• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejeezy24

Neo Member
Anyone interested in a used gtx 670 2gb? $200. Would also be willing to trade + cash for a similar card with more Vram. need dat Vram for 1440

Newegg has the Fractal Arc Midi R2 for $50 w/ free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-352-031

Also, if you dropped your 4770K to a 4670K, added in a GTX 780, you'd be better off. That's a hair over the $50 though. I'd say R9-290, but those really need some non-reference coolers.

Aren't those 200 more? Or just bite the bullet and get a better cooler too? I can afford it if it's really worth an extra 200

mkenyon

Banned
My math:

$50 extra + $100 savings on proc = $150 to play with.

That'd put you $50 shy of the 780, $50 over the 290, but the 290 doesn't have non-reference coolers yet.

My math:

$50 extra + $100 savings on proc = $150 to play with.

That'd put you $50 shy of the 780, $50 over the 290, but the 290 doesn't have non-reference coolers yet.

I think i would only save 50 because I'm getting the processor for 250.

But forget about that, is spending 200 more on a video card worth it right now? I think the i7 is worth is because I won't have to upgrade for a long time.

In all honesty, I think he might be fine with an i5 rig with a big HDD (1TB minimum), at least 8GB of RAM, and a workstation graphics card, but I'm not familiar enough with any of that stuff to be certain.

That's what I was thinking but it's the workstation graphics cards where I'm out of my depth.

I'd like to order ASAP. I just got a $170 coupon to Staples due to my BBB complaint. They dont have a wide selection of cards, but a GPU is only remaining piece I need. What should I buy between 200 -350?

thespot84

since the case I'm looking at can take a 240mm top mounted radiator, any reason not to pick up the corsair H100i for my 4770k?

EDIT: the refurb at corsair for $60 to be exact

grottomatic

Neo Member
since the case I'm looking at can take a 240mm top mounted radiator, any reason not to pick up the corsair H100i for my 4770k?

EDIT: the refurb at corsair for $60 to be exact

Thats a good deal, love mine but paid more. Probably equal to slightly worse (1 or 2 degrees) to top line air cooling (some will disagree but I believe that is what benchmarking has shown) but leaves a ton of room on top of your motherboard which is nice when you have an itx board like I do. Also quiet although the H100 is louder than many closed loop systems.

My chip (4670k) stays around 70-75C (quoting from memory) at 4.2ghz under prime, higher under intel burn obviously.

Opiate

I've never seen much out of them on either Cyber Monday or Black Friday. Mostly old stock they discount heavily, maybe a good deal on a keyboard, mouse, or SSD.

Well, I did just get 16GBs of G.Skill Xrippers for 99.99, which I'm pretty happy about.

Li Kao

Mmh, I have a question for you guys. I'm beginning to think it will soon be the time for a GPU change. I have a 560ti and while still totally capable, I don't have much faith in it for the future.
Buttttt... at the time of purchase, it was in a pre-built config with a Cooler Master Silencio, and the reviews said that while the Silencio was a nice tower there was doubt about it being able to hold a more powerful card. I would think it was for heat reasons but I can't recall exactly.
So, will I be able to put a 780 / 780ti in such a tower without triggering a nuclear fusion ? And power supply-wise ? I have an Antec HCG 520w. Will it be enough ?

It's early thoughts here, nothing soon, but well, tempting.

thespot84

Chapter 1: i5 4670k in-house. Now, the waiting game begins. UGH.

been on my desk for a week lol:
IgOBhIY.jpg

Crub

I'm thinking about buying some new fans to improve the airflow in my case. One of my intake fans is attached to the radiator of my CPU cooler. In balancing the intake and exhaust should it be accounted for or can it be neglected?

NoRéN;91549990 said:
Newegg 10% code NAFSM1127

PowerColor HD 7950 3GB for $180

any good? no game bundle though.

OOS now.

I managed to order it. Hard to beat $162 out of pocket and having a $30 mail in rebate to send in too. After dumping the old card for ~$50, it'll be about $80 for the upgrade.

I'm upgrading from a 6850 driving a shitty 1280x1024 monitor to this card driving a Qnix 27" 1440p monitor (in transit to me now). I imagine it'll be like seeing for the very first time.

mkenyon

Banned
Asus is going to make a ROG GTX 760 that is tested to be faster than a Titan. It will feature 4GB of ram and has two 760 chips on the same PCB.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-rog-mars-760-dual-gpu,25168.html
And you need SLI profiles, yada yada yada. Rule of thumb, don't SLI when the performance is possible with a single GPU.

It's also not 4GB of RAM, it's 2GB. Each GPU gets it's own set of 2GB memory, so it's not doubled.
Well, I did just get 16GBs of G.Skill Xrippers for 99.99, which I'm pretty happy about.
Yeahhhh, but that kind of deal can be found weekly. :p

The thing I will confess is I passed on a SSD for NOW. I plan to get one in the coming months, but I destroyed my initial budget and already have a few big drives I will use in the meantime. And when the time is right I'll put down some cash for a decent-sized SSD to speed things up.

So I recently borrowed a dell 2408wfp and got it calibrated with a Spyder so the colors seem to look decent enough but the screen itself is quite dirty. Any tips on how to clean it? Not sure how to explain exactly, kind of looks like blur lines. Screen itself is still very sharp and all that.

thespot84

sorry ejeezy I picked up the 770. Couldn't help myself

As for microcenter black friday, if you already bought a 4670 or 4770 from them in the last week or so you can still get the $129 (incl $20 rebate) Gigabyte Z87 UD4H. You have to go in and they'll return and recharge the CPU on the same ticket (same price) and that will trigger the deal on the mobo, just FYI.

EDIT: Here's where I ended up, just need to order the case:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($65.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($140.00)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($52.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($310.00)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($125.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) ($69.99)
Total: $1058.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-27 19:01 EST-0500)

I get this compatibility note:
G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory operating voltage of 1.6V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

Is it a big deal?

mkenyon

Banned
So I recently borrowed a dell 2408wfp and got it calibrated with a Spyder so the colors seem to look decent enough but the screen itself is quite dirty. Any tips on how to clean it? Not sure how to explain exactly, kind of looks like blur lines. Screen itself is still very sharp and all that.
Is it when there is something going on, like in gaming or cursor movement?

NoRéN

Are there any good SSD deals for $150-100 USD that have been leaked or announced?

There will be a few. Last year the cheapest I saw was for a kingston for $135. $150 for 240-156gb seemed to be the going rate. There's been deals for 256gb ssd for $150 already so I'm sure some good deals will show up again.

Hoping for an Evo for $150 myself.

Is it when there is something going on, like in gaming or cursor movement?

No, it's just something constant. Seems to be no damage to the monitor, colors look great, sharp, etc so I imagine it should be something that is cleanable.

Edit: Suppose I should clarify that it looks more like a smudge than a line.

thespot84

NoRéN;91567378 said:
There will be a few. Last year the cheapest I saw was for a kingston for $135. $150 for 240-156gb seemed to be the going rate. There's been deals for 256gb ssd for $150 already so I'm sure some good deals will show up again.

Hoping for an Evo for $150 myself.

is there anything to keep an eye out for with SSD's that make one better/worse than another?

kamspy

Have

AMD 1100t
GTX 680 with crazy good OC

Want

CPU+Mobo combo. Will AMD's 8 core pay dividends with next gen ports? What would be a price comparable Intel set up compared to the top end AMD CPU + Mobo (around $250 -$300 for the set).? and what are the perf differences like? Is the Intel only superior in games with poor multithreading?

Red

Hopefully this is a good place to ask... A bit of a niche problem considering the ethos of the thread:

I'm looking for a suitable writing machine. I need something as cheap as possible so I'm not looking for any serious performance (I have an SSD I can install to boost speed if necessary). Something portable. The only requirement is that it have a decent screen (preferably 1920x1080/1200). OS is not an issue as I will probably be installing a Linux distro. Any suggestions? I am thinking Chromebooks might be the way to go in this situation. I have a decent desktop but my only portable computers are an iPhone+iPad, and I'd like something more robust.

rrs

Hopefully this is a good place to ask... A bit of a niche problem considering the ethos of the thread:

SNIP.

Find a used ThinkPad, I'll go get some specific models to look out for. Those keyboards are like heaven, and will be great for writing anything really.

However, with linux I'd say to avoid a 1080p screen with a smaller laptop, otherwise the DPI will be way too high for anything. Do note that newer ThinkPads have still good keyboards but not as good as the classic ones.

Any size you are looking at?

ezekial45

Banned
Hello, hello! I really need some advice. How's this build looking? Any incompatibilities? I know about Pcpartpicker, but I saw a Newegg deal for the MoBo and RAM, but they aren't listed on the site.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL - Water/Liquid CPU Cooling System
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III
HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
Video Card: MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

I've got some questions;

1. Am I missing anything? Besides the case, monitor, keyboard, mouse. Do I need a sound card or something?
2. How is Windows 7 holding up? I heard a lot of people were unhappy with Win8, so I thought 7 would be a cool.
3. How's the graphics card? I think it's a good price for it, but is the GPU a decent one to have now?
4. Can you guys recommend a good case? I'm worried about ventilation and overheating, so I want to get something that's spacious, but is not too big. Also, should I consider buying an additional fan?

rrs

1. sound card really isn't needed, imo
2. Windows 7 is still good, but Windows 8 can be easily stripped of metro and show off the leaner system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom