• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddream

Banned
What do you have now?

545 (lol)

Maxwell won't be Q1. The architecture is being designed for 20nm, I can't see it coming to 28nm. Far, far too much effort.

I keep reading that 20nm mass production won't be before Q4 and that Nvidia will likely release something to bridge the gap...

I would like something faster right now to run TF2 at 300 fps, but I won't need anything before Titanfall.

I need a better GPU for Titanfall. Get a 760 GTX now or wait for the Q1 Maxwell equivalent at that pricepoint? I'm basically unsure how much more bang for buck to expect from 28nm Maxwell...I can't wait for the 20nm chips.

Titanfall is Source. Would be surprised if your 760 can't handle it ok.

NoRéN

Dudes, need some advice. Basically, how do I explain to someone that it's ok to build a new PC right now?

My sister recently got back into gaming. Since she missed all of this gen she wants a gaming pc to play everything for cheap. However, she wants the pc to be able to play some next gen stuff too. with that said, the biggest worry for her is that she's been reading game pc requirements and can't comprehend how a game like BF4 can differ so much from COD Ghosts. Basically, she doesn't want a pc that is great but still can't run next gen games.

I mentioned how PC-thread folks seem unbothered by all this and you all have done me no wrong.

So, how do I explain all this? Are the excessive cpu requirements just bullshit? What's a build recommended to next gen stuff at medium settings at least?
$1000 budget
1080p monitor bought for $90 thanks to microcenter
End of year deadline
Maybe overclocking

Thanks!

kharma45

I keep reading that 20nm mass production won't be before Q4 and that Nvidia will likely release something to bridge the gap...

I would like something faster right now to run TF2 at 300 fps, but I won't need anything before Titanfall.

I can't seem them doing much, they'll likely just eek out the lifespan of what we have now.

Crisco

Banned
NoRéN;87983389 said:
Dudes, need some advice. Basically, how do I explain to someone that it's ok to build a new PC right now?

My sister recently got back into gaming. Since she missed all of this gen she wants a gaming pc to play everything for cheap. However, she wants the pc to be able to play some next gen stuff too. with that said, the biggest worry for her is that she's been reading game pc requirements and can't comprehend how a game like BF4 can differ so much from COD Ghosts. Basically, she doesn't want a pc that is great but still can't run next gen games.

I mentioned how PC-thread folks seem unbothered by all this and you all have done me no wrong.

So, how do I explain all this? Are the excessive cpu requirements just bullshit? What's a build recommended to next gen stuff at medium settings at least?
$1000 budget
End of year deadline
Maybe overclocking

Thanks!

For a $1000 you could easily build a machine that will play every current/next-gen console game at 1080p with better framerates than the console versions. And in a mini-ITX case if you want.

Ieu

NoRéN;87983389 said:

$1000 budget
End of year deadline
Maybe overclocking

Thanks!

The recommendations are not bullshit however the devs are playing it a bit safe. Remember that both new consoles have 8 core x64 processors so you should expect devs to recommend at least 4 core processors.

The good news is that the 4 core processors you can buy today are way better than the 4 core processors that used to be on the market. You could buy a Core i5 4670K or play it safe with a Core i7 4770K and be totally fine for a good long while. Just remember that with whatever you buy you can replace a graphics card with ease but the CPU will need a new motherboard and possibly new RAM.

Brainboy

Hey guys. Any chance one of you could have a look at a build I put together on PCPartPicker? I basically tried to follow Hazaro's guide ("great - best value" build) and Logical Increments ("superb") with a few changes where I couldn't find the part or felt an up- or downgrade was more appropriate for me.

Current specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 260 (almost 5 years old, I think)

Budget: No hard budget, but given what I have put together, I don't think I really want to spend more than £700. But if there's a sensible upgrade that takes me to, say, £750, I might not mind. (I'm in the UK, if that's not clear.)

Main use: Gaming and general use. I've been happily gaming with my current PC for a number of years now, so that might demonstrate that I'm not overly demanding. I do want this PC to last, though, and play pretty much anything at decent frame rates.

Monitor resolution: Currently 1680x1050 (20"), but I may want to upgrade to 22" or 24" with this new PC (so probably 1920x1080).

Games I'd like to run well: Probably Battlefield 4, since that's one of the few big games coming out that I would really like to play (and I don't think I'll buy a new console until at least next spring). BF3 already wasn't very playable on my current PC, so I know there probably isn't much chance BF4 would work. I'm happy with 30FPS, and while some of the fancier stuff like PhysX is nice, it's not required. (I tried PhysX with Batman Arkham Asylum and Borderlands 2, I think, which was mostly fine but not worth the occasional drop in framerate.)

Reusing any parts?: No, since they are all quite old.

When will you build?: Now, but I've been thinking about this and picking parts and so on for a while, so there's no rush.

Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

A few specific questions:
- Is it worth the extra £30 or so to upgrade the CPU from 4570 to 4670?
- I couldn't find the power supplies listed by the guides (or they were out of stock). Is the one I picked any good? I was looking for a modular one, since I feel that might be worth the slightly higher price.

kharma45

Hey guys. Any chance one of you could have a look at a build I put together on PCPartPicker? I basically tried to follow Hazaro's guide ("great - best value" build) and Logical Increments ("superb") with a few changes where I couldn't find the part or felt an up- or downgrade was more appropriate for me.

Current specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 260 (almost 5 years old, I think)

Budget: No hard budget, but given what I have put together, I don't think I really want to spend more than £700. But if there's a sensible upgrade that takes me to, say, £750, I might not mind. (I'm in the UK, if that's not clear.)

Main use: Gaming and general use. I've been happily gaming with my current PC for a number of years now, so that might demonstrate that I'm not overly demanding. I do want this PC to last, though, and play pretty much anything at decent frame rates.

Monitor resolution: Currently 1680x1050 (20"), but I may want to upgrade to 22" or 24" with this new PC (so probably 1920x1080).

Games I'd like to run well: Probably Battlefield 4, since that's one of the few big games coming out that I would really like to play (and I don't think I'll buy a new console until at least next spring). BF3 already wasn't very playable on my current PC, so I know there probably isn't much chance BF4 would work. I'm happy with 30FPS, and while some of the fancier stuff like PhysX is nice, it's not required. (I tried PhysX with Batman Arkham Asylum and Borderlands 2, I think, which was mostly fine but not worth the occasional drop in framerate.)

Reusing any parts?: No, since they are all quite old.

When will you build?: Now, but I've been thinking about this and picking parts and so on for a while, so there's no rush.

Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

A few specific questions:
- Is it worth the extra £30 or so to upgrade the CPU from 4570 to 4670?
- I couldn't find the power supplies listed by the guides (or they were out of stock). Is the one I picked any good? I was looking for a modular one, since I feel that might be worth the slightly higher price.

4670K and a Z87 mobo is well worth it, overclocking is easy and is a great performance boost.

That RAM also needs changed and a few other things. Try this on for size. Also, do you really need the DVD drive?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£54.17 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£63.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£134.20 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.80 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.24 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £701.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-29 20:58 GMT+0000)

RAM changed to smaller stuff, SSD to a cheaper one (but still good), better mobo, overclockable CPU, good cooler, good solid PSU and a better GPU (Ebuyer gives you free games with it, Amazon doesn't).

Modular PSU wise you're talking an extra £15 or so if you want that.

muddream

Banned
I can't seem them doing much, they'll likely just eek out the lifespan of what we have now.

OK I trusted your judgment and ordered a 760...if I regret this in Q1 I'll spend most of my spare time following you around GAF and writing passive-aggressive posts.

NoRéN;87983389 said:

$1000 budget
End of year deadline
Maybe overclocking

Thanks!

4 Core CPU recommendations are no big deal, really, and what I would have expected with the new gen. There was only one recommended settings list so far that seemed excessive to me and that was for Watch Dogs. They specifically recommended an i7 but who knows what kind of technical mess that game was in prior to its delay. That being said you can fit an i7 in to a $1000 budget.

Barzul

Ok guys I need help making a decision, I can buy a Radeon 7970 Diamond Reference card from ebay for $250 the seller assures me that it's he just had the card sent back to him from the manufacturer after RMAing it and it's like new vs a GTX 760 OC brand new for just $10 more. I've never got a graphics card off ebay before, but I have bought other electronics (Ipods and such) and they all worked fine. Anyone ever got a card off ebay or used in general?

Need help guys. Built my PC. Everything seems to work. Gigabyte mobo bios sees my ssd/hdd as does windows 8 install but neither will format for some reason. Suggestions??

EDIT: Looks like it's the SSD. I disabled the ssd in bios and install works. Uh so how do i check if drive is bad?

Dex815

Well at the end I decided to go with the GV-N770OC-4GD, add an SSD 840 evo, WD 1TB (3,5) and add another 8 GB RAM. I really hope that my X4 965 will resist the upcoming months until I buy a new MB and CPU :)

Fuuuuuuu!! just 3 days after I order my 770 it gets a price drop.

I really didn't pay much more, it is the gigabyte 4gb oc edition which I bought for 370&#8364; and now it is 341&#8364;, so 29&#8364;... But still... fuuuuu! D:<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

maneil99

So I was getting weird issues with CSGO. GPU went into low power mode after bring up steam in game. Only went away after bringing it back up and down.

Pigs

Finally decided to build a new PC and all my parts should be here tomorrow. All of them except the windows DVD, which doesn't look like it will get here until the weekend. I have a windows disc already, could I just use that and install windows without a key and put the key in later when it comes in the mail? Or do I need the key during the install. It's a Win 8 disc and the one coming in the mail is 8.1.

If I do a fresh install of Windows 8 on my SSD it won't delete files on my secondary HDD right?

Naw, you're good. I still access my old Local Drive HDD after installing Windows 8 on my SSD. In fact, I changed the Library directories to those on my old drive, and it works perfectly.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Thank you, it worked! I upgraded to Win 8.1 for BF4 but ran into the framework 2.5 problem that I'm learning is quite common. I had to reinstall. Everything working. Thanks!!!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So for how long do you guys consider it safe sticking to one PSU? I never really considered switching for safety reasons, as I have yet to have a single PSU die on me. I think mine might be getting kinda old, but I honestly don't have any good frame of reference. I have a Corsair HX620W which is presumably quite a well built PSU, but it's about 5-6 years old now, so the warranty ran out some time ago. Should I bother switching it out? Kinda blew my most of my budget on a GTX780 so if I do switch it out it would be for something relatively cheap like a CoolerMaster Silent Pro M II 520W. But I'd rather not spend any more money unless I have to. :F
Just keep it imo. I have my old HX520W in the shop as a test unit.
They are good Seasonic units, just dust it out.
I have a 600 watt Silverstone Strider (rated Silver but almost Gold according to PCPER). I want a second 770GTX to run SLI. Whats the PSU I should get to do this?
I'd suggest an HX850, X850, or V850 (If you don't mind the stiff cables). The V should be the best out of all of them, but all of them are outstanding.

JoseJX

I would try it with a different HDD (or SSD). If it still crashes, and you're sure it's not a software problem, I would assume it's the mobo most likely. But maybe someone has other suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion. It was the mainboard, I replaced it and now the machine is stable. Thanks though!

aasoncott

This is my current PC. It's been great--so far, there have only been a few games I haven't been able to play on decent settings. It's definitely feeling its age, though:

Video: MSI GeForce GTX 260 Twin Frozr OC
Memory: OCZ Gold 8GB DDR3-1333
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3P ATX LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E 2PCI GBLAN CrossFireX USB3.0 SATA3 Motherboard
PSU: Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan

I'd love to put a new video card in it, but am worried my CPU/MB/RAM is going to be a bottleneck. I do a lot of animation work, so a faster CPU and RAM wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure what practical implications a new CPU and RAM would have in terms of graphical performance. Thoughts? Realistically, do I need to do a complete overhaul, or is the GPU going to be the only really relevant hardware?

I posted my system a few months ago. Unfortunately, I ran into some issues with my power supply (coil whine). It was the:
  • Seasonic Platinum-660 Fully Modular 80PLUS 660W PSU
I'm writing to this thread again; as I've finally agreed with Canada Computers to give me store credit (as it's been stuck in their RMA process for 2 months; with no end in sight). I wanted to know if anyone had any new suggestions for a replacement?

Sizing may be an issue; as the case is a BitFenix Prodigy (I know a few power supplies will not fit). I'd like to keep it modular; to reduce cabling. I also want something as quiet as possible. Here are some additional details for the system:

Key components:
  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Socket 1150 Intel Z87
  • Intel Core i5-4670K - Socket LGA1150, 3.4Ghz
  • MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr 3 2GB GDDR5
  • G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 RAM - 10-10-10-30) - RipjawsX Series
Additional:
  • Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD
  • WD10EZEX 1TB
  • Corsair Hydro Series H60 2013 Liquid CPU Cooler
  • ASUS (DRW-24B3ST)
  • Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit English OEM
As always, thanks! I can't wait to finally use my new computer (after 2 months of this bullshit)!

NoRéN

For a $1000 you could easily build a machine that will play every current/next-gen console game at 1080p with better framerates than the console versions. And in a mini-ITX case if you want.

The recommendations are not bullshit however the devs are playing it a bit safe. Remember that both new consoles have 8 core x64 processors so you should expect devs to recommend at least 4 core processors.

The good news is that the 4 core processors you can buy today are way better than the 4 core processors that used to be on the market. You could buy a Core i5 4670K or play it safe with a Core i7 4770K and be totally fine for a good long while. Just remember that with whatever you buy you can replace a graphics card with ease but the CPU will need a new motherboard and possibly new RAM.

4 Core CPU recommendations are no big deal, really, and what I would have expected with the new gen. There was only one recommended settings list so far that seemed excessive to me and that was for Watch Dogs. They specifically recommended an i7 but who knows what kind of technical mess that game was in prior to its delay. That being said you can fit an i7 in to a $1000 budget.
Thanks for the input, everyone. Had to wait for her to be online(australia time) and just linked her to this page. Easier than having to relate the info myself and definitely want to build this year then.

Thanks again!

kennah

This is my current PC. It's been great--so far, there have only been a few games I haven't been able to play on decent settings. It's definitely feeling its age, though:

Video: MSI GeForce GTX 260 Twin Frozr OC
Memory: OCZ Gold 8GB DDR3-1333
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3P ATX LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E 2PCI GBLAN CrossFireX USB3.0 SATA3 Motherboard
PSU: Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan

I'd love to put a new video card in it, but am worried my CPU/MB/RAM is going to be a bottleneck. I do a lot of animation work, so a faster CPU and RAM wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure what practical implications a new CPU and RAM would have in terms of graphical performance. Thoughts? Realistically, do I need to do a complete overhaul, or is the GPU going to be the only really relevant hardware?

If you do a lot of animation work then I would go for a full upgrade. What's your budget? You could get away with just CPU, Mobo and video card. Your RAM would carry over fine until you feel you need to get faster stuff.

Karmum

Banned
Running a GTX 460 SLI setup and I've wondered this for awhile...any particular reason why in SLI I can maybe get 830 core and a bit over 2000 memory if I'm lucky, and with my one 460 I can get well over 900/2100 without it going insane?

I'm thinking it has to do with temperature, the other (and presumably not as reliable) 460 will climb into the 90s much quicker and will freeze the computer than my stronger 460.

I have that one bitmining (don't ask - extremely silly to use NVIDIA cards for bitmining), more in an attempt to examine my video cards a bit further. Attempted to use the other and weaker 460 with it and it climbed into the 90s pretty quickly, even when at factory settings. It won't matter soon enough when I upgrade to either a 770 or wait out for the 800 series but holy shit, I wish I could get past like 835/2000 in SLI...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Running a GTX 460 SLI setup and I've wondered this for awhile...any particular reason why in SLI I can maybe get 830 core and a bit over 2000 memory if I'm lucky, and with my one 460 I can get well over 900/2100 without it going insane?
One card OCs better.
Plus more load on PSU/Mobo can muck with power delivery.
I posted my system a few months ago. Unfortunately, I ran into some issues with my power supply (coil whine). It was the:
  • Seasonic Platinum-660 Fully Modular 80PLUS 660W PSU
I'm writing to this thread again; as I've finally agreed with Canada Computers to give me store credit (as it's been stuck in their RMA process for 2 months; with no end in sight). I wanted to know if anyone had any new suggestions for a replacement?

Sizing may be an issue; as the case is a BitFenix Prodigy (I know a few power supplies will not fit). I'd like to keep it modular; to reduce cabling. I also want something as quiet as possible. Here are some additional details for the system:

Key components:
  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Socket 1150 Intel Z87
  • Intel Core i5-4670K - Socket LGA1150, 3.4Ghz
  • MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr 3 2GB GDDR5
  • G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 RAM - 10-10-10-30) - RipjawsX Series
Additional:
  • Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD
  • WD10EZEX 1TB
  • Corsair Hydro Series H60 2013 Liquid CPU Cooler
  • ASUS (DRW-24B3ST)
  • Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit English OEM
As always, thanks! I can't wait to finally use my new computer (after 2 months of this bullshit)!
You could try the Corsair RM series.

aasoncott

If you do a lot of animation work then I would go for a full upgrade. What's your budget? You could get away with just CPU, Mobo and video card. Your RAM would carry over fine until you feel you need to get faster stuff.

I'm trying to figure out the budget. Realistically I can probably only do the GPU in the next few months, then rebuild the rest of it...someday. I just wanted to make sure putting money into the GPU isn't a totally lost cause. I'm assuming with a decent GPU, the CPU should have a pretty minimal effect on gaming performance. If that isn't the case, I might have to look into a larger upgrade, maybe find a bit of freelance work to fund it.

One card OCs better.
Plus more load on PSU/Mobo can muck with power delivery.

You could try the Corsair RM series.

Thanks Hazaro; this looks like a good choice. At least, it seems to be marketed as aimed towards avoiding coil whine.

I've heard that it's best to avoid Platinum and Gold efficiency; as they are prone to more noise. Any truth to that?

Also, would this specific one be a good choice for my system:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1238_443&item_id=063128

The dimensions look identical to the one I replaced; but the cables were crammed with the Seasonic in the Prodigy case.

Cheers!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks Hazaro; this looks like a good choice. At least, it seems to be marketed as aimed towards avoiding coil whine.

I've heard that it's best to avoid Platinum and Gold efficiency; as they are prone to more noise. Any truth to that?

Also, would this specific one be a good choice for my system:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_1238_443&item_id=063128

The dimensions look identical to the one I replaced; but the cables were crammed with the Seasonic in the Prodigy case.

Cheers!
I'd say the whine problems were mainly a thing from the Seasonic X platform (also Corsair AX) which was the best Gold unit at the time. I don't think you can apply it to all PSUs.

Code:
Dimension	150 x 86 x 160mm
Check if 150mm or 160mm is the limit on depth. 160mm might 'fit' but I know some supplies being 150mm will make it nicer.
Tempted to order my motherboard and ram right now. Screw the possibilities of black friday/cyber monday. I don't think there will be any big sales on the motherboard, and the ram seems like a great deal, it's this g-skill ripjaw x-series 8gb (2x4) for $63
It's possible there will be an alright deal on a CPU/Mobo combo. RAM usually is one thign that does go on sale, but that's not a bad deal at all (even if it isn't low profile).

AcridMeat

Banned
It's possible there will be an alright deal on a CPU/Mobo combo. RAM usually is one thign that does go on sale, but that's not a bad deal at all (even if it isn't low profile).
That's true, I was going to hold off on the 4770k because I'm pretty confident that will have a deal of some sort. In that case I'll just wait on the RAM. There's a couple low profile ones I like better which I could get for ~$75 right now but they will probably have something better as well.

I just remembered I had paid off some things so I don't have quite the urge to impulse buy yet.

New to amd gpu. What graphics driver to get for 280x? I thought it would be r9 2xx series but says incompatible. device manager shows "hd 7900 series" so get the hd 7xx??

jfoul

I need a fully modular PSU for my Sugo SG09. I'm thinking about grabbing a Corsair AX760 PSU from their outlet store for $89.99. Anybody have experience dealing with their outlet store?

daninthemix

Sorry if this has been asked, but is it too early to start thinking about an ideal GPU for next-gen ports / multiplats? I'm guessing AMD.

how long do i have to run prime95 blend test to determine if my thermal paste job is good. After 5 min it looks like this. It basically just has been sitting at those numbers:

EDIT: after half an hour max peak temp has been 70 then stuck around 60-65 for a while now back between 50-53

mVx5QYN.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom