• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
What parts are off by a lot? I'll be updating it very soon.

On further evaluation, I think I was mostly mistaken, mainly because I didn't stick strictly to any of your builds. Sorry for the mix up.

I would like some advice on whether or not I should jump on this list I've put together though.

$100 - Cooler Master HAF 922 case
$55 - Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB
$250 - EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB
$50 - CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W
$65 - CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
$165 - ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77
$160 - Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo)
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU fan
$15 - SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE

Total: $890

I've already ordered the case, contemplating the other parts. My only real questions are whether this seems like a decent deal, whether or not I really need that extra fan or if the stock fan will suffice, and whether or not a SSD is really worth shelling out for. I guess I should mention that the only reason I'm going with a 600W PSU over 500W is because the difference in price is $5

tmarg

On further evaluation, I think I was mostly mistaken, mainly because I didn't stick strictly to any of your builds.

I take it you aren't counting rebates in your estimates then? That could be part of why your numbers seem higher than his. I just bought the CX 600 from newegg, and it has an additional $20 rebate.

guek

Banned
I take it you aren't counting rebates in your estimates then? That could be part of why your numbers seem higher than his. I just bought the CX 600 from newegg, and it has an additional $20 rebate.

Yeah I really don't rely on rebates since I've had poor experiences with them in the past. If my rebates come in, I can shave an extra $50 off

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
On further evaluation, I think I was mostly mistaken, mainly because I didn't stick strictly to any of your builds. Sorry for the mix up.

I would like some advice on whether or not I should jump on this list I've put together though.

I've already ordered the case, contemplating the other parts. My only real questions are whether this seems like a decent deal, whether or not I really need that extra fan or if the stock fan will suffice, and whether or not a SSD is really worth shelling out for. I guess I should mention that the only reason I'm going with a 600W PSU over 500W is because the difference in price is $5
I'd get this PSU while it's on sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133

Stock CPU fan is fine since you bought a non overclocking model

kharma45

I'd get this PSU while it's on sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133

Stock CPU fan is fine since you bought a non overclocking model

Since that PSU is OOS this is a cracking alternative http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650xxxb9

Seanspeed

Banned

If you're planning on sticking with that CPU, you can get rid of the CPU cooler and you can get a much cheaper motherboard(one that isn't Z77) to shave off a good $100.

Conversely, you can spend an extra $30, keep the CPU cooler and motherboard, and get an i5 3570k, which will give you massively more performance once overclocked(or just a little bit better performance if not).

About the SSD, its nice, but its hardly essential. Do you power down a lot? Because one of the main benefits of it is the super quick boot times, which wont be all that handy if you keep your PC on most of the time. I don't think you'll be unhappy with a good HDD if you're trying to keep costs down.

BiggNife

So I realize this isn't specifically about pc parts but I figure it would fit here

I'm planning to build a PC within a month, and I saw that SteelSeries is having a big black friday/cyber monday sale so I took a look at their stuff

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the following:

-SteelSeries GuildWars 2 mouse (as far as I can tell it's identical to the SteelSeries Sensei, just cheaper and with a different paint job)

-SteelSeries 6Gv2 (I've heard nothing but good things about mechanical keyboards and it's rare that I see one for $70 or less)

-SteelSeries QcK mousepad (only because this gets me over $100 for free shipping, and the QcK+ looks way too big for my tastes)

All for $100 total.

Am I correct in thinking this is a pretty good deal? Am I making a mistake somewhere? Reading reviews online it looks like SteelSeries has a pretty good reputation for making quality products.

NoRéN

Only the second motherboard will be compatible with the cpu you've chosen.

You will want a Z77 motherboard for your Intel Core i5-3570K LGA 1155 cpu.

guek

Banned
NoRéN;92008039 said:
Only the second motherboard will be compatible with the cpu you've chosen.

You will want a Z77 motherboard for your Intel Core i5-3570K LGA 1155 cpu.

Oh shit you're totally right. Doy. That was pretty dumb of me.

kharma45

So these are the 3 mobos I'm contemplating at the moment:

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87W LGA 1150 Intel Z87 - $98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138381

GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 - $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128541

ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 Intel Z87 - $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981

And I decided to go with the i5-3570K along with whichever I choose. Thoughts?

As said above you need Z77, go for this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

kennah

Wow! Looked at the SteelSeries sale linked earlier. The Flux headset is listed for $20

That is a god damned steal!

Also if you don't care about the branding. They have a Sensei that is all Guild wars'd up for $21. Sucks being broke this weekend :p. I'd get both of those.

guek

Banned
Ok, this is what I ended up going with:

Intel Core i5-3570K
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
XFX P1-650X-XXB9 650W PSU
WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM
SAMSUNG DVD Burner SH-224DB/BEBE
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus fan
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case

Total after rebates: $850

How'd I do?

liquidtmd

Banned
Getting a Bitfenix Prodigy with (likely) an I5-4670. I intend to game mostly, with emulation featuring heavily. I don't intend to Overclock and obviously its locked anyway

- is it worth getting a CPU Cooler (Coolermaster Seidon 120m) or is the stock cooler good enough)

- I'm on a strict budget: I can either stretch to a GTX 770 and downgrade my CPU and cooler (to a 4440 or 4570) or stick with the 4670 and Cooler master potentially going with a GTX 760. What's the better of the two options?

Opinions welcome

kennah

Stock cooler is fine if you aren't overclocking.

Get the 760. There only 10-15% performance difference between it at the 770

kubus

Hey PC GAF. I need some help. I'm not that tech savvy but I do enjoy me some nice pc gaming. I got the following build:

i7-2600K @ 3,4 Ghz
4GB RAM
Radeon HD 6900

I need to upgrade my ram, badly. How should I go about doing this and what would be the my best option? I have 4 slots, with 2x 2GB DDR3 ram. My budget is under €100. Should I go for an extra 2x 2GB? Or can I combine it with, for example, 2x 4GB?

Also how would you say this build is keeping up right now? It's already a few years old. What else would be worth upgrading/is outdated?

Thanks for your help! :D

liquidtmd

Banned
So. You think a GTX 760 and i5-4670k (not overclocked) will finally run vanilla Crysis 1 at 60fps?

58fps. Probably.

In addition to my query above, What is the better choice if any - 1 x 8gb DDR3 RAM or 2x4gb DDR3 RAM (both 1600mhz - Kingston Dual vs Kingston Hyper X Genesis Dual)

Seanspeed

Banned

antonz

So anyone make the jump on the 290/290x cards yet? Im eyeing it and keep going back and forth on it. I only game at 1080P on a 47" so its what some would say overkill but I don't mind the future proofing. It will game at 1080p maxed out for many years.

Seeing powercolor is still the brand to get for unlocking to 290x as well. Shame since XFX is the other but its like a 50/50 chance. XFX allows you to take off their reference cooler without voiding warranty.

kharma45

Hey PC GAF. I need some help. I'm not that tech savvy but I do enjoy me some nice pc gaming. I got the following build:

i7-2600K @ 3,4 Ghz
4GB RAM
Radeon HD 6900

I need to upgrade my ram, badly. How should I go about doing this and what would be the my best option? I have 4 slots, with 2x 2GB DDR3 ram. My budget is under €100. Should I go for an extra 2x 2GB? Or can I combine it with, for example, 2x 4GB?

Also how would you say this build is keeping up right now? It's already a few years old. What else would be worth upgrading/is outdated?

Thanks for your help! :D

Where abouts in the world are you?

Edit - Holland. So, where do you go to buy PC parts? Just to do some pricing up for you.

So anyone make the jump on the 290/290x cards yet? Im eyeing it and keep going back and forth on it. I only game at 1080P on a 47" so its what some would say overkill but I don't mind the future proofing. It will game at 1080p maxed out for many years.

Seeing powercolor is still the brand to get for unlocking to 290x as well. Shame since XFX is the other but its like a 50/50 chance. XFX allows you to take off their reference cooler without voiding warranty.

Wait for the non-references ones, it's not long now.

antonz

Edit - Holland. So, where do you go to buy PC parts? Just to do some pricing up for you.

Wait for the non-references ones, it's not long now.

I just imagine the unlocking ability which is apparently not intended as only 2 brands have sent cards that can be will be fixed by the time non-reference comes out and one of the brands has already seemingly fixed it as more and more cards and not unlocking to full 290x.

kubus

Thanks for your help! I usually use tweakers.net to compare prices but I can also order from amazon.co.uk so you could use that!

kharma45

I just imagine the unlocking ability which is apparently not intended as only 2 brands have sent cards that can be will be fixed by the time non-reference comes out and one of the brands has already seemingly fixed it as more and more cards and not unlocking to full 290x.

I guess if the noise and heat doesn't bother you then they'd be a decent buy if they unlock.

Thanks for your help! I usually use tweakers.net to compare prices but I can also order from amazon.co.uk so you could use that!

£50/€60 for this stuff is alright, better value than the 2x2GB sets http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008XQB264/

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Anyone in this thread have any experience with the Eizo FORIS FG2421 monitor? Trying to find some more impressions of it before pulling the trigger.

One more component needed for the PC I'm building for a buddy, CPU cooler and I'll finally be done keeping close tabs on component prices. Well at least for awhile.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nabbed some stuff from that SteelSeries sale. Thanks.

(click)

I'd wait for custom coolers. Should be really soon.
Ok, this is what I ended up going with:

Intel Core i5-3570K
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
XFX P1-650X-XXB9 650W PSU
WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM
SAMSUNG DVD Burner SH-224DB/BEBE
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus fan
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case

Total after rebates: $850

How'd I do?
Gud
One more component needed for the PC I'm building for a buddy, CPU cooler and I'll finally be done keeping close tabs on component prices. Well at least for awhile.
Just buy a 212 or some rifle cooler on sale for $15
Yep I've been monitoring them too. Was hoping to get some fresh opinions here. ;)
Too rich for my blood right now. Everything sounds incredible though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom