• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicat

One of the first two, the rest is either meh or laptop RAM.
Thanks!

Also which parts are worth getting extended warranties on, if any? I'm building a new comp. Wanna save the cash but also don't wanna be kicking myself in the long run ^^; Let me grab a part list...

harSon

Banned
Guys.

How good will APUs be in the near future? I'm not a graphics whore, and would be content with Xbox One/Playstation 4-esque graphics if need be. Primarily, I want to make an aesthetically pleasing Windows 8 based HTPC, but if possible, I'd like it to be able to play games. I'm 100% set on getting this case though (http://www.streacom.com/products/f1c-evo-chassis) which obviously hinders what parts I can throw into it by quite a bit.

I'm about a decade removed from being a knowledge freaking when it comes to PC parts, so I have no idea what I can and cannot throw into this small of a case, and how powerful I can realistically make it. I saw reports of a recent AMD APU being able to play Battlefield 4 on Medium settings, and that would be perfect for me. Is something like that on the cusp of coming out, and furthermore, how much would it cost?

Could someone help?

If that's not feasible, could someone point me towards components that would fit within the before mentioned case, that could amount to a top notch HTPC (1080P playback/streaming, Bluray, High End audio, etc.) for the cheapest price possible?

kharma45

Thanks!

Also which parts are worth getting extended warranties on, if any? I'm building a new comp. Wanna save the cash but also don't wanna be kicking myself in the long run ^^; Let me grab a part list...

Warranties on most parts are long enough imo for extended ones not to matter.

Guys.

How good will APUs be in the near future? I'm not a graphics whore, and would be content with Xbox One/Playstation 4-esque graphics if need be. Primarily, I want to make an aesthetically pleasing Windows 8 based HTPC, but if possible, I'd like it to be able to play games. I'm 100% set on getting this case though (http://www.streacom.com/products/f1c-evo-chassis) which obviously hinders what parts I can throw into it by quite a bit.

I'm about a decade removed from being a knowledge freaking when it comes to PC parts, so I have no idea what I can and cannot throw into this small of a case, and how powerful I can realistically make it. I saw reports of a recent AMD APU being able to play Battlefield 4 on Medium settings, and that would be perfect for me. Is something like that on the cusp of coming out, and furthermore, how much would it cost?

Could someone help?

If that's not feasible, could someone point me towards components that would fit within the before mentioned case, that could amount to a top notch HTPC (1080P playback/streaming, Bluray, High End audio, etc.) for the cheapest price possible?

Kaveri could be a reasonable APU when it comes out early next year, it'll have roughly the power of a 7750 in the top one so still a bit behind the raw grunt of the Xbox One.

Jessicat

Warranties on most parts are long enough imo for extended ones not to matter.
Ah okay, thanks again!

Okay, before I checkout, I need to figure out a case that will fit all this:
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W Power Supply - $79.99
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Motherboard - $164.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler Fan - $29.99
LG Black Internal Blu-ray Drive - $49.99
GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-2GD GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card - $279.99
Rosewill 5.25" Internal USB Hub & Multi-in-1 Internal Card Reader - $24.99
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 Desktop RAM - $49.99
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB Internal Hard Drive - $79.99
Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor - $239.99
Intel 530 Series SSDSC2BW240A4K5 240GB SSD - $188.69
And then I'll finally have my own computer again! [if I can figure out assembly XD] Help? Would suck to grab the wrong case and it didnt all fit ^^;

kharma45

Ah okay, thanks again!

Okay, before I checkout, I need to figure out a case that will fit all this:

And then I'll finally have my own computer again! [if I can figure out assembly XD] Help? Would suck to grab the wrong case and it didnt all fit ^^;

Swap the G45 to the UD3H. NCIX has a good deal on it http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=92534&promoid=1029

I'd swap the PSU to the 750w Rosewill Hive for $40 after rebate, two decent savings to make.

kharma45

Thanks, took me forever to settle on that MOBO, I hate shopping MOBOs.

UD3H is my favourite Z87 board at the minute. Looks good, performs well and is pretty reasonably priced.

I bought the D3H today and almost got that Hive 750, but I just don't know about the quality.

Quality wise they're grand

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-HIVE-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1460

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/rosewill_hive_750_watt_psu_review,1.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5674/rosewill-hive-550w

Seasonic stuff is better but I've every confidence in the Hive.

Jessicat

Swap the G45 to the UD3H. NCIX has a good deal on it http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=92534&promoid=1029

I'd swap the PSU to the 750w Rosewill Hive for $40 after rebate, two decent savings to make.
No can do, I'm in Canada and that combo deal doesnt seem to appear on the .ca side o_O I kind of despise rebates, instant savings or bust XD I need a case, I'm clueless on how it'll all fit together aside ^^;

*edit* found the motherboard separately, just need the case now~ Can anyone help? Just want to get this all done and bought tonight XD
I need to figure out a case that will fit all this:
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W Power Supply - $79.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler Fan - $29.99
LG Black Internal Blu-ray Drive - $49.99
GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-2GD GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card - $279.99
Rosewill 5.25" Internal USB Hub & Multi-in-1 Internal Card Reader - $24.99
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 Desktop RAM - $49.99
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB Internal Hard Drive - $79.99
Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor - $234.99
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Motherboard - $139.99
Intel 530 Series SSDSC2BW240A4K5 240GB SSD - $188.69

RedSwirl

Rosewill Hive 750w will save you about $25 after rebate

Why the hell would I even need 750w?

I was under the impression that you didn't need wattage like that unless you're loading up a 780 or a titan or SLI cards or something.

And I've already bought the 550. From all I've seen that much should be enough.

I was under the impression that you didn't need wattage like that unless you're loading up a 780 or a titan or SLI cards or something.

It was just a really good deal for a 750w PSU that was cheaper than a lot of lower wattage PSUs.

Quality wise they're grand

I went ahead I got the PSU, now all I need is a cooler.

My GPU says 750w required on the box, plus it has two 8 pin connectors.

RedSwirl

I went ahead I got the PSU, now all I need is a cooler.

My GPU says 750w required on the box, plus it has two 8 pin connectors.

Ah. Mine said 500w recommended. At least that was the official recommendation from nVidia.

Edit: The specific listing at Amazon for my GPU also said minimum 500w recommended, with one 6-pin connector and one 8-pin. IDK. I just did all my compatibility settings according to PCPP and it didn't find any conflicts.

Ah. Mine said 500w recommended. At least that was the official recommendation from nVidia.

Edit: The specific listing at Amazon for my GPU also said minimum 500w recommended, with one 6-pin connector and one 8-pin. IDK. I just did all my compatibility settings according to PCPP and it didn't find any conflicts.

Whats weird is I guess my cards series originally had a 6 and 8 because on the official spec sheet on Sapphires site it calls for 500w. Yet the card is as I described, so they must have bumped it up a bit.

Anton668

alot of it had nothing to do with the amount of wattage. Like myself, I have no need of 750W. But when you can get a (good)750W for cheaper than a (good)550W, why the fuck not is what I say! lol

Opiate

Got the Impact VI for 30 dollars off at Microcenter. Down to:

EVGA GTX 780 Classified
Slot load Blu Ray Burner

I can be quite patient on the former. If you find a deal, let me know.

For those of you that have used both windows 8.1 and 7, which did you prefer?
Both are good, but Metro is the better UI if you're hooking the PC up to an HDTV and sitting some distance from it. I also prefer 8.1's copypaste functionality and task manager to Windows 7's.

NoRéN;91792603 said:
Hey, Crunchy. Found this.

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H Z87 for $165
minus $30 for using V.me by Visa
$15 rebate

alas, they charge shipping. Will ship in 7-21 days.

May just go with the GA-Z87X-D3H at amazon since i have a gift card there. Unless there are any objections?

Rebates are gross, and no free shipping pretty much kills this one as that brings it to about $143 up front, where I can get that same deal from newegg with the 5% off black friday coupon. Which reminds me.

Everyone in this thread should be on the lookout for free trials/free year promotions for Shoprunner. You'll need to give em a CC, but canceling the autoresub is easy and you'll get free 2 day shipping on all newegg orders (and free delivery from dominos to feed your gamer craving once that bad boy gets built)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Got the Impact VI for 30 dollars off at Microcenter. Down to:

EVGA GTX 780 Classified
Slot load Blu Ray Burner

I can be quite patient on the former. If you find a deal, let me know.
I don't think the 780 Classified will ever be on sale, just begin to be sold :p

RedSwirl

Both are good, but Metro is the better UI if you're hooking the PC up to an HDTV and sitting some distance from it. I also prefer 8.1's copypaste functionality and task manager to Windows 7's.

I've thought about that but have decided to go with 7 because I heard of how some games run on it. Plus, I heard it's hard as hell getting GFWL working on 8 and I still need to finish Dark Souls.

Oh, and I'm upgrading from Vista so I haven't even experienced 7 yet.

Opiate

$30 off of what? Off of 225? How?

I had gotten their 200 dollar 4770k. At the time the 4770k/impact were not a bundle, but now they are. So I went in with my 7 day old receipt and got them retroactively bundled with the discounted 200 dollar 4770k AND the mobo bundle. The total for the two of them -- 4770k+impact -- was 401 dollars with tax.

Chocobro

BF Deal alert:

Well I decided to jump on that after thinking about it. Thanks!

This is the build so far after looking at Hazaro's builds in the OP; I haven't chosen a GPU yet because I'm planning to put everything together around May or June time, so why not see what deals I can get until then right? The (quiet?) PC will be used for some video editing, some photo editing, livestreaming, and gaming. I'm open to suggestions! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2bNTr

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ordered a 7970 last night since it was really cheap. Is it possible to use my 560ti as a dedicated Physx card while using the 7970 as a primary graphics card?

kharma45

You don't but...

alot of it had nothing to do with the amount of wattage. Like myself, I have no need of 750W. But when you can get a (good)750W for cheaper than a (good)550W, why the fuck not is what I say! lol

this is why. It's cheap as hell.

Syncytia

NoRéN;91838311 said:
Had to do the same. Too good a deal.

It's taking all I've got not to buy it... I recently switched from full to mid tower and had my extra PSU cables hanging out the right side. Just shoved everything in to convince myself I didn't really need a modular PSU. I guess I don't but...

I need to write "I spent more than enough today" on a chalkboard 1,000 times.

now that my parts are on the way, looking back to my discussions here , i noticed i missed many offers, i'd like to share them:

A-
CPU+MOBO bundle from NCIX
RAM from newgg
but eaither way i couldnt buy any cause they dont accept non-US payments -tho i've US address-

B-
I7-4770K from microcenter cause it was in-store only at $200

C-
I7-4770K from Staples, at the same price as microcenter +shipping/tax to cost around $218.. to be honest i dont know if they accept my payment or not, but i was too late and when i came the day after, the page was deleted !!!

now i'm stuck with I5-4670K for $220, good deal but still aching

not only in PC, i suffered the same for other things.but looking to the bright side , it was fun and nice experience. also i found some other things that washed my sadness away and cheered me up

now let's hope the parts will arrive safe and WORKING!

Ty4on

Guys.

You case has a max heigh for CPU coolers of just 34mm while the stock cooler for AMD AM3+ is 64mm. The FM2 cooler (FM2 is current socket for APUs, FM2+ supports all the old coolers and will support the next Kaveri APUs) is just slightly smaller (couldn't find excact specs) and I couldn't find any coolers that fit. The tiny stock cooler from Intel is 46mm tall for comparison so I think it might be made for CPUs that are integrated on the mobo with a small heatsink rather than regular desktop CPUs.

If you find a cooler that fits (remember that the height has to include the fan) check TDP rating and see if it is 100 or higher because that is what most AMD APUs are.

Edit: Just because it is relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom