• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally1987

You got the voltage you wanted, if you get crashes or bsod you will need more but not much as I only use a bit more voltage for my lesser cpu.

I'd be able to help you out more with SA agent if knew what exactly that was referring to. I don't have all your settings and the closest it might be is the one setting that is in offset mode in the 2nd picture.

about the SA-stuff Im not sure either, but it was something i read on a another guide that I have to do.

heres more settings
j20.jpg

k20.jpg

LCGeek

formerly sane
about the SA-stuff Im not sure either, but it was something i read on a another guide that I have to do.

heres more settings
j20.jpg

k20.jpg

Link me the guide here or pm I can easily sort it out. Though to be honest outside of main voltage for cpu and the cores you should be good to go. Just use prime tester or occt to see if it's stable underload and then a game that really pushes your system. Even if you don't like crysis 1 and 3 are really good at seeing if your oc gpu or cpu is stable I crash out quickly when pushing this pc.

Ally1987

Link me the guide here or pm I can easily sort it out. Though to be honest outside of main voltage for cpu and the cores you should be good to go. Just use prime tester or occt to see if it's stable underload and then a game that really pushes your system. Even if you don't like crysis 1 and 3 are really good at seeing if your oc gpu or cpu is stable I crash out quickly when pushing this pc.

PM 4 u :)

I won an Antec P280 computer case from a contest. It came with a dent or two and a broken scew driver less screw, and a sticker that said B stock. After further googling, B-stock means used or refurbished. I guess I can't complain since it was free. I'll probably use it someday for a dedicated stream box or another secondary computer.

kharma45

NoRéN;90730823 said:
Alright, i7 is here so it's about time to start thinking of a motherboard. Looking for some input to hopefully narrow down my choices. Any input welcomed.

Looking to stay in the $100-$150 range not before california tax.

Budget options
ASRock Z87 PRO3 LGA 1150 for $100

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87W LGA 1150 for $100 (GREAT build recommendation)

Sweet Spot
BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87X 3D LGA 1150 for $140 (GREAT/EXCELLENT build recommendation)

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 for $145 (Excellent build recommendation)

Personal favorites if slightly more than what I want to spend
ASRock Z87 Extreme6 LGA 1150 for $150

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 for $160 (Excellent/Enthusiast build recommendation)

I noticed that no AsRock boards were ever recommended. Obviously alot of my choices are from the OP since I trust you all.

Any brands to avoid? Any of these solid choices? Any other good candidates?

I appreciate any info. you all can share. Thanks!

Grab the UD3H. I don't trust ASRock boards fully yet after the Z77 Extreme4 revelations and the G45 has crap VRMs.

Ally1987

think I manage to overclock my cpu now to 4.0Ghz, and I got this on Intel Burner aftewards
s20.jpg

but how can I tell if my cpu is 4.0Ghz now? Is there any testprograms I can fint it out with?

Calmine

think I manage to overclock my cpu now to 4.0Ghz, and I got this on Intel Burner aftewards
s20.jpg

but how can I tell if my cpu is 4.0Ghz now? Is there any testprograms I can fint it out with?

Usually programs like CPU-Z from cpuid can tell you your current processor speed.

Okay, so I have an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard with an AMD FX-8350. The problem I'm having is that the stock heatsink is extremely LOUD. And it doesn't seem to be cooling the processor all too well.
Is there anyone in here with the same motherboard that could recommend a decent heatsink? I'd say one with the crossbar clip thing if possible, but other mounting methods are fine as long as it isn't way too much of a mess around.

For reference, I have 2x4gb corsair vengeance ramsticks, and 2x Radeon HD 7850 crossfired, so it's a little tight in there.

Any suggestions would be great, cause as soon as the CPU hits 50C, it sounds like theres a goddamned jet engine revving up inside the case.

Depending on case you might need to remove your motherboard to mount the backplate. Nothing good uses the crossbar.

Ahh okay, thanks :) There should already be holes for the backplate though? I'd check now, but I'd have to power down and take the current heatsink off to be able to tell...

EDIT: Nevermind, I just checked google and it should definitely work. Thanks for the information, guys :)

rawrbot

Neo Member
Current Setup:
i7 870 + Asus P7P55D-E PRO
EVGA GTX 660 SC
8GB RAM
Antec 500W EA-500D

Thinking about swapping out my PSU for a high quality 650W modular unit and going with a GTX 770 or AMD 290 GPU.

Or should I first upgrade my CPU to Haswell/LGA1150 and then look into a new GPU? Not really in a big rush either, so I'm happy to wait for Broadwell and jump on the Haswell train next year...

Thoughts GAF?

kennah

Current Setup:
EVGA GTX 660 SC
8GB RAM
Antec 500W EA-500D

Thinking about swapping out my PSU for a high quality 650W modular unit and going with a GTX 770 or AMD 290 GPU.

Or should I first upgrade my CPU to Haswell/LGA1150 and then look into a new GPU? Not really in a big rush either, so I'm happy to wait for Broadwell and jump on the Haswell train next year...

Thoughts GAF?

Do it. Your CPU is still ok especially if more things get optimized for Hyperthreading.

Durante

I just bought a ... sound card (Xonar DGX). Never thought I'd say this again.

But it was cheap (32€!), and I'm curious how it sounds with its headphone amp on my Audiotechnicas, compared to the onboard solution.

Well my 4770k arrived today, mint condition, though the UPS box it came in was banged to hell. Odd, considering they specifically called to say it was delayed til tomorrow. Welp that's CPU and GPU down.

kharma45

Current Setup:
EVGA GTX 660 SC
8GB RAM
Antec 500W EA-500D

Thoughts GAF?

OC that CPU and let it stretch its legs. If you're looking at the 290 unquestionably wait until a non-reference one appears.

FoxSpirit

But it was cheap (32€!), and I'm curious how it sounds with its headphone amp on my Audiotechnicas, compared to the onboard solution.
Haha, curious what you think. What headphones do you have?

mkenyon

Banned

What you should be more interested in is the Dolby Headphone virtualized surround that you can now use because of the DGX. It works really well, especially with headphones that have great soundstage such as Audiotechnicas.
NoRéN;90752995 said:
Is it possible to wipe a ssd and reinstall Win 7 OEM?
Yes. Do you need to secure-erase or just reformat?

Its been almost a decade since I built a PC lol. No, I'm serious. Looking for deals and I'm fine with just buying it piece by piece until I put it together. Mostly going to game on it, but want to do some video encoding so I want an internal capture card. Aiming to go 32GB of ram >_> Damn those prices. Open to suggestions or cheaper deals on any components.

Good deal in an i7 4770k?
EVGA GeForce GTX 760
Asus H87M-E Micro ZTX
Corsair 16GB(2x8GB) DDR 1600
Vertex 4 SSD 256GB
Micro ATX Tower
Optical Drive

is the deal for that i7 still going?

welcome back. now you behave yourself so this doesn't happen again, hear?

DTKT

Final sanity check for a build: 743 with taxes and shipping. The PCPartPicker doesn't calculate taxes/shipping and factors in mail rebates. I'm heavily favoring MemoryExpress for the 4.99 flat shipping rate.

Should I lower the RAM to 4GB and upgrade the CPU or GPU?

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/26h95

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.01 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($82.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.82 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $569.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 20:02 EST-0500)

So I'm putting together a new PC based off the excellent - best overall build in the OP.

CPU: i7 4770k 3.5
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 or 250 GB
GPU: No clue yet. Suggestions? I want AMD and something under $250
Power Supply: Not sure. Will be based on final GPU choice
RAM: 8 GB of DDR3
Case: BitFenix Shinobi

Has anything changed since the build was updated in September I should take into consideration? I'm going to a Micro center tomorrow to pick up some pieces.

Ok, so I'm still pretty fucked. I keep getting error code A2 from Dr. Debug on my ASRock Extreme4. The chide is for IDE/SATA problems. I've pulled out both GPUs, unplugged all SATA devices and cleared CMOS but nothing. In worried something is truly fucked.

I'll go ahead and admit I did something kind of completely stupid. When a screw fell into the space between the cooler and the PCB on my card, I got frustrated and flipped the computer horizontally and gave it a shake for a few seconds (its so heavy I didn't get much of a shake in.). It seems like that must have done something because it hadn't worked since then (though I didn't try until after I had the new card in.)

Any thoughts or tips?

bubu

So I'm putting together a new PC based off the excellent - best overall build in the OP.

CPU: i7 4770k 3.5
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 or 250 GB
GPU: No clue yet. Suggestions? I want AMD and something under $250
Power Supply: Not sure. Will be based on final GPU choice
RAM: 8 GB of DDR3
Case: BitFenix Shinobi

Has anything changed since the build was updated in September I should take into consideration? I'm going to a Micro center tomorrow to pick up some pieces.

Nothing has changed from the original. Go ahead and enjoy!

NoRéN

Yes. Do you need to secure-erase or just reformat?

Just a reformat. Not really necessary. I'm giving this pc to my sister so not worried about security but it would be nice to wipe everything clean to give her a fresh install.

It's a DVD based Win 7 OEM if that matters.

Clott

Okay guys I need a push, I already ordered my new PC and the final part will be the monitor, I have had my eyes on the Tempest.

IS there any reason to back out? what monitor have I not seen, it seems like this is the best one. I just want to put in an order tonight and forget about the rest.

My card is in hand, I need a push.

Josh378

Quick question about Routers:

I have a $130 budget to buy a router...I was looking at this model: Asus RT-AC66U. I was on amazon and I saw a few used for $120. I have a gaming PC/PS4/TV that needs high speed wireless signals and this router was recommended to me as one of the best gaming routers on the net. I was wondering if buying used is a good idea or if you have any recommendations that I should look at. Thanks Everyone...

Router spec must have:

Dual band Gigabit 450 + 450
Game Friendly oriented

mkenyon

Banned
Okay guys I need a push, I already ordered my new PC and the final part will be the monitor, I have had my eyes on the Tempest.

IS there any reason to back out? what monitor have I not seen, it seems like this is the best one. I just want to put in an order tonight and forget about the rest.

My card is in hand, I need a push.
Check out this thread:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=90727719#post90727719

I'd recommend the Eizo Foris FG2421

DTKT

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.01 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($82.99 @ Memory Express) DROPPING TO 4GB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.82 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $569.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 20:02 EST-0500)

Hum, I might end up revising things a little bit.

What about dropping down to 4GB, replacing the GTX 660SC by a Asus 270x and the Antec One by a HAF 912? I might also have to bump the PSU to a 500W.
The 270x is faster than the 660 by a good margin, 4GB is more than enough for most games and the HAF 912 is needed in order to fit the 270x. It's also a better case?

Clott

The QNIX Evolution II then. OCs to 120 with fewer issues than the Overlord. Pixel perfect options are available on Newegg.

What if I told you I am comfortable with a 500-600 usd price tag, what would you recommend then?

Edit: Looking at the Dell U3014 but the lack of 120hz and using a measuring tape the 30" is maybe just a tad too big.

Azulsky

What if I told you I am comfortable with a 500-600 usd price tag, what would you recommend then?

Edit: Looking at the Dell U3014 but the lack of 120hz and using a measuring tape the 30" is maybe just a tad too big.

The U3014 is sweet but I would wait to see how GYSNC plays out and which 1440p panels are supported*** Assuming you are using Nvidia.

Display Port does have the bandwidth to drive 1440/1600 panels @ 120Hz so its just a matter of time.

*** I seriously doubt they are going to go out of their way to support 1600p when 1440p is the reference high end resolution now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom