• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gaffers,

I'm trying to figure out where I'm getting bottle necked...

I have a pretty high end rig, but still not running certain games as smoothly as I'd want.

Let's take an example of Tomb Raider. Very often don't hit smooth FPS on high settings (nowhere near maxed out). If you guys were me, what would you update?

i7 2700k (Not overclocked yet)
GTX 770 4gb (not overclocked)
16gb DDR3 1600 ram
SSD Drive for these games

Or maybe I should stick with my current rig, and try and optimize it with OC'ing the CPU and GPU? GPU is the newest addition, less than 6 months old.

Tablo

I'd also really suggest the EVGA Classified 780 over the 780Ti, fwiw.

Nice, how would that cooler fare in a smaller enclosure? (ie Bitfenix Colossus M XP)

Also is there any consensus yet on whether TSX (4770 (non k) has performance gains for gaming? I wouldn't mind the drastically reduced heat/power use not overcloking if frametime gains are minimal, or is this TSX stuff only going to help later on in a year or more?

One Last thing, any good benchmarks for BF4 in terms of CPU, multiplayer.

Guys, build is now 3-4 years old. Money is short. The plan is to upgrade the pc and make it last a while longer as a relevant gaming machine, and then add a next gen console to the mix once the good games come out. But for now, it seems that games like BF4 should still be played on the PC.

What should I upgrade?

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E (uses CPU socket 1366) < what is the lifetime and wear and tear on motherboards?

Ram: 12 GB DDR3 1666 mhz

CPU: i7 950 stock (3,0 ghz) < can i OC this to 4 ghz? If I get a new CPU i need a new mobo as well. expensive! Maybe if I cooled it with a corsair H100?

GPU: 470 Gigabyte non reference OCed 1200 vram < will wait until maxwell to upgrade. but maxwell should fit in the old pic-e slots, right?

SSD: two corsair force 2 128 GB SSD in raid. feels slow and bad. < will replace with a 256 Samsung EVO.

Guys, build is now 3-4 years old. Money is short. The plan is to upgrade the pc and make it last a while longer as a relevant gaming machine, and then add a next gen console to the mix once the good games come out. But for now, it seems that games like BF4 should still be played on the PC.

What should I upgrade?

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E (uses CPU socket 1366) < what is the lifetime and wear and tear on motherboards?

Ram: 12 GB DDR3 1666 mhz

CPU: i7 950 stock (3,0 ghz) < can i OC this to 4 ghz? If I get a new CPU i need a new mobo as well. expensive! Maybe if I cooled it with a corsair H100?

GPU: 470 Gigabyte non reference OCed 1200 vram < will wait until maxwell to upgrade. but maxwell should fit in the old pic-e slots, right?

SSD: two corsair force 2 128 GB SSD in raid. feels slow and bad. < will replace with a 256 Samsung EVO.

I'd say OC the cpu and get a new GPU. You don't need an H100 to OC, you can get something like a Hyper 212 Evo, and put most of your upgrade budget into a GPU. Why wait for Maxwell? It could be a while and we have no idea how much of a leap it's going to be over the 700 series. If it's that much better, sell your 700 series and put that towards Maxwell at that point.

mkenyon

Banned
Nice, how would that cooler fare in a smaller enclosure? (ie Bitfenix Colossus M XP)

Also is there any consensus yet on whether TSX (4770 (non k) has performance gains for gaming? I wouldn't mind the drastically reduced heat/power use not overcloking if frametime gains are minimal, or is this TSX stuff only going to help later on in a year or more?

One Last thing, any good benchmarks for BF4 in terms of CPU, multiplayer.
That'd be fine in a Colossus M.

MP games greatly benefit from overclocking. Basically, when shit gets crazy, the CPU gets taxed pretty heavily. My deductive reasoning points to translating game state.

I've done a lot of tests with MP games, OC'ing in steps of 200MHz from 3600-4600MHz, and the 99th percentile frame times were lowered significantly. It doesn't really show up in average FPS, but it's there. From an anecdotal standpoint, they felt a lot smoother too.

There's no decent benchmarks for BF4 multiplayer. Basically, it would be nearly impossible to recreate the same situation in order to get accurate results.

I have a 2013 27-inch iMac (bootcamped with Windows 8.1)... how well can it run these games? Approximate FPS, resolution, and all of that good stuff would be great. I don't wanna buy games that don't perform that well, and I'd rather get current gen games here than on my 360/PS3/WiiU if possible. I'm just returning to PC gaming after a long time, so I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to specs anymore..

Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed 4
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Batman Arkham Origins

smh I forgot to include my specs:
intel core i5-4570 cpu @ 3.00 ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 755M

Najaf

Pulling the trigger on an i7 4770k from microcenter tomorrow and shopping for a new board now.

Anything I should know regarding motherboard recommendations that is not in the OT?

Looking seriously at the z87 Sabertooth and z87 Maximus VI Hero. Are there any new boards worth a hard look at? Have been running a Gigabyte board that had some bent pin issues a few years ago so I am a bit sour on them.

I enjoy overclocking, but only casually. Also, on board bluetooth would be a plus, but not something I want to necessarily go out of my way to pay extra for.

Thanks GAF.

Heat dissipation is great - in larger cases. This keeps the air inside. The reference/titan design pushes it out., which is what you want.

Well it's also that he is getting one of the vertically gpu mounting cases that doesn't handle anything but the reference coolers well. Even if he was getting the big FT02 it wouldn't be good to get a non reference video card.

Azulsky

I'd also really suggest the EVGA Classified 780 over the 780Ti, fwiw.

This. Performance margins are pretty thin especially considering the pricegap 780 Classy is a better deal.

My only reason for stepping up to the TI is that I am only paying for the difference in shipping due to the pre-drop price of the 780 classy.

Also ACX cooler SLI was a bad idea.

Jabba

Banned
I just got a $400 gift card. I have technical ability, I take apart my laptop when needed and I mean the parts are everywhere. That laptop still runs most games in medium at 1200p. The screen just went out and don't really feel like opening the fucking thing again. Uggh.

About how much for future proofing if I bought one from a vendor GAF would reccomend vs taking a chance building my own?

Prefer Intel and Nvid. Would like to use a newer TV for 1080p and monitor at that or higher. I'd be switching between displays dependant on mood. Would like to go SLI as my laptop was fantastic with hardly any probs 5 years.

I live with limited income and that's why I wanted get a ball park figure for each purchasing option.
Prebuilt vs Self build.

Will post more information on my wants if needed.

Ok kennah but never said my budget was $400. I'm just wondering the dollar amount I need to save for my goals. Thanks for the reply.

I thought my post was clear. I guess it wasn't.

I could build my own as I have the abilty to do so. I know prebuilt has higher cost. I was just asking, how much more cost is involved with self build vs prebuild. It should be obvious that I know there's no future proofing with $400. Hopefully ps3 browser does survey correctly. lol

kennah

I just got a $400 gift card. I have technical ability, I take apart my laptop when needed and I mean the parts are everywhere. That laptop still runs most games in medium at 1200p. The screen just went out and don't really feel like opening the fucking thing again. Uggh.

About how much for future proofing if I bought one from a vendor GAF would reccomend vs taking a chance building my own?

Prefer Intel and Nvid. Would like to use a newer TV for 1080p and monitor at that or higher. I'd be switching between displays dependant on mood. Would like to go SLI as my laptop was fantastic with hardly any probs 5 years.

I live with limited income and that's why I wanted get a ball park figure for each purchasing option.
Prebuilt vs Self build.

Will post more information on my wants if needed.

Read the OP, fill out the survey - but you're not going to get the answers you probably want if your total budget is $400

kennah

NoRéN;91333225 said:
And prebuilt carries a higher cost.

I just did a google image search to come up with some sort of appropriate image to reply to this with. Like something with men in robes, something to imply that your soul was the cost.

I... wound up going to places that I didn't want to go, so I'm.. .just gonna go
ly

dow

Screw it. Bought the Seasonic SS-660XP2 for 99. I went ahead and signed up for the 30 day ShopRunner whatever trial, so free 2-day shipping! I just need to make sure I cancel in 30 days else I get charged $79.

My computer parts are all now ordered except a GPU. I'll be rocking my boring 6870 until I good deal on a card comes up. At this point, I'll take a good deal on any better card.

Exuro

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black

Graphics cards, up to 310mm in length, when 2 HDD slots (1 HDD hanging bracket total) are removed (Graphics cards longer than 170 mm will conflict with PSUs longer than 160mm)

Basically everything on the market if you have a PSU that doesn't block the card. I have a GTX 770 DCU2 (~27 cm) in mine and there's several centimeters to spare.
I see. Question 2. For this htpc build I don't need anything crazy. I'm thinking around $150 for the best card that will fit/be quiet. What are my options?

jfoul

I see. Question 2. For this htpc build I don't need anything crazy. I'm thinking around $150 for the best card that will fit/be quiet. What are my options?

Radeon R9 270 (Vanilla) is around $179, and most of them are around 256mm long.

Exuro

Pretty much anything would run this and that.
Right, I guess I'd rather not go for overkill and find something that balances it out. Newegg specs are saying 500w which seems high but I'll look around for a modular psu. Gotta make it tidy.

Then that'll be the cpu, gpu, psu, mobo. Then I'll need to find a good deal on an ssd, hdd and external bluray drive and I should be set, other than getting software and the kbm.

Radeon R9 270 (Vanilla) is around $179, and most of them are around 256mm long.
Hmm I might do this too if I can find a good deal.

kennah

Right, I guess I'd rather not go for overkill and find something that balances it out. Newegg specs are saying 500w which seems high but I'll look around for a modular psu. Gotta make it tidy.

Then that'll be the cpu, gpu, psu, mobo. Then I'll need to find a good deal on an ssd, hdd and external bluray drive and I should be set, other than getting software and the kbm.

Keep your eyes open for one of the ones in the OP going on sale. They're all vetted for reliability.

ejeezy24

Neo Member
Hey guys Im thinking about upgrading to a 1440p monitor. I primarily play bf4 and would like to able to run it smoothly on ultra settings at 1440. I currently have a zotac gtx 670 2gb. and a i7 3770k. Would you recommend getting another 670 or maybe trying to sell my 670 and upgrade to a single 290x or 780?

Barzul

Hey guys Im thinking about upgrading to a 1440p monitor. I primarily play bf4 and would like to able to run it smoothly on ultra settings at 1440. I currently have a zotac gtx 670 2gb. and a i7 3770k. Would you recommend getting another 670 or maybe trying to sell my 670 and upgrade to a single 290x or 780?

I'd go with the 780 or 290x.

wp_20131125_002p0bec.jpg

I can't handle all the pixels

thespot84

Glad I didn't wait and jumped on the i7 4770k when I did for $199. The manager at Micro Center said they were losing close to $100 a processor. The plan to offset the loss by getting people to buy components for a full build failed.

likewise. Think they'll let me use the week old purchase to get a few more bucks off the gigabyte UD4H mobo? lol

So, after 4 days Staples finally refunded me my $400 for ther i7 4770k I canceled. I was about to ready to tack that onto my BBB complaint. Not that they care---they never responded to my last email, and they have yet to respond to my BBB complaint. It does amuse me that the i7 4770k is completely de-listed at Staples.com now. No more "Out of Stock". Just gone. I'm guessing a lot of people complained.

Anton668

Your fans are on backwards on your NH-D14. Right now they push the air to the right but the rear case fan pulls air to the left. Don't know if you want to do a re-mount but the noctua symbol is also upside down.

even though nobody might ever see it, my OCD wouldnt allow me to leave it like that! lol

but yeah... fans be facing the wrong way yo!

Glad I didn't wait and jumped on the i7 4770k when I did for $199. The manager at Micro Center said they were losing close to $100 a processor. The plan to offset the loss by getting people to buy components for a full build failed.

And I am still mad I didn't jump on it right away. What I get for assuming it was an all the way to black Friday deal.

STUPID AMAZING DEAL ALERT FOR THE US
Seasonic Platinum 660W - $99.99, $79.99 after MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...112513-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17151121-L014D

PROMO CODE: EMCWWVR42

Welp, that makes my PSU decision for me. Glad I've been fumbling over the MB choice for the past few days and still can't make up my mind on that or I would have already gotten a different one for more money.

No closer to deciding between the Sniper, Gene, and now even the Gryphon though.

Anton668

them microcenter ads hurt my brain.

the top one says, instant, $30 MIR, and bundle discount for $69. yet the buy it separate price is $99. so... the instant and bundle savings is $0?!?!?!?!

out of the 3 it seems the MSI MB is the only one with any actual savings...

Prodigal

Banned
Do you guys think my old PSU would run a 780GTX along with my i-2500k and 8 gigs ram? I'm currently using a 560GTX Ti and it's beginning to show its age.

I have 2 gigabyte 2gb 670's OC edition. I have no idea how to overclock them, or whether I actually should, so does anyone have any advice or tips on getting into overclocking GPU's. I think I could do with a few extra fps on certain games, so any advice would be appreciated.

I just replaced my stock intel cpu cooler with a Noctua nh-d14 and I noticed the fan speed isn't variable like it was with the old fan. I've got it plugged directly into the motherboard just like I did with the previous fan but it runs at full blast all the time.

I've got an Asrock motherboard (H77 Pro4/MVP) and in the BIOS there are settings for Target CPU Temperature but the only fan that seems to actually change with that setting is the front case fan, with the top-rear case fan and CPU fan being unaffected.

I've only built one PC in my life so I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom