• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emag

I'm seriously considering putting together a SFF $900 gaming/HTPC build and pulling the trigger later today/tomorrow. I'm reusing my monitor, accessories, OS, and boot/SRT SSD.

The mandatory elements are a Haswell i7, 16 GB of RAM, and a small form factor. The rest is freely adjustable. I'm not planning on OCing the system much, if at all. I'd originally thought about living off integrated graphics (or my old low-end GPU) until Maxwell hit, but I'd rather have something affordable now that I can use for the next couple of years at 60+ FPS/1080p (I don't mind dialing down graphics options) and upgrade the GPU when need be.

I've reviewed the suggested builds and have come up with the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Gemin II S524 77.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg) (Or today's TigerDirect WD Black 2TB HDD deal)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($41.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $876.91

My last build has lasted me since 2007, and that started off at the low/mid-end (just upgraded RAM and GPU and added an SSD since). I'd like for this to take me through the end of the PS4/XB1 era (again, upgrading the GPU as necessary a few years down the line).

Could someone with recent build experience/knowledge give this a once-over (especially the CPU cooler, PSU, and how the pieces can fit together in that case)? Any other recommendations?

Azulsky

Sent the 780 Classy's to EVGA, soon to return as 780Ti's

In the meantime I will return to old man river SLI with the 470's. At least I wont be cold at night.

I have 2 780 Classy backplates that need a good home now.

Thorgal

Sent the 780 Classy's to EVGA, soon to return as 780Ti's

In the meantime I will return to old man river SLI with the 470's. At least I wont be cold at night.

I have 2 780 Classy backplates that need a good home now.

Yep the current plan is to get a TI this year and going SLI the next .

Should be able to sit purty then until a card comes out that beats both combined .

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions on this build that's mainly for gaming and some light video editing.

CPU: AMD FX 6350 6 Core CPU
Cooler: Standard
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
RAM: 8GB KINGSTON HYPER X-GENESIS DUAL DDR3
GPU: 2GB RADEON R9 270X
Storage: 1TB 3,5 Sata-III 6 GB/s HDD 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache
Power Supply: CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES

I was going back and forth on whether to go for an i5 4670 but I decided to opt for the 6350 so I could up the GPU a bit while keeping in my budget.

I was also wondering if the power supply is sufficient or if I could go for 450W to save a small amount.

This is my first gaming PC so any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Hey guys, I am looking to get a better CPU but have no clue where to start as this will be my first ever pc upgrade from a few years old prebuilt I have. Using a FX-4100 at the moment and since I pretty much use my PC just for FFXIV and PS2 emulation, I need a bit of a power boost without spending $400 on a new CPU+Mobo

Here is the Mobo I have.
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3967#

Here is the compatibility list.
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3967

Now I'm looking to NOT upgrade the mobo, and wondering what my options are. The list does not account for newer CPUs and ive heard it does support them but not sure how.

I know the CPU has to be AM3+ sockets, and I guess... 95 Watts?

There is where I get confused. I know the sockets are needed to fit, but do to the watts limit what type of cpu I can choose from? Really confused and other sites are giving me the run around telling me to drop $800 on a i7 and insane mobo... just so I can fucking play Dragon Quest 8 without slow down in the over world >.>

News Bot

Banned
Is there a graphics card that absolutely has very, very little chance of frame judder/stuttering? I get it a lot with my 7970 and I know AMD cards are more prone to it.

Being extremely anal when it comes to video recording makes it unbearable for me. :(

Najaf

Finally pulled the trigger on my upgrade.

My old build, shown below, as first posted here in August of 2010:

i7 930
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
2x GTX 460 SLI
6 GB G.Skill
Corsair HX750
CM690 advanced case

new.jpg

Upgraded to:

i7 4770k
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
EVGA GTX 780 ACX
128 GB Samsung SSD
4 TB HDD

Same case, power supply, Noctua nh-D14, and one more stick of G.Skill (bringing it to 8GB).

Building on the same table. Fun times.

Surprised how big it was.

Using the Coolermaster GPU support bracket that came with the case. The card is very heavy and this brace noticeably takes the strain off the mobo; lifting it back to its level state by raising it a couple of millimeters.

Build is so much more quiet with the single card. The SLI setup was nice, but it was a vortex under load.

As always, thanks for the help in the thread and specifically the OP. Such a great resource that takes the guess work out of things.

Azulsky

Finally pulled the trigger on my upgrade.

Upgraded to:

i7 4770k
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
EVGA GTX 780 ACX
128 GB Samsung SSD
4 TB HDD

Surprised how big it was.

Sweet

Just imagine the card being an inch wider. The Classy version of the 780 was a beast to behold.

kharma45

Is there a graphics card that absolutely has very, very little chance of frame judder/stuttering? I get it a lot with my 7970 and I know AMD cards are more prone to it.

Being extremely anal when it comes to video recording makes it unbearable for me. :(

Lots of stuttering is odd with a 7970. When they launched the 7000 series was prone to it but AMD sorted that ages ago.

Hey guys, I am looking to get a better CPU but have no clue where to start as this will be my first ever pc upgrade from a few years old prebuilt I have. Using a FX-4100 at the moment and since I pretty much use my PC just for FFXIV and PS2 emulation, I need a bit of a power boost without spending $400 on a new CPU+Mobo

Here is the Mobo I have.
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3967#

Here is the compatibility list.
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3967

Now I'm looking to NOT upgrade the mobo, and wondering what my options are. The list does not account for newer CPUs and ive heard it does support them but not sure how.

I know the CPU has to be AM3+ sockets, and I guess... 95 Watts?

There is where I get confused. I know the sockets are needed to fit, but do to the watts limit what type of cpu I can choose from? Really confused and other sites are giving me the run around telling me to drop $800 on a i7 and insane mobo... just so I can fucking play Dragon Quest 8 without slow down in the over world >.>

6300, 6350, 8320 and 8350 are your main choices. You're going to be limited no matter what you do with AMD here as Haswell is much stronger at emulation and all the recent Intel CPUs will perform better with CPU dependent games.

With those AMD CPUs you really need to OC to help eek out performance and that board you have won't be up for that.

$350 would get you a 4670K and a good mobo, $250 would get you a 3570K and a decent mobo.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions on this build that's mainly for gaming and some light video editing.

CPU: AMD FX 6350 6 Core CPU
Cooler: Standard
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
RAM: 8GB KINGSTON HYPER X-GENESIS DUAL DDR3
GPU: 2GB RADEON R9 270X
Storage: 1TB 3,5 Sata-III 6 GB/s HDD 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache
Power Supply: CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES

I was going back and forth on whether to go for an i5 4670 but I decided to opt for the 6350 so I could up the GPU a bit while keeping in my budget.

I was also wondering if the power supply is sufficient or if I could go for 450W to save a small amount.

This is my first gaming PC so any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

What are the prices on this? Some decent Intel deals atm.

Prodigal

Banned
I just moved into an apartment temporarily and was wondering if there was anything I could do to bypass my Comcast's router and use my Asus RT-AC66R router instead. The problem with the modem is that it only has coaxial ports on the back - no ethernet at all. So what I'm doing right now is Modem -> coaxial into Comcast router -> ethernet into Asus router so I can boost the Comcast router's signal. But what I want is to be able to go into the settings for the Asus router on my comp and change some settings around. Ultimately I'd like to not even have to use the Comcast router at all but that doesn't seem like an option since the Asus doesn't have any coaxial ports.

Sorry, hope this isn't a dumb question. Is there an equivalent to Radeon Pro for Nvidia cards? I'd like to make a profile for BF4 but realized I have no idea how to since I was using AMD cards for so long. Thanks in advance.

kharma45

NoRéN;91889632 said:
Than that particular model? yes. the Hyper X ssd from kingston is better than the v3000.

But, for those on a tight budget, $40 is $40. Heck, that's your cpu cooler right there.

And the V300 is still quick enough for most people at the end of the day.

6300, 6350, 8320 and 8350 are your main choices. You're going to be limited no matter what you do with AMD here as Haswell is much stronger at emulation and all the recent Intel CPUs will perform better with CPU dependent games.

With those AMD CPUs you really need to OC to help eek out performance and that board you have won't be up for that.

$350 would get you a 4670K and a good mobo, $250 would get you a 3570K and a decent mobo.

Thank you for the details!

I was assuming the 8350 could work on my mobo and seems like it should. Only reason I'm looking to not upgrade the mobo too is that the CPU would be an xmas gift, and I dont want to make the parents spend too much on me (hate getting/asking for anything, holiday or not.) Been looking at the mobo+cpu combos at newegg and what not and most are only less than $100 more.

I dunno, I will bring it up when they ask what I want lol. Dad is a PC wiz so knowing him he might insist on me getting a new motherboard to go with it. but like I said I only use my PC for emulation basically at this point.

kharma45

Thank you for the details!

I was assuming the 8350 could work on my mobo and seems like it should. Only reason I'm looking to not upgrade the mobo too is that the CPU would be an xmas gift, and I dont want to make the parents spend too much on me (hate getting/asking for anything, holiday or not.) Been looking at the mobo+cpu combos at newegg and what not and most are only less than $100 more.

I dunno, I will bring it up when they ask what I want lol. Dad is a PC wiz so knowing him he might insist on me getting a new motherboard to go with it. but like I said I only use my PC for emulation basically at this point.

Then you really need to go Intel, Haswell is amazing for it.

rinker

With the Bitfenix Prodigy case, what fan configuration do you think makes sense with these options?

2x 120mm fans
1x 140mm fans
h100i radiator with default 2x 120mm fans

Not knowing much, I'm leaning towards the following:

2x 120mm intake on front
1x 140mm exhaust on rear
h100i intake on top

Is that an odd ratio of intake to exhaust? (given my equipment, theoretically 187CFM:82.5CFM)

Gaz_RB

Making a very budget gaming pc for my friend, and I've came to about here so far.

Any suggestions? I know I could get more power if I tossed in some AMD stuff, but I'm looking to make it fairly upgradable for him down the line.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling UCACO-AP11301-BUA01 Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($9.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $580.91
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2cgPp

kharma45

Making a very budget gaming pc for my friend, and I've came to about here so far.

Any suggestions? I know I could get more power if I tossed in some AMD stuff, but I'm looking to make it fairly upgradable for him down the line.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2cgPp

There is this as an alternative

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($67.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $598.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 19:46 EST-0500)

I'd definitely swap the 650 TiB to a 7850.

BHK3

Banned
Alright, made some slight changes, hows it look? Budget is $750-800, I don't count the moniter as I find that as a necessity.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($80.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($215.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.25 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $846.10
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 19:49 EST-0500)

Gaz_RB

There is this as an alternative

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($67.55 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $598.48
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 19:46 EST-0500)

I'd definitely swap the 650 TiB to a 7850.

Why do you advise the swap? Just wondering, it looks good.

kharma45

Alright, made some slight changes, hows it look? Budget is $750-800, I don't count the moniter as I find that as a necessity.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($80.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($215.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.25 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $846.10
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 19:49 EST-0500)

Thiis is better for less

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $829.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 20:01 EST-0500)

This build gets you a
  • Better mobo
  • cheaper RAM which is just as good
  • Bigger HDD
  • Same GPU just a different name, cheaper
  • Better case
  • Better PSU

Why do you advise the swap? Just wondering, it looks good.

It's cheaper and generally faster in most games, plus it has a wider memory bus and will overclock well.

Gaz_RB

It's cheaper and generally faster in most games, plus it has a wider memory bus and will overclock well.

Thanks man I'll switch it.

I'm considering going without an optical drive for him but I'm not sure how I'll get an OS on there. USB drive i guess?

thespot84

Did anyone get their seasonic PSU's shipped from newegg yet? The thing comes in a fucking velvet bag LOL. I have the most luxurious power supply ever!

Also the 12v power cable is threaded, which is a nice touch

I've got a quick question.

I've got a motherboard that supports ivy bridge and PCIe 3.0. But, it's running a i5-2500k, which only supports PCIe-2.0.

If I upgrade to a faster video card, a PCIe-3.0 video card, I probably won't get super-high frames, but the card will still work, correct? ...the board also supports ivy bridge, and I could upgrade processors too, but my i5-2500k (overclocked) still really doesn't bottleneck me in most games. I'd rather just keep the processor. -- So, what would the consequences of a PCIe-3.0 video card and a i5-2500k be? I might get a few less frames per second due to the limited bandwidth on the i5?
edit: This is my motherboard: a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3856#ov

I've upgraded it to one of the newer bios versions that supports ivy bridge.

kharma45

I've got a quick question.

I've got a motherboard that supports ivy bridge and PCIe 3.0. But, it's running a i5-2500k, which only supports PCIe-2.0.

If I upgrade to a faster video card, a PCIe-3.0 video card, I probably won't get super-high frames, but the card will still work, correct? ...the board also supports ivy bridge, and I could upgrade processors too, but my i5-2500k (overclocked) still really doesn't bottleneck me in most games. I'd rather just keep the processor. -- So, what would the consequences of a PCIe-3.0 video card and a i5-2500k be? I might get a few less frames per second due to the limited bandwidth on the i5?

No single GPU benefits much, if at all, from PCIe 3.

My Corsair Carbide 300R came today (Saturday) via FedEx. Did NOT expect that one.
Did anyone get their seasonic PSU's shipped from newegg yet? The thing comes in a fucking velvet bag LOL. I have the most luxurious power supply ever!

Which one did you get? 660w? I can't fucking wait to see mine.

Haha i was about to post about this, the packaging was a little much.

NomarTyme

Planning on doing a dual monitor setup! Will this step up work?

I'm using my motherboard(HD 4000) DVI and HDMI. I also want to hook it up to my TV so I just bought a HDMI switch. Does all this sound good?

Enthus

So, can anyone help me choose between an Asus Z87 PRO and an Asus Maximus VI Hero? Are there any features between them, save for Z87 PRO having Wi-fi and Hero having better sound, that would influence a purchase?

MC RaZaR

Neo Member

Yeah. You're paying a bit of a premium, so it's nice to get the velvet bag.

i wanted SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X 3GB GDDR5, but it was out of stock everywhere, so i bought the second best model Sapphire VAPOR-X R9 280X

now the toxic is back with $44 more than vapor -including extra fees-

sigh ...

hard luck to me

guek

Banned
Quick question: where is the OP getting some of these prices? Looking at Amazon and Newegg, he seems to be way way off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom