• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Has anyone ever had fuse problems with more than one desktop running in one room simultaneously? Has that kind of thing ever caused a fuse to flip?

I'd jump in now. $1200 USD budget I'd look at this as your minimum

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($65.94 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $900.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-13 09:54 EST-0500)

thank you
but i'll correct myself on some details...

i already have these parts:

monitor:
http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitors/lg-M237WA-PT

case:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/full-tower/haf-x.html

PSU:
http://www.corsair.com/professional-series-hx850-80-plus-silver-certified-modular-power-supply.html

HDD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136793

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992
also having WIN8 pro 64bit

as i said my budget wont go above $1200 including the parts i already purchased , i'm welcoming more saving options for less price IF POSSIBLE without sacrificing ling term performance ....

so, what other choices i have?

BTW, i'm interested in this RAM in particular , but didn't buy it yet:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

kharma45

If you're just gaming you don't need 16GB.

So your total budget was 1200 but since there is stuff already bought with no prices roughly how much do you have left?

So if I do end up going 290x with non-reference cooler, what are the top OEM's for AMD cards? I've heard that Sapphire is one of the better AMD manufacturers, no? I've had an Asus Nvidia card before, so I know about their coolers. What about XFX and Gigabyte Radeon cards?

mug

So if I do end up going 290x with non-reference cooler, what are the top OEM's for AMD cards? I've heard that Sapphire is one of the better AMD manufacturers, no? I've had an Asus Nvidia card before, so I know about their coolers. What about XFX and Gigabyte Radeon cards?
Sapphire is indeed good. The only ones I've heard to avoid are XFX - mixed reviews on HIS as well.

kharma45

XFX are shite, HIS can be hit and miss. The rest are all good.

BPoole

Current setup

CPU: i5 2500k@4.2Ghz
GPU: 2GB 6950 Crossfire (840/1325)
Motherboard: Asus P8P67
RAM: G. Skill 8GB 2133Mhz
PSU: Corsair TX750
Monitor: Yamakasi Catleap 2560x1440

Looking to upgrade to an R9 290 once some aftermarket cooling solutions in the coming month.

Question/Concerns:

My motherboard only supports PCIe 2.0, and the 290 is a 3.0 card, would this give me any sort of performance hit? Should I look into buying a new mobo as well?

Is the performance gain from 6950s to a 290 worth the price (opposed to waiting for 20nm cards)? I still get decent performance on most games, but the vram limitations have been killing me in higher end games such as Battlefield, Metro, TW2, etc.

Any other upgrade suggestions are appreciated

Rnr1224

so im finally building myself a gaming PC and im looking to go with this build. just wondering how it looks to everyone and any feedback is welcomed :) thanks in advance!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rnr1224/saved/2OkK

the parts arent the most high end but i tried to stay below $550 as im on a budget. i chose AMD because it seems like they have a better cost to performance ratio.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The 760 doesn't quite have the performance I want, the 780 is too pricey for me, and NCIX just approved my pricematch for this card to $379.99. For $25 more than the card I was going to get and not having to deal with a mail-in rebate, the 4GB model is lookin pretty good.

Good to know. What games currently available are giving 2GB cards trouble?
Playing BF4 on Ultra at 1080p, I'm seeing just over 2gb vram used.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is there a reason the Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard is not included in the keyboard discussion? It looks nice, so thought I'd ask.
I bought one, then sold it after a week because I didn't like the key feel (too shallow). Also I kept mistyping because of the macro keys.

Cyrix

Neo Member
Has anyone ever had fuse problems with more than one desktop running in one room simultaneously? Has that kind of thing ever caused a fuse to flip?

I've never had it happen, but conceivably it's possible, i don't know what the wiring is like where you live but I have never lived in a house where every room was on it's own breaker, so if there was already a significant load from other sources it's possible that a couple of desktops could be the the last straw.

But probably not. Just a few months ago I had some friends visiting from out of state and we had three gaming desktops in the same bedroom going full bore and had no issues.

Always a good idea to spread them out across multiple outlets too.

Spazo

need some help guys,

bought a gigabyte R9 280x. When I first installed it, Windows was recognizing the card as a R9 280x from gigabyte, witch is fine..

Now I have updated the drivers with new beta one and in GPU-Z it shows HD 7900 series.

I tried to do a clean uninstall and reinstall old drivers, same issue.

I don't have have any issue in games. Performance seem to be OK but is there a way for Windows / AMD drivers to recognize correctly my video card ? It drive me nuts. Spend more than an 1 hour trying to fix it

Thanks

kennah

need some help guys,

bought a gigabyte R9 280x. When I first installed it, Windows was recognizing the card as a R9 280x from gigabyte, witch is fine..

Now I have updated the drivers with new beta one and in GPU-Z it shows HD 7900 series.

I don't have have any issue in games. Performance seem to be OK but is there a way for Windows / AMD drivers to recognize correctly my video card ? It drive me nuts. Spend more than an 1 hour trying to fix it

Thanks
It is correctly recognizing it. (The 280x is a 7970 with a different sticker)

Dawg

I was playing WoW and the game was ghosting pretty bad everytime I'd move the camera with my M65.

Didn't understand why, the game was smooth when I moved the camera with my keyboard.

so then I installed the M65 drivers and the ghosting is gone. Movement is smoother as well now.

What the hell, I've never had a mouse before the caused graphical ghosting :p

M3z_

I'm seriously considering upgrading from 27" 1440p to 30" 1600p, not for the extra bits of resolution but cause 30 fucking inches.

kennah

OK but before I was able to see R9 280x in GPU-z and CCC

also I got Subvendor: Undefined (0000). Before it was showing correctly Gigabyte

Because you were using the customized drivers that shipped with the Gigabyte, and now you're using generic drivers from the chipset manufacturer. It's really nothing to worry about. Get ones from Gigabyte if it bothers you that much.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4793#dl

Spazo

Because you were using the customized drivers that shipped with the Gigabyte, and now you're using generic drivers from the chipset manufacturer. It's really nothing to worry about. Get ones from Gigabyte if it bothers you that much.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4793#dl

My first installed drivers was downloaded directly on AMD website.

I just tried to install the Gigabyte drivers and it doesnt even let me install it. It says I dont have the proper hardware...

Do you recommend a software that remove all trace of AMD driver ?

LordAlu

so im finally building myself a gaming PC and im looking to go with this build. just wondering how it looks to everyone and any feedback is welcomed :) thanks in advance!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rnr1224/saved/2OkK

the parts arent the most high end but i tried to stay below $550 as im on a budget. i chose AMD because it seems like they have a better cost to performance ratio.
If you can afford the full $550 you can get something much better :) How does this look to you?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $552.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-14 03:17 EST-0500)

(I know it's $3 more but it's worth it :D)

Garou

need some help guys,

Thanks

The R280X uses the same chip as the 7900-series, most likely GPU-Z is just out of date.
Use the latest Betadrivers from the AMD-site and be happy.

Seanspeed

Banned
Received and installed my Asus Xonar DGX sound card this morning.

£25 very well spent. I'll agree when people say that onboard sound is pretty decent, but man, this card makes a pretty big difference with a somewhat decent pair of headphones. I mainly just wanted more volume and I've definitely got that. The sound quality is definitely better too, though. Maybe its just cuz my headphones are being powered better, but the bass has more depth, which has added an entirely new level to certain atmospheric soundtracks in several games I've tried out, not to mention the obvious improvement when listening to music or watching a movie.

If you want to go small don't get an FX chip, AM3+ isn't the best platform for it. Either wait to see if there are any Athlon Kaveri CPUs on FM2+ or go Intel.

I'll be using it in a pretty stock ATX case with a 550W CPU and I'll move my Athlon II X4 to my HTPC for the moment.. I was asking for an mATX board just in case I want to move the FX to the HTPC later on, but honestly, that's probably asking too much. Considering the Athlon II X4 should be plenty good enough for an HTPC for more than half a decade, I probably don't need this..

So, what would be a good, cheap ATX mainboard for the FX 6300? :)

Spazo

The R280X uses the same chip as the 7900-series, most likely GPU-Z is just out of date.
Use the latest Betadrivers from the AMD-site and be happy.

I'm using the lastest beta driver. That's why I dont understand.

CCC info:

ch9j.png

p5kr.png

edit:

Find out a program called DDU (display driver uninstaller)

When I run it, in the log, I see this:

DDU Version: 9.4
Detected GPU : AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Detected GPU : AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Current driver version : Unknown

It see 2 GPU. So something wrong there. I will run the program in safe mode and see from there.

Thanks guys for the help.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I want to upgrade my 6870 to a GTX 770 sometime in the next few months. I have a 500w cooler master extreme, that should be enough right, or should I just get a new power supply.

kharma45

I'll be using it in a pretty stock ATX case with a 550W CPU and I'll move my Athlon II X4 to my HTPC for the moment.. I was asking for an mATX board just in case I want to move the FX to the HTPC later on, but honestly, that's probably asking too much. Considering the Athlon II X4 should be plenty good enough for an HTPC for more than half a decade, I probably don't need this..

So, what would be a good, cheap ATX mainboard for the FX 6300? :)

There is the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 but I'd advise going Intel if you can.

So I want to upgrade my 6870 to a GTX 770 sometime in the next few months. I have a 500w cooler master extreme, that should be enough right, or should I just get a new power supply.

I woudn't put a nice GPU like that anywhere near that PSU. It could likely do it but I wouldn't chance it.

Ryoohki360

Neo Member

You should check if you're PSU have the necessary PCIE Power Plug for the version of the 770 you'll buy ( i think it's 8+6)

Total system Power Draw with this setup

Processor: Intel 2600K @ stock
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Passive
SSD: Corsair Performance Pro 256GB
Power Supply: Seasonic X-Series Gold 800W

Is 396W with a 770, so add 25% it's about 500W so you'll be tapping you're PSU pretty hard with it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom