• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
firstly, as far as the 212...
from Anandtech-

and for the Noctura-

which brings us to....

whats wrong with closed loop water coolers? long as you stick to tried and tested quality ones you cant really go wrong. I mean, its pretty much plug and play. nothing to assemble, no mucking about with adding water or hooking up hoses and testing for leaks. I mean if you are worried about leaking... im sure theres a ton of users in this thread alone that will tell you you are worried about nothing.

and as far as using 7Gb memory. maybe its just me and someone else in here can say otherwise. but, damn, what the hell is he all running?!?!? I did a really quick test with my two monitors, win 7 ult x64, running a game, teamspeak, pingplotter, numerous browser windows open, and various monitoring programs open and I barely broke 3Gb. again, quick test just to see as I REALLY need to be sleeping. so, maybe someone else can shed more light on this...

also, as far as the SSD, you use the SSD for win and various go to programs. the rest you install on a secondary HDD that can be any size you want. so, theres no lack off storage there...

this would be the first time for me to take a CPU cooling system, usually i wouldn't think about it but it was highly recommend to my use, and 212evo was good and budget friendly
i may upgrade to noctua, but not in water system , i want something basic , so depend on my extra budget i'll see what i can do, the same with SSD

cause in my original budget, i should take either 7850 or gtx760 and cheaper mobo, but i upgrade them in favor of performance , the same with ram at lower latency than 9-9-9-24

a year ago, i bought gskill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL for $45 but i sold them cause i thought i'd take longer time to assemble PC parts, now the same piece costs $77, so i decided to go for a faster one as long as i'm paying premium

thank you for the information

how do you like the final list of parts on the previous page ? :)

Now that you mention it, no email yet. That's kind of odd....When I ordered earlier today, I almost immediately got one. Guess we'll see what happens when we wake up...?

I just tried checking on status with the order# and got: "Hmm...it looks like we're having some trouble matching your order number. Before continuing, please make sure you have entered your order number correctly." It said to allow up to 15 minutes before you can check status. It's been well over 15. I'm not feeling too lucky tonight.

Shit, the confirmation e-mail came overnight and the order is still processing. I got the price match to go through though. Please ship already so my heart can rest!

Hi, quick question. I have a i7 3770k and a 680gtx setup running 6 SATA devices and about 5-6 USB devices concurrently. I have a 750w Coolermaster holding everything together.

The question is, if I add a second 680 to the mix, should I get a bigger power supply?

Hi, quick question. I have a i7 3770k and a 680gtx setup running 6 SATA devices and about 5-6 USB devices concurrently. I have a 750w Coolermaster holding everything together.

The question is, if I add a second 680 to the mix, should I get a bigger power supply?

I have a similar-ish set-up. Though, I'm running an i5 3570k (OC'ed) and 2 670's. My 750w PSU has been fantastic and never had a problem running all the crap I have attached my PC. 750w is plenty for SLI, even with all your extra devices.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
How old is it?

Honestly, not so sure. I bought the whole PC used (I was the one who got that stellar deal on the 7950/2500k/Lian Li case PC in the B/S/T thread earlier this year for $475) so I don't have any idea. With some quick googling, it seems the PSU came out in 2007, so there's a pretty good chance it was carried on from a previous build.

450W is sufficient, really no need to go over that. Sounds like your old PSU is toast, what model is it?

From googling, 450W seems to be borderline with the 7950, but that 450W has been reviewed well, so it seems like it should be able to do the job. But on the other hand, I don't want to fry my components just because I wanted to save $15 by not going up to 550W.
This is the PSU I currently have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171024

Thanks for the help guys. It's much appreciated.

saelz8

I'm starting to think that paying TAX on Amazon is worth the piece of mind, compared to Newegg. No worrying about Restocking Fee's, whether they'll RMA, etc. Amazons return procedure is so much easier, it almost feels like the difference is a premium feature.

Anyone else feel that way?

kennah

Honestly, not so sure. I bought the whole PC used (I was the one who got that stellar deal on the 7950/2500k/Lian Li case PC in the B/S/T thread earlier this year for $475) so I don't have any idea. With some quick googling, it seems the PSU came out in 2007, so there's a pretty good chance it was carried on from a previous build.

From googling, 450W seems to be borderline with the 7950, but that 450W has been reviewed well, so it seems like it should be able to do the job. But on the other hand, I don't want to fry my components just because I wanted to save $15 by not going up to 550W.
This is the PSU I currently have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171024

Thanks for the help guys. It's much appreciated.
Was that mkenyon's old stuff? It is possible that the PSU is getting old. They do degrade over time. I had a 300w run find for a few years then stop being able to push enough power with no change in components.

Parablank

I'm starting to think that paying TAX on Amazon is worth the piece of mind, compared to Newegg. No worrying about Restocking Fee's, whether they'll RMA, etc.

I've been buying all my parts from Amazon for the past year or so and I haven't had any hiccups at all. Amazon's CS is amazing and prime is great. Plus, their return/RMA process is so much easier than all the part sellers I've seen so far.

Kingbrave

I'm starting to think that paying TAX on Amazon is worth the piece of mind, compared to Newegg. No worrying about Restocking Fee's, whether they'll RMA, etc. Amazons return procedure is so much easier, it almost feels like the difference is a premium feature.

I had to return something to Amazon yesterday. UPS man showed up with the label at my house and was good to go. They told me I'd get my refund later today. Which I'm using to get a power supply and a R9 280x.

teiresias

Do most modern game engines play nicely with hyperthreading-enabled CPUs by not putting multiple processes on the same core but in different threads while leaving whole cores idle? I know that used to be an issue, but I haven't really bothered to see if it's still a problem nowadays if hyperthreading is enabled.

Katyusha

Might be returning the M65 I picked up yesterday and picking up a Steelseries Sensei Raw.

I do quite like the ergonomics and design of the Corsair mouse, but the software was a pain in the ass, and automatic profile switching wasn't working properly

Looking for some input on a new build. Looking for a "next-gen" gaming PC. The last build I did was a Q6600 with a 8800 GTX, around the release of BF3 I upgrade the video card to a GTX 560 Ti. Anywho this is a little list I put together on newegg. Will it actually be something that would max a higher res than 1080p on a monitor for next gen games? Just looking for feedback.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26407927

Shit, the confirmation e-mail came overnight and the order is still processing. I got the price match to go through though. Please ship already so my heart can rest!
Looks like it is out of stock again, but my order still says processing. I have a missed call from the Staples coorperate office.....curious what that is about? I'm guessing about my complaint the other day. Or because of my complaint, they aren't going to cancel my order without some sort of head's up.

Order canceled. lol. Wait. Nope. It was my cancelation email from when they canceled yesterday's order. Today is still good so far.

thespot84

Looks like I'll be driving out to Microcenter in a couple days. $199.99 for an i7 4770k is an amazing deal, even with the added tax.

wow so for the same price as the i5-4670k i should be getting the i7, right? And it'll still work in an MSI Z87 G45 mobo?

thespot84

Thanks, awesome.

So far I've got this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.92 @ Amazon)
Total: $1008.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-20 12:38 EST-0500)

Am I on the right track? (I have my own hdd's optical drive already)

kharma45

Thanks, awesome.

So far I've got this:

Am I on the right track? (I have my own hdd's optical drive already)

Few changes

Change the mobo to the UD3H, the VRM quality on the MSI is poor. Gigabyte is a much better board http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...A-Z87X-UD3H&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1287

Change to the 550w Captstone as it's significantly cheaper http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BUST0O/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Newegg do it for $2 less if you're not bothered by rebate forms

I'd save another $10 and grab the EVGA ACX 760 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHW4HS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

kharma45

Looking for some input on a new build. Looking for a "next-gen" gaming PC. The last build I did was a Q6600 with a 8800 GTX, around the release of BF3 I upgrade the video card to a GTX 560 Ti. Anywho this is a little list I put together on newegg. Will it actually be something that would max a higher res than 1080p on a monitor for next gen games? Just looking for feedback.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26407927

Does it all have to come from Newegg? PSU is overkill, motherboard medicore and I wouldn't get that cooler.

If we can shop around we can do much better.

how do you like the final list of parts on the previous page ? :)

PSU is overkill by a huge margin and you don't need a case that size either. A mid tower is sufficient.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.98 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse ($60.94 @ Amazon)
Total: $1089.83
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-20 13:09 EST-0500)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Was that mkenyon's old stuff? It is possible that the PSU is getting old. They do degrade over time. I had a 300w run find for a few years then stop being able to push enough power with no change in components.

Nah, not mkenyon's. Just some random guy in the B/S/T thread. But yeah, seems it is indeed time for a fresh PSU. Can I get any second opinions about the Antec 450W in the OP being enough for a 7950 and 2500k? Or is that just cutting it too close?

Does it all have to come from Newegg? PSU is overkill, motherboard medicore and I wouldn't get that cooler.

If we can shop around we can do much better.

Goal is to use Newegg credit and save the cash for the holidays. Maybe a few things from other places, but the bulk will be from Newegg.

thespot84

Few changes

Change the mobo to the UD3H, the VRM quality on the MSI is poor. Gigabyte is a much better board http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...A-Z87X-UD3H&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1287

Change to the 550w Captstone as it's significantly cheaper http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BUST0O/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Newegg do it for $2 less if you're not bothered by rebate forms

I'd save another $10 and grab the EVGA ACX 760 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHW4HS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Great! Saved me a few bucks too. Picked up that 4770k and we'll see what happens for black friday.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.92 @ Amazon)
Total: $976.82
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-20 13:39 EST-0500)

I have a quick question about Newegg's Iron Egg Price Guarantee. I read through it and it says they won't price guarantee (i.e. give you a refund if a lower price comes along within 14 days) for newegg.com prices during Black Friday Deals Week, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Green Monday. Would this mean that they would still price guarantee against their competitors during this time? It doesn't seem to say that there are restrictions in that regard.

http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/13-2430/index.html

TheCloud

Banned
This SSHD any good? I hadn't really considered a hybrid drive before but I could save a lot by just putting this in and leaving out a dedicated SSD.

stop.jpg

kennah

Point taken. I guess it's not as good as advertised as compared to a normal SSD?

Basically yeah. Adds an extra cost with questionable benefit. You're better off with dedicated SSD + platter drives.

EDIT: They're fine for laptops and PS4s and other places where space is at a premium.

Opiate

Got my 4770k at my local Microcenter. I'm planning on building with patience; I'm in no hurry and can find parts as needed. Keep sales info coming so I can continue to grab my selected pieces as they go on sale. I suspect a good number of them will over the next few weeks.

kennah

Got my 4770k at my local Microcenter. I'm planning on building with patience; I'm in no hurry and can find parts as needed. Keep sales info coming so I can continue to grab my selected pieces as they go on sale. I suspect a good number of them will over the next few weeks.

Great plan. I'm still finishing the build I started in August of 2012 :p

kharma45

Some PSU deals atm if you're interested?

Goal is to use Newegg credit and save the cash for the holidays. Maybe a few things from other places, but the bulk will be from Newegg.

No bother. I'll get back to you in a bit with an updated list solely from there first off.

thespot84

I'm doing exactly the same thing, though not opening the 4770 in case something happens black friday and I can return it.

PSU is overkill by a huge margin and you don't need a case that size either. A mid tower is sufficient.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.98 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse ($60.94 @ Amazon)
Total: $1089.83
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-20 13:09 EST-0500)

1- the case, mouse, HDD , windows 8 pro and PSU been purchased long time ago

^_^

thanks anyways
i wish that i could buy 4770k from microcenter but i'm outside US m and newegg doesnt accept non-US cards, so i think i'll stick with amazon/ebay and outletpc

any thoughts bout quality and CHEAP gaming keyboard?

kharma45

If i'm looking at a gtx760 now and the possibility of another SLI later on to keep up what kind of PSU should I grab? Is 500W enough?

Probably, JayzTwoCents did a power usage video and PCs use much less wattage than what most people think and calculators.

Edit: I would personally go 600w.

kharma45

Yep, I'm interested. Going for a 4770k (obviously) Microt ITX build with a GTX 780. Sales for PSUs in that build?

Two Rosewill units at the minute, one a 650w Bronze for $50 and the other a 550w Gold for $65 (or $67 through Amazon if you don't like rebates). Both modular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BUST0O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Both good value units. Nothing Seasonic based or fully modular at the minute from what I can see. 5 year warranty on the Capstone unit too. It has been cheaper but it's still a good deal all things considered. If you're in no rush there'll be others no doubt.

Jessicat

Hey all, I'm back again. Need some help and/or opinions on this. Repurposed my part list a bit to get it closer to $1k, and recently got an SSD on sale from newegg [other prices from NCIX.ca].

Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor - $239.99
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Z87 Motherboard - $169.99
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 1150MHZ 2GB Video Card - $254.99
Seasonic M12II 650W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply - $109.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatsink - $34.98
ASUS Xonar Dgx Headphone AMP & 5.1 PCI-E Sound Card - $44.99
Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM - $90.98
WD Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive - $99.98
TOTAL = $1,050.88
+Intel 530 Series SSDSC2BW240A4K5 240GB SSD - $188.69 Shipped

Any suggestions on cheaper RAM? Maybe a case too.
I also recently came across this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223120
and didn't know it was a thing that existed XD Would make me less picky about cases as I could have a bunch of USB ports through that instead. Worth getting, downsides, etc?

Would appreciate the input. Might hold off on buying some things, is it worth waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales in Canada?

kennah

Sucks that the Seasonics are so expensive here. You can get a cheaper psu that is almost as good. Will have to search around a bit. Also you don't need the sound card unless you're and audiophile playing with expensive speakers/headphones.

Edit. I can't find anything awesome for psu deals right now but they are the kind of thing to go massively on sale fairly frequently.

Jessicat

Sucks that the Seasonics are so expensive here. You can get a cheaper psu that is almost as good. Will have to search around a bit. Also you don't need the sound card unless you're and audiophile playing with expensive speakers/headphones.

Edit. I can't find anything awesome for psu deals right now but they are the kind of thing to go massively on sale fairly frequently.
I thought I needed the sound card to have sound that isn't weird beeps from the computer itself? Or have times changed since then? ^^;

Not sure if anything is worth grabbing now or if i should wait until Black Friday [that's...next friday? I think?]

kharma45

Hey all, I'm back again. Need some help and/or opinions on this. Repurposed my part list a bit to get it closer to $1k, and recently got an SSD on sale from newegg [other prices from NCIX.ca].

Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor - $239.99
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Z87 Motherboard - $169.99
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 1150MHZ 2GB Video Card - $254.99
Seasonic M12II 650W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply - $109.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatsink - $34.98
ASUS Xonar Dgx Headphone AMP & 5.1 PCI-E Sound Card - $44.99
Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM - $90.98
WD Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive - $99.98
TOTAL = $1,050.88
+Intel 530 Series SSDSC2BW240A4K5 240GB SSD - $188.69 Shipped

Any suggestions on cheaper RAM? Maybe a case too.
I also recently came across this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223120
and didn't know it was a thing that existed XD Would make me less picky about cases as I could have a bunch of USB ports through that instead. Worth getting, downsides, etc?

Would appreciate the input. Might hold off on buying some things, is it worth waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales in Canada?

$75 is the best I can do on a Seasonic http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...57534&PID=3938566&SID=&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA

otherwise $45 for this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...57534&PID=3938566&SID=&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA

Thanks, interested to see what you come up with.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($210.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($505.91 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1066.84
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-20 19:11 EST-0500)

kennah

I thought I needed the sound card to have sound that isn't weird beeps from the computer itself? Or have times changed since then? ^^;

Not sure if anything is worth grabbing now or if i should wait until Black Friday [that's...next friday? I think?]
Hah. Yeah. Times have certainly changed. Onboard audio is just fine for 98% of people's needs. (Sound stopped being a hardware requirement about 8 years ago)

Either of the powersupplies that karma posted are good. Wait if you aren't in a rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom