• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

My i5 2500k runs at 4.3. High as it goes. Any reason to upgrade to 4770k? The PC freezes up unless I disable the sleep states, which I think is a motherboard issue, since there are USB 3.0 issues as well. So I'm sort of looking for a reason to upgrade, but won't if there's no performance or future proofing to be gained fr gaming

kennah

My i5 2500k runs at 4.3. High as it goes. Any reason to upgrade to 4770k? The PC freezes up unless I disable the sleep states, which I think is a motherboard issue, since there are USB 3.0 issues as well. So I'm sort of looking for a reason to upgrade, but won't if there's no performance or future proofing to be gained fr gaming
Minimal unless stuff starts using more threads. But a new architecture would be out by the time that becomes a problem anyway. I'd wait.

I'm impressed with how Amazon hasn't missed a beat for me with processing and shipping orders out. NewEgg must be overwhelmed by their Black Friday week orders. Nothing that I've ordered from NewEgg on Wednesday afternoon or later has even shipped yet. With Amazon, I ordered stuff on Friday night and already received it today.

Anyone who have a guide on overclocking the i7 950?

I have an aftermarket cooler and a decent Asus Mobo! I'm idling at around 30-35c degrees.

I wonder if it's realistic to get it to 4,0 GHz?

I'm impressed with how Amazon hasn't missed a beat for me with processing and shipping orders out. NewEgg must be overwhelmed by their Black Friday week orders. Nothing that I've ordered from NewEgg on Wednesday afternoon or later has even shipped yet. With Amazon, I ordered stuff on Friday night and already received it today.

Yeah I'm kinda upset with Newegg/UPS. Ordered stuff last Monday night with ShopRunner 2-day shipping, will arrive tomorrow :(

I ordered a Fractal case from newegg Wednesday and it showed up yesterday, now all my other stuff is in processing still.

Yeah, I'm likely just going to pull the trigger on the 212 Plus on newegg for $25 tomorrow if it isn't any cheaper. I should have all the parts by mid week. I'm also hoping for a decent deal on Windows as well.

I bought an EVO off Amazon yesterday and I think they are sold out, I believe newegg is as well. There must have been a shit ton off complete builds bought last week and everyone rounded out with a 212. Hell I did as an after thought when I needed free shipping for the TES Anthology I got on the flash deal.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Nabbed some stuff from that SteelSeries sale. Thanks.

(click)

Hey, does anyone have any comments on the Steelseries Free Mobile Controller? I know it's true intent is phone games - but it has full compatibility with Windows and OSX. I travel a lot, and I'd love to use this with my MacBook Pro for some light gaming. Yeah, yeah, a KB/M is preferable - but I don't always have the space to use a mouse (plane, for example).

Welp, finally broke and pulled the trigger on everything else. Didn't get any inklings that Cyber Monday was gonna bring anything better than the deals ending tonight (if not I guess I'll pray to the price matching gods). All things considered I came in around my budget of $1k, only reason I really went over was because of the crazy good deal on the 4GB 770. Remaining parts should be here by Friday-ish and I hope to have the whole thing built by the end of the weekend barring any catastrophic events. Wish me luck, PC-GAF.

Damages:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $217.49)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $29.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $149.99)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $52.99)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $59.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $288.40)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N900PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $22.99)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $59.99)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 47.7 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $8.03)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $64.99)
Keyboard: Logitech MK520 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse (Purchased For $42.99)
Total: $1052.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-01 23:19 EST-0500)

for anyone who's looking for 280X , PLEASE DON'T MISS THIS:

SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-R9TC8X3

$349 excluding shipping , use this code: SBZBLKFRDY to waive $15 which is the cost of the shipping, which means it''s almost equal to a free shipping coupon in this item !!

this card is costing only $29 more than it's little brother VAPOR-X

i already took VAPOR-X , TOXIC was out of stock or far more expensive than this.
to be honest i don't remember if i checked in superbiiz before or not, but i'm sure this card FROM THIS RETAIL isn't appearing on pcpartpicker , which i was depending on it most of the time, so it's either i missed it because of this site, or because it was really out of stock even at superbiiz on November 26
BUT because it's available now and still not appearing on pcpartpicker , this means it's the cause of this :\

i wish no one would miss it like me :)

Sora2k7

TOO LATE question

blu-ray movies mostly are region locked, if i want to buy free region player it'd be too much, also an US ps3..

anyways, if i bought a blue-ray player for PC from Lite-On or any other manufacturer , would it play all regions? or it'd be locked also ?

CRS

TOO LATE question

blu-ray movies mostly are region locked, if i want to buy free region player it'd be too much, also an US ps3..

anyways, if i bought a blue-ray player for PC from Lite-On or any other manufacturer , would it play all regions? or it'd be locked also ?

I think it depends on the software to play said Blu-Ray.

when i looked into ASUS's info bout blu-ray readers , got an awful information:

"The PC DVD-ROM users are allowed to change the regional code setting 5 times to play movies in different regions. The drive would be locked after setting for more than 5 times. Once locked, the drive shall be returned to manufacturer to reset counter for further changes. The manufacturer is allowed to reset the counter for 4 times of that drive setting until it no longer changeable afterwards"

so, it's no use to buy an internal blu-ray drive if the region is strict after all

Opiate

So, perhaps I'm not understanding. Does cyber monday even exist? I've certainly been told it does, but I'm not seeing any explicit ads or discussion here.

Read the reviews.
Yeah. I have and they don't sound great...but it does seem legit. A lot of people are frustrated, but it clearly states in the rebate section you have to authenticate/install the software before they'll give you a rebate. So once rebate goes in....just cancel the subscription and uninstall. Screw it, I'm buying.

So, perhaps I'm not understanding. Does cyber monday even exist? I've certainly been told it does, but I'm not seeing any explicit ads or discussion here.
I was wondering the same. TigerDirect is the only place I've seen so far flatout advertise for CyberMonday, but I've just started looking around.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's usually pretty middling and used to offload popular products at like 5% discount or unwanted products at steeper discounts.

If you dig and know hardware you can snap up some nice stuff for cheap, but for others I'd say just go check slickdeals.net or http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726373

Just a question regarding overclocking GPU's. Recently bought a MSI TF 7970 and so far have been happy with it. Was talking to someone who's into computer building and he was telling me to overclock it since the card was made for it and it would be a waste not to. He also said that overclocking the card would yield noticeable results.

So I guess my question is two-fold;

1) Is overclocking my card advisable?
2) Will I see a noticeable improvement in gaming performance if I did OC?

NoRéN

Just a question regarding overclocking GPU's. Recently bought a MSI TF 7970 and so far have been happy with it. Was talking to someone who's into computer building and he was telling me to overclock it since the card was made for it and it would be a waste not to. He also said that overclocking the card would yield noticeable results.

yes and yes.

kharma45

As above, yes and yes.

If you've a good 7970 (by good I mean get lucky in the silicon lottery) you can get reasonably close to a 780 with a good overclock up around ~1.1GHz. I'd pull out some benchmarks but I'm on my phone. Take a look at 280X Toxic reviews to see what a good OC'd card can do.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Didn't see this anywhere but are there minimum/recommended specs for running a monitor at 144hz at 1080p? I ask because I'm eyeing the BenQ XL Series XL2420TE.

I'm running i5-4670, 500GB Samsung evo, evga gtx 770, 8GB RAM.

Slixshot

Banned
My dad runs a computer company and can get me pretty sweet deals. What's the best prebuilt HP or Asus computer between $1250 and $1500? I haven't looked into new pc's for years so I really don't know what to look for anymore. Gaf's advice would be much appreciated

Dr Dogg

Sorry if this has been answered before but I had a quick flick through this thread and a few other places I frequent and didn't see anything.

What's the airflow like with a Bitfinix Prodigy M? I've got a load of spares kicking around and happen to have a m-ATX board so was debating making a small HTPC or streaming box for the living room. Though I've only got a ridiculously hot GTX480 but being a scrooge didn't want to shell out for another card.

Thanks in advance guys.

thespot84

Cross post from the Cyber Monday thread, but I was looking in the Dell store and found this:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700-se/pd?oc=FDDNGX567CM

If I didn't care about the size/weight of the thing, is this currently a good deal?

based on prices i've seen if you don't want to put the effort into building something then it's probably fine. Doesn't seem like a killer deal, and you're at the mercy of dell as to the quality of stuff like the mobo and ram. Also, for a $1000 rig I would expect to see a 760 over a 660 in there.

mkenyon

Banned
Yup. You'd get a better machine out of the Alienware X51 for the same price.
Sorry if this has been answered before but I had a quick flick through this thread and a few other places I frequent and didn't see anything.

What's the airflow like with a Bitfinix Prodigy M? I've got a load of spares kicking around and happen to have a m-ATX board so was debating making a small HTPC or streaming box for the living room. Though I've only got a ridiculously hot GTX480 but being a scrooge didn't want to shell out for another card.

Thanks in advance guys.
Airflow is pretty good. The Prodigy isn't really all that small. My HTPC sits in one though, as I love it. Probably my favorite mass market case ever. Maybe the Fractal Arc...

NoRéN;92072821 said:
yes and yes.

As above, yes and yes.

If you've a good 7970 (by good I mean get lucky in the silicon lottery) you can get reasonably close to a 780 with a good overclock up around ~1.1GHz. I'd pull out some benchmarks but I'm on my phone. Take a look at 280X Toxic reviews to see what a good OC'd card can do.

Sweet thanks for the feedback.

Just regarding the luck factor you mentioned, how can I tell whether I have a "good" card or not? Do I determine it once I run the overclock and see how the card handles it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom