• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irobot82

Dirt cheap, low input lag, you can get semi-gloss/gloss versions for good image quality, they're 2560x1440 resolution, and most (all?) of the Qnix QX2710 model monitors appear to be able to hit 75-120hz fairly easily. There's a thread floating around on overclock.net that is filled to the brim with detail.

They're nowhere near as good as true 120hz monitors, as most of those also have lightboost hacks to basically get to CRT response levels, but they're very good for 2560x1440 IPS monitors.

How about the tempered glass ones?

I'd grab the 750w Hive myself for the same money for the modular cables.

woops, you're right, missed that. Now I can sleep better XD

Last major thing I need to get a deal on is that DAMN Gigabyte Z87 UD3H. Lowest I've seen it so far is $149.99. Shoulda nabbed it with that microcenter/staples price matching deal last week, but oh well. Hopefully something comes up this weekend.

Just finished speaking to a Microcenter rep. If you forgot to get your free copy of Final Fantasy, you can do so with proof of purchase at the Microcenter location. I'm personally out of luck since my father was on a special trip around Chicago, so I'm too far away to go back in. For everyone else, I'd go ahead and nab your free codes!

Looking for a desktop microphone (no clip on or headsets) that is less than $50. The Logitech one I used to use (and is recommended in the OP) seems to be discontinued.

i hear that windows 8/8.1 isn't any good for games, problems and compatibility issues, and it has long way of updates to be as stable as win7..

is that true?

i'm interested in DX11.2 as it's exclusive for win8 as i hear, and since my GPU is supporting it, it'd be nice to make use of it for the games that supports it in the future

i have an FX 4100 black edition processor....the 8320 is on sale for $100 at microcenter, and i could earn half of that back selling my 4100...

i'm wondering guys, is it worth upgrading? my graphics card is only a 650 TI. will it be a worthwhile performance upgrade, or not worth wasting an hour or two getting to microcenter and back and installing?

i hear that windows 8/8.1 isn't any good for games, problems and compatibility issues, and it has long way of updates to be as stable as win7..

is that true?

i'm interested in DX11.2 as it's exclusive for win8 as i hear, and since my GPU is supporting it, it'd be nice to make use of it for the games that supports it in the future
I've been using Windows 8/8.1 since launch and I haven't run into too many problems. Most of the compatibility problems I've seen come from older than dirt games from the early Windows days.

Aesius

Would it be worth it to upgrade from a 7850 2GB to a 7950 3GB? Thinking about picking this up when it hits a lightning deal in an hour or so: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXVFM3K/ref=gb1h_img_c-3_8022_5aa7954a?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1S2AQDHAJJ0JZKWKCJDV&pf_rd_i=384082011&pf_rd_p=1673798022

I have my 7850 slightly OCed and would OC the 7950 as well.

Also, my CPU is only an AMD X4 965 @ 3.8 ghz. Would it be pointless to upgrade since the my CPU would be too much of a bottleneck?

Would it be worth it to upgrade from a 7850 2GB to a 7950 3GB? Thinking about picking this up when it hits a lightning deal in an hour or so: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXVFM3K/ref=gb1h_img_c-3_8022_5aa7954a?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1S2AQDHAJJ0JZKWKCJDV&pf_rd_i=384082011&pf_rd_p=1673798022
Good luck with that. I just saw a $30 wireless KB+M combo sell out the instant the sale went live. I think people are putting items in their shopping carts ahead of time and buying as soon as the sale price triggers, so you might not be able to get one if you wait for it to go live.

ElyrionX

Ok my current specs are:

i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
8GB RAM
MSI 560Ti Twin Frozr (Can't recall the RAM on this thing but dxdiag says total memory 4050MB which is 4GB? Doesn't seem right.)
Seasonic M12II 620W
1 SSD, 2 HDDs, 1 optical drive

What do I need to upgrade to run games relatively well on a 2560*1440 monitor? Will a 770 or a 7970 help me reach 60 fps minimum on medium-high settings at 2560*1440 on games coming in the next year or two? Or will I be bottlenecked by my CPU or my RAM? Will a new graphics card require more juice or will my current power supply be enough?

Eksmannnn

Neo Member
290 is great but I can't recommend it until the non-reference ones appear.

Odd that your SSD doesn't feel fast, what sort of boot times are you getting?

As for what I'd change there, I'd overclock the CPU and the GPU.

Just did a quick test and it was around A minute which I guess isn't too bad! would you know how easy it would be to overclock my devices, I have good temps at the moment, GPU maxed out is at like 57c and around the same for cpus

Plus would you say my motherboard is still okay or getting a little old?

i see
changing compatibility settings wont help that much? -as it is in win7-
It literally depends on the game. I've got three old Star Trek games that needed different tweaks - one only needed compatibility settings tweaks, one required patching (including a .dll to get it to use modern versions of DirectX properly), and one is totally impossible to play (as far as I know) without virtualizing whatever version of Windows it ran on. I will say that games from 2000 onwards seem more likely to work without too many problems, but it's a YMMV kind of thing since these games had problems with anything past XP.

kharma45

Ok my current specs are:

i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
8GB RAM
MSI 560Ti Twin Frozr (Can't recall the RAM on this thing but dxdiag says total memory 4050MB which is 4GB? Doesn't seem right.)
Seasonic M12II 620W
1 SSD, 2 HDDs, 1 optical drive

What do I need to upgrade to run games relatively well on a 2560*1440 monitor? Will a 770 or a 7970 help me reach 60 fps minimum on medium-high settings at 2560*1440 on games coming in the next year or two? Or will I be bottlenecked by my CPU or my RAM? Will a new graphics card require more juice or will my current power supply be enough?

OC that CPU, a 2500K at stock is wasted :p Yeah those would be good GPU choices, I'd lean to the 7970/280X.

290 would be a good buy too when the non-reference ones arrive.

Just did a quick test and it was around A minute which I guess isn't too bad! would you know how easy it would be to overclock my devices, I have good temps at the moment, GPU maxed out is at like 57c and around the same for cpus

Plus would you say my motherboard is still okay or getting a little old?

Your motherboard is a bit old but then again the 1156 platform itself is old, there's nowhere really to go with it unless you invest in a new CPU and mobo.

As for overclocking it you'd be aiming for 3.6-4GHz with that CPU, OCing guide here http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz/ and plenty of others with a quick Google.

XFX though, so I'd avoid.

I have my 7850 slightly OCed and would OC the 7950 as well.

Also, my CPU is only an AMD X4 965 @ 3.8 ghz. Would it be pointless to upgrade since the my CPU would be too much of a bottleneck?

Where are you buying? 7950s are often quite pricey now, 280X is a better shout. What's your 7850 OC'd to?

SummitAve

Banned
Should I jump on the i5 3570K for $150 at microcenter? I'm doing my first build ever, and so far have gotten:

bitfenix prodigy case
samsung 840 250gb ssd
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

I need a motherboard and PSU too... Was looking for an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe and Antec Basiq Plus 550W. That's from just following the guide, but if anyone has a heads up on some deals for an alternative I'm open to suggestions.

Chocobro

What parts would you guys highly recommend me buy on Newegg right now? I'm going to buy the Fractal Define R4 case for $75. Any of the SSDs? RAM? There was a post a few pages ago saying only certain parts have good deals around this time, but I don't remember the specifics.

I currently have only the i7 4770K I got from Staples for $217.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any site having a good sale on cases? Looking to spend $30-$40 but none of the decent cases in the $40-$60 range seem to be discounted. Kind of considering the Rosewill Challenger for $25 after rebate since I can't really find any better deals but I'm not really feeling that one.

Haven't noticed any great deals on Windows either. $80 for Win8 on Fry's would probably be a go but I don't have a Fry's around here. Win7 is $80 on Newegg but I'd rather go with 8.

Eiolon

Looking for a wireless keyboard with good response time for gaming. Need 10-key as well. Mechanical isn't a big deal. Don't need anything fancy, I'm a plain jane guy. Any recommendations?

Exuro

Got the fractal node for cheap along with an ssd. Just need to find a good deal on a mini itx board, ram and video card.

Are there any deals on mechanical keyboards/mice?

Lanbeast

Building my dad a new pc and I could use some help on the last parts. Here is what I have so far. Does anyone know if there's a good Windows 8/8.1 deal going around? Also, what would be a good CPU/MOBO to finish off the build? I'd like to keep it within the $250 budget but if there's something close I have some wiggle room.

B4OfCeb.png

RedSwirl

Uhh... so when you build this thing... how do you actually install Windows on it?

In my case I've ordered a disc drive for my system and would be buying W7 on a DVD. The BIOS just tells you what to do right? Oh, and I would be installing it on an SSD if that makes any difference.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Uhh... so when you build this thing... how do you actually install Windows on it?

In my case I've ordered a disc drive for my system and would be buying W7 on a DVD. The BIOS just tells you what to do right? Oh, and I would be installing it on an SSD if that makes any difference.

It will boot to the disc on the first boot because there's nothing else to boot from. You answer a few questions and set up a few things during the installation (user account, network, what device to install to, etc). It's a very simple process.

CRS

I don't think you even need to mess with the BIOS since it'll look for an OS in an optical drive if it doesn't find anything on the hard drive.

Just insert the Windows DVD and let it do its thing.

RedSwirl

Last question: audio and networking absolutely do come already built onto the motherboard right? That motherboard in this case would be the Asus Z87.

Edit: Oh, and this computer would be hooked up to a TV through HDMI. I'd probably just get audio through that right?

Last question: audio and networking absolutely do come already built onto the motherboard right? That motherboard in this case would be the Asus Z87.

Edit: Oh, and this computer would be hooked up to a TV through HDMI. I'd probably just get audio through that right?
Ethernet and audio do come standard on the mobo, plus you can get audio through the GPU's HDMI port.

Finally, unbanned.

I pulled the trigger today:
CPU and cooler: i54670k w/ 212EVO
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 (Low Profile)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5"
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5"
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: PSU ROSEWILL | HIVE-750 750W RT

RedSwirl

Okay, so, I am in the process of pulling the trigger:

CPU: i5-4670k 3.8 GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GTX 760 2GB
Mobo: Asus Z87
Case: Phantom NZXT
Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD
Storage: Logitech (I think) 1TB portable USB HDD
PSU: Antec 550w
Keyboard: Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse combo (I need the distance)

Estimated combined price: $1079

I don't plan to overclock for a while though.

Zoolader

Hey guys I'm selling my MSI TwinFrozr GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 OC for $200 in the buy/sell thread, thought I would mention it here. Please let me know if you are interested or think the price isn't where it should be.

Opiate

Okay, picked up the Samsung Evo 840 1TB on Newegg on sale + promo for 499.99.

This leaves me with three remaining variables I need assistance with:

Maximus VI Impact
EVGA GTX 780 Classified
Blu Ray Slot Drive

If anyone sees deals on any three of those components, let me know, please!

Jessicat

RAM decisions, trying to pick a set of 8gb, are any of these types good?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313355
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313353
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231482

I can backtrack and repost my part list if that's relevant to the decision ^^; Also, any recommendations on wireless internet adapters? Thanks in advance~

*edit* also which parts are worth getting extended warranties on, if any? Wanna save the cash but also don't wanna be kicking myself in the long run ^^;

kharma45

One of the first two, the rest is either meh or laptop RAM.

Okay, so, I am in the process of pulling the trigger:

CPU: i5-4670k 3.8 GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GTX 760 2GB
Mobo: Asus Z87
Case: Phantom NZXT
Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD
Storage: Logitech (I think) 1TB portable USB HDD
PSU: Antec 550w
Keyboard: Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse combo (I need the distance)

Estimated combined price: $1079

I don't plan to overclock for a while though.

Rosewill Hive 750w will save you about $25 after rebate

NoRéN;91792603 said:
Hey, Crunchy. Found this.

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H Z87 for $165
minus $30 for using V.me by Visa
$15 rebate

alas, they charge shipping. Will ship in 7-21 days.

May just go with the GA-Z87X-D3H at amazon since i have a gift card there. Unless there are any objections?

Great board.

Finally, unbanned.

I pulled the trigger today:
CPU and cooler: i54670k w/ 212EVO
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 (Low Profile)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5"
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5"
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: PSU ROSEWILL | HIVE-750 750W RT

Very nice build.

Set the BIOS boot order to boot from the DVD drive and it'll go from there.

As for installing it on the SSD, just make sure you choose it in the installer out of our physical drives.

Building my dad a new pc and I could use some help on the last parts. Here is what I have so far. Does anyone know if there's a good Windows 8/8.1 deal going around? Also, what would be a good CPU/MOBO to finish off the build? I'd like to keep it within the $250 budget but if there's something close I have some wiggle room.

B4OfCeb.png

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($67.55 @ Newegg)
Total: $262.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-29 19:08 EST-0500)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom