• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Gold Member
I was wondering if this is a good Black Friday deal from iBUYPOWER:

AMD FX Ultimate Black
AMD 8-core FX-9590 CPU
8GB DDR3-1866 Memory
AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB
1TB HDD
12X LG Blu-ray Reader
Windows 8.1
FREE WIFI + Bluetooth
FREE Gaming Headset

$1399

I know everyone hates prebuilt, but I don't think I can build a similar pc at this price, though I don't know anything more about the components. Any recommendations?

Disclaimer: I bought my last pc in 2008, so I don't know too much about current trends.

That looks like a very good deal for the money IMO.

ElyrionX

I was thinking of picking up a Dell Ultrasharp 27" monitor. But I am afraid that the native res of 2560*1440 would kill my performance in games. I run a i5 2500, 8gb ram, 560Ti.

Would I at least be able to run Dota 2 at 60fps on my hardware? How horrible would image quality be if I run games at 1920*1080 on the Dell monitor?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the Dell Ultrasharp U2713H and U2713HM?

Kingston V300 128GB or SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25? Both are at $69.99 atm.

EDIT: nvm, decision made for me. Can grab the Kingston for $59.99 @ NewEgg from 4-5AM PST after coupon code EMCWWVL24.

So....my dad went into microcenter for me and bought an i7 4770k when they had 200 deal. He forgot to ask about the free Final Fantasy 14 though. Think I'm out of luck? I'm going to see if I can bug them over the phone tomorrow, but not too confident.

jfoul

So....my dad went into microcenter for me and bought an i7 4770k when they had 200 deal. He forgot to ask about the free Final Fantasy 14 though. Think I'm out of luck? I'm going to see if I can bug them over the phone tomorrow, but not too confident.

I forgot also. I'll probably call Sat or Sun when things cool down.

kennah

Op seems to offer i7 with 7970 for $1400, which if i understand correctly, offers slightly better cpu but but much worse gpu, so I'm not sure what should I look for?

Protip - there will be a cheap GPU that performs at at level before there will be a cheap CPU that performs at that level.

As well the 7990 isn't a great deal. Has all the crossfire problems with minimal benefit.

Honestly - in my opinion that deal stinks of "Here is a bunch of stuff that we are having trouble selling"

Barzul

AMD FX Ultimate Black
AMD 8-core FX-9590 CPU
8GB DDR3-1866 Memory
AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB
1TB HDD
12X LG Blu-ray Reader
Windows 8.1
FREE WIFI + Bluetooth
FREE Gaming Headset

$1399

I know everyone hates prebuilt, but I don't think I can build a similar pc at this price, though I don't know anything more about the components. Any recommendations?

Disclaimer: I bought my last pc in 2008, so I don't know too much about current trends.

That's a great deal imo. 7990 is two 7970's and it comes with windows.

thespot84

i picked up that $200 deal, have no idea about FF14...what was that about?

Veelk

Banned
I just need a quick explanation of something.

I'm browsing for a new graphics card, and I see AMD Radeon 7970 or 7990 are both very good. However, when I search for them, I get a bunch of different results from different companies. Sapphire Radeon HD 7970, Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970, MSI R7990-6GD5 Radeon HD 7990, etc. And there are pretty steep price gaps between them.

Does the company you get the graphics card matter or should I be looking at only specific brands?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

I'm browsing for a new graphics card, and I see AMD Radeon 7970 or 7990 are both very good. However, when I search for them, I get a bunch of different results from different companies. Sapphire Radeon HD 7970, Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970, MSI R7990-6GD5 Radeon HD 7990, etc. And there are pretty steep price gaps between them.

Does the company you get the graphics card matter or should I be looking at only specific brands?

7970 and 7990 are two very different cards. The 7970 is a mid/low-highend level enthusiast card, while the 7990 is an extremist level card. The different 'brands' are different third party manufacturers, each with their own designs for cooling and the like, which all have pros and cons, usually slight, but sometimes not.

There will be a 10-30 dollar difference between the 7970s, and perhaps more for the 7990s, given the variance in what the two cards offer.

Can't speak too much for which to get, as I've been an Nvidia purchaser for my last two graphics cards.

edit: To answer your question, each company's 7970 or 7990 will run at slightly different temps, draw different voltage, and hit slightly different FPS targets. To find out which works best for you, I would suggest looking at some benchmarks. Anandtech is a good one, and there are a few others mentioned in the OP

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Newegg is barely functional right now. Looking for some deals on a decent budget case and HDD.

Doubt I'll find anything better than the WD Blue prices right now for HDDs.

sigh....

tracking the offers since 7 days, i notice the biggest offer advantages comes from :

1- stores that have branches to buy from them with disabling online purchasing feature . eg. target/walmart and microcenter
2- online stores that requires strickly US billing method. e.g. neegg
3- online stores that accepts non-US billing accounts like amazon

lot of offers available everywhere, but the best breaking deals are in the first 2 .

i asked before a similar question and got an answer on it
by looking to your cards, i believe you'd get a sapphire card, and found this option for you:

SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PQAE98/?tag=neogaf0e-20

there were another models, but mostly are discontinued based on newegg, even 7990!
except this one is still available but currently out of stock, so i fetch it for you from amazon for $401.49 compared to its $459.99 on newegg.

hope this would be help for you

Hey guy, quick question.

Had my PC for well over a year and just recently it started not waking up from sleep. I'll leave and come back later and hit buttons to wake it up and nothing happens (then I have to cold restart it which I hate doing). Did a virus scan, no problems. Reset power plan to defaults, still does it.

Anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: Seems if I lock my PC first it will wake up, but if I don't, it wont.
EDIT: Jk, still happens :(

What video card do you have, and did you recently update the drivers for it? As far as I know the 460 and 560 cards from nividia still can't use the latest drivers, and has been that way for like 6 months.

Opiate

How significant a speed advantage does the samsung evo have compared to the crucial m500? I'm looking at both in the newegg deal right now.

Soodanim

A friend is asking me to find him a decent deal on a computer, and I said I'd look into the cost of building one. His budget is low (he basically said as cheap as possible), and his most demanding game will be Football Manager 2014. The recommended requirements according to game-debate.com is

Core 2 Duo E4400 2.0GHz/Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
GeForce GT 340/Radeon X1900 GT
2GB RAM, 3GB HDD

Based on that, I'm starting to think he might be better off with an APU than say, an Intel with integrated graphics, but I want your advice GAF.

kharma45

A friend is asking me to find him a decent deal on a computer, and I said I'd look into the cost of building one. His budget is low (he basically said as cheap as possible), and his most demanding game will be Football Manager 2014. The recommended requirements according to game-debate.com is

Core 2 Duo E4400 2.0GHz/Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
GeForce GT 340/Radeon X1900 GT
2GB RAM, 3GB HDD

Based on that, I'm starting to think he might be better off with an APU than say, an Intel with integrated graphics, but I want your advice GAF.

Don't get an APU now, if anything wait for Kaveri. Otherwise if all he wants to do is play FM the integrated Intel stuff on the i3 and beyond is enough.

AMD FX Ultimate Black
AMD 8-core FX-9590 CPU
8GB DDR3-1866 Memory
AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB
1TB HDD
12X LG Blu-ray Reader
Windows 8.1
FREE WIFI + Bluetooth
FREE Gaming Headset

$1399

That looks like a very good deal for the money IMO.

That's a great deal imo. 7990 is two 7970's and it comes with windows.

It's not, it feels like...

Honestly - in my opinion that deal stinks of "Here is a bunch of stuff that we are having trouble selling"

this.

Eksmannnn

Neo Member
Just wondering If I need to upgrade any parts as I've had a few of these parts since 2009 and Feeling like I could use a upgrade as I feel i'm not getting the most out of my SSD. People talk about insane boot speeds and stuff like that and I feel mine isn't up to that speed, I might have set it up wrong though.

Basic Desktop Questions:

Your Current Specs:
CPU : Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66Ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P
Memory: Kingston HyperX 6GB DDR3 12800C9 1600MHz
Power Supply: OCZ 750 Watt Fatality PSU
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Hardrive - Samsung 250GB 840 Series SSD, Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB + 300gig Maxtor External
Case - Corsair 600t White
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850
Monitor - Samsung 22 LED Monitor + Samsung 20" LCD Monitor
Budget: £500 and england
Main Use: 5 - Gaming, video editing and photoshop.
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications - all new games at highest settings and would also like fast bootup speeds and fast rending if possible
Looking to reuse any parts?: Any I can from my current build
When will you build?: No deadline
Will you be overclocking?: Yes if I can

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help

kharma45

Based on prices from this website, is there anything that is going to provide better value than the R9 290? The 4GB 770 is about the same price.

290 is great but I can't recommend it until the non-reference ones appear.

Just wondering If I need to upgrade any parts as I've had a few of these parts since 2009 and Feeling like I could use a upgrade as I feel i'm not getting the most out of my SSD. People talk about insane boot speeds and stuff like that and I feel mine isn't up to that speed, I might have set it up wrong though.

Basic Desktop Questions:

Your Current Specs:
CPU : Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66Ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P
Memory: Kingston HyperX 6GB DDR3 12800C9 1600MHz
Power Supply: OCZ 750 Watt Fatality PSU
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Hardrive - Samsung 250GB 840 Series SSD, Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB + 300gig Maxtor External
Case - Corsair 600t White
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850
Monitor - Samsung 22 LED Monitor + Samsung 20" LCD Monitor
Budget: £500 and england
Main Use: 5 - Gaming, video editing and photoshop.
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications - all new games at highest settings and would also like fast bootup speeds and fast rending if possible
Looking to reuse any parts?: Any I can from my current build
When will you build?: No deadline
Will you be overclocking?: Yes if I can

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help

Odd that your SSD doesn't feel fast, what sort of boot times are you getting?

As for what I'd change there, I'd overclock the CPU and the GPU.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was thinking of picking up a Dell Ultrasharp 27" monitor. But I am afraid that the native res of 2560*1440 would kill my performance in games. I run a i5 2500, 8gb ram, 560Ti.

Would I at least be able to run Dota 2 at 60fps on my hardware? How horrible would image quality be if I run games at 1920*1080 on the Dell monitor?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the Dell Ultrasharp U2713H and U2713HM?
The U2712H apparently has improved color accuracy using different backlight technology and a few other, more minor differences.

But really, with a 560Ti, I think you're better off sticking with 1080p. You *might* be able to get away with playing DOTA 2 at 60fps with reduced settings since it seems like a very CPU dependent game(don't quote me on that), but you're gonna find yourself quite limited when it comes to anything else, especially newer games.

I'd put that money into a new GPU. Upgrade the monitor later.

Anton668

Is there an ETA on that?

how about right now*!

*if you do it yourself.....

Fixing The Radeon R9 290 With Arctic's Accelero Xtreme III
One of the best things we did for our Radeon R9 290 review was pop off AMD's reference cooler and attach Arctic's Accelero Xtreme III. Today, we show you how we did this, we dive deeper into the results, and ultimately recommend the aftermarket heat sink.
Obviously, if you spend $400 on a new Radeon R9 290 and immediately take it apart, your warranty is void. Also, remember that applying heat sinks using thermal adhesive creates a fairly permanent bond. There is no changing your mind once you go down this path.
Then again, who wants to live with the reference cooler anyway? Just don't be that guy who rips a memory package off his PCB after gluing a heat sink to it.

Blarg, been another week of trying to decide on a motherboard with no real progress made. Was between the Asus Gene VI, and the Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5 that mkenyon recommended, but really don't even know if I need all the features on ether of them and have been looking at lower priced ones like the Asus Gryphon. Know the VRM isn't as good on the Gryphon, but don't really think I need super high quality since I'm only ever going to do air cooling to around the 4.5GHz area, cpu permitting. Really am not sure though. Not going to need or use a lot of the extra features on the Sniper or Gene as well, like the better sound on the Sniper or all the extra usb and sata ports on the gene. Or like any of the extra software on any of the boards. Really like how simple some of the things on the Asus boards are, like bios flashback and the little connecter block for the front panel things, but really that stuff will only make it easier to build and will not be noticed later.

Think the biggest thing bugging me is that I haven't been able to find any info or pics of any of those 3 motherboards with a D14 on it to see how close a card in the first pcie slot is.

Ensirius

Anyone having problems with AMD 13.11 Beta 9.x drivers with overclocking?

I can set the overclock and the idle and ram speeds are where they should be, but the 3D clocks revert back to unclocked state, then when the clocks go back to 2D they are back to overclocked state.

kennah

Blarg, been another week of trying to decide on a motherboard with no real progress made.

I know what you mean, I agonized for months over which motherboard to get (and I think I got the wrong one in the end) (or maybe I didn't)

From what i can see, these seems to be the best Canadian deal for 250 GB SSD. Not sure if the 30$ more is worth it.

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB 160$
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...=749547&SID=rfdcb-d725&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA

vs

Toshiba Q Series HDTS225XZSTA 256GB 130$
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...=749547&SID=rfdcb-d725&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA

That Toshiba is a hell of a deal. Thanks for pointing it out. And for most people's purposes, the differences in SSD speeds are not noticeable in real life use scenarios.

ElyrionX

The U2712H apparently has improved color accuracy using different backlight technology and a few other, more minor differences.

But really, with a 560Ti, I think you're better off sticking with 1080p. You *might* be able to get away with playing DOTA 2 at 60fps with reduced settings since it seems like a very CPU dependent game(don't quote me on that), but you're gonna find yourself quite limited when it comes to anything else, especially newer games.

I'd put that money into a new GPU. Upgrade the monitor later.

Yeah, perhaps you are right but I'm pretty happy with my GPU right now so I wouldn't upgrade that either.

When is the next major GPU cycle starting anyway?

kharma45

Yeah, perhaps you are right but I'm pretty happy with my GPU right now so I wouldn't upgrade that either.

When is the next major GPU cycle starting anyway?

Second half of 2014 we should start to hear rumblings of the 20nm GPUs. I'd imagine... a September-November release time frame if I was to guess.

Not really correct.

The U2713HM is the sRGB version; the U2713H is the professional wide gamut version with a whole lot of additional electronics design for colour accuracy such as an exposed hardware lookup-table for calibration tools and some implementation of DUE. Neither are more accurate than the other and both serve entirely different purposes.

Neither are particularly good monitors unless price is a very, very serious factor as Dells can typically be found for pretty decent prices with coupons. If you want a professional monitor, NEC and Eizo still offer monitors with better implemented features and calibration options; cheapass single input PLS monitors from Korea are better for gaming; the Viewsonic VP2770 is still the king if you want a very good all-rounder.

If you're looking for a 27" 1920x1080 monitor, the Viewsonic VX2770smh-led or the LG IPS277L are good options. All AH-IPS monitors are all kind of similar really but I know the Viewsonic can do 74hz max if you like that sort of thing (75hz apparently doesn't work).

ElyrionX

Not really correct.

The U2713HM is the sRGB version; the U2713H is the professional wide gamut version with a whole lot of additional electronics design for colour accuracy such as an exposed hardware lookup-table for calibration tools and some implementation of DUE. Neither are more accurate than the other and both serve entirely different purposes.

Neither are particularly good monitors unless price is a very, very serious factor as Dells can typically be found for pretty decent prices with coupons. If you want a professional monitor, NEC and Eizo still offer monitors with better implemented features and calibration options; cheapass single input Korean monitors are better for gaming; the Viewsonic VP2770 is still the king if you want a very good all-rounder.

Why are the Korean monitors better for gaming?

Why are the Korean monitors better for gaming?

Dirt cheap, low input lag, you can get semi-gloss/gloss versions for good image quality, they're 2560x1440 resolution, and most (all?) of the Qnix QX2710 model monitors appear to be able to hit 75-120hz fairly easily. There's a thread floating around on overclock.net that is filled to the brim with detail.

They're nowhere near as good as true 120hz monitors, as most of those also have lightboost hacks to basically get to CRT response levels, but they're very good for 2560x1440 IPS monitors.

Aranath

I just installed an Asus Xonar DGX soundcard in my PC and have no idea what the hell I'm doing with getting this thing set up. The manual is a tad useless.

I'm using a pair of Sennhesider HD419s with it. Can I connect the headphones to the front panel, without a loss of sound quality? Or is it preferable to connect it directly to the card? The volume when running through the front panel is a lot lower than if I connect to the rear panel, which makes me think the headphone amp only works through the card itself, which is a pity because the cable on my headphones is a wee-bit short, so the FP is far more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom