280X for $300.

And don't forget we'll be hearing pricing on the 290 very soon, which may come in near $400 with extremely good performance.

PCI3.0 cards are backwards compatible, so don't worry about that.

EDIT:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

MSI 4GB N770 Twin Frozr OC, comes with 3 free games - $400 plus a $15 rebate if you do those.

Groof

So I got my replacement fan for the one that was supposedly broken and exchanged it. These Noisebocker fans are real easy to install, which is a relief! However, the noise remained. So I listened around and it seemed to be coming more from the back, so I switched that fan out to the new one and reinstalled the top one. Noise was still there.
After some prying with it open and running, I noticed the problem was a lot simpler than a broken fan: the warranty stickers on the CPU fan cable were hitting the fan as it was spinning. God damnit.

Anyway, I had been meaning to replace the fans sooner or later anyway so this is a good place to start. You all may now proceed to laugh at my stupidity for not noticing this sooner.

Addnan

Haha, the other day I left a disk inside the DVD drive. Thought a fan had broken on my graphics card as it sounded like a fan spinning up to 100% at boot up. Eliminated every fan in the system, about to give up then I see I left a DVD in.

Mogwai

I just got my Noctua NF-F12 cooler that I wanted to replace the stock 212 EVO fan unit.

Now, how do I mount this bastard? Do I need to amputate that mount thing from the CM fan unit?

kennah

I just got my Noctua NF-F12 cooler that I wanted to replace the stock 212 EVO fan unit.

Now, how do I mount this bastard? Do I need to amputate that mount thing from the CM fan unit?
Yep. There should also have been brackets for a second fan with it.

Mogwai

Yep. There should also have been brackets for a second fan with it.

God damn. Thanks. And then I check the 212 EVO box and find the mounting set :)

Fortunately, the operation went well. A bit brutality was needed for mounting the fan onto the heat sink, but it worked out in the end.

4 GB Gigabyte 770 GTX. The free ganes is for all GTX. It's the only one behind MSI 770 Lightning in terms of clock speeds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

MSI 4GB N770 Twin Frozr OC, comes with 3 free games - $400 plus a $15 rebate if you do those.

Damn looks like it's out of stock at New Egg. Its not being discontinued is it? I could probably wait a few weeks to see if it gets back in before the 3 game deal ends.

4 GB Gigabyte 770 GTX. The free ganes is for all GTX. It's the only one behind MSI 770 Lightning in terms of clock speeds.

This one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

Yea I wish my card was a lightning or Gigabyte. Don't settle for less and get the Gigabyte over MSI Gaming. Only MSI Lightning is worth it but I don't think there is a 4 GB version. If there was it'll be over 400. Gigabyte windforce 770 GTX should be one of the coolest running 770 and top 3 in terms of performance.

saelz8

I managed to find the MSI for $460 at Microcenter. Is it worth the $70 over the gigabyte?

No way is it worth $70 more. If I were you, I'd wait. Microcenter will also have you paying TAX, so add another 40 dollars to that premium. You'd be paying 500 for a 770, when you could pay 500 for a 780.

Seanspeed

Banned
I managed to find the MSI for $460 at Microcenter. Is it worth the $70 over the gigabyte?

Edit: Tiger Direct has the MSI it for $380.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8510652&MobileOptOut=1

Never ordered from them before but I'm sure its good.
No man. I missed the Windforce one, which is actually better and cheaper. Go for that if your heart is on a 770. Buy it.

EDIT: Or like saelz says, if your budget can stretch to $500, you can get a 780, which is a pretty big jump up and totally worth $100 if you can stretch it.

Thanks guys. I'll go with the Gigabyte. I looked at the 780s but I'm trying to stay as close to $400 as I can. Trying to put that PS4 money to better use.

Edit: If I could stretch it... What 780 is good around $500?

I could probably stretch it but I'm worried my i5 2500k would bottleneck the benefits of a 780.

Damian.

Banned
Thinking of moving to a 120/144hz monitor for gaming. Currently on a 24" 1080p 60hz monitor. I know for most of my games, I won't be able to make it to 120/144FPS and was wondering what kind of IQ I could expect if I ran games at 80-110fps without vsync on, and how do framerate fluctuations look on those monitors.

Addnan

Thanks guys. I'll go with the Gigabyte. I looked at the 780s but I'm trying to stay as close to $400 as I can. Trying to put that PS4 money to better use.

Edit: If I could stretch it... What 780 is good around $500?

I could probably stretch it but I'm worried my i5 2500k would bottleneck the benefits of a 780.
Gigabyte is $510. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125471

MSI Lightning is $540 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127754

Your 2500K will be fine. If you have not overclocked do that, they are generally very good at overclocking.

Gigabyte is $510. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125471

MSI Lightning is $540 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127754

Your 2500K will be fine. If you have not overclocked do that, they are generally very good at overclocking.

I haven't OCed it but I do remember reading that even with the stock cooler it was good. I've never done it before so I'm a bit hesitant.

Fuck it... I'm going for a 780. By the time I finished with controllers and a game that PS4 would have cost over $500 anyway.

yep, will probably get the windforce 780.

gonna wait for 780 ti reviews though, just incase. no regrets.

not really in a hurry anyhow. Just needa get the card before black friday for the promo stuff right?

Crisco

Banned
So EVGA has two 780s available for Step-Up, the one with the Titan cooler and another with their ACX cooler. I know generally aftermarket coolers are better but isn't the Titan cooler basically the best there is? The Titan cooler one is also $30 more.

sk3tch

So EVGA has two 780s available for Step-Up, the one with the Titan cooler and another with their ACX cooler. I know generally aftermarket coolers are better but isn't the Titan cooler basically the best there is? The Titan cooler one is also $30 more.

ACX is the better cooler, but the "Titan" cooler is the best if you're going to do 3-4 GPUs (well, 3 in the 780s case because I believe there's still a tri-SLI limit) down the road. ACX is best only up to 2 GPUs. So decide accordingly.

Crisco

Banned
ACX is the better cooler, but the "Titan" cooler is the best if you're going to do 3-4 GPUs (well, 3 in the 780s case because I believe there's still a tri-SLI limit) down the road. ACX is best only up to 2 GPUs. So decide accordingly.

Thanks!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I sold off my desktop. I'm going to be working on my basement so I can have another place to put my desk finally, so it was time to let her go. She just ran so well that it... it was hard man.

HP xw8400 Workstation

2 Xeon quad-core CPUs @ 2.66 Ghz
Geforce 8800 GTX
8 GB RAM (4x2GB)
2 1 TB Hard Drives in RAID 0
DVD Burner
800 watt PSU

That computer lasted me 5 years. Goodbye, my friend.

SO!

Having said that, I am looking for a PC to record/compose music, play games, watch movies, and read GAF on. I also do remote work to my office, so being able to smoothly run a VM would be nice.

I have $1000 USD to work with. I own:

1 2 TB drive
1 120 GB SSD.
2 Samsung 24" 1900x1200 monitors.
Thats it.

Any suggestions?

kharma45

I sold off my desktop. I'm going to be working on my basement so I can have another place to put my desk finally, so it was time to let her go. She just ran so well that it... it was hard man.

HP xw8400 Workstation

2 Xeon quad-core CPUs @ 2.66 Ghz
Geforce 8800 GTX
8 GB RAM (4x2GB)
2 1 TB Hard Drives in RAID 0
DVD Burner
800 watt PSU

That computer lasted me 5 years. Goodbye, my friend.

SO!

Having said that, I am looking for a PC to record/compose music, play games, watch movies, and read GAF on. I also do remote work to my office, so being able to smoothly run a VM would be nice.

I have $1000 USD to work with. I own:

1 2 TB drive
1 120 GB SSD.
2 Samsung 24" 1900x1200 monitors.
Thats it.

Any suggestions?

Does your music software use any GPU tech like CUDA or OpenCL?

Spazo

I have a question for you guys.

My father bought a new PC that came with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 in English pre-installed.

But he want it in French.

Is it possible to download the same version of Windows but in french and install it on the PC using the same OEM key ?

Thanks

scogoth

Thinking of moving to a 120/144hz monitor for gaming. Currently on a 24" 1080p 60hz monitor. I know for most of my games, I won't be able to make it to 120/144FPS and was wondering what kind of IQ I could expect if I ran games at 80-110fps without vsync on, and how do framerate fluctuations look on those monitors.

VG248QE + G-sync and everything will look amazing

Thank me later

kharma45

I don't know. I currently use Ableton 8, and will be upgrading to 9 when I get a new PC.

It appears to be wholly CPU based so that means you're not going to be tied into a particular GPU brand. Ableton 8 doesn't support Hyperthreading either but it seems version 9 does https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/does-live-9-support-hyperthreading/

You could go for something like this
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $946.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 12:37 EDT-0400)

Upgrading to a 770 takes you just over budget.

you don't need to match frames in order to get the benefit of high Hz.

If you get a light boost monitor, you will get some benefit (in addition to just using a high Hz) if you can run the game at atleast half the framerate of the strobed refresh rate.

So: refresh set to 100hz (using light boost), anything over 50 fps > 100hz no lightboost > 60 hz

Moral of story: get a monitor that can do lightboost and can use the DIY GSync kit. I have the asus VG248QE

Damian.

Banned
VG248QE + G-sync and everything will look amazing

Thank me later

you don't need to match frames in order to get the benefit of high Hz.

If you get a light boost monitor, you will get some benefit (in addition to just using a high Hz) if you can run the game at atleast half the framerate of the strobed refresh rate.

So: refresh set to 100hz (using light boost), anything over 50 fps > 100hz no lightboost > 60 hz

Moral of story: get a monitor that can do lightboost and can use the DIY GSync kit. I have the asus VG248QE

Purchased, thanks guys!

Zaph

So I'm thinking of getting the VG248QE to replace my old 19" second monitor (primary is Dell U2713HM for work).

Am I right it'll be easily moddable with Gsync? And will work with a GTX 670 for the time being?

When multiplayer gaming, if I switch primary monitor to the VG248QE (but keep the U2713HM on, usually with a stream running), it won't interfere with a low latency 144hz monitor? 60 and 144 at the same time is fine?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
It appears to be wholly CPU based so that means you're not going to be tied into a particular GPU brand. Ableton 8 doesn't support Hyperthreading either but it seems version 9 does https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/does-live-9-support-hyperthreading/

You could go for something like this
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $946.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 12:37 EDT-0400)

Upgrading to a 770 takes you just over budget.

Fantastic. Thanks man! Thing is, I'll probably be able to get a few of those items cheaper through Microcenter, so that's a bonus!

I built my nice x79 based GTX 670 rig last year and I was wondering, I get free windows 8 pro from my university. Is it worth it to bring my windows 7 install to windows 8.1? Is there any benefit at all aside from snappier performance?

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
The CPU is taking forever to ship. I've been able to order and receive all my other parts after I ordered the CPU, and it hasn't even left their warehouse. Getting real impatient here! Canceling it and waiting for the money to be sent back before I order from somewhere else would probably take as long as just waiting for it, and would be entirely too bothersome. What a bummer.
Just keep it imo. I have my old HX520W in the shop as a test unit.
They are good Seasonic units, just dust it out

Alright. How do high quality PSUs generally die when their time is up? I'm curious if I should be concerned about having the entire system go belly up any random day, or if it'll go alone. Or is there usually warning signs before it shits itself?

I have a question for you guys.

My father bought a new PC that came with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 in English pre-installed.

But he want it in French.

Is it possible to download the same version of Windows but in french and install it on the PC using the same OEM key ?

Thanks

Unfortunately, the language package is only in Ultimate. What he can do is use the windows anytime upgrade program and pay the difference to upgrade his home premium to Ultimate. Just search for windows anytime upgrade in the start menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom