• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knch

But if I have the same ram in the same channel (2x2gb) and a single ram in another channel (1x4gb) will it work?

It will, but only in single channel mode. For dual channel mode, the number of modules and size of those modules, needs to match.

If you're only gaming, you won't notice the drop in memory bandwidth by going to single channel.

so with 290 reviews coming out and i think it launches today... can we expect nvidia to make any more moves on pricing and what not soon?

Hesistant on getting either, though i'm still edging more to nvidia for the exclusive stuff.

Do Amazon and newegg do do price matching of stuff bought recently?

Newline

It will, but only in single channel mode. For dual channel mode, the number of modules and size of those modules, needs to match.

If you're only gaming, you won't notice the drop in memory bandwidth by going to single channel.
Nice one thanks!

No reply in the 290 thread, so I'll try here:

is my Corsair HX520 enough for this?

Rig:

ASUS Z87-PRO
Intel Core i5-4670K
8GB RAM
Radeon 7850
Samsung SSD
WD 1TB HDD
DVD-RW

This is, without a doubt, my next PC upgrade. Away with the 7850! \o/

kharma45

Rig:

ASUS Z87-PRO
Intel Core i5-4670K
8GB RAM
Radeon 7850
Samsung SSD
WD 1TB HDD
DVD-RW

What age is it? Should still be just about enough. Depending on the age however it might be worth sizing up a fresher one.

Rig:

ASUS Z87-PRO
Intel Core i5-4670K
8GB RAM
Radeon 7850
Samsung SSD
WD 1TB HDD
DVD-RW

I literally built this yesterday. Except I used an ASRock Pro 4.

AcridMeat

Banned
What age is it? Should still be just about enough. Depending on the age however it might be worth sizing up a fresher one.
I was going to ask. I have a 650w antec neopower that I was planning on using for this new build. However it's in my current PC that I built 5 years ago. It's probably worth getting a new one isn't it? If so, any good recommendations for something around 650w? The build I'm going for with the drives I'll be adding should need around 540w to start.

Addnan

I was going to ask. I have a 650w antec neopower that I was planning on using for this new build. However it's in my current PC that I built 5 years ago. It's probably worth getting a new one isn't it? If so, any good recommendations for something around 650w? The build I'm going for with the drives I'll be adding should need around 540w to start.
Budget?

AcridMeat

Banned
As it's unforeseen, cheaper would be better. What do PSUs run for these days? Is $80 reasonable? I'd say 80-100.

edit: More information I already ordered my 4770k, ASUS Maximus VI Hero board, planning on an 840 pro SSD to go with a 500gb and 2tb drive, a 560ti and 8gb of ram.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
My Galaxy hall of fame 780 just got shipped by Amazon. Oh yeah! Thanks Pc gaf, for all the help you provided me in building this PC.

yatesl

As it's unforeseen, cheaper would be better. What do PSUs run for these days? Is $80 reasonable? I'd say 80-100.

edit: More information I already ordered my 4770k, ASUS Maximus VI Hero board, planning on an 840 pro SSD to go with a 500gb and 2tb drive, a 560ti and 8gb of ram.

Corsair are decent, and this is semi-modular too.

kharma45

It's also poor relative to other units at the same price.

Seasonic m12ii 620w was $55 recently, not sure if it still is.

Addnan

Corsair CX are not great.

$90 will get you this Seasonic G series 650W which is a great unit. The 550W is about the same price, so just picked 650W. 550 will be fine too.

Really depends when you buy, new deals pop up all the time.

Ok I have everything for my buddies PC now. I'm going to be building it tonight, but just yesterday another friend ask me to do the same for him. PC part bargain hunting never ends.

kharma45

If it were me I'd wait on a deal, I can't see much value in the market for a PSU atm as most of the good deals finished yesterday on Newegg. Wait a week or so and see what crops up.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm still waiting for BF/CM deals for the SSD and maybe RAM so I don't mind waiting for a sale on the PSU. I might cave on one of these ripjaw deals that are around $60-65 though.

I just wanted to get an idea if anything has changed when trying to pick a PSU these days and what brands are still reputable. Thanks for the help.

edit: Damn nicer PSUs are more expensive than I remember. Might just say screw it and up the budget to ~$125

kharma45

I'm still waiting for BF/CM deals for the SSD and maybe RAM so I don't mind waiting for a sale on the PSU. I might cave on one of these ripjaw deals that are around $60-65 though.

I just wanted to get an idea if anything has changed when trying to pick a PSU these days and what brands are still reputable. Thanks for the help.

Brands to stick to are Corsair (apart from CX models), all Seasonic's, all XFXs and most of Be Quiet!s stuff.

I'd grab that Gskill RAM now whilst it's cheap.

AcridMeat

Banned
I think I'll just avoid corsair then.

Is this sniper series worth the low profile & speed if I'm going to have a 212? The other option is this ripjaw. I don't have much recollection on how big of a difference the timings make.

Also this XFX is $99 after rebate, is that reasonable or were they one of the ones just on sale? It's out of stock at newegg right now which is why I ask.

kharma45

I think I'll just avoid corsair then.

Is this sniper series worth the low profile & speed if I'm going to have a 212? The other option is this ripjaw. I don't have much recollection on how big of a difference the timings make.

Also this XFX is $99 after rebate, is that reasonable or were they one of the ones just on sale? It's out of stock at newegg right now which is why I ask.

It's a pretty good price on it yeah, superb PSU too.

As for RAM timings don't really matter that much imo, nor does speed. Ripjaws are still quite LP, just get what is cheapest.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's a pretty good price on it yeah, superb PSU too.

As for RAM timings don't really matter that much imo, nor does speed. Ripjaws are still quite LP, just get what is cheapest.
They're a couple dollars apart which is why I ask. :)

I'll go ahead and order that PSU, looks great.

kharma45

For the sake of a few bucks I guess if it were me I would probably grab the slightly better ones. It's like $3 difference isn't it?

JustinBB7

In Europe, 120hz is pretty "cheap" if you want quality. A good monitor is more than €200 anyway.

I have a feeling I managed to buy the XL2411T right before a price increase. It was €268 a while ago but many sites are selling it for more than €300 now.

Bought it for €278.

I can get a Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-GB1 for 274 euros. Cheapest 120hz in holland (at least on the pricecheck). There are only 6 different 120hz monitors in there. Seems like it's a minor thing atm then.

Is the Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-GB1 a good one then?

Dawg

I can get a Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-GB1 for 274 euros. Cheapest 120hz in holland (at least on the pricecheck). There are only 6 different 120hz monitors in there. Seems like it's a minor thing atm then.

I'd just get the XL2411T if you live in the Netherlands.

Bought one yesterday for €278 on azerty.nl

AcridMeat

Banned
For the sake of a few bucks I guess if it were me I would probably grab the slightly better ones. It's like $3 difference isn't it?
Yeah exactly. Great, PSU, 212 evo, RAM ordered. :) 8.1 showed up today, mobo/cpu in a day or two. All that's left is my ssd and a disk drive.

Now that I have almost everything already I may just order the remaining once my next check comes. Exciting!

bro1

Banned
I came so close today to selling my GTX 770 for a good price to get a 290. Going to hold out until the next year and see what comes out next.

bro1

Banned

I have an Asus 144hz monitor and honestly, I can't tell the difference in many games. At first I thought it was awesome but now I'm not that blown away. Wish I had spent the money on a higher res monitor.

JustinBB7

I'd just get the XL2411T if you live in the Netherlands.

Bought one yesterday for €278 on azerty.nl

They don't have any left looks like. Delivery time 10+ days and none in stock. :(

I have an Asus 144hz monitor and honestly, I can't tell the difference in many games. At first I thought it was awesome but now I'm not that blown away. Wish I had spent the money on a higher res monitor.

That's what I'm worried about, spend so much money on a slight difference that doesn't really give any real benefit. Maybe I'll notice it a lot, maybe I won't.

On the other hand, I bought such a good computer, might as well go the extra step and finish it up completely. Decisions, decisions! So much money.

Lingitiz

Can you guys suggest some affordable ATX cases that are small? I have a full sized ATX board, but i want to make my desktop more mobile to make trips out on the weekends. I currently use a NZXT source 210.

I was looking at this Lian Li case as a possible solution.

Dawg

They don't have any left looks like. Delivery time 10+ days and none in stock. :(

That's what I'm worried about, spend so much money on a slight difference that doesn't really give any real benefit. Maybe I'll notice it a lot, maybe I won't.

On the other hand, I bought such a good computer, might as well go the extra step and finish it up completely. Decisions, decisions! So much money.

Lol, seems like I bought the final one :eek:

I'd say: look around in other shops... but the BenQ seems to be sold out everywhere :( This shop has one: http://www.conrad.nl/ce/nl/product/562570?WT.mc_id=tt&insert=9J but it's €299

Roland1979

These are some other Dutch web-shops. I probably buy most of my stuff from both Azerty and Afuture.
And i have the XL2411T, from Azerty but not one of the last models lol (bought a few things a few months ago to soften the financial blow on a whole new rig).

Paradigit
Alternate
Salland
Afuture

AcridMeat

Banned
Ah shit I forgot about my $20 promo that I have to wait another couple days on I could have used for the RAM. My anxiousness always bites me in the ass.

Crisco

Banned
Just an opinion piece, but it seems OCZ's days are numbered.

OCZ Implodes: Even At 75 Cents You Should Avoid It

They made the best OC'ing RAM a few years ago.

Yikes, I hope this doesn't effect PC Power and Cooling. Also, I'm not terribly surprised. Every single RAM kit I've ever bought from them eventually had to be RMA'd. Last time was a 3x2GB kit of DDR3 1600, and the replacement kit had a DOA stick. I swore them off for good at that point and only buy G.Skill now, which has never failed me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yikes. Just got a monitor in the mail. Almost a year later and my computer is done.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Can someone help with this BSOD I keep getting. It's happened 3 times in the past 4 days, so relatively infrequent I guess. Twice during BF4 and once while I was just chilling in Chrome watching a football stream.

BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA800EA6B028
BCP3: 00000000BE000000
BCP4: 000000000100110A

It says hardware error and I'm assuming it's my GPU (brand new GTX770) since it never happened before I installed it. Like yesterday everything works fine 60fps BF4 Ultra and all that jazz. Nothing is overclocked, CPU temperature is fine, newest drivers. But then it blue screens once and goes back to working fine for the rest of the night. Could it be faulty? Would updating my BIOS help? I'm always hesitant in doing that. I don't know and it bugs the shit outta me.

Using BlueScreenView it says that the hal.dll driver is causing it.

Crisco

Banned
Hmmmm 124 is either an unstable CPU or bad RAM. Since you're not overclocked, I'm guessing RAM. Start yanking DIMMS until you find out which one is causing you problems.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So far I'm semi-unimpressed by all this 144hz nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom