• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Hm, this could be a major issue. What 780s are not running on piping? I was looking at the ASUS model but it clearly is. It looks like EVGA's ACX cooler modell, at the very least, also is. What would you recommend if I went with the FT03 fortress?
Reference design.
XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 99$
or
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 85$

Never really heard anything about EVGA and power supply, should i pay a bit more for XFX?
XFX for sure. The EVGA SuperNOVAs are very meh.
Second monitor and a 280x ordered. Whoo!
\m/
better than g600 ?
imo yes...
In terms of a precise sensor, no way, no how. Plus the G700 is a good deal heavier. It's a good mouse if you don't play competitive games, basically.

If you need something super precise, the Steelseries Rival is the best out there.
As I was looking up video cards, I completely forgot about water cooling my 580 since overheating is the issue.

I've always wanted to water cool my rig so now I have a reason to. That way, if everything turns out to be working fine, I can get some more life out of the card and wait until the next year's event cards come out.

Any recommendations for water cooling setups? Would complete kits be okay since I'm new with water cooling or would picking each part be better in the long run?
For starters, you're looking at $400-500 for a complete loop.

If you're still interested, I can walk you through the whole process. Need to know what case you have before moving ahead though.

You could also look at getting a cheaper aftermarket air cooler like the Arctic Cooling Accelero.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Building a non-gaming PC for my dad. I just found out he's been using a slow, hacked together slim case PC with the power supply hanging on the outside of the case. Time to upgrade him :)

Any changes for this build? He doesn't play games so I'm not getting a video card but he does do a fair bit of streaming and multi-tasking so I feel the Core i5 and 8 GB RAM are useful. The 120 GB SSD is more than enough hard drive space for him.

1) Would appreciate thoughts about the motherboard, I just picked a cheap, relatively well reviewed one on Newegg. Any worthwhile CPU + Mobo combo deals out there?

2) I was planning on ordering everything on Newegg and picking it up locally on Wednesday to build as I only have this week available for free time. Are there any anticipated good deals on Black Friday that would justify waiting until then? I'll probably order everything now just to have it in hand, then wait until Friday before building to see if anything good pops up

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
Mobo - ASUS H81M-A LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SSD - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Power - CORSAIR CXM series CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Case - SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E Black Aluminum front panel, steel body MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

+ Windows 7, ASUS DVD-RW drive

kharma45

Building a non-gaming PC for my dad. I just found out he's been using a slow, hacked together slim case PC with the power supply hanging on the outside of the case. Time to upgrade him :)

Any changes for this build? He doesn't play games so I'm not getting a video card but he does do a fair bit of streaming and multi-tasking so I feel the Core i5 and 8 GB RAM are useful. The 120 GB SSD is more than enough hard drive space for him.

1) Would appreciate thoughts about the motherboard, I just picked a cheap, relatively well reviewed one on Newegg. Any worthwhile CPU + Mobo combo deals out there?

2) I was planning on ordering everything on Newegg and picking it up locally on Wednesday to build as I only have this week available for free time. Are there any anticipated good deals on Black Friday that would justify waiting until then? I'll probably order everything now just to have it in hand, then wait until Friday before building to see if anything good pops up

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
Mobo - ASUS H81M-A LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SSD - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Power - CORSAIR CXM series CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Case - SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E Black Aluminum front panel, steel body MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

+ Windows 7, ASUS DVD-RW drive

An i3 would honestly be enough.

Thorgal

I would like an opinion whether or not this is considered a good road map for my upgrade plan:

I buy a 780 TI with 6GB as soon as those are out Along with a new PSU that is wholly overkill for one card (800 w ).

Then next year Buy a second one to run in SLI. (unless a card comes out by then who is stronger then both combined and at a reasonable price )

What do you think ?

Anyone ?

Also on the noise level argument . it is true that having a loud card does not bother me because i can wear headphones or crank up the sound of my speakers .

But since my PC stands in the living room it can become irritating to family members.

So for me at least . A card that runs relatively quiet is vital for me.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's a shame you can't run Skyrim in 120hz due to the physic engine bug (not that I have a 120hz monitor anyway, but I wanted to see it someday lol)

synce

A little help please... what's the most power you can pack into something like this today?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154091

I've never built anything but full size rigs, and that was years ago. Now I'm trying to build something relatively portable and tiny (no bigger than 12" length) that can at least run games better than my current laptop (i7 2760/gtx 560m generally does 720p on high). SSD and lots of RAM is also necessary for my photoshop work. Any input is welcome

Aranath

How are Nvidia when it comes to missing free game bundles by a couple of days?

I was planning on picking up a 780 this week and getting the games bundle, but I see it ends on Tuesday. If I had to miss it by a day or two, do you think customer support would help me out if I had proof of purchase?

Get an SSD as your OS/app drive then a 1TB external for media and other shit.

Can you guys check how I can improve this build? Or get a cheaper version :\

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cuevas/saved/2V94
Code:
CPU	        Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core	 Combo or $239.99
CPU Cooler	Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid	 $54.99
Motherboard	Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC ATX LGA1150	 Combo or $154.49
Memory	Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600	 $149.99
Storage	Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD	 $173.56
                Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM	 $84.79
Video Card	Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB	 $379.99
Case       	Antec GX700 ATX Mid Tower	 $19.99
Power Supply	Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V	 $84.78

kharma45

Can you guys check how I can improve this build? Or get a cheaper version :\

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cuevas/saved/2V94
Code:
CPU	        Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core	 Combo or $239.99
CPU Cooler	Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid	 $54.99
Motherboard	Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC ATX LGA1150	 Combo or $154.49
Memory	Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600	 $149.99
Storage	Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD	 $173.56
                Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM	 $84.79
Video Card	Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB	 $379.99
Case       	Antec GX700 ATX Mid Tower	 $19.99
Power Supply	Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V	 $84.78

If emulation is important then we can stick with Haswell. Unless you're doing video editing you've no need for so much RAM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.79 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1160.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-24 18:27 EST-0500)

Ivy Bridge makes it cheaper again

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.79 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1107.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-24 18:28 EST-0500)

Swapping to a 280X would save another $65 on each http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202061

I hope laptop questions are ok in this thread, I know there's another laptop thread but it's much less popular than this one.

Supposedly Best Buy is doing deals on Toshiba laptops today, including this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/satelli...st=toshiba-premium-laptops-ghp-1124&cp=1&lp=1

1080 resolution, 6GB Ram, 750HDD, looks nice, and has a haswell CPU. I don't but laptops with the intention of playing games on them, so anything that does run on them is just a cherry on top.

I just want it to be fast, responsive, able to handle media without issue, and work-related stuff. Haswell being in it is a plus because of battery life obviously.

Should I wait for deals later this week or just nab this now?

pretty much laptop questions get directed to the other thread...

Off I go then, thanks.

kharma45

Yes, get a 4670K so you can overclock. PSU you can do better too for the money (or less, XFX 550w is around $25 at the minute after rebate), and for $5 more you can get dual channel RAM.

I have a 2013 27-inch iMac (bootcamped with Windows 8.1)... how well can it run these games? Approximate FPS, resolution, and all of that good stuff would be great. I don't wanna buy games that don't perform that well, and I'd rather get current gen games here than on my 360/PS3/WiiU if possible. I'm just returning to PC gaming after a long time, so I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to specs anymore..

Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed 4
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Batman Arkham Origins

Mechazawa

Can you overclock the 4670k with the stock cooler? I wasn't planning on overclocking, but if it comes with a BIGHUEG gain...

I was actually thinking about swapping the Rosewill for an Antec PSU, but I was worried that 550w wouldn't be enough for a 280x. I also originally had the XFX in my cart, but it became out of stock.

Lum1n3s

Hello there PC Gaf, I have a question for today. I went to my local Micro Center today and noticed that they have the EVGA GTX660 TI 2GBon clearance for $149.99. I was thinking of possibly picking up 2 and putting them in SLI. Would this be worth it if I went ahead and did this, I heard some people on here claiming that their EVGA cards in SLI are doing well and outpace some of the cards currently out there. Is this true? Thanks in advance for any replies.

kharma45

Looked at the 280x, killed the 770 in benchmarks. Any reason NOT to get it?

Nope, it's a great card. You will lose out on some Nvidia stuff like Shadow Play, G Sync and easy down sampling but only you'll know if that stuff is important.

280X doesn't kill a 770 though, you sure it wasn't a 290X you looked at?

Can you overclock the 4670k with the stock cooler? I wasn't planning on overclocking, but if it comes with a BIGHUEG gain...

I was actually thinking about swapping the Rosewill for an Antec PSU, but I was worried that 550w wouldn't be enough for a 280x. I also originally had the XFX in my cart, but it became out of stock.

Yes but for the sake of $25 you might as well get a Hyper 212 and do it properly and get all kinds of gains. Talking 20%.

Antec PSU is good but this will save you $10 if you're happy with a rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

kharma45

Speaking of the 4670k, how much should you OC exactly? I set it to 4ghz and left it since I didn't have to raise the voltage.

4.2 is about the average, at very best usually 4.5GHz. All depends on the luck of the draw with your CPU. 4GHz is perfectly respectable without any voltage adjustment.

Mechazawa

For $20-25 for a CPU cooler, you can get like 20% improvement in CPU performance.

Nope, it's a great card. You will lose out on some Nvidia stuff like Shadow Play, G Sync and easy down sampling but only you'll know if that stuff is important.

Yes but for the sake of $25 you might as well get a Hyper 212 and do it properly and get all kinds of gains. Talking 20%.

Antec PSU is good but this will save you $10 if you're happy with a rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

Irobot82

Downsampling on AMD is easy again. I guess easy is relative though. The regedit thing is super easy to me and it lasts between drivers now.

What's the best $300(ish) I could spend on a GPU right now? I built a system around this time last year, and I'm really happy with everything in it, but I got a 7770 because that's all I could afford at the time. I can still run most things really well but I'm starting to run into limits with the newest games.

I have had problems with Radeon cards in the past, so I'm thinking about going Nvidia this time around unless a Radeon can offer significantly more performance for the money. Plus I am really intrigued by ShadowPlay.

Hey guys, planning on getting a new monitor sometime around Christmas. I discovered my current monitor won't let me downsample at all, so that's my main priority for my new one. I believe the Asus VH238H was recommended for a while around here. Is this a good choice? I'm good with 1080p for right now and I don't really need 120 Hz.

NoRéN

Hey guys, planning on getting a new monitor sometime around Christmas. I discovered my current monitor won't let me downsample at all, so that's my main priority for my new one. I believe the Asus VH238H was recommended for a while around here. Is this a good choice? I'm good with 1080p for right now and I don't really need 120 Hz.

get this one instead. $150 after promo code and it also has the $20 rebate. It's from the OP.

ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor

jfoul

The ASUS VS24AH-P (1920x1200) is a nice price for an IPS monitor.

ok guys, serious help !

i'm really confused bout the headset / sound system i may use
i really dont want to spend on this, but i know that i need it

so it's either buying a 5.1 home theater + zalman mic -nothing private, i can plug any earpods if needed- + i can use it for my gaming consoles

or buying a headset with mic , and thats that
for this option, i've some choices on mind, but dont know what to get:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/usb-headset-h540
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/8391

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/lowrider-navy-chrome

http://www.somic-elec.com/product/20121026/474.html

https://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/pc-headsets/ear-force-pla/343
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/pc-headsets/ear-force-z11/42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom