• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Have there been any more updates on when the G-Sync DIY module will be made available?

I don't think so! I'm also wanting this thing, just got one of those asus monitors. The colors are ass though.

If an overclock is unstable, is it possible for it to cause a game to crash while the OS is still perfectly fine? Or is that probably driver related or something?

I got a couple crashes today in TF2 for the first time. I've had this same overclock for about 2 months with no problems, same driver for about 3 weeks, just wondering... thanks.

brentech

If an overclock is unstable, is it possible for it to cause a game to crash while the OS is still perfectly fine? Or is that probably driver related or something?

I got a couple crashes today in TF2 for the first time. I've had this same overclock for about 2 months with no problems, same driver for about 3 weeks, just wondering... thanks.
Have you checked event viewer to see what the error is?
That can often lead you to your answer.

CRS

Has your 580 stopped working? Neither of those are an upgrade from it.

It's working fine, I was just wondering if they were a possible upgrade for a fraction of the price. I decided not to get them though so it worked out in the end.

Could anyone help me with this? TF2 stated crashing today. This is in the event viewer. System is 6950 2GB, 2500K @ 4Ghz, Win 8. Thanks.

Faulting application name: hl2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x526aeb3e
Faulting module name: engine.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5272ce1a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00172c5c
Faulting process id: 0x7f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cedb3091802a3a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\bin\engine.dll
Report Id: ca7bcd25-4726-11e3-bebe-14dae909675a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

edit: already tried verifying game cache.
edit2: just noticed there's a tech support thread, I'll try there.

THE:MILKMAN

If he can save up the extra I'd go for this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.69 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£48.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 8GB (2x 4GB) Ballistix Tactical Memory (£54.00)
Total: £382.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-03 20:15 GMT+0000)

It is the best option in the long run as you'll have an overclockable CPU, a good motherboard for it and a PSU to handle any single GPU. All that would be needed would be a Hyper 212 to overclock the CPU for around £25 down the line when he has more funds.

If money is really tight and doesn't want to save a bit more you can drop to Ivy and get a 450w PSU

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£165.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£104.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£35.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 8GB (2x 4GB) Ballistix Tactical Memory (£54.00)
Total: £360.29
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-03 20:20 GMT+0000)

There is lastly this combo within budget where you go for a less able motherboard when it comes to overclocking but it allows for the 550w PSU

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£165.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£79.49 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£48.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £348.45
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-03 20:21 GMT+0000)

All of those options are solid choices. I would imagine it will be between build 1 with Haswell and build 3 with the G45.

Hazaro said:
Used 2500K/3570K plus a $100 Z77 board = $230 + BP550 or other modular 500W ($65) + 8GB DDR3 ($60, can also buy used since it's all lifetime warranty)

Thanks guys. I linked my brother to this thread and he's been shopping around the last couple of days and has come up with the following list for ~£355:

i5 4670K
Gigabyte Z87 HD3
8GB Kingston HyperX Red
Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 550W

Couple of questions....Is the above good enough? And is the RAM at 1.65v OK?

Will post here just in case...

Should be getting a brand new Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive tomorrow that I no longer need. Anyone interested in buying for like $100 shipped just PM me?

20-239-045-TS

kennah

Thanks guys. I linked my brother to this thread and he's been shopping around the last couple of days and has come up with the following list for ~£355:

i5 4670K
Gigabyte Z87 HD3
8GB Kingston HyperX Red
Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 550W

Couple of questions....Is the above good enough? And is the RAM at 1.65v OK?

Don't get 1.65V. Runs hot and 1.35/1.5 stuff is better.

all this resolution talk on gaf makes me want to upgrade my pc instead of getting next gen...

but money... woes of contract worker.

think ill work through the holidays and upgrade my pc.

maneil99

As title says, has only happened twice now in BF4. Game will be fine, all of a sudden red boxes like a checkerboard will come up and within a few seconds my PC will hardlock.

I got this in BF3 aswell after a Nvidia driver update. Any idea what it is, what are the chances Dice fixes it on their side vs Nvidia on their driver side? I have had my 780 for about 4 months ( 96 days)

Bump. Artifacts normally are because of memory right? If so how much FPS will I lose downclocking my Memory by 20mhz?

Not necessarily the right place to post this, but I'm having doubts about the PS4 purchase and I'm thinking of turning it into a PC build. Grrrr I don't have a monitor or anything though so it would be a big upfront investment. I'd drop at least $900 on the rig itself, so it would be over $1k total... Decisions, decisions.

Bigger upfront investment but with Steam and Green Man Gaming and all the other digital download sales, you more than make up for it in the cost of games.

THE:MILKMAN

Ty4on

Hey folks!

I am looking at potential upgrades for my rather old HD4850 videocard, which got its job done, albeit not too spectacularly with every new release that I played.

My question is simple: which would you prefer from these candidates:
-Ati HD7750 1gb gddr5
-Ati HD7770 1gb gddr5
-Nvidia GTX650 2gb gddr5

Now, I am no power gamer, and my cpu will be (in a few months, hopefully) an FX-6300. Currently using a Phenom II 550 @ 3.0ghz.

The games I am looking to play with the cards:
- Diablo III
- Path of Exile
- StarCraft II and its upcoming expansion
- World of Warcraft's newest expansion
....and maybe Grim Dawn and some DOTA2/LOL/Heroes of the Whatever.

I am just about to get an 1680*1050 monitor (used, cheap, yo :D), so that is the target resolution. I am currently leaning towards the HD7750 or the GTX, the 7770 seems to be a bit of an overkill for my purposes. Any recommendations as to which one to choose? Also, I wonder whether that 2gb gddr5 on the gtx will ever be used when I am playing sub-1080p.

Unless there are huge price differences the 7770 is better value. The extra RAM in the 650 will only be useful when you're running at settings where the framerate would otherwise be like 20.
The GTX 650 barely beats the 4870 (anandtech benches) so performance won't be much better with it.

metzger203

I built this machine earlier in the year (thanks in part to this thread), but am now looking at some possible upgrades in the near future.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
i5 3570k 3.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 650 1GB
WD Black 1TB HDD
Corsair CX600 PSU

I'm going to have about $450 to spend. I'm thinking a 3/4GB GPU and an SSD, maybe 120GB. Mainly looking to play BF4 (at 1600x900). Any specific recommendations?

Smash88

Banned
I built this machine earlier in the year (thanks in part to this thread), but am now looking at some possible upgrades in the near future.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
i5 3570k 3.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 650 1GB
WD Black 1TB HDD
Corsair CX600 PSU

I'm going to have about $450 to spend. I'm thinking a 3/4GB GPU and an SSD, maybe 120GB. Mainly looking to play BF4 (at 1600x900). Any specific recommendations?

Since your resolution is low, a GTX 770 or R280X would be suitable to run pretty much any game maxed out easily. As for SSD, I'm sure someone else can offer a better choice compared to what I could offer.

kennah

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
i5 3570k 3.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 650 1GB
WD Black 1TB HDD
Corsair CX600 PSU

That's exactly what you should do. If you can wait on the SSD, get an AMD 290 (not the X version), best value going right now.

(then buy an SSD with the $100 you get from selling your 650)

ss_lemonade

I almost bought an Asus VG248QE at Fry's for $280 last weekend but held off to check other outlets and noticed that newegg has them for 269.99 + 30 off with a promo code. Is this the best price I can get this for, or should I wait and look out for other deals?

GAF, I plan on upgrading to Windows 8.1 from 7 later tonight. I have questions (some of which I have already asked but am asking again)

1) Can I upgrade directly from Win7 and keep all my stuff installed and whatnot? If not what can I do?

2) I do not have anything to backup to at the moment, so any ideas?

3) I have a 120GB SSD and 2TB HDD. I have important programs and files on both. What will happen when I upgrade? The old upgrade tool a few months ago said that some of my games were incompatible, in addition to the Steelseries software I have.

4) Any deals?

5) Anymore info that I could use?

Thanks!

EDIT: Seems that I have to upgrade to standard 8 and then 8.1

Boken

Banned
Just got an EVGA GTX780 like an hour ago.

I have to say...there's...well...almost no reason to go for the R9 290 or 290X. Its really true that the GTX780 is really conservatively clocked. Not just that, upping the voltage in EVGA Precision doesn't really change temperatures at all. The card loads at around 60-65 degrees in and I currently have it running at 1240mhz stable.

I'm honestly really pleased with the card. Its like the first GPU I've ever owned that is not only cool and quiet but also overclocks like a beast. And yeah, having owned AMD cards for a last few generations, NV's drivers really are better in terms of features.

So I'm looking to build my PC now. Does it matter what motherboard I get?

For example this; http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23594

or this :http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1491&products_id=23721

Is it worth forking out more or should the first be fine?

Not a huge fan of those MSI boards when there are Gigabyte Z87X boards at the same price range. Gigabyte boards at that price range have rock solid components, normally have one or two PCI slots for legacy devices, and they all have Intel NICs which are perfectly fine.

If you can decent audio, get a sound card. I don't think I've heard anything Realtek that sounds as good as even the low end $30 Asus Xonars.

Besides that, I don't think there are any really terrible Z87 boards on the market. I have an irrational distrust of Asrock due to how cheap they are and reports of some pretty dodgy Z77 boards but most will be able to accept pretty standard overclocks no problem.

Tau

Guy's just installed a Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler and I'm getting a "CPU error" on boot up. I monitored the temp of the CPU and is around 24c but the fans RPM is around 570rpm and shows in red.

What is the standard RPM for the hyper 212 evo when idle? Do I need to update my BIOS?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I never use SLI.

This is the rest of the PC I'm getting minus the motherboard for reference.
8MxGPqo.jpg
das gud
Guy's just installed a Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler and I'm getting a "CPU error" on boot up. I monitored the temp of the CPU and is around 24c but the fans RPM is around 570rpm and shows in red.

What is the standard RPM for the hyper 212 evo when idle? Do I need to update my BIOS?
You can set the minimum fan speed a bit higher. Also make sure it's on the CPU_FAN header.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I almost bought an Asus VG248QE at Fry's for $280 last weekend but held off to check other outlets and noticed that newegg has them for 269.99 + 30 off with a promo code. Is this the best price I can get this for, or should I wait and look out for other deals?

It's pretty damn I bought mine just for slightly more but with the dematting jacked to about near 400$. Worth every penny if you think it's your best bet.

Ragus

Banned
I will be replacing a singe 8gb 1,5v ram stick with 2x4gb 1,65v sticks.

Will I have to do something special to make it work. or is it simply a matter of replacing those stick and I'm free to go?

Oh, and on my MOBO I have blue, black, blue, black slots. Should I put them in 2 blue slots?

I will be replacing a singe 8gb 1,5v ram stick with 2x4gb 1,65v sticks.

Will I have to do something special to make it work. or is it simply a matter of replacing those stick and I'm free to go?

Oh, and on my MOBO I have blue, black, blue, black slots. Should I put them in 2 blue slots?

Yeah, you should not need to change anything and you can put the RAM sticks in the two blue slots.

I'm overclocking the system I just built. I'm aiming for a relatively modest OC of 4.4GHz on an i7 3770K since I won't have constant access to it once I hand it off to my friend. I started Prime95 last night and at 1.25V it's been running for 11 hours.

kennah

I'm overclocking the system I just built. I'm aiming for a relatively modest OC of 4.4GHz on an i7 3770K since I won't have constant access to it once I hand it off to my friend. I started Prime95 last night and at 1.25V it's been running for 11 hours.
That's a decent clock/increase

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Question about GPUs and power supply reqs:

Some of the new cards (e.g., 780Ti) exceed my power supply. If I wait several months will I be able to get a card with equal horsepower but lower power consumption? Or does power consumption generally scale with performance? Will we see improvements in power efficiency within the same (or comparable) cards, or will I have to wait for a 20nm process? Am I talking nonsense?

(I have a SeaSonic M12II Bronze 520W.)

That's a decent clock/increase

From what I've been seeing searching around the web, it seems like a good sweet spot to aim for that should be relatively easy to achieve and also be a big enough increase to be worthwhile. The last CPU I overclocked was a Nehalem i7 that wasn't too awful difficult but Ivy Bridge is so much easier. Dealing with the multiplier instead of the BCLK just makes life simpler.

kennah

Question about GPUs and power supply reqs:

Some of the new cards (e.g., 780Ti) exceed my power supply. If I wait several months will I be able to get a card with equal horsepower but lower power consumption? Or does power consumption generally scale with performance? Will we see improvements in power efficiency within the same (or comparable) cards, or will I have to wait for a 20nm process? Am I talking nonsense?

(I have a SeaSonic M12II Bronze 520W.)

Power supply reqs are way overblown because of shitty psus that don't report properly/amd cpus using more power than intel/ a safety net.

Depending on what your cpu is and its clock, that seasonic is more than enough to power a 780

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom