• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sorry about lack of updates ya'll. Most everything will be the same and I'm just waiting on updates for aftermarket cooling on the 290/290X.
http://m.ebuyer.com/?action=viewlist&intListId=262779

Is this any good? Could anyone suggest another 2gpu build, but with an i5 for about the same price?
Sorry for the short post, working on a ferry at the moment, net connection is patchy as hell. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I'd go with a 7950 and the $800 USD build over xFire 7850's.

Seanspeed

Banned
IKEA
Speaking of Ikea, I bought my office chair from there. I was reluctant to shell out big bucks for a super nice, high end one somewhere, but I wanted something decent. I was shopping for bedroom stuff, but still strolled through the office area(because its Ikea and you check out everything while there). Sat in this bad boy:

0IpDadL.jpg

Markus office chair(not my picture)

And was sold. The reclined position is just godly comfortable. Highly recommend it to anyone who cant afford a high-end chair.

TheBear

Hey guys just picked up a gigabyte 7970 OC and upon installation it appears it's not getting any power. I previously had a 560ti which worked fine, but after installing the 7970 when I turn the computer on nothing happens. The CPU fan runs but the gfx card does nothing. I have the PCI-e 6+2 connectors in plus the other 6. I'm running a 500w seasonic psu which is apparently powerful enough.
Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys just picked up a gigabyte 7970 OC and upon installation it appears it's not getting any power. I previously had a 560ti which worked fine, but after installing the 7970 when I turn the computer on nothing happens. The CPU fan runs but the gfx card does nothing. I have the PCI-e 6+2 connectors in plus the other 6. I'm running a 500w seasonic psu which is apparently powerful enough.
Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Try turning your PC completely off and reseating the card and power connections. If that doesn't work try another PCI-E slot.
You should have enough power.

Morzak

Hm I'm just about to return my second Asus DCII GTX-780, first had stuttering from the start and stopped working soon, second one I received yesterday was running fine, until the card crashed and now there a Pink Pixels on the desktop and the card isn't active in Windows.... (retried different PCIE slot let the card sit over night, different Power connectors nothing). I'm really debating if I give Asus another shot or just go with a different card when they are available here.

TheBear

Try turning your PC completely off and reseating the card and power connections. If that doesn't work try another PCI-E slot.
You should have enough power.

I have reseated it, although it appears I only have one slot? Here's some photos of my setup, hopefully you can spot something

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tks64mmshlvsuzm/uug-ZIK6Zu

Is there any way I can test it isn't faulty? Someone in another forum mentioned updating the bios, but how do I do that if the computer doesn't run at all?

Morzak

I have reseated it, although it appears I only have one slot? Here's some photos of my setup, hopefully you can spot something

Is there any way I can test it isn't faulty? Someone in another forum mentioned updating the bios, but how do I do that if the computer doesn't run at all?

The Green slot below the GPU is another PCI-E Slot, you could test the card there.

For the Bios upgrade, If the CPU has an integrated GPU you could use that to start the PC and update Bios, else you would have to install the old GPU again to do the bios update.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Plug in the 8 pin power in the top left of the motherboard. That feeds the 75W the GPU gets from the PCI-E slot.

TheBear

Plug in the 8 pin power in the top left of the motherboard. That feeds the 75W the GPU gets from the PCI-E slot.

Excellent thanks hazaro, that'll learn me for not taking photos and notes of where plugs belong!

One last thing, I have a sound cable to plug in. One of the ports says ac97' and the other says HD audio. Which one do I use?

Newline

Speaking of Ikea, I bought my office chair from there. I was reluctant to shell out big bucks for a super nice, high end one somewhere, but I wanted something decent. I was shopping for bedroom stuff, but still strolled through the office area(because its Ikea and you check out everything while there). Sat in this bad boy:

0IpDadL.jpg

And was sold. The reclined position is just godly comfortable. Highly recommend it to anyone who cant afford a high-end chair.
I did the exact same thing, I would easily pay over £200 for a chair this comfy so when I saw the £125 pricetag I was sold.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I generally play at 1080p on a single monitor setup. Am I really going to see the benefits of the extra Vram? I enjoy me some AA, but I don't really want to pay $400+ for a GPU. Also not keen on switching to AMD, I'm already familiar with tweaking on Nvidia setups.

x1080 games can definitely go over 2GB VRAM, especially now with the new consoles launching. There's a 4GB on Newegg for $379.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125473, though you may be able to find something cheaper elsewhere.

0IpDadL.jpg

Yup, heard a lot of good things about that one. So also got one about a month ago. It is so much better than what I had before that.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
OK guys i am in UK my budget is £280 to £300 all i need is a new motherboard,CPU and ram, i have currently found these on novatech, there is other popular sites like over clockers or scan or ebuyer, and was wondering if someone could kindly help me find something like the combo below for better price or even an amd counterpart which is just as good. (i haven't really used amd hence why i built a Intel one)

these 3 products come to just under £280 and its free delivery.
Intel® Core™ i5 4440 £139.99 inc vat
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...gencorei3i5andi71150socket/bx80646i54440.html

GIGABYTE GA-H87M-D3H Intel H87 £74.99 inc vat
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...87chipset/microatxformfactor/ga-h87m-d3h.html

G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 1600MHz £62.99 inc vat
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/memory-pc/ddr3pc3-128001600mhz/f3-12800cl9d-8gbxl.html

Chanser

OK guys i am in UK my budget is £280 to £300 all i need is a new motherboard,CPU and ram, i have currently found these on novatech, there is other popular sites like over clockers or scan or ebuyer, and was wondering if someone could kindly help me find something like the combo below for better price or even an amd counterpart which is just as good. (i haven't really used amd hence why i built a Intel one)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...gencorei3i5andi71150socket/bx80646i54440.html

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...87chipset/microatxformfactor/ga-h87m-d3h.html

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/memory-pc/ddr3pc3-128001600mhz/f3-12800cl9d-8gbxl.html

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-4...0k---8gb-vengeance-pro-black--8Y8X.html?src=3
£50 more.

kharma45

That one doesn't have a button :(

edit: wait it had a super tiny button on the bottom. The adapter is in my basement though, so it's not that close to my room. They should both be blinking now though.

edit 2: didn't work. Two of the lights work, but the middle one (home network) still doesn't light up.

How did you get the original one to connect?

This is over at £334 but worth the extra outlay

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£105.44 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 8GB (2x 4GB) Ballistix Tactical Memory (£54.00)
Other: Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0) (£174.50)
Total: £333.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-13 12:33 GMT+0000)

Azusa

I'm thinking to upgrade my 3 years old PC to play ACIV. At the moment I have old GTS450 video card and it can't handle Tomb Rider on high settings. I managed to max out about 40 FPS without shadows and slightly less AA. So I want to buy a new gfx card and I'm looking at GTX650. I think it can handle modern games well.

Are these cards good enough? Should I get the overclocked one? Also I don't know if my PSU can handle the new card.

The next possible card is GF GTX660 and prices starting at €164. GF GTX760 is €210+ and I don't wanna to spend that much at the moment.

My specs: Core i3 2100 3.10 GHz, 8GB DDR3, MSI H61M-P21 (B3), PSU 500W.

kharma45

I'm thinking to upgrade my 3 years old PC to play ACIV. At the moment I have old GTS450 video card and it can't handle Tomb Rider on high settings. I managed to max out about 40 FPS without shadows and slightly less AA. So I want to buy a new gfx card and I'm looking at GTX650. I think it can handle modern games well.

Are these cards good enough? Should I get the overclocked one? Also I don't know if my PSU can handle the new card.

The next possible card is GF GTX660 and prices starting at €164. GF GTX760 is €210+ and I don't wanna to spend that much at the moment.

What site are you buying from?

650 Ti Boost is easily the better of those two cards.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

ACIV Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Windows Vista SP or Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q8400 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2GB for Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)
DirectX: DirectX June 2010 Redistributable
Disk Space: 30 Gb
Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers
Peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard and mouse required, optional controller

ACIV Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core i5 2400S @ 2.5 GHz or AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.0 GHz or better
RAM: 4GB or more
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (1024MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0) or better

This is how a GTX 650 and co. stack up at reference speeds:

lineup.png

Generally, an OC'd version a card matches the performance of the next GPU. E.g. OC'd 660 is as fast as a reference speed 670.

If you wanted to buy something, the 650 Ti Boost is the bare minimum in my opinion. It's a big jump over the 650 Ti, and if that model clocks well you'll get 660 or better performance. Also, if you look around, you should be able to find a retailer/etailer offering the Holiday Bundle, which will give you ACIV and Splinter Cell Blacklist for free with your GPU.

RE: Your PSU, you should be fine. Do note that your CPU is below recommended specs, though way above minimum. I don't have anything close to your intended config, so can't give you an idea of ACIV performance with that setup, unfortunately.

7970 is still a solid card. You'll eventually have to turn settings down but should last a few years.

At that point we'll be at 16/14nm so if you wait and hold out for Nvidia Volta or something with stacked DRAM on the GPU, you're good. Though you might feel the hurt from lack of unified memory that Maxwell is going to bring early or late next year, since you would be buying into a 2 year old architecture. Just a heads up :)

Thanks for the feedback. Ended up getting the card, just couldn't resist :)

This is how a GTX 650 and co. stack up at reference speeds:

lineup.pg

Generally, an OC'd version a card matches the performance of the next GPU. E.g. OC'd 660 is as fast as a reference speed 670.

If you wanted to buy something, the 650 Ti Boost is the bare minimum in my opinion. It's a big jump over the 650 Ti, and if that model clocks well you'll get 660 or better performance. Also, if you look around, you should be able to find a retailer/etailer offering the Holiday Bundle, which will give you ACIV and Splinter Cell Blacklist for free with your GPU.

RE: Your PSU, you should be fine. Do note that your CPU is below recommended specs, though way above minimum. I don't have anything close to your intended config, so can't give you an idea of ACIV performance with that setup, unfortunately.

So a 780 will give me 'double' the performance of my current 460, nice.

x1080 games can definitely go over 2GB VRAM, especially now with the new consoles launching. There's a 4GB on Newegg for $379.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125473, though you may be able to find something cheaper elsewhere.
Do you have any examples? These benchmarks seem to show negligible differences at 1080p between the 2GB and the 4GB.
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

Granted these are on current games and we don't really know what next-gen ports will have in store. I'm heading over to NCIX today anyways to pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and I'd really like to leave with a 770, maybe they'll approve my price match for the 4GB, even though it's not the exact same model. If not, I may impulsively grab the 2GB, I don't know. :/

kennah

Do you have any examples? These benchmarks seem to show negligible differences at 1080p between the 2GB and the 4GB.

Granted these are on current games and we don't really know what next-gen ports will have in store. I'm heading over to NCIX today anyways to pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and I'd really like to leave with a 770, maybe they'll approve my price match for the 4GB, even though it's not the exact same model. If not, I may impulsively grab the 2GB, I don't know. :/
Don't buy a 770 on a whim. They are only slightly faster than a 760 for $100 more. And since it is just a. 680 with a different sticker you're paying more for old tech.

for $1200, would i get something good?
i already have the case and HDD
i waited for Haswell but it was a let down compared to ivy, shall i wait for the next generation or take a step forward now ?

AndyBNV

Nvidia

The VRAM doesn't increase frame rates. With a 2GB card, if you max VRAM usage out, the game begins to stutter heavily as textures and what have you are swapped in and out. Depending on the game, it will feel unplayable or simply crash.

The biggest culprit is MSAA in deferred engines, which you'll likely have the performance to use on a card as good as the 770. You could also downsample.

Don't buy a 770 on a whim. They are only slightly faster than a 760 for $100 more. And since it is just a. 680 with a different sticker you're paying more for old tech.

760 is indeed the value king. 770 does get an extra game in our bundle, however: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...day-bundle-featuring-heroes-pirates-and-spies

kennah

i waited for Haswell but it was a let down compared to ivy, shall i wait for the next generation or take a step forward now ?
$1200 will build a solid machine. Do you need a monitor? What do you have now? There is no good or bad time to buy. If there is stuff you want to play now then great, but now. If there isn't then wait. It's all up to you.

kharma45

I'd jump in now. $1200 USD budget I'd look at this as your minimum

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($65.94 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $900.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-13 09:54 EST-0500)

Anyone care to recommend a good but cheap, preferrably mATX (so I can later move it to my HTPC when I re-upgrade) mainboard for AMD FX processors?

I'm waiting for the EVGA 780ti Classified, but if for some reason the non-reference cooler 290x get's released before, I could be tempted with BF4 thrown in.

Prodigal

Banned
So I've been eyeing some potential GPU upgrades but I'm not sure what my current PSU will be able to handle.

Right now I'm rocking this old beast, along with an i-2500k, 8 gigs ram and a 560ti GTX.

Would you guys have any recommendations for the best GPU I can get under $500 considering my PSU circumstances? I'll upgrade the PSU if I have to, but I'd rather not until absolutely necessary.

kennah

So I've been eyeing some potential GPU upgrades but I'm not sure what my current PSU will be able to handle.

Right now I'm rocking this old beast, along with an i-2500k, 8 gigs ram and a 560ti GTX.

Would you guys have any recommendations for the best GPU I can get under $500 considering my PSU circumstances? I'll upgrade the PSU if I have to, but I'd rather not until absolutely necessary.

It's not an amazing PSU but would probably run a 780.

GET A 780

Dawg

Another thing to check is the network name and password(if you did set one) each adapter has. I have 3 Trendnet Powerline Adapters connected and I had to manually change the network name using their configuration utility.

I just placed my adapter really close to the one at the TV, tried syncing again and it worked :)

Opiate

Is there a reason the Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard is not included in the keyboard discussion? It looks nice, so thought I'd ask.

Arsenic

Hey guys. I posted a problem in the TechSupportGAF thread, but I figured I'd post here as well since this thread is a bit more active and is primarily for PCs.

Hello TechGAF!

I recently did a fresh install of Windows on my desktop. After a week of reinstalling programs, reconfiguring and getting things back to normal, my PC suddenly won't boot windows at all. Just a flashing _ occurs and hangs forever.

Fine.

So load up the windows setup CD and I use the command prompt to do some repairs. I feel it is important to mention that the OS doesn't show up, so the repairs are done under "Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk".

Under command prompt I type the following commands with the following results:

Bootrec.exe/FixMbr - Success!
Bootrec.exe/FixBoot - Element not found.
Bootrec.exe/RebuildBcd - Um, things get weird.

The search finds the OS, but when I type 'Y' to add it to boot list, the "Element not found" result occurs. Why can't it be added to the bootlist?

I'm stuck at this point, and even worse, now when I try to boot up my PC as normal again, a different error shows.

Notes:

- Reinstalling the OS is my last option. I just did it last week, and if this problem occurs again I don;t want to keep reinstalling the OS. It's a waste of time and I'd like to be productive.

- Before this all happened, I got a blue screen of death detailing "Power_state_driver failure" or something in that sort. It dumped memory to disk and I had to press enter to restart. That was the last time I was booted into windows.

- I defragmented my HDDs just prior to all of this, leaving my computer on and connected for 24 hours+. My SDD which houses the OS was not touched, since that will damage the drive rather than help. I still feel I should mention this.

- I wanna pay my PC games :(

Johan Andersson, the Frostbite technical director, is doing a presentation at the AMD developer summit in like a half hour I think. Hopefully, we get some Mantle performance details from the presentation.

The 760 doesn't quite have the performance I want, the 780 is too pricey for me, and NCIX just approved my pricematch for this card to $379.99. For $25 more than the card I was going to get and not having to deal with a mail-in rebate, the 4GB model is lookin pretty good.

The VRAM doesn't increase frame rates. With a 2GB card, if you max VRAM usage out, the game begins to stutter heavily as textures and what have you are swapped in and out. Depending on the game, it will feel unplayable or simply crash.

The biggest culprit is MSAA in deferred engines, which you'll likely have the performance to use on a card as good as the 770. You could also downsample.
Good to know. What games currently available are giving 2GB cards trouble?

760 is indeed the value king. 770 does get an extra game in our bundle, however: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...day-bundle-featuring-heroes-pirates-and-spies
Which I fully intend to sell anyways to cover some of my costs since I already bought Arkham Origins last month. Do you know if the AC4+Splinter Cell code is a Uplay or Steam code?

Jzero

Any recommendations for 2.1 speakers? Dont really have room where my PC is for anything more

Same here dude. My desk is pretty small and i don't want to buy small shitty speakers so i just use the crappy integrated ones that my monitor has.

Is there a reason the Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard is not included in the keyboard discussion? It looks nice, so thought I'd ask.

I have it. It requires Microsoft's buggy ass software in order to use the macro keys. I never use them anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom