• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton668

skullcandy??? seriously???

headphones(sets) comes down to how much are you willing to spend and how much of a audiophile are you.

for awhile it was considered anything less than $100 is crap. though now there are a few decent sets for a lil less. again its all subjective. hell, some ppl can run out to wally world and buy the cheapest set they can find and live happy. others start talking about $500 cans and wont accept less lol

^
i'd rather use walki talki if possible :p

sadly, if i want to buy a headset, it wont cross $35 limit if it's really the best one at this range of price -the above choices are at this limit or less-
if i wanna pay more, i'd rather buy logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System + any good mic like zalman

Anton668

im confused. one line you state
5.1 home theater + zalman mic
surely your not buying a home theater system for $35????
yet you have a hard limit of $35 for a headset?
i must be missing something....

im confused. one line you state

surely your not buying a home theater system for $35????
yet you have a hard limit of $35 for a headset?
i must be missing something....

that would be $65 for 5.1
as for headstes, i dont wanna pay more that $35
if i bought a headset, i wont buy 5.1 any time soon, and vise versa

sorry for confusion -lack of sleeping-

i asked gigabyte bout this feature in UD5H and why it's not supported in UD3H & UD4H tho they have the same "Realtek ALC898 ":

Support for X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity and EAX Advanced HD 5.0 technologies

the answer is:

ince GA-Z87X-UD5H hardware supports Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity and EAX Advanced HD 5.0 technologies, it provides software and driver for this motherboard.

GA-Z87X-UD4H hardware is not support those feature so the driver and software may not work with GA-Z87X-UD4H

better late than never

bro1

Banned
Any reason not to go with a Corsair Carbide 300R over the 200R? 300R is actually cheaper on NewEgg at the moment($49.99 after $20 rebate).
I have the 300 and actually wish I went bigger. Great case though and love the fact that the mobo has built in mounting posts

bro1

Banned
ok guys, serious help !

i'm really confused bout the headset / sound system i may use
i really dont want to spend on this, but i know that i need it

so it's either buying a 5.1 home theater + zalman mic -nothing private, i can plug any earpods if needed- + i can use it for my gaming consoles

or buying a headset with mic , and thats that
for this option, i've some choices on mind, but dont know what to get:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/usb-headset-h540
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/8391

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/lowrider-navy-chrome

http://www.somic-elec.com/product/20121026/474.html

https://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/pc-headsets/ear-force-pla/343
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/pc-headsets/ear-force-z11/42
Check out mono price

I've been looking at the R9 line of cards for a while now and it seems the noise is a major issue.. I leave my PC on 24/7 and although it's not in our bedroom my wife dislikes the fan noise, I'd rather not put in something that's really loud (currently a Radeon 7770). Any suggestions? Is the R9 270 louder than my Radeon 7770?

kharma45

I've been looking at the R9 line of cards for a while now and it seems the noise is a major issue.. I leave my PC on 24/7 and although it's not in our bedroom my wife dislikes the fan noise, I'd rather not put in something that's really loud (currently a Radeon 7770). Any suggestions? Is the R9 270 louder than my Radeon 7770?

It'll all depend on the cooler you go for. The Asus DirectCU II is the quietest iirc.

ElementJJ

Banned
Got some bits laying around and I want to build a Living Room PC mainly for Racing Sims.

Spare parts
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
i7 3770
ATi HD5870 1GB
Kingston 2x2GB 1333Mhz Ram
Seasonic 620W Modular PSU

Parts to buy
Fractal Node 304
Coolermaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
Wheel stand Pro & G27

Any suggestions on Mouse an Keyboard? Looking to spend £50 combined really.

My TV is a Pioneer 4280XD (720p) so the GPU/RAM shouldnt be an issue. Plan to use Steam in big picture mode with a X360 pad and wireless receiver for offline multiplayer gaming.

Might clock that 3770 to 4Ghz too.

For Audio, I have a Yamaha AX1010 receiver connected to B&W DM602S2 bookshelf's and M1 surrounds and a PV1 sub. Will take HDMI straight from the GPU to Receiver for Audio/Video signal.

kennah

Got some bits laying around and I want to build a Living Room PC mainly for Racing Sims.

Spare parts
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
i7 3770
ATi HD5870 1GB
Kingston 2x2GB 1333Mhz Ram
Seasonic 620W Modular PSU

Parts to buy
Fractal Node 304
Coolermaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
Wheel stand Pro & G27

Any suggestions on Mouse an Keyboard? Looking to spend £50 combined really.

My TV is a Pioneer 4280XD (720p) so the GPU/RAM shouldnt be an issue. Plan to use Steam in big picture mode with a X360 pad and wireless receiver for offline multiplayer gaming.

Might clock that 3770 to 4Ghz too.

For Audio, I have a Yamaha AX1010 receiver connected to B&W DM602S2 bookshelf's and M1 surrounds and a PV1 sub. Will take HDMI straight from the GPU to Receiver for Audio/Video signal.

Hell of a list of spare parts. Unless that is a K series processor I wouldn't risk overclocking it.

PC GAF, I need this settled once and for all.

Is my Corsair HX520W enough for Radeon R9 290 in the following rig:

ASUS Z87 PRO
Intel Core i5 4670K (nonOC for now, will OC later)
XFX Radeon 7850 Black Edition (975/1250) ---> this one goes out, R9 290 goes in.
Noctua NH-D14 (two stock fans)
8GB RAM (possible future upgrade to 16GB)
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
WD WD10EZEX, 1TB SATA III HDD
ASUS DVDRW
Antec P183 with 2 case vents (80mm, the ones that came with the case).

I haven't seen any specific R9 290 power req, only this:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_r9_290_review_benchmarks,10.html

Power consumption AMD Radeon R9-290

System in IDLE = 128W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 372W
Difference (GPU load) = 244W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 254 Watts

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

AMD R9 290 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.

&

The HX520W is a very efficient power supply and was one of the best when it came out:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article692-page4.html

518.9W maximum DC output, putting it at 81.3% efficiency (if I'm reading this correctly).

Am I reading this OK? Or should I look at the 12V rails? (it's 40A for 520W).

I need to know will this work OK long term because I don't have the money to buy a R9 290 and a new PSU right now.
If not, I would have to save until sometime next year and get a 750W+ PSU to future-proof my rig's power requirements.

Help... :/

AmyS

Knights Landing CPU Speculation

November 18, 2013 by David Kanter
What’s Inside Knights Landing?

Intel’s throughput computing program has a long and tortured history. Larrabee was initially conceived as both a discrete GPU, using a software rasterizer, and an HPC-focused accelerator. In theory, this offers the advantage of tapping into a relatively high volume market (discrete graphics), while protecting Intel’s HPC business and capturing the high margins in that market. The reality worked out quite differently; Intel significantly underestimated the complexity of the software stack for graphics. The first Larrabee product was cancelled, largely because it simply wasn’t competitive with contemporary offerings from AMD and Nvidia.

At this point, Intel retargeted the entire program to focus solely on HPC – which nearly disrupted the entire roadmap for mainstream x86 processors. Originally, Larrabee was intended to provide the integrated graphics for Haswell; once that was out of scope, Intel needed a solution rather quickly. The integrated graphics team delivered a superb product to fill this gap in the roadmap, but it was a very near thing.

The first generation 45nm Larrabee was launched as an HPC development platform, known as Knights Ferry. The basis of Larrabee is a 4 threaded version of the P54C core, with 512-bit vector units and a new instruction set (LRBni). Knights Ferry tied 32 cores together using a ring interconnect similar to the one used in Sandy Bridge. Knights Ferry was literally the same chip that was initially intended for graphics, and the double precision floating point performance was quite poor – but as a software development platform it was reasonably effective. The 32nm follow-on product was cancelled, as it was also more graphics focused and wouldn’t have been attractive to the computing market.

The first product to be released was the 22nm Knights Corner (KNC), which is marketed as Xeon Phi. Knights Corner is more tailored to the HPC market and boasted a number of improvements. For starters, the 512-bit vector ALU is capable of 8 double precision fused multiply-adds per cycle and the core count was increased to 62 (although some cores are disabled to improve yields and binning). In contrast, Knights Ferry had very poor double precision performance – a deal killer for HPC. Knights corner also overhauled nearly every aspect of the memory hierarchy. The data cache bandwidth doubled to 64B read and 64B write per cycle, the L2 capacity doubled to 512KB per core and a new 16 stream hardware prefetcher fills into the larger L2. Each core includes a new 64 entry L2 TLB and new streaming store instructions reduce bandwidth consumption. Knights Corner has an enhanced fabric design as well. The ring interconnect is composed of 4 main rings: request, snoop, acknowledgement, and a 64B data ring. The Knights Corner fabric replicates the rings for requests, snoops and acknowledgements to improve scalability for the large core count. Additionally, the GDDR5 memory controllers are evenly interleaved throughout the fabric to deliver more consistent bandwidth and avoid hot spots.

Knights Corner is a solid product and powers Tianhe-2, the world’s largest supercomputer. However, it still carries quite a bit of baggage from the original graphics emphasis of the Larrabee program. For example, Knights Corner still has texturing units, which are solely useful for graphics. They are disabled, but nonetheless consume die area and leakage power. The next generation Knights Landing is the first opportunity for Intel’s architects to return to the drawing board and focus exclusively on computing applications and is slated for introduction in late 2014.

There are many changes slated for Knights Landing that Intel has publicly disclosed. For starters, Knights Landing is manufactured on a 14nm process, which will share many characteristics with Intel’s 22nm FinFET process. While no significant changes are expected, the 14nm node should deliver a substantial increase in density and modest gains in power efficiency. Second, the instruction set is moving closer to the mainstream x86 CPUs. Specifically, rather than using the 512-bit vector instructions from Larrabee, Knights Landing uses AVX3 which will be compatible with the future Skylake core (Skylake is a 14nm descendent of Haswell). Knights Landing will also come as a bootable device, in contrast to Knights Corner which must be attached to an x86 server CPU via the PCI-E slot. Last, Intel disclosed that some variants of Knights Landing would use on-package eDRAM to increase bandwidth and power efficiency.

Overall though, Intel has been keeping many details under wraps for Knights Landing. Presumably, the performance will increase by around 2-3×, but critical details such as the microarchitecture of the core, the core count, and fabric are unknown. This series of articles will explore the possibilities for Knights Landing and estimate the most likely outcomes.

The rest, here and here

I wonder if future generations of Knights / Xeon Phi will be used in consumer / gamer products.

mkenyon

Banned
STUPID AMAZING DEAL ALERT FOR THE US
Seasonic Platinum 660W - $99.99, $79.99 after MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...112513-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17151121-L014D

PROMO CODE: EMCWWVR42

ok guys, serious help !

i'm really confused bout the headset / sound system i may use
i really dont want to spend on this, but i know that i need it

so it's either buying a 5.1 home theater + zalman mic -nothing private, i can plug any earpods if needed- + i can use it for my gaming consoles

or buying a headset with mic , and thats that
for this option, i've some choices on mind, but dont know what to get:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/usb-headset-h540
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/8391

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/lowrider-navy-chrome

http://www.somic-elec.com/product/20121026/474.html

https://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/pc-headsets/ear-force-pla/343
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/pc-headsets/ear-force-z11/42
Read the OP.
i asked gigabyte bout this feature in UD5H and why it's not supported in UD3H & UD4H tho they have the same "Realtek ALC898 ":

the answer is:

ince GA-Z87X-UD5H hardware supports Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity and EAX Advanced HD 5.0 technologies, it provides software and driver for this motherboard.

GA-Z87X-UD4H hardware is not support those feature so the driver and software may not work with GA-Z87X-UD4H

better late than never
Keep in mind the "support" is for virtualized surround through two channels.

novenD

PCGaf, I need your help.

I'm thinking of buying a new monitor and I found out that Newegg is selling the VE247H for 110 after rebates. It has great reviews, but I need to know if I'm better off spending 30 to 40 dollars more and picking up one of the recommended displays from the OP.
(Sorry for being a bother.)

zainetor

Banned
Not sure if a problem:
I was testing again, after some time my oc stability and my cpu keeps underclocking on prime95, after 20 minutes.
It stays 4,3, then drops to 3,4, then goes up again to 4,3 and this happens only after 20 minutes of stress testing. Every c-state options in the bios is disabled, even the speedstep.
Tried reflashing the bios, nothing changed. I tried to test it with Intel extreme tuning utility and it seems that it doesnt throttle, if I use that as a stress test: suggestions?

Config:
3570k oc 4,3
asrock pro4
psu coolermaster gold 700w.

So Canadian black friday flyers are starting to get leaked and this SSD was shown on TigerDirect.ca

SanDisk 256GB Ultra Plus Solid State Drive - $159.97

Any reason not to buy this one?

I was looking at Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $186.34 before.

I'm thinking i can buy a few part during this black friday/cybermonday.

mkenyon

Banned
Seling my Z77X-UP7 for $250 to GAF only if anyone is interested:

vI5XxXEh.jpg
Not sure if a problem:
I was testing again, after some time my oc stability and my cpu keeps underclocking on prime95, after 20 minutes.
It stays 4,3, then drops to 3,4, then goes up again to 4,3 and this happens only after 20 minutes of stress testing. Every c-state options in the bios is disabled, even the speedstep.
Tried reflashing the bios, nothing changed. I tried to test it with Intel extreme tuning utility and it seems that it doesnt throttle, if I use that as a stress test: suggestions?

Config:
3570k oc 4,3
asrock pro4
psu coolermaster gold 700w.
Is it at 4.3 without any stress on it?
So Canadian black friday flyers are starting to get leaked and this SSD was shown on TigerDirect.ca

SanDisk 256GB Ultra Plus Solid State Drive - $159.97

Any reason not to buy this one?

I was looking at Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $186.34 before.

I'm thinking i can buy a few part during this black friday/cybermonday.
Pretty good deal, not sure if I could pass that up.

zainetor

Banned
That does seem a bit odd. What are the temps when it throttles? Volts?

v core is about 1.280 and core temperatures range from 75/83. when it drops is: cores 65c and v core 1.120

Could it be psu related? I hope not. Honestly I dont remember if it was like this before, with my old gs700 psu.

Dumb question: Looking for a high-density Flash drive, Not really pressed by the speed (USB2.0 or greater is fine) since I'll be using it as music and media backup, but I'd really, really like 256GB or greater.

When searching Amazon, the only results I get are all overpriced Kingston drives. Searching eBay and the general internet I get results from a ton of manufacturers at reasonable prices, but many of whom sound shady.

Are these ~$100 512GB Flash drives on eBay legitimate? I could pay a few more bucks and get a PNY or something but I don't know any other brand other than Kingston.

synce

Anyone here have experience with APUs? I'm looking at the AMD A10-6800K (4.1ghz) for an upcoming mini-ITX build. It will be used for gaming, photoshop, encoding, etc. The benchmarks look good but there seem to be some quirks if you crossfire with a GPU... plus I'm hesitant to go with AMD after using Intel in all my previous builds. Looking for some input. Should I get it, something else, wait, etc.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
OK, Built a PC last thursday, never built one; specs: i5 4670k, GTX760 Twin Frozr 2GB GDDR5 OC (stupid name), MOBO MSI Z87-GD65, 120GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Green HDD, Corsair 200R case and Corsair CX600 power supply. Windows 8. 8 GB DDR3 Kingston value RAM.

Impressions:
Power: Runs everything I throw at it at max settings, it's awesome; love my new PC; in the past I always had to use medium to low settings, now I never worry about settings, max settings for life.

Speed: SSDs are fucking fast, love that too; it boots in like 8 seconds, if not less. Amazing.

OS: Windows 8 (8.1) is a fucking mess. What is a good hack for it so I can skip all the stupid metro stuff and have a proper start button? Everything is hidden, nothing is intuitive... hate it so far. Have been using it for 4 days now, and it's really bad.

Heat: Runs very cool, even on hot days playing games max setting, this thing never warms, it's amazing. I'm always scared of heat issues; and that's why I decided to get the GTX 760 instead of an R9 card.

Noise: Really quiet, I'm amazed, quieter than my netbook.

MOBO: It's really good, you can use the mouse on the bios (news for me), although the BIOS settings interface is a mess, really simple to build a PC; a lot of slots, it comes ready for SLI. The only thing I don't like is that the main power cable from the power supply doesn't have a clicking sound so I know it's plugged well; I don't know if this is a MOBO problem or Power Supply, but it was a very sensitive cable, and I had trouble the first time starting the PC. Now it is well placed and it works well. Came with 4 SATA connectors.

Graphics Card: Well, you can go and read reviews, it's a great affordable card; one thing I like is that you get sound from the HDMI connector; I didn't know graphics card did that, but it's great to have less cables.

Case: I LOVE this case, it's awesome, very big, has 4 bays for 2.5'' HDDs and 4 bays for 3.5'' HDDs; I put an old HDD from a Notebook that exploded there, worked very well and I was able to retrieve some old photos. The only thing I would like the case to have that doesn't is a volume control or something, but when I get a better keyboard (have a Microsoft stock shitty KB) it will have volume control. Awesome case, very cheap, it comes with a fan directly over the graphics card and another on top. Recommended.

Power Supply: Not as good as I hoped; it doesn't come with a power cable (SMH), thankfully I had an old cable around. But still everyone says it is a very reliable power supply, so I guess that's that.

Future proof? Yes, in the future, I can buy another GTX 760 and do SLI thing; and the processor is overclockable; so I should be fine for 6 or more years.

Got a 7.9 on windows experience. Pretty decent.

ElementJJ

Banned
Hell of a list of spare parts. Unless that is a K series processor I wouldn't risk overclocking it.

Lol, yeah used to work at Intel so got had some discounted goodies available.

Just finished my order, everything should arrive before the weekend! Excited.

Its not a K series chip but you can overclock the non-K chips to their maximum Turbo Multi for all cores without touching the bclk.

NoRéN

PCGaf, I need your help.

I'm thinking of buying a new monitor and I found out that Newegg is selling the VE247H for 110 after rebates. It has great reviews, but I need to know if I'm better off spending 30 to 40 dollars more and picking up one of the recommended displays from the OP.

Had ordered it online thinking it was from the OP. Had a previous email from newegg with the ASUS VS247H-P and thought this was it.

Other than the contrast ratio, they seem the same. Don't know if I should stick with it.

edit: also read that the VE24 series has ghosting issues. Any truth to that? Anyone have this monitor?

Barzul

OK, Built a PC last thursday, never built one; specs: i5 4670k, GTX760 Twin Frozr 2GB GDDR5 OC (stupid name), MOBO MSI Z87-GD65, 120GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Green HDD, Corsair 200R case and Corsair CX600 power supply. Windows 8. 8 GB DDR3 Kingston value RAM.

Impressions:
Power: Runs everything I throw at it at max settings, it's awesome; love my new PC; in the past I always had to use medium to low settings, now I never worry about settings, max settings for life.

Speed: SSDs are fucking fast, love that too; it boots in like 8 seconds, if not less. Amazing.

OS: Windows 8 (8.1) is a fucking mess. What is a good hack for it so I can skip all the stupid metro stuff and have a proper start button? Everything is hidden, nothing is intuitive... hate it so far. Have been using it for 4 days now, and it's really bad.

Heat: Runs very cool, even on hot days playing games max setting, this thing never warms, it's amazing. I'm always scared of heat issues; and that's why I decided to get the GTX 760 instead of an R9 card.

MOBO: It's really good, you can use the mouse on the bios (news for me), although the BIOS settings interface is a mess, really simple to build a PC; a lot of slots, it comes ready for SLI. The only thing I don't like is that the main power cable from the power supply doesn't have a clicking sound so I know it's plugged well; I don't know if this is a MOBO problem or Power Supply, but it was a very sensitive cable, and I had trouble the first time starting the PC. Now it is well placed and it works well. Came with 4 SATA connectors.

Graphics Card: Well, you can go and read reviews, it's a great affordable card; one thing I like is that you get sound from the HDMI connector; I didn't know graphics card did that, but it's great to have less cables.

Case: I LOVE this case, it's awesome, very big, has 4 bays for 2.5'' HDDs and 4 bays for 3.5'' HDDs; I put an old HDD from a Notebook that exploded there, worked very well and I was able to retrieve some old photos. The only thing I would like the case to have that doesn't is a volume control or something, but when I get a better keyboard (have a Microsoft stock shitty KB) it will have volume control. Awesome case, very cheap, it comes with a fan directly over the graphics card and another on top. Recommended.

Power Supply: Not as good as I hoped; it doesn't come with a power cable (SMH), thankfully I had an old cable around. But still everyone says it is a very reliable power supply, so I guess that's that.

Future proof? Yes, in the future, I can buy another GTX 760 and do SLI thing; and the processor is overclockable; so I should be fine for 6 or more years.

Metro isn't that bad once you get used to it. And it's much easier to get to the desktop now, I find myself dealing with that Ui less and less.

Kingbrave

Impressions:

If you right click on the taskbar and go to navigation then click on when I sign in blah blah it will take you directly to desktop after booting up.

I'm thinking about building GTX780ti rig. With pre-Black Friday deals start popping up early, should I take a bite now or should I wait until BF to do shopping? I don't know if high-end components usually get significant discount during BF

mkenyon

Banned
The stuff you see for good discounts on BF/CM are: SSDs, peripherals, and cases.

I've never seen a great deal on a processor, motherboard, or video card that couldn't be had for a similar price otherwise.

mkenyon

Banned
Well I made all the purchases today. I don't know if it was wise to do so with BF and CM right around the corner, but I got just about every item discounted. The actual damage is $1255. I just need an $82 dollar item to make it 1337 :p

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/aktham/saved/2TAr

Opinions?
Super solid.
Does anybody think any 120hz monitors will drop in price during Black Friday, or am I better off just picking this up now? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014350
Maybe, maybe not? No way to know right now.

The VG248QE is a bit better, IMO. It'll also have GSync modules available.

I'm thinking about building GTX780ti rig. With pre-Black Friday deals start popping up early, should I take a bite now or should I wait until BF to do shopping? I don't know if high-end components usually get significant discount during BF

If you want a 780 ti, and aren't holding out for something like the Classified, I'd get it now since the 780 ti game bundle is expiring tomorrow. No word if a new one will be announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom