• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does "Standard - Very Capable" mean for the OP build? What kind of specs do I need to handle the end of last gens games at 60 FPS with few/no drops? Enthusiast?

kharma45

What does "Standard - Very Capable" mean for the OP build? What kind of specs do I need to handle the end of last gens games at 60 FPS with few/no drops? Enthusiast?

It (Standard build) would do it but I'd lean towards Great if you can. All depends on what you can spend. Base for 60fps for end of last gen games is an i5 3570K/4670K and a 7850 and above.

Yep. The i7 4770k is out of stock and I'm screwed. That is garbage. They won't backorder and offered up no alternative.

Shit, mine's still in processing. But I have a ship date right? RIGHT? Oh god the live chat queue is so long

EDIT: One Tyra G. "confirms" my order has not been scratched and should be delivered by the 22nd. Feels a little better, but I'll be clawing my way through transcripts in hand if anything goes south.

NoRéN

It (Standard build) would do it but I'd lean towards Great if you can. All depends on what you can spend. Base for 60fps for end of last gen games is an i5 3570K/4670K and a 7850 and above.

I was getting 45fps on high settings with an i3 2120 and HD7850.

I second kharma's recommendation. If money is an issue, stick with a regular harddrive and onboard sound to keep cost down.

You could always talk to this guy about his stuff for sale.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90500636&postcount=16075
As of this morning, I am parting out my PC. It's something I went back and forth on the past few weeks but I just need to get rid of it. Here's what I have if any of you are interested:

Sapphire 3GB 7970 (non GHZ version)
Intel i5-3570K
Corsair H60 cooler
MSI M77 MPower mobo
Samsung RAM 8GB
Seasonic M12II 620w power supply

I built it in April and have cleaned it out once a month since then. I've probably only put ~4 days or so of actual gaming time on it; the rest of the time it's either been idling or off. Still have the boxes for every component too. I'm not sure at all what this stuff is worth.

Katyusha

Picked up a Corsair M65 mouse (for only $50, btw) to replace my G500.

Love the design and the ergonomics. Also digging the blue lighting, even though I would've preferred it to be red, to match the lighting on the black K70 that I'm planning on picking up

Majukun

anyone knows if the monitor LG 22ma53d is any good?
i need a good monitor for my pc that can laso be used as a tv.

the alternative is a samsung t24c300..it's bigger,but around the internet many people say to avoid samsung tn panels

NoRéN

Lordy. Would you mind double-checking? I'm getting nervous.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/customer-support/pickup.aspx

below 4.

Only in-stock items are available for in-store pickup. If you don't want to pick up all your items, you'll need to place one order for delivery and a reservation for in-store pickup separately. Your reservation must be picked up within three calendar days. Once that time has expired, your items will automatically be returned and your credit card will not be charged.

Tablo

Just a heads up, this little guy just dropped and I've been eyeing it to use in the future:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181058

35-181-058-TS

Corsair H75

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/henry-butt/corsair-hydro-h75-cpu-cooler-review/

Reviews check out, seems useful for a SFF build where this won't obstruct things too much on the motherboard, really good fans included, and apparently they made the mounting mechanism alot easier.

NoRéN

Just in time for my question: how does a Hyper 212 Evo compare to the cooler above or an H60?

Hyper 212 EVO - $35 or so
H60 - $60 w/$10 rebate
H75

Worth the extra price?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Ok, I got some spare money, so I'm building a PC, haven't built one in more than 10 years and want to catch up with PC games I've missed (I survived with Nintendo consoles, so thank god Humble Bundle, Steam Sales, GOG sales and Amazon sales let me buy games really cheap).

Build is:
Corsair 200R case (reviews are really great for this case, should not have any trouble)
Corsair Builder CX600 Power Supply
MOBO MSI Z87-GD65
MSI GTX760 Twin Frzer OC
I5-4670K Processor
OCZ Agility 120GB SSD (Primary Drive)
WD Caviar Green 2TB (cheapest I could find)
2x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Kingston RAM
Cheap LG DVDRW
Cheap DLink Wifi internal anthena
Windows 8 SL
ViewSonic VX2370SMH-LED 23-Inch (scared about the 7ms, but should be lower than the TV, and THAT IPS SCREEN)
Cheap MSFT Keyboard

I'm missing a mouse, I don't want anything too fancy; I like a two button mouse with a wheel that can scroll to the sides too and have 2 buttons on the thumb. Something like the Marathon mouse, that I have, but wired and with better tracking.
How is the Logitech G400? (I like Logitech, I have a lot of their products, and they are great)

The point of this build was to make a powerful enough PC that could survive this generation, to be cool and quiet; but at the same time, I can overclock it easily and add another graphics card to do a SLI bridge and get it to perform a little better than the same build with a Titan card; so in 3 or 4 years I can upgrade it and extend it's life, and it will be cheap, although I'll need an external fan.

Maybe I'll need a new power supply for SLI, what's your opinion?

Tomorrow I will assemble it and post impressions on some games; can't wait to get to next next generation (last console: Wii =P); I have like 70 games waiting from various Humble Bundles and sales, lol.

this is my new build , looking to hear a lot of opinions :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAP122-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Full (64-bit) ($121.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse ($62.06 @ Amazon)
Total: $1239.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-19 21:05 EST-0500)

NOTES:
1- the case, mouse, HDD , windows 8 pro and PSU been purchased long time ago
2- there's a newer CPU cooler called Hyper 212X , it'd cost me $70 , about the double price of Hyper 212 EVO, look here and say if it's worth it or not.
3- the PSU is silver, not gold as the link states
4- i've a monitor already, the model isn't recorder in the site
5- i'm trying to buy 16GB if i got a good deal
6- i need keyboard suggestions, something cheap and good, usually i'm depending on controller and/or mouse, or i'll stick with generic keyboard :p
7- there're lotta motherboards around this price from asrock, asus and msi gaming, but on an expert advice from "kharma45", i'll stick with gigabyte
7- another RAM, same specs but for extra $15, CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 , might consider it if there's some compatibly issues

thanks in advance :)

Anton668

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)

NOTES:
1- the case, mouse, HDD , windows 8 pro and PSU been purchased long time ago
2- there's a newer CPU cooler called Hyper 212X , it'd cost me $70 , about the double price of Hyper 212 EVO, look here and say if it's worth it or not.
5- i'm trying to buy 16GB if i got a good deal

well, first off the 850PSU is a waste. but you already have that so.... whatever

second, the 212evo will be plenty good.. at $70 your starting to get into closed loop water cooler territory, so at that point why bother with air? if you really want to bump up the 212, replace the stock fan with a Corsair SP120 for another $15 and you'll still be $20ish cheaper than that 212X

thirdly, what is it with you and 16Gb ram? did I miss the post where you said you'd be doing anything other than gaming on it? time and time again ppl have stated that 8Gb is plenty for gaming. am I missing something? seriously, take the saved money and put it towards a SSD

Why are you getting 850w?

already has if im not mistaken

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
All right, so my PSU is making pretty horrid high-pitched whining sounds. Coil-whine sort of whining sounds, not fan whining sounds (to be sure, I did pull the PSU out and attempt to blow any dust or anything out of the fan but that didn't change anything). There isn't some special cure I'm not thinking of, right? It's time for me to get a new PSU?

Edit: Also, would that Antec VP-450 450W be enough to power my (non-OC'd) 2500k and 7950?

Why are you getting 850w?

already has if im not mistaken
+ 280X is requiring 750W based on the retail box

second, the 212evo will be plenty good.. at $70 your starting to get into closed loop water cooler territory, so at that point why bother with air? if you really want to bump up the 212, replace the stock fan with a Corsair SP120 for another $15 and you'll still be $20ish cheaper than that 212X

thirdly, what is it with you and 16Gb ram? did I miss the post where you said you'd be doing anything other than gaming on it? time and time again ppl have stated that 8Gb is plenty for gaming. am I missing something? seriously, take the saved money and put it towards a SSD

i dont like water cooling, so i'll stick with evo if it's excellent

you're correct, it's just for gaming and daily life like media and browsing

as i said before, my friend put the idea in my mind cause he's hitting the 7 GB of ram if he's playing and running apps in the background or next to the game, i dont know if i'd do that but the idea is scaring me for the coming days lol

as for the SSD, i really like it, but still i think i need data space more than speed, and mostly i need to save as much cash as possible, so i'm welcoming any saving tips but not the ones that would downgrade performance

thanks

Heysoos

I know this is not the right place but I figure you all now the most when it comes to this stuff....

So earlier my laptop just froze up when I was trying to change my password for my Gmail on Chrome, got to the point where I had to do a System Refresh through Win8.1. Now it sounds like my HDD is making clicking noises, and according to Task Manager, my computer is constantly running the HDD at 100%.

How fucked am I? I'd hate to have to send it in for repairs, it's less than 3 months old. :/

Anton668

+ 280X is requiring 750W based on the retail box

i dont like water cooling, so i'll stick with evo if it's excellent

you're correct, it's just for gaming and daily life like media and browsing

as i said before, my friend put the idea in my mind cause he's hitting the 7 GB of ram if he's playing and running apps in the background or next to the game, i dont know if i'd do that but the idea is scaring me for the coming days lol

as for the SSD, i really like it, but still i think i need data space more than speed, and mostly i need to save as much cash as possible, so i'm welcoming any saving tips but not the ones that would downgrade performance

thanks

firstly, as far as the 212...
from Anandtech-
I'll confess I went into this part of the review with a little bit of a bias. While my experiences with Cooler Master's products have been mixed, the Hyper 212 coolers have generally been very well regarded. And why wouldn't they be? The Hyper 212 Plus and EVO employ basically the same direct touch heatpipe technology that made Xigmatek's HDT1283 such a crowd pleaser, and they're both incredibly affordable. Cooler Master is able to eke a tremendous amount of efficiency out of this design with just one good 120mm fan, and while the 212 EVO can be beaten by closed loop coolers or fancier air coolers, it's an easy sell to an enthusiast on a budget.
Finally, as I mentioned before, I went into this review with a bias toward the Hyper 212 EVO and frankly, it delivered. The price-performance ratio of Cooler Master's Hyper 212 coolers is essentially bulletproof and speaks to the same type of user who overclocked not to hit records, but to get the most out of his or her limited investment. A build using a Hyper 212 EVO and an Antec GX700 enclosure, for example, may not be the most attractive system in the world, but it'll get a tremendous amount of mileage out of the buyer's money. Because the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is able to produce fairly competitive thermals without too much noise pollution

and for the Noctura-
The Noctua NH-D14 performed admirably, and if for whatever reason a closed loop cooler isn't on your list, the D14 is about as good as it gets on American shores *snip* SilverStone's Heligon HE01 can hit the same performance levels, but it produces much higher noise in the process. You'll pay a pretty penny for the NH-D14, but it definitely feels like a quality cooler. Installation is sturdy, and performance and acoustics are very good.

which brings us to....

whats wrong with closed loop water coolers? long as you stick to tried and tested quality ones you cant really go wrong. I mean, its pretty much plug and play. nothing to assemble, no mucking about with adding water or hooking up hoses and testing for leaks. I mean if you are worried about leaking... im sure theres a ton of users in this thread alone that will tell you you are worried about nothing.

and as far as using 7Gb memory. maybe its just me and someone else in here can say otherwise. but, damn, what the hell is he all running?!?!? I did a really quick test with my two monitors, win 7 ult x64, running a game, teamspeak, pingplotter, numerous browser windows open, and various monitoring programs open and I barely broke 3Gb. again, quick test just to see as I REALLY need to be sleeping. so, maybe someone else can shed more light on this...

also, as far as the SSD, you use the SSD for win and various go to programs. the rest you install on a secondary HDD that can be any size you want. so, theres no lack off storage there...

i7-4770k is back up on Staples.com. Placed my order. Hope I can get it price matched tomorrow morning.
I will go bananas if they cancel mine again....lol. I wrote them a strongly worded email about canceling my order without giving me a head's up. I guess as long as they actually send an email this time letting me know it is canceled. Here goes!

Barzul

If i'm looking at a gtx760 now and the possibility of another SLI later on to keep up what kind of PSU should I grab? Is 500W enough?

I'd go with 600w (I think that's the suggested power supply rating) but if you're planning to Sli, you'll need even more than that.

I will go bananas if they cancel mine again....lol. I wrote them a strongly worded email about canceling my order without giving me a head's up. I guess as long as they actually send an email this time letting me know it is canceled. Here goes!

Have you gotten a confirmation e-mail yet? I haven't gotten one since I ordered, but I can't remember how long it normally takes to get a confirmation e-mail.

Have you gotten a confirmation e-mail yet? I haven't gotten one since I ordered, but I can't remember how long it normally takes to get a confirmation e-mail.
Now that you mention it, no email yet. That's kind of odd....When I ordered earlier today, I almost immediately got one. Guess we'll see what happens when we wake up...?

I just tried checking on status with the order# and got: "Hmm...it looks like we're having some trouble matching your order number. Before continuing, please make sure you have entered your order number correctly." It said to allow up to 15 minutes before you can check status. It's been well over 15. I'm not feeling too lucky tonight.

jfoul

Looks like I'll be driving out to Microcenter in a couple days. $199.99 for an i7 4770k is an amazing deal, even with the added tax.

Kingbrave

I'm lazy and bought a prebuilt PC. It came with a 460w power supply. Is it hard to take it out and put a new one in? I want to go from this 2g 650ti boost to a r9 280x. I haven't done it 5 or 6 years and wondered if there was anything I should know.

Edit: I'll try to remember I posted. I have problems with remembering when I post in threads.

BIGWORM

I'm lazy and bought a prebuilt PC. It came with a 460w power supply. Is it hard to take it out and put a new one in? I want to go from this 2g 650ti boost to a r9 280x. I haven't done it 5 or 6 years and wondered if there was anything I should know.

Edit: I'll try to remember I posted. I have problems with remembering when I post in threads.

Easy as pie. Main power, peripherals, cooling, whatever else you got plugged up. The CABLE MANAGEMENT, though, can make grown men weep.

Kingbrave

Easy as pie. Main power, peripherals, cooling, whatever else you got plugged up. The CABLE MANAGEMENT, though, can make grown men weep.

Thanks. I've done it before back in college. Which was back in '99. I didn't know if anything major had changed. I've installed ram, hdd, ssd and video cards since then.

Again thanks.

BIGWORM

Depends. I have a modular PSU and a Fractal R2 case and everything was super easy and looks really tidy.

Case layout is quintessential to good cable management, no doubt. I, on the other hand, have a Corsair TX750 v1 non-modular, but my NZXT Phantom is pretty good on cable management, though. I may look for a modular PSU in the future, though; mine is the greater part of 4 years old.

FoxSpirit

Not sure I would go with a 7970 over an R9 280x at this point. Those prices are tempting though.

That Intel SSD is definitely worth it. 150 beans for 240 GB of storage and Sandforce is a great deal.

As far as the Haswell K processors, I'm not a fan. Intel removed a lot of functionality from them for no reason (vt-d, TSX, vPro, etc). If you're just gaming and don't plan on doing anything techie than its not a big deal.
How important is the "no virtualisation" thing?? I mean, I play, I watch streams, I encode, maybe a bit of mono-game programming on the side.

kharma45

TheCloud

Banned
How important is the "no virtualisation" thing?? I mean, I play, I watch streams, I encode, maybe a bit of mono-game programming on the side.

Don't misunderstand, the K processors still have VT-X functionality that allows basic virtualization.

However, they do not have VT-D, which allows passthrough of I/O devices to a virtual machine. For instance, I could passthrough a dedicated VGA to a Windows VM for gaming purposes, among other things.

Not many people are going to be doing this, obviously.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
All right, so my PSU is making pretty horrid high-pitched whining sounds. Coil-whine sort of whining sounds, not fan whining sounds (to be sure, I did pull the PSU out and attempt to blow any dust or anything out of the fan but that didn't change anything). There isn't some special cure I'm not thinking of, right? It's time for me to get a new PSU?

Edit: Also, would that Antec VP-450 450W be enough to power my (non-OC'd) 2500k and 7950?

Bumping for new page... Sort of urgent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom