• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up the Hyper 212 EVO on sale this weekend which I'm planning on installing later this month.

Quick question on Thermal Paste. I believe it comes with a tube of paste, would you guys recommend using that or should I get the Artic Silver 5?

Also Hazaro just a heads up that the Thermal Paste application link in your second post is busted.

Addnan

Picked up the Hyper 212 EVO on sale this weekend which I'm planning on installing later this month.

Quick question on Thermal Paste. I believe it comes with a tube of paste, would you guys recommend using that or should I get the Artic Silver 5?

Also Hazaro just a heads up that the Thermal Paste application link in your second post is busted.
The one they give is good.

Dawg

Just ordered this shizzle:

s00nxzscg.png

Will arrive tomorrow.

Thorgal

Gaf i have a problem

i keep getting BSODs regularly whenever i pull my PC out of Standbye mode and then reboots itself and everything works again.

Any idea what might be causing this ?

There's a bug that can cause this with SSDs I think (Either them or a low power BIOS option), I forget exactly what this is as it was a while ago.

Well i don’t have an SSD in my PC so thay cannot be it.

The weird part is how irregular it happens.

Had a BSOD then 2 days it ran fine and Then it happens again.

If it did BSOD every single time ,it would be easy to surmise something is broken but it works fine 6a7 out of 10 times.

Anyone ?

Oh and with standby i do mean not switched off but more like in sleep mode .
Don't know the official term you would use lol.

Addnan

misterF

Neo Member
It doesn't have a boost feature, does it? I'm not sure if the 7850 does. I had to disable boost and manually clock my 7870XT as the clock rate fluctuated in games causing them to crash.

Also, what is the make/model of your PSU? Far more important than just it's wattage..

Edit - Just noticed...nice name :D

Hehe, thanks for the nickname, I return the compliment. I just checked and my PSU is a Corsair 700GS so actually 700w, is that an issue? The card is overclocked according to the Gigabyte page (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4155) with a 500w requirement. Are there any tools to calculate if the PSU is sufficient?

I have the exact same problem, although mine is a GTX295. Sadly, the only way I have found around it (and I've tried everything, including replacing with the PSU) and the only thing that works is underclocking it.

The annoying thing is that everything works up until the in-game engine kicks in (no problems on menu screens / intro videos) but after that it'll pretty much instantly go to a black screen.

It worries me that your problem persisted after changing the PSU. Luckily in my case the games actually run, it's just annoying because the crashes occur randomly.

Anyone know of a good place to grab cheaper DDR2 ram? I don't plan on doing a bunch of "high-end" gaming on my PC but I'd like to bump up my ram to 8 gigs from the 4 I have now just incase.

I assume I'll have to roll with used RAM to get it at a decent price. Anything I should look out for when buying used or is it too much of a pain and I should just bite the $100 bullet and grab a new set?

DMczaf

I'm really close to jumping on this 780 (upgrading from an EVGA 1GB 560 Ti)

EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918

Can my current PSU handle it?

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

I've had this one for a couple of years. It seems like I meet the specs. 780 has min. 600W and 42A 12V specs. My PSU is 650W with 53A on my 12V rails.

Just making sure I'm not just barely scrapping by.

Addnan

I'm really close to jumping on this 780 (upgrading from an EVGA 1GB 560 Ti)

EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918

Can my current PSU handle it?

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

I've had this one for a couple of years. It seems like I meet the specs. 780 has min. 600W and 42A 12V specs. My PSU is 650W with 53A on my 12V rails.

Just making sure I'm not just barely scrapping by.
It will run it fine.

JustinBB7

Is the difference between 60hz (or 75hz) and 120hz a big deal? I asked somebody about monitor advice and he told me I should get at least 120hz with my new computer. I checked prices and the cheapest one is 275 euros. I was personally thinking about only spending about 150 euros..

Is it that big a deal?

Addnan

Is the difference between 60hz (or 75hz) and 120hz a big deal? I asked somebody about monitor advice and he told me I should get at least 120hz with my new computer. I checked prices and the cheapest one is 275 euros. I was personally thinking about only spending about 150 euros..

Is it that big a deal?

If you have never tried it not really. 120hz is amazing and once you try it and experience the smoothness you can't really go back. If you want image quality then that is not what you want, you need and IPS panel. 120/144hz are all TN.

How/where do I check if my RAM and heatsink fit will together?

Maybe one of you knows, will these fit?
-Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
-G.Skill Ripjaw X F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB, DDR3-1866)

JustinBB7

If you have never tried it not really. 120hz is amazing and once you try it and experience the smoothness you can't really go back. If you want image quality then that is not what you want, you need and IPS panel. 120/144hz are all TN.

Yea I never saw it before, at least not that I know off. I'm pretty sure I'll get the Asus VS247H-P now which is 75hz. So at least a minor step up from 60hz.

I'm on a tiny backup monitor now, just wanna play games!

Is it that big a deal?

There is a big difference, and really would love to try it myself. But they are more expensive, 150 euros gets you a very budget monitor.

zoku88

I think Eizo announced a VA monitor that is 120Hz. Not sure about the image quality, though.

I'm looking into guides on how to build a PC (the actual assembly part), but the ones recommended in the OP or on www.logicalincrements.com are all from 2012 or earlier, and use components that are older than the ones I'm going to use.

How important is it that the guide is recent? And can anyone recommend me some good ones?

I'm currently watching/reading the Tested how to video (because Jeff Gerstmann is entertaining) and the Techreport guide.

kennah

I'm looking into guides on how to build a PC (the actual assembly part), but the ones recommended in the OP or on www.logicalincrements.com are all from 2012 or earlier, and use components that are older than the ones I'm going to use.

How important is it that the guide is recent? And can anyone recommend me some good ones?

I'm currently watching/reading the Tested guide (because Jeff Gerstmann is entertaining) and the Techreport guide.

The basic skill/act of putting a computer together hasn't really changed ... umm.. ever.

I guess you used to have to solder.

But no, a recent guide doesn't matter. I think you could even go back 4-5 years and still be safe with modern way of doing things (most components on motherboard, big video cards, etc)

Dawg

In Europe, 120hz is pretty "cheap" if you want quality. A good monitor is more than €200 anyway.

I have a feeling I managed to buy the XL2411T right before a price increase. It was €268 a while ago but many sites are selling it for more than €300 now.

Bought it for €278.

The basic skill/act of putting a computer together hasn't really changed ... umm.. ever.

I guess you used to have to solder.

But no, a recent guide doesn't matter. I think you could even go back 4-5 years and still be safe with modern way of doing things (most components on motherboard, big video cards, etc)

Good to know, thanks!

Exuro

Got a question. My roommates psu only has 1 cable with 2 6 pins for his video card. He's looking to get a new cpu/motherboard since he's still on a phenom 1 and he psu doesn't have an 8 pin for them. I have a molex to 6 pin as well as a 6 pin to 8 pin but the 6 pin only has 4 wired connected. I'd assume this is an issue but I'd like to be sure about it. If it is I assume a molex to 8 pin will do the trick? Thanks

Roland1979

So PC GAF, in a few days i'll finally order the parts. My question is will a 650W PU be enough (though it supposedly a very good one)?

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked ACX note: it say power draw 230W and requires a "system power reserve" of 600W!
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Further more a SSD and a HDD.

Will a Sea Sonic X-650 v2 be enough? What if i want to upgrade in the future? Isn't it safer to choose the X-750 or even the X-850?

So PC GAF, in a few days i'll finally order the parts. My question is will a 650W PU be enough (though it supposedly a very good one)?

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked ACX note: it say power draw 230W and requires a "system power reserve" of 600W!

Will a Sea Sonic X-650 v2 be enough? What if i want to upgrade in the future? Isn't it safer to choose the X-750 or even the X-850?
A good 650W unit is enough for any single-card setup. If you plan on doing SLI sometime in the future, consider moving up to 750W - but if the 770 doesn't cut it anymore in a few years, you'd be better off selling the card and getting a more powerful one anyway.
Though SLI has improved a lot, driver support can still be wonky at times and the increased system draw and heat generation is, at least IMHO, not worth it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I finally got my AMD Radeon game code thing and noticed that the game list has gotten smaller and smaller. Anyone know if they'll add more games soon, because the list is now just a bunch of games that are pretty ancient now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Super overkill don't sweat it. It's a placeholder from the past where a 650W could be a $40 eBay ENERGPOWERMAX with 65% efficiency, 35C rated caps, and a 350W design.

Roland1979

A good 650W unit is enough for any single-card setup. If you plan on doing SLI sometime in the future, consider moving up to 750W - but if the 770 doesn't cut it anymore in a few years, you'd be better off selling the card and getting a more powerful one anyway.
Though SLI has improved a lot, driver support can still be wonky at times and the increased system draw and heat generation is, at least IMHO, not worth it.

Super overkill don't sweat it. It's a placeholder from the past where a 650W could be a $40 eBay ENERGPOWERMAX with 65% efficiency, 35C rated caps, and a 350W design.

Alright thanks guys. I don't plan on going the dual GPU route. This keeps my spending well within budget range. I remember someone writing that in the future components require less power, but then some monstrous GPU's got released.

ekim

I don't really know how to describe this in english but one of the fans in my PC (I suspect the CPU) makes cyclic fan noises. It's going to a more high-frequent sound once every second or so when under load. Sometimes it's keeping constant but mostly it's the weird thing I tried to describe. Could it be that I always hit the temperature threshold where the fan speed increases and this increase puts it under the threshold again (rinse and repeat) ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I don't really know how to describe this in english but one of the fans in my PC (I suspect the CPU) makes cyclic fan noises. It's going to a more high-frequent sound once every second or so when under load. Sometimes it's keeping constant but mostly it's the weird thing I tried to describe. Could it be that I always hit the temperature threshold where the fan speed increases and this increase puts it under the threshold again (rinse and repeat) ?
Correct!
I step my fan speeds because of this.

Example: Love my WindForce.
PBSbrc3.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How can I do this for the CPU? In the BIOS?
I'm not sure what BIOS / Software you have.

For CPU usually a smooth curve is fine from my experiences, if you are having noise issues I'd lock in fan speed at 50-60% which is usually very quiet. You should be able to set that or RPM in BIOS.

velociraptor

Something stupid happened to me - when I was installing my SSD, my GPU gave a high pitched whine. Power cables weren't connected. I also think this loosened one of my fan cables. Because I was impatient, I accidentally did this while the PC was on...

I got a small cut on my hand - I immediately withdrew my hand. It barely touched TBH. Do you think the fan blades are damaged? Blood only appeared on my hand about 10 seconds after the cut, so I assume there is no blood in the case.... my PC parts are fine, right?

Newline

Quick question on RAM.

I currently have Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V

I have found a cheap stick of 4GB ram to bump my system up to a bareable 8GB:
4GB stick amazon

Can I use 2x2GB in one channel with 1x4 GB in another channel? Will these be compatible?

kharma45

So it seems the 290 is a pretty good buy when the non-reference ones come along

Tech Report

Remember how I said up front that my task was simple this time around? Here's why. The R9 290 is just ever so slightly slower than the R9 290X and essentially matches the GeForce GTX 780. Yet it costs $150 less than the 290X and a hundred bucks less than the GTX 780. This card's value proposition is outstanding. AMD clearly wants to win in this product category, and they've practically sacrificed the viability of the R9 290X in order to do so. The R9 290 is virtually the same thing as the 290X at a handsome discount—and it's a way better value than the GeForce GTX 780, too.

TPU

Not convinced right now if the card is worth it? Then you'll be sold after hearing the price. AMD is selling their R9 290 reference design for just $399, a cool $150 cheaper than the R9 290X and just a little bit slower. NVIDIA's GTX 780, which has seen a price drop down to $500 last week suddenly looks really expensive, but it does run cooler and quieter; not sure if that's worth the extra $100. Right now, the R9 290 has the best price/performance ratio in the segment, and just like with the R9 290X, its price helps me overlook its shortcomings in regards to power, heat, and noise. The card is really noisy, though, making this a really tough decision indeed. I have very high hopes for cards with custom coolers that reduce noise levels considerably. We'll hopefully see these cards in time for xmas business.

PCPer

AMD has definitely gone on the warpath with the Radeon R9 290 4GB graphics card. Seemingly going straight for the juggular of NVIDIA, the R9 290 is able to perform better than a GeForce GTX 780 for $100 less (which seems like deja vu from last month) while at the same time willing to undercut its own flagship to nearly make it irrelevant to anyone other than those that have the temerity to demand ONLY the best at any cost.

It's not a perfect card as there are still the issues we saw with the R9 290X present here including fan noise, uncomfortably high temperature GPUs and even variable clock rates that can make estimating performance more difficult. In fact, the R9 290 is louder than the R9 290X is by default, thanks to the move AMD made to increase fan speed to insure a performance victory over the GTX 780.

We are also seeing availability issues with Hawaii - finding any in stock has been a struggle for gamers even before the release of the R9 290. And I think the R9 290 will be significantly more desired than the 290X thanks to the pricing adjustment.

How will NVIDIA respond at this point? I think a price drop on the GTX 780 (again) is out of the question and the GTX 780 Ti is going after the ultra enthusiast at $699. NVIDIA does have the advantage of the three game bundle (Splinter Cell, Batman Arkham Origins and Assassin's Creed IV) along with the discount on SHIELD. Software like GeForce Experience with ShadowPlay is also a nice bundle, but will it be enough for gamers to justify the $100 price increase (and performance delta)? It's hard to see that happening.

Hexus
The AMD Radeon R9 290 follows in the footsteps of the range-topping 290X by providing a high-quality gaming experience at a palatable cost. And just as the second-rung performance card has historically offered an even better bang-for-buck, the R9 290, priced at $399, is substantially cheaper and almost as fast as AMD's premier graphics card, thanks mainly to AMD boosting frequencies to maximum peak speeds using the latest Catalyst driver.

Providing effortlessly smooth performance at a full-HD setting and more than capable at the enthusiast 2,560x1,440 resolution present on 27in monitors that we wholeheartedly recommend, the R9 290 has no performance peer at its current price point - it provides GeForce GTX 780-like muscle for less financial hurt.

This is a good graphics card that, outfitted with a 4GB framebuffer, should service your gaming needs for some time to come. But our praise does come with one major caveat: do be wary of the reference design, as it is loud and (deliberately) runs hot. We therefore wait to see what AMD's partners can do to turn the underlying promise into great retail cards.

Offering a fuller picture, AMD does not currently bundle the excellent Never Settle Forever gaming goodness with R9 290-series GPUs, while Nvidia is providing a trio of triple-A games with GeForce GTX 780 cards, thus helping to balance the pricing inequity that exists between the two.

Yet we come away from the review with a positive impression. Packed with the latest GCN goodness that is high on performance and value, the Radeon R9 290, in retail form, has the potential to become the next Radeon 9700 (R300).

bit-tech

As with the R9 290X's launch, it's hard to deny the R9 290's appeal in terms of pure bang for buck, as the card is priced directly between Nvidia's GTX 780 and GTX 770 but consistently produces frame rates closer to those of the more expensive card. The £80 price gap between the R9 290 and GTX 780 also leaves plenty of room for custom cards (due later this year) to slot into, some of which could prove attractive if they're able to tame the R9 290's heat output while giving the GTX 780 a run for its money, which factory overclocks could certainly achieve.

The £320 price point leaves the R9 290 4GB with a sector of the market pretty much to itself, as Nvidia's upcoming GTX 780 Ti will obviously supersede the GTX 780. The costliest GTX 770 variants do exceed £300, but really the R9 290 4GB is now the best bet for anyone with £300 or so to spend on a new GPU. That said, if you're sticking with a 1080p screen for the foreseeable future, the GTX 770's new price makes it a fantastic deal. Forking out extra for the GTX 780 could also be worth it if you're especially concerned about heat and noise output, as the Hawaii GPU again falls down in these areas. If that's too much to ask though, then for the reasons mentioned above it's certainly worth waiting to see what AMD's board partners have in store for us in a few months.

Anandtech

The problem is that while the 290 is a fantastic card and a fantastic story on a price/performance basis, in chasing that victory AMD has thrown caution into the wind and thrown out any kind of balance between performance and noise. At 57.2dB the 290 is a loud card. A very loud card. An unreasonably loud card. AMD has quite simply prioritized performance over noise, and these high noise levels are the price of doing so.

To get right to the point then, this is one of a handful of cards we’ve ever had to recommend against. The performance for the price is stunning, but we cannot in good faith recommend a card this loud when any other card is going to be significantly quieter. There comes a point where a video card is simply too loud for what it does, and with the 290 AMD has reached it.

Ultimately there will be scenarios where this is acceptable – namely, anything where you don’t have to hear the 290, such as putting it in another room or putting it under water – but on a grand scale those are few and far between. For most buyers who will simply purchase the card and drop it into their computers as-is, this represents an unreasonable level of noise.

As a result for most buyers the competitive landscape in the video card market will remain unchanged, even with today’s launch of the 290. With the reference 290 untenable as a purchase, this leaves the GTX 780 at $500, the 290X at $550, or the GTX 770 and 280X at the $300-$330 range, leaving a large hole in the market in the short term. In the long term it will be up to AMD’s partners to try to salvage the 290 with custom designs, enhanced coolers, and other modifications. The 290 still has quite a bit of potential both as a product and as a competitor in the larger video card marketplace, but that potential is wasted so long as it’s paired with AMD’s reference cooler and the need to run it so loudly.

On a final note, with the launch of the 290 and AMD’s promotional efforts we can’t help but feel that AMD is trying to play both sides of the performance/noise argument by shipping the card a high performance configuration, and using its adjustability to simultaneously justify its noise as something that can be mitigated. This is technically correct (ed: the best kind of correct), but it misses the point that most users are going to install a video card and use it as it's configured out of the box. To that end adjustability is a great feature and we’re happy to see such great efforts made to offer it, but adjustability cannot preclude shipping a more reasonable product in the first place.

Had the 290 shipped in its original 40% fan configuration, it wouldn’t be knocking on the GTX 780’s door any longer, but it would have been in a spot where its balance of price, performance, and noise would have made for an attractive product. Instead AMD has shipped the 290 with the equivalent of uber mode as the default, and in the process has failed to meet the needs of the majority of their customers.

Knch

Something stupid happened to me - when I was installing my SSD, my GPU gave a high pitched whine. Power cables weren't connected. I also think this loosened one of my fan cables. Because I was impatient, I accidentally did this while the PC was on...

I got a small cut on my hand - I immediately withdrew my hand. It barely touched TBH. Do you think the fan blades are damaged? Blood only appeared on my hand about 10 seconds after the cut, so I assume there is no blood in the case.... my PC parts are fine, right?

Turn off your PC and have a look? But the fan blades are probably more sturdy than your hand, so I wouldn't worry.

Quick question on RAM.

I currently have Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V

I have found a cheap stick of 4GB ram to bump my system up to a bareable 8GB:
4GB stick amazon

Can I use 2x2GB in one channel with 1x4 GB in another channel? Will these be compatible?

No, you need to have matching sticks in both channels for dual channel to work. You can run it in single channel mode just fine though.

kharma45

Basically it's too fucking loud right now. How can they not allow third party coolers yet. Just seems bizarre.

It's a very strange move not to allow OEMs to bolt on their own coolers. They're going to sell very few I would imagine as everyone interested will be waiting off to get a card that doesn't sound like a jet.

Newline

No, you need to have matching sticks in both channels for dual channel to work. You can run it in single channel mode just fine though.

But if I have the same ram in the same channel (2x2gb) and a single ram in another channel (1x4gb) will it work?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm considering a 3TB/4TB for Steam/Gaming use as my current 1TB drive for this purpose is nearly maxed out and future games are looking like they're going to be quite hefty in size.

What are the recommended 4TB drives for gaming purposes? So far I've read reviews of WD Black and the Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000. What others would GAF recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom