• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here hook up desktop to a receiver?

I'm assuming I would pass video over HDMI and audio...well that's where I get lost. I currently only use on board audio. Would it be suggested I get an audio card for this? The primary purpose of this would be for games, movies and tv shows.

Jessicat

There is a Canadian PC Parts Picker that draws prices from sources like newegg.ca.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/

You can pricematch the whole kit on NCIX as well if you want.
I tried that but it got a little confusing with some redundant-seeming parts and I didn't know what to choose. Also I hate rebates. I think I'll just go with everything from NCIX. [seems no one here is cool with TigerDirect?] How do you get NCIX to pricematch?

Just buy everything from NCIX (They also do price matching), if something isnt on there post back and someone will suggest a replacement.
Okay I found most of the parts I think:
Intel Core i7 4770K Unlocked Quad Core 3.5GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 8MB Cache Retail: $334.99
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Z87 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 4K HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard: $169.99
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 1150MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card: $254.99
Samsung 840 Evo Series MZ-7TE250BW 250GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD Single Unit Version: $198.99
Antec Basiq BP550 Plus 550W 24PIN ATX 12V V2.2 80PLUS Modular Active PFC Power Supply: $69.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 1366/1150/1155/1156/2011 120mm: $34.98
ASUS Xonar Dgx Headphone AMP & 5.1 PCI-E Sound Card With Low Profile Bracket *IR-$5*: $44.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM: $72.88
I'm just not sure on RAM, a case, or the blu-ray drive [is the one on NCIX good? I don't need the writer.]
Thanks for the help all. Soon I won't be posting from my mom's [crappy] netbook...as long as I can figure out how to put everything together once I get it ^^;

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just spent 1.5 hrs routing cables, using twist-ties, etc... but at least the backside of my motherboard doesn't look like a mess anymore. :)
My bitfenix alchemy sleeved extensions showed up today and I have to say that I'm impressed with the quality. The sata cables were a little stiff but no big deal in the end.

t-ramp

I'm assuming I would pass video over HDMI and audio...well that's where I get lost. I currently only use on board audio. Would it be suggested I get an audio card for this? The primary purpose of this would be for games, movies and tv shows.
You could pass HDMI through the receiver, use analog audio from the port(s) on your motherboard, or use a digital coaxial/optical connection if your motherboard has one. There's probably no reason to get a sound card unless you need the best possible audio fidelity.

You could pass HDMI through the receiver, use analog audio from the port(s) on your motherboard, or use a digital coaxial/optical connection if your motherboard has one. There's probably no reason to get a sound card unless you need the best possible audio fidelity.

Great. Yea I'm not looking for crazy good audio. Now to just find the cables I need.

I'm looking at R9 280X videocards and comparing prices, and I noticed that most shops don't have any 280X cards in stock. Some sites even have 'pre-order' rather than 'order' buttons on some cards (the Sapphire 280X Toxic for example).

Weren't these cards supposed to release one month ago? Is the demand still really high? Are they releasing later in Europe (specifically, the Netherlands)?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hmmmm 124 is either an unstable CPU or bad RAM. Since you're not overclocked, I'm guessing RAM. Start yanking DIMMS until you find out which one is causing you problems.

Hmm, I'll try. It happened once when I used just 1 stick of 8gb. Then I put in another stick yesterday and it's happened 2 more times. So I guess it has to be that first stick? It's detecting the 16gb just fine though and it only occurs about once a day like I said. Just really weird.

paskowitz

Ok GAF, I want to invest in my first desktop PC. I know next to nothing about PC tech so, bear with me.

My questions center around CPU, GPU and motherboards. Everything else makes sense to me (RAM, SSD, power supply, etc). Right now I have a crap Dell Studio XPS laptop from 2010. It is basically worthless now (can't even get F1 2013 on low to crack 30fps).

My main requirement is upgrade-ability for the future and price to performance ratio. The biggest determinant of this is the motherboard and if I go AMD or nvidia? Huh?

Is it worth it to invest in a top of the line motherboard initially and go with entry level parts else (obviously, I have the intention of upgrade significantly in the future)? If I go with an AMD GPU am I locked into an AMD CPU as well, same for nvidia? Is there any new or developing tech I should be specifically aware of?

Basically, I would like my supporting cast members to be ready when I sign Daniel Day Lewis and Colin Firth, but I will not be able to sign them immediately. Perhaps this is not the best way to even go about things????

Your Current Specs: POS Dell.
Budget: $800USD
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: 5: PC racing sims, video editing, basic CAD, work, video/music
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 Pioneer Kuro
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60fps @1080p. Not a huge stickler for AA, can be mild. Initially, I would like it to run most PC sims at high with mild AA. I would like to be able to eventually run them at max @60fps/1080p. I have little interest in anything like Crysis or GTA on the PC.
Looking to reuse any parts?: 1x 3tb 72k rpm HDD 1x laptop hybrid drive (I have all software)
When will you build?: 3 months or so.
Will you be overclocking?: Not initially.

Finished my buddy's PC build earlier. It went smoothly but he still needs to pick up a copy of windows and the DVD drive I scavenged from a throw away PC at work won't open.

LCGeek

formerly sane
So I finally got my AMD Radeon game code thing and noticed that the game list has gotten smaller and smaller. Anyone know if they'll add more games soon, because the list is now just a bunch of games that are pretty ancient now.

I was pissed C3 got removed and some others.

Josh378

I have a question: I Just picked up a 4770k i7 and a Maximus Hero VI board (socket 1150), but I want to pick up 16 GB of ram (8 GB modules) and OC the ram. Is there any recommendation for memory that anyone would recommend for extreme gaming?

golem

Got my 290 today

BYWUMkfCAAAx4e2.jpg:large

Quick Unigine Valley run

kennah

Are you sending video to the receiver through hdmi? Because that's how it would get audio as well. You don't need extra cables

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I tried that but it got a little confusing with some redundant-seeming parts and I didn't know what to choose. Also I hate rebates. I think I'll just go with everything from NCIX. [seems no one here is cool with TigerDirect?] How do you get NCIX to pricematch?

Okay I found most of the parts I think:

I'm just not sure on RAM, a case, or the blu-ray drive [is the one on NCIX good? I don't need the writer.]
Thanks for the help all. Soon I won't be posting from my mom's [crappy] netbook...as long as I can figure out how to put everything together once I get it ^^;
Looks good. A SATA BR reader drive is fine.
You only need the 4670K for gaming if you want to save $100.
I have a question: I Just picked up a 4770k i7 and a Maximus Hero VI board (socket 1150), but I want to pick up 16 GB of ram (8 GB modules) and OC the ram. Is there any recommendation for memory that anyone would recommend for extreme gaming?
Extreme gaming RAM = 0.1% performance boost.
Save your money and buy any low profile 1600 or 1886Mhz sticks that run at 1.35V or 1.5V

If you don't give a shit buy the Samsung 1.35V green sticks from some person or some 2133 memory.
Ok GAF, I want to invest in my first desktop PC. I know next to nothing about PC tech so, bear with me.

My questions center around CPU, GPU and motherboards. Everything else makes sense to me (RAM, SSD, power supply, etc). Right now I have a crap Dell Studio XPS laptop from 2010. It is basically worthless now (can't even get F1 2013 on low to crack 30fps).

My main requirement is upgrade-ability for the future and price to performance ratio. The biggest determinant of this is the motherboard and if I go AMD or nvidia? Huh?

Is it worth it to invest in a top of the line motherboard initially and go with entry level parts else (obviously, I have the intention of upgrade significantly in the future)? If I go with an AMD GPU am I locked into an AMD CPU as well, same for nvidia? Is there any new or developing tech I should be specifically aware of?

Basically, I would like my supporting cast members to be ready when I sign Daniel Day Lewis and Colin Firth, but I will not be able to sign them immediately. Perhaps this is not the best way to even go about things????

Your Current Specs: POS Dell.
Budget: $800USD
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: 5: PC racing sims, video editing, basic CAD, work, video/music
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 Pioneer Kuro
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60fps @1080p. Not a huge stickler for AA, can be mild. Initially, I would like it to run most PC sims at high with mild AA. I would like to be able to eventually run them at max @60fps/1080p. I have little interest in anything like Crysis or GTA on the PC.
Looking to reuse any parts?: 1x 3tb 72k rpm HDD 1x laptop hybrid drive (I have all software)
When will you build?: 3 months or so.
Will you be overclocking?: Not initially.
Go with the build in the OP closest to $800.

Intel and AMD both will keep changing sockets so upgradability is moot. Intel has a very large speed lead right now per thread, so everything for gaming is Intel atm.

High end mobo makes no sense as the mid-tier ones are fantastic if you are on a limited budget.

You can do any CPU + any GPU combo.

What age is it? Should still be just about enough. Depending on the age however it might be worth sizing up a fresher one.

I literally built this yesterday. Except I used an ASRock Pro 4.
Got the PSU back in '09, IIRC.
Never had a single issue with it.

I already have that computer built, and now I'm thinking of switching the 7850 to a 290 while keeping the HX520 PSU. Would that work? Considering the 290's load?

ASUS Z87-PRO
Intel Core i5-4670K (nonOC, will OC in the future for sure)
Noctua NH-D14
8GB RAM
XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition (factory OC to 975/1250) --> switch this to R9 290
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
WD 1TB HDD
DVD-RW

Corsair HX520 520W PSU

Specs:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article692-page1.html

golem

I already have that computer built, and now I'm thinking of switching the 7850 to a 290 while keeping the HX520 PSU. Would that work? Considering the 290's load?

I put the 290 in the computer with an Antec 500w psu in it (and 3770K oc'd to 4.5).. it made it fine through the benchmarks but the psu began to start whining on some of the more intense scenes. Never heard that even with the 670 OC'd... guessing it was reaching its limits. So it will most likely work on your 520 but if i started hearing that noise i would probably consider upgrading.

Dr Dogg

Just in reference to the couple of PSU questions earlier. the thing you have to bare in mind that there are very few actual PSU OEM's (that's manufacturers and not a company branding). I can't speak for every brand but definitely Corsair and mainly the same for a few other but all Corsairs' PSU are either manufactured by CWT or Seasonic. Lower end like VS, CX & maybe GS are all made by CWT and is clearly reflected in the price. I know for a fact (because I own one) that the AX series is made by Seasonic.

Moral of the story. Go and check who actually manufacturers a PSU before buying it as it more than likely isn't by the name on the side.

Just in reference to the couple of PSU questions earlier. the thing you have to bare in mind that there are very few actual PSU OEM's (that's manufacturers and not a company branding). I can't speak for every brand but definitely Corsair and mainly the same for a few other but all Corsairs' PSU are either manufactured by CWT or Seasonic.
HX520 is built by Seasonic.

"Someone had to make this PSU, and it would be silly for Corsair to make their own. Choosing Seasonic as their OEM is a perfectly wise decision, considering how successful Seasonic PSUs have been, not only for silent PC enthusiasts but for demanding PS users of all stripes and colors."

Mine started in Aug of 12. Still not done.

As for monitor. You are using a dual link dvi or displayport cable right?

It's noticeable when you go back and forth.

And IMO, we have always hit some of the biggest diminishing returns (in the CRT days, at least), around 75Hz.

kennah

How would my video card pass audio?
It's designed to... Essentially there is a sound card built into the video card.

It isn't seggregated since sound became software controlled rather than hardware controlled. So the video card sends the digital audio signals down the hdmi cable the same way a console or bluray player do.

Sound is starting to get back to having hardware accelleration like it used to, but other than better fidelity it doesn't do much right mow.

i'm excited to see if anyone does anything with the TrueAudio accelleration in the 260x and 290(x) it's basically the gpu equivelant for sound.

It's designed to... Essentially there is a sound card built into the video card.

It isn't seggregated since sound became software controlled rather than hardware controlled. So the video card sends the digital audio signals down the hdmi cable the same way a console or bluray player do.

Sound is starting to get back to having hardware accelleration like it used to, but other than better fidelity it doesn't do much right mow.

i'm excited to see if anyone does anything with the TrueAudio accelleration in the 260x and 290(x) it's basically the gpu equivelant for sound.

Excellent!

V_Arnold

Hey folks!

I am looking at potential upgrades for my rather old HD4850 videocard, which got its job done, albeit not too spectacularly with every new release that I played.

My question is simple: which would you prefer from these candidates:
-Ati HD7750 1gb gddr5
-Ati HD7770 1gb gddr5
-Nvidia GTX650 2gb gddr5

Now, I am no power gamer, and my cpu will be (in a few months, hopefully) an FX-6300. Currently using a Phenom II 550 @ 3.0ghz.

The games I am looking to play with the cards:
- Diablo III
- Path of Exile
- StarCraft II and its upcoming expansion
- World of Warcraft's newest expansion
....and maybe Grim Dawn and some DOTA2/LOL/Heroes of the Whatever.

I am just about to get an 1680*1050 monitor (used, cheap, yo :D), so that is the target resolution. I am currently leaning towards the HD7750 or the GTX, the 7770 seems to be a bit of an overkill for my purposes. Any recommendations as to which one to choose? Also, I wonder whether that 2gb gddr5 on the gtx will ever be used when I am playing sub-1080p.

maneil99

As title says, has only happened twice now in BF4. Game will be fine, all of a sudden red boxes like a checkerboard will come up and within a few seconds my PC will hardlock.

I got this in BF3 aswell after a Nvidia driver update. Any idea what it is, what are the chances Dice fixes it on their side vs Nvidia on their driver side? I have had my 780 for about 4 months ( 96 days)

Seanspeed

Banned
Hey folks!

I am looking at potential upgrades for my rather old HD4850 videocard, which got its job done, albeit not too spectacularly with every new release that I played.

My question is simple: which would you prefer from these candidates:
-Ati HD7750 1gb gddr5
-Ati HD7770 1gb gddr5
-Nvidia GTX650 2gb gddr5
Go with the GTX650.

Seems like your budget is about $100? If you can stretch it to $30 more, you can get a 2GB HD7850 or GTX650Ti. Or:

Hey Guys, quick simple question.

Newegg is having a deal on a 7870 with 2 free games for $140. This PC is for my GF for christmas. Should I pull the trigger now, or wait for Black Friday for a better deal? I haven't bought a GPU in about 2 years now.
Great deal.

This thread seems pretty heavily slanted on the Intel side. I don't see why people would go with an i3 when you can run an FX-8xxx series AMD CPU with more horsepower, not to mention cores, for much less (MB + CPU combo).

I built my AMD gaming PC (Phenom X4 @ 4ghz / Radeon 6850OC) for ~$550 and can run BF3 on ultra @ 45-60 fps. People should know they have options.

Here are some extra shitty images of the PC I built yesterday for a friend:
Z4F5Pf0.jpg

Components:
i7 3770K
ASUS P8 Z77-V LK
8 GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
MSI R7970 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Boost Edition
Corsair 650TX
Cooler Master 212 Plus
Corsair 200R

It ended up costing $850. I was happy to be able to fit an i7 in his budget based on benchmarks of BF4. It doesn't seem crucial now but there are tangible benefits associated to the additional threads.

IRjSwRl.jpg

Cable management could probably use some work but air flow should be fine. There is only so much you can do with a non modular power supply. Most of the visible cables are actually behind the motherboard tray except for the nest at the bottom of the case.

Still need a copy of Windows which he will hopefully be supplying soon. It posts and everything is properly recognized in the bios except the auto settings for the ram timings are wrong. I guess I'll have to set those manually. It's setting the timings to 11-11-11-24 but it's actually specced for 8-8-8-24.

kennah

Seeing as 90% of the headset threads are dead as dodo's I figured I'd ask this here.

What difference is there between these two headsets, other than the price (one is through a reseller) and weird Win XP/ Windows 7 and 8 stuff which I can't see mattering(?)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001UQ6FSE/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJ5FPSQ/

They're the exact same headset.

This thread seems pretty heavily slanted on the Intel side. I don't see why people would go with an i3 when you can run an FX-8xxx series AMD CPU with more horsepower, not to mention cores, for much less (MB + CPU combo).

I built my AMD gaming PC (Phenom X4 @ 4ghz / Radeon 6850OC) for ~$550 and can run BF3 on ultra @ 45-60 fps. People should know they have options.

Intel is objectively better. It's not just the CPU that we take into account. Examples:

1. The chips consume less power, thus cheaper power supplies can be used.

2. Good over clocking boards for AMD are more expensive (though the basic boards can be cheaper - they often can't run the higher end chips at even their stock clocks)

3. You reference comparing an i3 versus an FX8xxx series. If you buy an FX and you find that it isn't performing to your needs - what is the upgrade path at that point? If you have an i3 you can pop an i5 or i7 in there and get a massive boost without having to replace everything.

Casanova

I just bought an old PNY NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX for a computer I plan on giving to my 7 year old nephew for Christmas.

I'm building a custom for myself, periodically, thanks to this thread.

The problem is, I need a minimum 450 Watt PSU for this card.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I just snagged one off of ebay for $25

Giggzy

Not necessarily the right place to post this, but I'm having doubts about the PS4 purchase and I'm thinking of turning it into a PC build. Grrrr I don't have a monitor or anything though so it would be a big upfront investment. I'd drop at least $900 on the rig itself, so it would be over $1k total... Decisions, decisions.

kennah

Not necessarily the right place to post this, but I'm having doubts about the PS4 purchase and I'm thinking of turning it into a PC build. Grrrr I don't have a monitor or anything though so it would be a big upfront investment. I'd drop at least $900 on the rig itself, so it would be over $1k total... Decisions, decisions.

Doooo iiiiitttt Joooooiiiiinnnn ussssss

(and read the OP to get an idea what your money will get you - though there may be updates soonish I think)

clem84

Gold Member
Does anyone know if using the IGP of an i5-4670 is a viable long term solution?

I'm building a PC for my mom (word processing, web surfing, HD videos, no gaming) and originally I was planning on buying a cheap PCI card but the guy at a computer store where I live told me that the IGP on the i5-4670 that I chose for the PC was enough for all my needs. I was happy because this saves me from having to buy a cheap 30-40$ card but I'm wondering if constantly taxing the CPU to do all the graphics is a good thing. This is a PC that she will hopefully keep for the next 5-10 years. I just wanted to make sure that using this "no video card and relying solely on the CPU" thing is a good long term solution. Anyone know?

kennah

I'm building a PC for my mom (word processing, web surfing, HD videos, no gaming) and originally I was planning on buying a cheap PCI card but the guy at a computer store where I live told me that the IGP on the i5-4670 that I chose for the PC was enough for all my needs. I was happy because this saves me from having to buy a cheap 30-40$ card but I'm wondering if constantly taxing the CPU to do all the graphics is a good thing. This is a PC that she will hopefully keep for the next 5-10 years. I just wanted to make sure that using this "no video card and relying solely on the CPU" thing is a good long term solution. Anyone know?

Wouldn't be a problem at all. It's not taxing on the CPU in any way over what would already be happening.

Also when use use just the onboard it lets you look into smaller cases and small cases are awesome.

Use integrated graphics, there is no need for a dedicated card for that application. It will not harm the CPU, it's how the bulk of PC graphics is handled in almost every non-gaming PC.

Guys, what's a good recommended monitor that can be overclocked for downsampling purposes? My Dell U2711 is fantastic, and has everything I want visually, but the lack of downsampling is progressively becoming more of an issue for me when taking screenshots etc in gaming.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So if I'm going to want to color configurate this here display how would I go about doing that?

clem84

Gold Member
Wouldn't be a problem at all. It's not taxing on the CPU in any way over what would already be happening.

Also when use use just the onboard it lets you look into smaller cases and small cases are awesome.
Use integrated graphics, there is no need for a dedicated card for that application. It will not harm the CPU, it's how the bulk of PC graphics are handled in almost every non-gaming PC.

Thanks for the replies. I will go for the IGP on the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom