• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Just jumped on the NZXT deal, but RAM prices seem to be fucked up. Someone told me I could do better, but for 8GB I can't seem to find RAM for under $90 not counting black friday prices, which means it's pretty dependent on my ability to pick it up this week.

1. sound card really isn't needed, imo
2. Windows 7 is still good, but Windows 8 can be easily stripped of metro and show off the leaner system.

I bought an ASUS Xonar DGX because I know it will kick up my AKG k240s a great deal. The price was unavoidable, especially per the recommendations from the likes of Durante and others. I'd say it's all about what one deems important. For me it will be really fantastic to have a good sound setup to plug my headphones in.

rrs

I bought an ASUS Xonar DGX because I know it will kick up my AKG k240s a great deal. The price was unavoidable, especially per the recommendations from the likes of Durante and others.

I was going to say something about very high end audio setups, but removed it before posting.

I was going to say something about very high end audio setups, but removed it before posting.

Fair enough, it's definitely about personal preference. You can definitely get away with onboard sound these days, it seems. I wanted to give this sound card a shot as I haven't had a dedicated one in so long. Over a decade maybe? Just gotta have it...

Kingbrave

I love this 280x. It's not loud. It's a huge bitch though. Twice as long as my 650ti boost. I'm ready for anything. Come at thee, developers!

ezekial45

Banned
1. sound card really isn't needed, imo
2. Windows 7 is still good, but Windows 8 can be easily stripped of metro and show off the leaner system.

Ok, I'll still stick with Win7. Thanks!

How about the others? Does everything else check out on my list? I feel good about it, but I'm just concerned about incompatibilities and stuff.

VPqHpGx.jpg

250 for the cpu
130 for the MB

My wait begins

mkenyon

Banned
Have

AMD 1100t
GTX 680 with crazy good OC

Want

CPU+Mobo combo. Will AMD's 8 core pay dividends with next gen ports? What would be a price comparable Intel set up compared to the top end AMD CPU + Mobo (around $250 -$300 for the set).? and what are the perf differences like? Is the Intel only superior in games with poor multithreading?
No, AMD's "8 Core" processors will not pay dividends. They perform much more like quad cores with hyperthreading, because that's what they kind of are. They get destroyed by Intel processors at similar frequencies. To top it off, AM3+ is looking like a dead socket.

You'll want a Z87 mobo with a 4670K.
Hello, hello! I really need some advice. How's this build looking? Any incompatibilities? I know about Pcpartpicker, but I saw a Newegg deal for the MoBo and RAM, but they aren't listed on the site.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL - Water/Liquid CPU Cooling System
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III
HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
Video Card: MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

I've got some questions;

1. Am I missing anything? Besides the case, monitor, keyboard, mouse. Do I need a sound card or something?
2. How is Windows 7 holding up? I heard a lot of people were unhappy with Win8, so I thought 7 would be a cool.
3. How's the graphics card? I think it's a good price for it, but is the GPU a decent one to have now?
4. Can you guys recommend a good case? I'm worried about ventilation and overheating, so I want to get something that's spacious, but is not too big. Also, should I consider buying an additional fan?
1) You want the K model processor.

2) I still prefer Win 7 over 8.

3) Video card is super solid. I'd prefer a 280x over it though.

4) Best cases in the OP. Only one that needs to be added in there is the Corsair Air 540. For most of those, you would not need any additional fans. Some of the budget ones maybe, but it sounds like you aren't headed in that direction anyway. The Define R4 is on sale for $75 right now.
MSI Z87 MPOWER is the same price as UD3H or more/ lower by $10

is Gigabyte still rules?
If they are the same price, or off by $10, I'd take the MPower.

ezekial45

Banned
No, AMD's "8 Core" processors will not pay dividends. They perform much more like quad cores with hyperthreading, because that's what they kind of are. They get destroyed by Intel processors at similar frequencies. To top it off, AM3+ is looking like a dead socket.

1) You want the K model processor.

2) I still prefer Win 7 over 8.

3) Video card is super solid. I'd prefer a 280x over it though.

4) Best cases in the OP. Only one that needs to be added in there is the Corsair Air 540. For most of those, you would not need any additional fans. Some of the budget ones maybe, but it sounds like you aren't headed in that direction anyway. The Define R4 is on sale for $75 right now.

If they are the same price, or off by $10, I'd take the MPower.

Sweet, sounds good. But I have to ask, can elaborate on the K model processor? I'm not sure what you mean. Is it incompatible with the MoBo?

EDIT:This one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899
-----
Also, the RAM i selected has sold out and I have to get a replacement.
How are these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Totakeke

Okay, after a month of researching and looking around for deals, I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm buying.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87I-Pro Mini-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($271.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($44.99 @ Mwave)
Storage: Corsair Force 115GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $811.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-27 22:29 EST-0500)

Prices differ because I'm in Singapore and buying most stuff locally. SSD is being reused. I guess the one I'm still not firm on is the cooler due to whether it fits well into the case and whether I should just go with whatever is cheapest.

Anything on the list I should be aware of before going with it?

Red

Find a used ThinkPad, I'll go get some specific models to look out for. Those keyboards are like heaven, and will be great for writing anything really.

However, with linux I'd say to avoid a 1080p screen with a smaller laptop, otherwise the DPI will be way too high for anything. Do note that newer ThinkPads have still good keyboards but not as good as the classic ones.

Any size you are looking at?
Any size at all. I'd like something thin and light but I'm limited by what my budget allows (<$300 is ideal). Ideally it would be at least 15.6", thin, light, with a high res screen and a good battery, but that is pushing it with the cash on hand. Main concerns are good battery and resolution.

Sweet, sounds good. But I have to ask, can elaborate on the K model processor? I'm not sure what you mean. Is it incompatible with the MoBo?

EDIT:This one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899
-----
Also, the RAM i selected has sold out and I have to get a replacement.
How are these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
Check out the RAM I posted earlier:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

Okay, after a month of researching and looking around for deals, I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm buying.

Motherboard: Asus Z87I-Pro Mini-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($271.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($120.98 @ Newegg)

Prices differ because I'm in Singapore and buying most stuff locally. SSD is being reused. I guess the one I'm still not firm on is the cooler due to whether it fits well into the case and whether I should just go with whatever is cheapest.

You don't have to go overboard with RAM, but I would definitely recommend getting something better than Kingston Value RAM. Also, you should buy a two stick kit rather than buying each stick individually.

kamspy

I'm looking to go like $250 on the CPU and mobo. Don't let the 680 fool you, I buy midrange. Wish I could afford the higher end.

What's the Intel equivalent to this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1475304

Buy a two stick bundle, way cheaper than buying them individually. Also, look at some of the g-skill sets from newegg, few bundles with promo code that are higher clocked, lower latency, and cheaper than those two kingston sticks. Also you could probably get away with a much cheaper bronze certified cpu, check out the ones in the op. Lastly i'd argue your cpu cooler is a bit overkill. Haswell doesn't OC very well unless you delid and replace the TIM. Just settle for air-cooling, the hyper 212 evo as in the OP.

Totakeke

You don't have to go overboard with RAM, but I would definitely recommend getting something better than Kingston Value RAM. Also, you should buy a two stick kit rather than buying each stick individually.

Right. Was looking around to see whether there's any good deals on ram on Amazon.

Buy a two stick bundle, way cheaper than buying them individually. Also, look at some of the g-skill sets from newegg, few bundles with promo code that are higher clocked, lower latency, and cheaper than those two kingston sticks. Also you could probably get away with a much cheaper bronze certified cpu, check out the ones in the op.

I think the PSU I chose is pretty much recommended to fit into the mITX case, not sure which other ones would fit.

Right. Was looking around to see whether there's any good deals on ram on Amazon.

I think the PSU I chose is pretty much recommended to fit into the mITX case, not sure which other ones would fit.

Well you chose the higher end option of the 2, but really you'll only need that much power if you're going with a gtx 780 or a titan. From what I've read (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the lower end psu @ 600W should give you enough overhead, even with 80 Plus rating. Not sure where you'd put the savings though, either towards an upgrade to the 4770k or maybe a nice monitor.

Just jumped on the NZXT deal, but RAM prices seem to be fucked up. Someone told me I could do better, but for 8GB I can't seem to find RAM for under $90 not counting black friday prices, which means it's pretty dependent on my ability to pick it up this week.

2 yrs ago 1600- 8 gb (2x4gb) were at $45 :(

now, this is the cheapest regular price
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037TO5C0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

newegg has offers also bout $50 for 8gb, but speed 1866 or 2133 ... search there

I'd take the MPower.

I'm really into MPower !!!!!

it has at least 3 more feature than both of them, all are optional and like accessories to mobos, but if its VRMs are as UD3H or better than MSI G45/65, i'm going for it no matter what !

didn't found a good comparison on the web, hope it'd be OK !!!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NoRéN;91595644 said:
Awesome thank you, my 120GB has been basically full for 6 months.
I'm really into MPower !!!!!

it has at least 3 more feature than both of them, all are optional and like accessories to mobos, but if its VRMs are as UD3H or better than MSI G45/65, i'm going for it no matter what !

didn't found a good comparison on the web, hope it'd be OK !!!
It's a great board

Going to build 2 systems soon.

1 new gaming pc, mine is fron 2010 and just does not hold up anymore.
I play games on my tv in 1080p so I do not need a huge expensive system.
I'm fairly familiar with what is going on and what I need so I'll do that build myself with some GAF advise when I have my list.

BUT:

Need some case advise.
Need a new home server case.
I want to be able to put AS MUCH 3.5 inch drives in it as possible,
Don't care about how it looks etc just want to able to put as many hard drives it in as possible.

And then I need a motherboard that can support LOTS of active hard drives at once.

Thank you guys in advance.

kharma45

no limit for man's greed :p
so, what's your opinion bout it from technical side?

Good board but I don't know much in-depth about it.

Really? I thought that PSU guide in the OP recommended at least 850W for 770 SLI.

750w is fine.

Sweet, so I've ordered that, the hyper 212 evo, and this G Skill Sniper 2x4 1866MHz set today, figuring these are more likely to go OOS than go any lower.

All sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom