• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Is there a reason the OP recommends Samsung SSDs over OCZ/Crucial?

Reliability mainly. Crucial stuff is ok, I'd avoid OCZ.

In my books the brands to buy are Intel, Samsung, Kingston and Crucual. Sandisk as a decent one too but I can't remember the name of it.

So I've been going over pros and cons of the 780ti vs 290x. Feel free to add any. 4k gaming is not for me for another 2-3 years, so I didn't add 4k as pro to the 290x. I will only buy the 290x or 780ti with custom coolers, no stock reference coolers.

290x

Pros:
4GB of Vram
$150 cheaper than 780ti
Mantle
True Audio
BF4

Cons:
Higher temperatures than Nvidia
Higher energy consumption than Nvidia
Mantle is still new and not supported by that many games at this point.
AMD's drivers are still not quite up to par with Nvidia's when you add in the Geforce Experience, Shadowplay etc.

780ti
Pros:
Faster than Titan at video games
still runs cooler and uses less power than the 290x
Holiday game bundle
Nvidia Drivers and Gsync support in the near future

Cons:
starts at $700, or $150 more than 290x.
runs warmer and uses more power than 780
3GB of Vram vs the 4GB that 290x has.

NoRéN

Reliability mainly. Crucial stuff is ok, I'd avoid OCZ.

In my books the brands to buy are Intel, Samsung, Kingston and Crucual. Sandisk as a decent one too but I can't remember the name of it.

Sandisk Extreme. I've used one of those, Crucial m4, and Kingston. None have given me any problems so I can recommend those.

kennah

NoRéN;89844404 said:
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-550 550W

Anyone have any experience with this brand of power supply? Worth getting instead of the BP 550?

The 25% off is tempting me.

kharma recommends these a lot. I hear they're great for the money.

Any impressions of the Prodigy M?

I have a Prodigy and really like it, would love to hear something about the M.

It's about what you'd expect. I think space is a little bit more cramped than in the Prodigy.

DarkFlow

Banned
There is the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 but I'd advise going Intel if you can.

I woudn't put a nice GPU like that anywhere near that PSU. It could likely do it but I wouldn't chance it.

You should check if you're PSU have the necessary PCIE Power Plug for the version of the 770 you'll buy ( i think it's 8+6)

Total system Power Draw with this setup

Processor: Intel 2600K @ stock
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Passive
SSD: Corsair Performance Pro 256GB
Power Supply: Seasonic X-Series Gold 800W

Is 396W with a 770, so add 25% it's about 500W so you'll be tapping you're PSU pretty hard with it..
Alright, I'll just get a new PSU then. Any recommended?

kharma45

Yeah the Hive units are solid, especially at that price. The 650w is $46 atm. It does say on the box that it used Japanese capacitors but it's actually Teapo ones inside. Even with that it's a good solid unit.

NoRéN;89839118 said:
Sandisk Extreme. I've used one of those, Crucial m4, and Kingston. None have given me any problems so I can recommend those.

That's the one.

Alright, I'll just get a new PSU then. Any recommended?

Depends on what you can spend.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yeah the Hive units are solid, especially at that price. The 650w is $46 atm. It does say on the box that it used Japanese capacitors but it's actually Teapo ones inside. Even with that it's a good solid unit.

That's the one.

Depends on what you can spend.
Well I'm planing on getting a new ivy bridge i5, already have a motherboard that supports it also. Let's say anything less then $100 will be fine, but I will spend more if needed.

kharma45

Well I'm planing on getting a new ivy bridge i5, already have a motherboard that supports it also. Let's say anything less then $100 will be fine.

For ~$46 (need to use the discount code that the 550w with the rebate) this Rosewill 650w is a good buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

$79 gets you this 550w Platinum certified Rosewill http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

$85 there is Gold rated Seasonic G550 and the Rosewill Capstone http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Last option is this Corsair HX 750 at $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

All are semi modular and they're all good. I've probably give you too much choice. The first Rosewill and the Platinum one are probably the two I'd give most attention to, or if you want a multi GPU set up then look to the Corsair.

DarkFlow

Banned
For ~$46 (need to use the discount code that the 550w with the rebate) this Rosewill 650w is a good buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

$79 gets you this 550w Platinum certified Rosewill http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

$85 there is Gold rated Seasonic G550 and the Rosewill Capstone http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Last option is this Corsair HX 750 at $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

All are semi modular and they're all good. I've probably give you too much choice. The first Rosewill and the Platinum one are probably the two I'd give most attention to, or if you want a multi GPU set up then look to the Corsair.
Thanks! I'll likely just get the corsair hx. I like the option of SLI in the future.

Jordan

So, finished building computer last night. Quite happy with it.

319ivYdh.jpg

Love this photograph. More photos on: http://imgur.com/a/Zyg4y

Wasn't enough length on the 8 pin cable into Mobo.

Specs are:
MSI Z87-G45
Avexir 2x4GB
MSI GTX 770 2GB
Seasonic 550W
Samsung Evo 840 - 120GB
Corsair 600T

D3athPr00f

Neo Member
Hi!

I'd really like to build a kind of "retrogaming machine". I thought Ouya or an Android stick could be ok, but they suck with dolphin emulator and other stuff of that level.
I need your help for something very very cheap (< = 300-350 €) based on amd A10-6800k (accordind to dolphin fourm that's enough for everything) and mini itx if possible.

Thanks!

kharma45

Hi!

I'd really like to build a kind of "retrogaming machine". I thought Ouya or an Android stick could be ok, but they suck with dolphin emulator and other stuff of that level.
I need your help for something very very cheap (< = 300-350 €) based on amd A10-6800k (accordind to dolphin fourm that's enough for everything) and mini itx if possible.

Thanks!

Wait for Kaveri if you want an APU, it's due very early next year.

Naito

Howdy GAF, I'm back to kindly ask your feedback for a rendering (Cinema 4D) machine.

Do you think this build could work?
It's already past the limit of the budget (~1'500$) so I'll gladly accept any suggestion to make it less expensive.
I'd prefer to keep the 3930k as CPU, that would be the only preference.

Professor

Neo Member
Ok so I have a question. Can I put a i5-4670k on a ASUS P8z68-V PRO/GEN 3? MY friend is troubleshooting a build and I just wanted to make sure I could put his CPU which we think might be the problem in my build? Or should I use my CPU in his build?

kharma45

Ok so I have a question. Can I put a i5-4670k on a ASUS P8z68-V PRO/GEN 3? MY friend is troubleshooting a build and I just wanted to make sure I could put his CPU which we think might be the problem in my build? Or should I use my CPU in his build?

No. The latest i5 you can pair with it is a 3570K and it will require a BIOS update to do so.

kennah

Howdy GAF, I'm back to kindly ask your feedback for a rendering (Cinema 4D) machine.

Do you think this build could work?
It's already past the limit of the budget (~1'500$) so I'll gladly accept any suggestion to make it less expensive.
I'd prefer to keep the 3930k as CPU, that would be the only preference.

Hmm... not seeing much trimming room personally. Try and find some of the parts used if you can? Cheaper cooler maybe? The problem is anything you trim on now, you're just going to end up replacing anyway

Naito

Hmm... not seeing much trimming room personally. Try and find some of the parts used if you can? Cheaper cooler maybe? The problem is anything you trim on now, you're just going to end up replacing anyway

Perhaps the only way would be to get a cheaper case or gpu.. :(

Naito

Another question: which of these two sets of RAM would you suggest to get?

&#8211; Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3-1600 16GB (2x8GB) CL10 Intel XMP
&#8211; G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 16GB (2x8GB) CL9

and thank you ofc!

ACE 1991

I know this isn't exactly the thread to ask this question, but you guys helped me figure out how to clean install Windows 7 with an upgrade version before. Basically I want to reinstall windows 7 on my PC. I've backed up all the files I want to transfer over to the fresh install, plus I used magical jelly bean keyfinder to get my Windows 7 product key. However, the Windows 7 reinstall option under advanced recovery options says that I need a disc to reinstall the OS. I bought a digital upgrade version of 7 so I don't know how to about reinstalling.

Anyone use usb extensions? Need one for my new keyboard but im afraid they might induce some lag?

Might not be the best place to ask but I really didn't want to make a thread about it.

t-ramp

Anyone use usb extensions? Need one for my new keyboard but im afraid they might induce some lag?

Might not be the best place to ask but I really didn't want to make a thread about it.
Won't be a problem:

Wikipedia said:
The speed at which energy or signals travel down a cable is actually the speed of the electromagnetic wave, not the movement of electrons. Electromagnetic wave propagation is fast and depends on the dielectric constant of the material. In a vacuum the wave travels at the speed of light and almost that fast in air. Propagation speed is affected by insulation, so that in an unshielded copper conductor ranges 95 to 97% that of the speed of light, while in a typical coaxial cable it is about 66% of the speed of light.

You're basically just lengthening the cable, so it's not going to make any practical difference.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I don't know why but I can't get hyped for the Playstation 4.
Because there's a lack of titles and it's delivering something PC has had for years and more. Resogun is fun, indie focus (games and publishing) is fantastic, but vast majority of titles aren't there yet. XBO is XBO.
Still, coming from 20FPS late-gen to this is a fantastic and overdue leap. Imagine if you were coming from a early X2 or Core2Duo to something now.

Some of the posts are just ridiculous in certain threads though.

Burger

I have a question,

I want to move my MATX PC into the lounge, but it needs to fit in my tv stand thing, so I only have about 116mm of height available.

Are their any HTPC style cases out there where I could use a PCIE riser card or similar to fit my full size GPU in without compromising it too much?

Cheers!

TheBear

hey guys i ended up buying a 7970, and whilst I got a decent boost I am nowhere near 60fps on high settings. I did a graph thing while running BF4, can anyone explain what's going on here?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfnqv63p5q...Win32-0001.png

Is the CPU (Phenom 955) not keeping up with the GPU? What do you guys recommend, a new CPU & ram? Can I get away with keeping my motherboard? Current is Gigabyte MA790Gp

Does anyone know why 30fps on PC games looks so choppy? The pre-rendered cutscenes in Max Payne 3 run terribly compared to the console version, and whenever it locks to 30fps (which seems to have stopped happening since I disabled MSAA and switched to FXAA), it feels like a sub-30fps console game.

And expanding on the point about AA, is the framerate in that game bugged? Because with MSAA on, even with quite a lot of video memory still available, it'll still randomly drop to 30fps and lock there, sometimes switching back to 60 if I change the resolution back and forth or something.

kennah

I have a question,

I want to move my MATX PC into the lounge, but it needs to fit in my tv stand thing, so I only have about 116mm of height available.

Are their any HTPC style cases out there where I could use a PCIE riser card or similar to fit my full size GPU in without compromising it too much?

Cheers!
Not much in matx. Nothing I can even think of right now. Most cases like that use miniITX

Irobot82

Yes I have a thermaltake 2.0 performer. I love it. Easier to install than a heatsink, works as good as if not better than a heatsink and when not under load, temps instantly drop back down to ambient. I'm also in the process of buying another to do a mod on my GPU to watercool it with an AIO.

I also highly recommend where ever you put the radiator you put it in a place that it is sucking IN cold air and not warmers case air.
hey guys i ended up buying a 7970, and whilst I got a decent boost I am nowhere near 60fps on high settings. I did a graph thing while running BF4, can anyone explain what's going on here?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfnqv63p5q...Win32-0001.png

Is the CPU (Phenom 955) not keeping up with the GPU? What do you guys recommend, a new CPU & ram? Can I get away with keeping my motherboard? Current is Gigabyte MA790Gp

Your bottleneck is your CPU, even an I5-4570k pegs 100% load in multiplayer on that game. From what I've seen, you get more performance on an i7 b/c of hyperthreading. If you really really wants 60fps, you can lower your settings, or buy a new CPU/mobo.

If you're just gaming you don't need 16GB.

So your total budget was 1200 but since there is stuff already bought with no prices roughly how much do you have left?

one of my friends hit 6gb of ram while playing, so i dont mind have 16 gb and a GPU with 3gp ram to at least meet the lowest memory size standards for the next gen.

i bought the case for $215
PSU for $178
HDD for $169
also bought Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse for $60

bear in mind i've these parts -except the mouse- since FEB 2012, that's why the prices aren't that good

now i got some bucks, wanted to cover the old loss by buying something good and wont get rusty as long as possible

QaaQer

Hells yeah! If there were boards, or chips that supported it. Of which there are none yet. give is six months.

6 months is pretty optimistic. Intel doesn't have to compete hard in the performance desktop space, and AMD is, well, AMD. I think we'll see it really really quickly in tablets and phones, tho.

Anyone know with NewEgg (specifically the Canadian NewEgg) if the codes for Batman/AC4/Blacklist are emailed to you or otherwise given digitally or are they inserts in a box you get when the piece arrives?

Irobot82

6 months is pretty optimistic. Intel doesn't have to compete hard in the performance desktop space, and AMD is, well, AMD. I think we'll see it really really quickly in tablets and phones, tho.

I had heard rumors that some Kavari chips will support it and some FM2+ boards will support it. It's just rumors, but I'm staying optimistic.

nbthedude

So how exactly do memory compatibilities work?

I mean, I know you'd need a new motherboard slot type to support it, but could current processors use it on newly designed motherboards or does it always require new processors and new motherboards?

Irobot82

Nice. I really want a reason to upgrade my 2009 cpu/motherboard. I want Moore's law back.

I wouldn't look to a Kavari as a viable PC Gaming CPU. Unless that rumors 3 module (6- core) part actually exists. As far as I can tell the FX line is dead, there will be no steamroller FX chips for AM3+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom