• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setsuna

Question: I have a Corsair Ax760 and a Gtx 780 and was wondering which cables should i use to power it?

Currently I'm using two separate 6+2 cables, but I also have the option of using one cable that separates into two 6+2 pins. Is there any downsides to either one of them? and if so, which one should i be using?

Clott

PC wizard gaf to the rescue? I need some knowledge.

On my PC I will be working on and storing lots of media, red code to be specific. I have raids set up but I want to have one damn good internal drive to offset some media if we choose to. I was looking at this drive.

Seagate Constellation

But it's an SAS drive, and my motherboard says nothing in the cpecs about supporting sas, the motherboard happens to be this one.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition

Any ideas guys?

Newline

Hey guys. My work colleague is in the market for a new PC and he 100% wants a decent 3D rig that can play 1080p games at 60fps 3D (120fps) on medium settings.

So I put this build together for him:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/aYrBourne/saved/2WlI
As long as the build stays below £2k he'll be happy but cheaper the better ofcourse!

He'll be purchasing the parts this friday, can anyone offer any adjustments / suggestions?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $217.49)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.78 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $288.40)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 47.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($8.03 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Mwave)
Keyboard: Logitech MK520 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($39.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $1099.51
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-26 11:19 EST-0500)

Anything here that is unlikely to drop more than 5% during BF/CM? They've got that newegg code for 5% off your entire purchase but it's only from 8Am to 8PM today and can only be used once. Thinking I'll probably drop it on the case and the wireless card. WOuld've probably thrown in the memory too if that wasn't OOS already :( Really hope it's back by CM.

Also heads up, CORSAIR RM750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply will be going on newegg's shell shocker sale at 4PM EST. If it's $70 or less I'll probs jump on this.

Maddocks

I need a new desktop and I narrowed it down to two. I know a lot of people might say build it yourself, but pressed for time and I'm kinda impatient and if it doesn't start up when I press power I'll feel bad.

The first option is a Digital Storm Vanquish level 4:
- NVIDIA GTX 770 2GB
- Intel Core i5 4670K CPU
- 8GB 1600MHz Memory
- Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
- 120GB Corsair Neutron GTX SSD
- 1TB 7200RPM HDD
- ASUS Z87 Chipset Motherboard
- 600W Corsair CX Power Supply
- DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
- Microsoft Windows 7
Price - $1,369

The other is cyber power pc stealth reaper:
4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4670K processor
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
16GB DDR3 SDRAM
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
2TB Serial ATA III hard drive (7200 rpm)
Along with a 120GB solid state drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 graphics
4 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0 ports
Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit operating system preinstalled
price - $1,169.99

What's the better choice in both. Personally I'm leaning towards the digital storm because they test it for 72 hours and offer a better warranty. Cyber seems to only put it together, turn it on then ship it.

Computers to me are not something I upgrade every 3 years, this is something I want to not have to upgrade unless it's demanded every 6 years.

Help me out please.

RedSwirl

Can somebody help me understand how the numbering of the R9 GPUs works out? Which ones are mid-range versus high-range? What is the GTX equivalent of each one?

mkenyon

Banned
PC wizard gaf to the rescue? I need some knowledge.

On my PC I will be working on and storing lots of media, red code to be specific. I have raids set up but I want to have one damn good internal drive to offset some media if we choose to. I was looking at this drive.

Seagate Constellation

But it's an SAS drive, and my motherboard says nothing in the cpecs about supporting sas, the motherboard happens to be this one.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition

Any ideas guys?
Get a WD RE4.
Hey guys. My work colleague is in the market for a new PC and he 100% wants a decent 3D rig that can play 1080p games at 60fps 3D (120fps) on medium settings.

So I put this build together for him:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/aYrBourne/saved/2WlI
As long as the build stays below £2k he'll be happy but cheaper the better ofcourse!

He'll be purchasing the parts this friday, can anyone offer any adjustments / suggestions?
I'd look at swapping out the PSU for something suggested in the OP. The case is subjective, so he might really like the 500R, but again, I'd suggest something else in the OP. Swap the Deathadder for a Steelseries Rival. Possibly the BenQ for the ASUS VG278H, but not if it costs more across the pond. You also need a heatsink.
Can somebody help me understand how the numbering of the R9 GPUs works out? Which ones are mid-range versus high-range? What is the GTX equivalent of each one?
The bigger numbers are better. 290 and 290x are the actual new cards. 280x is a rebranded 7970 GHz. The $400-550 are high end. The $200-$300 parts are mid-range.
Help me out please.
Any chance you are based in LA, Toronto, or the Pacific NW?

If the answer to that is no, then the Digital Storm. I've heard a lot of positive things about their customer service.

Kingbrave

I meant to ask this the other day. Is there anything I need to do such as stress test or something like that after putting in a new power supply?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
If you right click on the taskbar and go to navigation then click on when I sign in blah blah it will take you directly to desktop after booting up.
Thanks, will try this at home. At least the OS is fast, which is good; and I finally learned where the power off button is...

Hey guys, any kind souls want to give some basic advice?

I'm basically clueless when it comes to PC gaming, specs or components. My only experience is playing Dota for close to a year on a laptop. But I'm finally going to take the plunge and try to make a decent rig mainly for gaming and maybe some light video editing. A friend of mine is using this site to have his PC built and shipped over. He recommends I do the same because I don't know the first thing about assembly.

My goals are basically to be able to run semi-recent games on high and 60 fps with AA. I'm not looking to max out crysis 3 (is that a thing?) or anything but I'd also like to revisit some of my favourites from this gen like Dark Souls or Dead Rising 2.

Anyway I was wondering if anbody could help me out with regards to specs.

This is the rig my friend is ordering for himself from the that website and believes it will more than meet my standards. He says if I have the cash I should get the same.

Is it overkill? underpowered? If so where could I improve cost or performance?

The price is pretty steep for me and honestly I'd like to reduce it a bit so I could also order a decent monitor and keyboard as opposed to searching around for old ones. Any advice or tips would be hugely appreciated.

thespot84

Hey guys, any kind souls want to give some basic advice?

I'm basically clueless when it comes to PC gaming, specs or components. My only experience is playing Dota for close to a year on a laptop. But I'm finally going to take the plunge and try to make a decent rig mainly for gaming and maybe some light video editing. A friend of mine is using this site to have his PC built and shipped over. He recommends I do the same because I don't know the first thing about assembly.

My goals are basically to be able to run semi-recent games on high and 60 fps with AA. I'm not looking to max out crysis 3 (is that a thing?) or anything but I'd also like to revisit some of my favourites from this gen like Dark Souls or Dead Rising 2.

Anyway I was wondering if anbody could help me out with regards to specs.

This is the rig my friend is ordering for himself from the that website and believes it will more than meet my standards. He says if I have the cash I should get the same.

Is it overkill? underpowered? If so where could I improve cost or performance?

The price is pretty steep for me and honestly I'd like to reduce it a bit so I could also order a decent monitor and keyboard as opposed to searching around for old ones. Any advice or tips would be hugely appreciated.

I'm not sure on the AMD stuff but at least you'll be able to run VVVVVV at 60fps :D

mkenyon

Banned
I'm gonna let Kharma field that one if possible.

That's already pretty budget oriented. This is a hair less expensive, and will be much more upgradable. With the AM3+ socket, you're pretty much stuck with what is already out. They're not releasing an upgrade to Vishera next year, and word is they might be entirely scrapping it.

*edit*

Also, I'm gonna be pretty blunt here. That build looks like the Reddit build. In my two month absence, I spent a ton of time on /r/BuildAPC, /r/masterrace, and /r/gamingpc. There's a few people there that really know their shit, but by and large, their recommended builds are trash. They base a lot of their suggestions on horrible benchmarks and perceived value "OMG 6 CORES AMD vs TWO CORES INTEL". The general community there is very immature, which had led to a sort of echo chamber where the overt assholes have gotten their way.

tl;dr, the OP here was formed by a lot of people talking back and forth with different opinions and is honestly the best one on the internet. I think it's better than TechReport's even.

So I guess it's safe to assume that the R9 290 after market coolers aren't coming out this week (being the last week of Nov.)?

Other rumors have it at 2nd week of December. Some are even saying Jan - Feb! This is irritating! Why would AMD do this?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
wp_20131125_002p0bec.jpg

I can't handle all the pixels

SON, COME BACK AND FIX THOSE FANS NOW!!!!

mkenyon

Banned
So I guess it's safe to assume that the R9 290 after market coolers aren't coming out this week (being the last week of Nov.)?

Other rumors have it at 2nd week of December. Some are even saying Jan - Feb! This is irritating! Why would AMD do this?
What are you talking about? After market coolers are already available that run 100% silent while giving insanely good temperatures.

:p

Hate to be a bother by reposting, but my old card is busted so I need to get a new one soon.

---

What's the best $300(ish) I could spend on a GPU right now? I built a system around this time last year, and I'm really happy with everything in it, but I got a 7770 because that's all I could afford at the time. I can still run most things really well but I'm starting to run into limits with the newest games.

I have had problems with Radeon cards in the past, so I'm thinking about going Nvidia this time around unless a Radeon can offer significantly more performance for the money. Plus I am really intrigued by ShadowPlay.

ejeezy24

Neo Member
Would a 2gb Gtx 670 sli setup be good enough play newer games at 1440p 60fps ultra settings? Or would it make more sense to get a single card with more Vram? I play mostly bf4

mkenyon

Banned
All things being equal, is there any reason at this point to go Haswell 4770k over an i7 4820k on Ivy?
All things aren't equal.

You'll end up wanting 4 DIMMs of memory with a 4820, and you need a more expensive motherboard. The baseline X79 motherboards aren't as feature rich as comparatively priced Z87 motherboards, outside of more PCI-E lanes (40 vs 16) and quad channel memory.

Go X79 on ATX/EATX if you're looking to build a system with tons of expansion, possible 2/3 way xfire/SLI, or do multimedia editing.

Go Z87 on mATX or ITX if you're looking to build a great, quiet system with a single card.

That's the way I see it, personally.

jfoul

Hate to be a bother by reposting, but my old card is busted so I need to get a new one soon.

---

What's the best $300(ish) I could spend on a GPU right now? I built a system around this time last year, and I'm really happy with everything in it, but I got a 7770 because that's all I could afford at the time. I can still run most things really well but I'm starting to run into limits with the newest games.

I have had problems with Radeon cards in the past, so I'm thinking about going Nvidia this time around unless a Radeon can offer significantly more performance for the money. Plus I am really intrigued by ShadowPlay.

Geforce GTX 770, Radeon 280x or 7970 GHZ.

kharma45

the sniper 8gb is also $52 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

It's (11-11-11-30)

and the ripjaws are (10-12-12-31)

Which should i go for? (i7 4770 and the Gigabyte UD3H/4H or MSI G45 as mentioned above)

EDIT: didn't want it to sell out and bought the sniper, seems like the modules are a tad bit shorter and i think it's a little newer.

Just get whatever is cheapest.

All things being equal, is there any reason at this point to go Haswell 4770k over an i7 4820k on Ivy?

Emulation on Haswell is better.

So whats the story with the MSI G-45 Gaming, is that a relatively good board, especially for some beginner overclocking?

Or should I go with the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H? What's the difference between that and the D3H?

Sorry, have twenty minutes or so to get the parts order in on Amazon and I'm hoping to make it for delivery tomorrow.

Edit: I got the answers I need. Looks like the UD3H should be the board to go with. I trust Gigabyte as I'm coming from that now.

I've been leaning towards the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, but are any of the Asus motherboards on sale today worth considering?

Asus Z87-A ($114.99 after $30 rebate)

Asus Z87-Pro(V Edition)($139.99 after $30 rebate)
(Same as the Pro minus WiFi and bluetooth)

Asus Z87-Plus($144.99)

I'd be interested to know about this as well...

----

I'm starting to get fucking pumped. My first Intel machine incoming, so far the damage today:

Corsair 300R
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Seasonic SS-660XP2
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2x4 DDr3 2133
i5 4670k

Now all I need is to figure out what board I want to go with. Almost went with the MSI G45 Gaming, then the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, then the ASUS Z87 Plus, but I wasn't comfortable going all in just to get my board by tomorrow. Since stuff will be arriving at various times I have some time to wait anyway. Coming from a Phenom II, I just can't imagine the feels. I'm super pumped to have a machine that will last me a good bit.

Already have a Galaxy 670 OC waiting, but part of me wonders if that is too old already :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom