• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($210.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($505.91 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1066.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-20 19:11 EST-0500)

Thanks alot. Deff gonna look through it. Question. I wanted to try a water cooled setup for my CPU. Any particular water cooling options you recommend?

kennah

Thanks alot. Deff gonna look through it. Question. I wanted to try a water cooled setup for my CPU. Any particular water cooling options you recommend?

Depends what you mean by water-cooled. Closed loop coolers the H60 is the entry level one unless you want to do crazy overclocks/have a super hot processor.

There are also 'custom loop' coolers, that start from $400-$600 to do properly.

Its been almost a decade since I built a PC lol. No, I'm serious. Looking for deals and I'm fine with just buying it piece by piece until I put it together. Mostly going to game on it, but want to do some video encoding so I want an internal capture card. Aiming to go 32GB of ram >_> Damn those prices. Open to suggestions or cheaper deals on any components.

Good deal in an i7 4770k?
EVGA GeForce GTX 760
Asus H87M-E Micro ZTX
Corsair 16GB(2x8GB) DDR 1600
Vertex 4 SSD 256GB
Micro ATX Tower
Optical Drive

Got my MSI TF GTX 770 4GB in the mail today, the first piece of the puzzle. CPU will be in Friday. Will probs hold off on most everything else til BF unless some other crazy deals pop up before then.

Its been almost a decade since I built a PC lol. No, I'm serious. Looking for deals and I'm fine with just buying it piece by piece until I put it together. Mostly going to game on it, but want to do some video encoding so I want an internal capture card. Aiming to go 32GB of ram >_> Damn those prices. Open to suggestions or cheaper deals on any components.

Good deal in an i7 4770k?

Yes it's an AMAZING deal, probably as good as it's going to get especially if you get in bundled with a mobo. Problem is finding it in stock. If you've got a microcenter near you get to it asap as the deal ends tomorrow. Also try your local best buy or staples as they've been price matching so long as your local MC has em in stock, but if that fails try to get an online order on Staples.com and get a CSR in live chat to issue you a PM after you place the order (plus there's a $20 of 100 purchases coupon you can find via google that can knock off even more before the PM, as they'll generally just knock off the difference of the list prices and not what you actually bought it for).

Scuttlebutt is to avoid OCZ SSD's at all costs. Major reliability issues.

Also 32GB RAM seems overkill even for video encoding unless you plan to intern at Pixar in your free time.

The mobo is also an H87 chipset, which means you won't be able to OC your unlocked i7k cpu. Get a Z87 board instead.

Plus what's your budget and preferred resolution? If it's anything above 1080p you'll want a gtx 770 at least.

Got my MSI TF GTX 770 4GB in the mail today, the first piece of the puzzle. CPU will be in Friday. Will probs hold off on most everything else til BF unless some other crazy deals pop up before then.

Yes it's an AMAZING deal, probably as good as it's going to get especially if you get in bundled with a mobo. Problem is finding it in stock. If you've got a microcenter near you get to it asap as the deal ends tomorrow. Also try your local best buy or staples as they've been price matching so long as your local MC has em in stock, but if that fails try to get an online order on Staples.com and get a CSR in live chat to issue you a PM after you place the order (plus there's a $20 of 100 purchases coupon you can find via google that can knock off even more before the PM, as they'll generally just knock off the difference of the list prices and not what you actually bought it for).

Scuttlebutt is to avoid OCZ SSD's at all costs. Major reliability issues.

Also 32GB RAM seems overkill even for video encoding unless you plan to intern at Pixar in your free time.

The mobo is also an H87 chipset, which means you won't be able to OC your unlocked i7k cpu. Get a Z87 board instead.

Plus what's your budget and preferred resolution? If it's anything above 1080p you'll want a gtx 770 at least.
Omg, its out of stock for the one near my house! Deal is only in stores too. :(
Thanks, will change those parts out.

Omg, its out of stock for the one near my house! Deal is only in stores too. :(
Thanks, will change those parts out.

Physically drive out there though as some have reported seeing OOS online but finding plenty of them when they check themselves in store. Also staples.com seems to have delisted their 4770k's entirely, it's got an automated redirect when you try to go to the product page via google o.0 They must've gotten hammered in this deal.

Opiate

Two Rosewill units at the minute, one a 650w Bronze for $50 and the other a 550w Gold for $65 (or $67 through Amazon if you don't like rebates). Both modular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BUST0O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Both good value units. Nothing Seasonic based or fully modular at the minute from what I can see. 5 year warranty on the Capstone unit too. It has been cheaper but it's still a good deal all things considered. If you're in no rush there'll be others no doubt.

I'm tempted most by the Seasonics as well as this Corsair. I'll wait and try and find deals on those. It seems you're a good resource for these sorts of questions: I'll be checkin gthis thread.

Ordered the i7-4770k from Staples last night, price matched this morning and now it has just shipped from the warehouse. I don't know why I'm so excited. I'm just going to end up being jealous of the computer I'm building for my nephew now.

Did your order ship, Vincent?

Whelp, this hasn't gone exactly well. After a bit of an ordeal where a stray screw got knocked into a card -- twice -- I got everything put in place and connected. Except now it doesn't boot.

The Motherboard is an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4. The Dr. Debug thing had what looks like 64 as the final numbers it displays while booting (thigh it could be b4 I guess?)

The manual lists either "CPU DXE initialization (CPU module specific)" or "USB hot plug" as the meaning for the code.

I feel lost as to what to do. Guess I'll call it a night and try again tomorrow night

Edit: playing around with it I got to A2 which is about SATA devices I guess? Ugh. Guess I need to try unplugging them all.

damisa

Got my 4770k at my local Microcenter. I'm planning on building with patience; I'm in no hurry and can find parts as needed. Keep sales info coming so I can continue to grab my selected pieces as they go on sale. I suspect a good number of them will over the next few weeks.

I also picked up my 4770k from microcenter today. I decided to check out motherboards and they had the asus z87-pro($200 on newegg) with two pricetags $155 and $185. I asked the guy who worked there why there was two prices and he said the cheaper one was an old price and removed it. When I asked if I can get the cheaper price, he said he already removed the tag so I can't but then I noticed a third price tag for also $155. So I took that one instead. When I went to pay, they took an additional $30 off I guess because of the mistake.

I figure this might be the place to ask this but I bought a 1440p monitor the other day so I'm now using two screens. Right now I'm exporting a few movies on Adobe Media Encoder and it's being awfully slow.

Could it be cause I'm using two monitors? I know I have CUDA enabled so it tries to offset some of the load to the GPU...

Ban Puncher

My ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard was auto detecting the RAM at 1333MHz instead of it's intended 2133MHz speed. Odd. Changed to 2133 at the BIOS, nothing has caught fire so far.

AcridMeat

Banned
My ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard was auto detecting the RAM at 1333MHz instead of it's intended 2133MHz speed. Odd. Changed to 2133 at the BIOS, nothing has caught fire so far.
My hero defaulted my 2133 (might be 18 something actually) to 1600mhz. Haven't bothered to up it yet as I wanted to make sure everything else was working okay.

Ordered the i7-4770k from Staples last night, price matched this morning and now it has just shipped from the warehouse. I don't know why I'm so excited. I'm just going to end up being jealous of the computer I'm building for my nephew now.

Did your order ship, Vincent?
I was just coming in here to ask you if yours had. Mine hasn't yet. It has been processing all day. I've been afraid to price match it because I have a paranoid-side that thinks when I do, they'll cancel again. lol. Guess when I wake up tomorrow, I'll finally price match it.

I was just coming in here to ask you if yours had. Mine hasn't yet. It has been processing all day. I've been afraid to price match it because I have a paranoid-side that thinks when I do, they'll cancel again. lol. Guess when I wake up tomorrow, I'll finally price match it.
I price matched yesterday morning and it finally said shipped from warehouse last night. I just checked the status again now and it's already out for delivery. I hope everything works out for you too.

Foxyone

If I was thinking about building a PC near the end of this year / early next year, should I probably just buy the parts on Black Friday? Does Newegg usually have any good deals?

FoxSpirit

New parts now in my room:

CPU: Intel i7-4770k
Mobo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8-8-8-24 1.5V // 2x4GB
Heatsink: CoolerMaster 212 Evo
New storage HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000VN000

Total cost: 678 Euros (~ 913 dollars)

You may guess how I chose my parts :p

Tomorrow, it's assembly time. Will also pop-in my unused 830 series 128 GB Samsung SSD and reinstall Windows. Backing up all the stuff... awww hell.

But in the end, this will be a very nice modern rig, the HD6850 should serve me for some more time.

Cyrano

I am looking to get some 3TB or 4TB HDDs and am looking for advice on which ones are best. Trying not to spend too much money and maybe get a deal on 2 for 1 or buy one get the other half-off. Something like that.

Thoughts? I'm interested in both external and internal drives.

Hey PC-Gaf! So, I'm looking at buying or maaaaaybe building a new PC. I built my last two PC's and went pretty much all out on them but I don't have the will right now to throw down that kind of dough again.

-I'm not looking to spend more than $750
-The only games I really play on my current PC is World of Warcraft and League of Legends.
-I mainly just want a new PC for when the new WoW expansion comes out. But being able to play more current gen games would be great too.

I don't really know shit about PC hardware anymore cause I've been out of the loop for so long.

Woot.com is having a pretty decent sale on what I think is a pretty solid tower:
http://tech.woot.com/offers/envy-core-i7-desktop-w-12gb-ram-2tb-hd-2

If anyone could take a look at it and maybe give me their opinion based off some of the information I laid out that would greatly appreciated! Also, is buying refurbished computer like this a big risk? Has anyone had any experience buying computers from Woot? They are on sale there all the time.

Ally1987

Im gonna try to overclock my 3930k to only 4.0Ghz, but where in BIOS do I change my multi to 40 and change the CPU vcore to about 1.185. and set SA agent to 1.1. Can someone one guide me please?

w10.jpg

kharma45

Im gonna try to overclock my 3930k to only 4.0Ghz, but where in BIOS do I change my multi to 40 and change the CPU vcore to about 1.185. and set SA agent to 1.1. Can someone one guide me please?

w10.jpg

Tried hitting return on that bit you've highlighted? What mobo is it?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Can anyone comment on advantage of buying a separate NIC? Or should I just go with one of the MSI Gaming mobos that has killer NIC in it?

Some boards have crappy nic chips, though to be straight forward some features be it wireless or ethernet make your gaming messed up vs if they were disabled. If the mobo with the killer nic isn't too pricy I say go with that. Only onboards I recommend against are realtek, atheros, and broadcom crap. Intels and killer nic chipsets are pretty good.

With that being said I have good intel nic for cheap and next to killer there is nothing else I recommend if you want the best gaming performance.

What really matters to me and this can't be said enough get a router that has been vetted for gaming and has good features. Generic routers often time have crap features or crap support on them that either make you lag or dicsonnect frequently for a variety of reasons.

I'm missing a mouse, I don't want anything too fancy; I like a two button mouse with a wheel that can scroll to the sides too and have 2 buttons on the thumb. Something like the Marathon mouse, that I have, but wired and with better tracking.
How is the Logitech G400? (I like Logitech, I have a lot of their products, and they are great)

Pretty good if you liked the mx518 or other similar mice, it's just more powerful one with no angle snapping unlike it's predecessors. My only real piece of advice run the polling rate at 500mhz not 1000mhz it's more accurate as people on the forums have made pictures of the differences.

LCGeek

formerly sane

w10.jpg

Ai tweaker is an easier way to change those stats and most of what you mentioned should be on the page I showed. Ratio is at the top and the voltage stuff towards the bottom.

For the record do not mess with the bclk unless you know what your board and devices can handle.

riflen

w10.jpg

You need to use the Ai Tweaker options. Second tab on the screenshot you posted.

I am a noob when it comes to opening up my PC case and changing things.

Today I am installing a PCI-E USB 3.0 card into my DELL XPS 420 desktop. I had to get an extension cable for the 4-pin DC power connection to the card. I had an unconnected 4-pin coming out of my power supply but it was too short to reach the card.

Anyway, I plan on shutting down the computer, putting in the card, connecting the 4-pin power, then turning on the computer and installing from the included CD-ROM.

Anything I'm missing or planning to do wrong? Just wanted to run this by you guys (the experts) beforehand so I don't screw anything up or come across any terrible problems.

Ally1987

Ai tweaker is an easier way to change those stats and most of what you mentioned should be on the page I showed. Ratio is at the top and the voltage stuff towards the bottom.

For the record do not mess with the bclk unless you know what your board and devices can handle.

So what do I do in this tab? I have typed in 40 in the multi (I think?)

c20.jpg

Thanks alot for the help, btw.

LCGeek

formerly sane
So what do I do in this tab? I have typed in 40 in the multi (I think?)

Thanks alot for the help, btw.

You set your cores to right speed.

Now you have to go down to proper voltage variables and adjust them. I can't see what you're using as you might need to decided between offset voltage and manual.

NoRéN

Alright, i7 is here so it's about time to start thinking of a motherboard. Looking for some input to hopefully narrow down my choices. Any input welcomed.

Looking to stay in the $100-$150 range not before california tax.

Budget options
ASRock Z87 PRO3 LGA 1150 for $100

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87W LGA 1150 for $100 (GREAT build recommendation)

Sweet Spot
BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87X 3D LGA 1150 for $140 (GREAT/EXCELLENT build recommendation)

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 for $145 (Excellent build recommendation)

Personal favorites if slightly more than what I want to spend
ASRock Z87 Extreme6 LGA 1150 for $150

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 for $160 (Excellent/Enthusiast build recommendation)

I noticed that no AsRock boards were ever recommended. Obviously alot of my choices are from the OP since I trust you all.

Any brands to avoid? Any of these solid choices? Any other good candidates?

I appreciate any info. you all can share. Thanks!

Ally1987

You set your cores to right speed.

Now you have to go down to proper voltage variables and adjust them. I can't see what you're using as you might need to decided between offset voltage and manual.

Is this correct? I have typed in 1.185 as you can see...

h20.jpg

e20.jpg

If its correct then the only thing left is to set SA agent to 1.1, but where on this tap do I do that?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Is this correct? I have typed in 1.185 as you can see...

h20.jpg

e20.jpg

If its correct then the only thing left is to set SA agent to 1.1, but where on this tap do I do that?

You got the voltage you wanted, if you get crashes or bsod you will need more but not much as I only use a bit more voltage for my lesser cpu.

I'd be able to help you out more with SA agent if knew what exactly that was referring to. I don't have all your settings and the closest it might be is the one setting that is in offset mode in the 2nd picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom