• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hopefully the Windforce 780ti's will be less than 600 by February. I plan on buying 2 of the aftermarket ones around that time.

Out of curiosity, what is the best non reference reviewed 780ti thus far?

Coldsnap

First world problems: Witcher 3 will probably come out before Maxwell. Which means I'll play Witcher 3 on my GTX 780 which is probably good enough, but do I buy a GTX 780 ti to use for a few months? That seems like crazy talk. I'm more excited to play Witcher 3 than just about any game that has come out this generation and next.

My ASUS GTX 780 is a beast though, scores 3,200 on Valley.

BIGWORM

Got a quick question for TechGAF:

mymIH4a.png

Is my vRAM going out?

Anything flash has visual artifacting as well. I've already tried disabling hardware acceleration. Next step is to reinstall flash and GPU drivers,

Small bump to my problem, but it seems reinstalling older drivers (331.40s) fixed my graphic problems. Even some of the OS (Win7 x64) was graphically glitching.

yatesl

[/B]

I have to exact same configuration that I built in july 2012 and I was wondering if you guys can tell me how good/bad is it for today's standards....

I have been playing Splinter Cell Blacklist recently with everything maxed out but AA at FXAA, frame drops if I put anything higher. I was thinking it would be the gpu preventing me to get better frame rates with better AA but I wanted people's opinion.

The CPU is fine. The only thing potentially holding you back is the graphics card, compared to a 770.

BIGWORM

I came up on a little bit of change right now, so I'm debating on what I should get for my PC. I'm only looking to upgrade my GPU at the moment, which is a GTX660. Should I get another 660 and SLi, or buy a 770/780? This will be my first dab into SLi. I have to find my SLi bridge, wherever that is...

Any suggestions?

Red Comet

I came up on a little bit of change right now, so I'm debating on what I should get for my PC. I'm only looking to upgrade my GPU at the moment, which is a GTX660. Should I get another 660 and SLi, or buy a 770/780? This will be my first dab into SLi. I have to find my SLi bridge, wherever that is...

Any suggestions?

As I understand it the rule of thumb is that the best option is to use a strong single card rather than two weaker cards, but I've never used SLI so I couldn't tell you anymore than that.

Best of the best, and crazy OC I think. I'm sure someone here can tell you.

As far as I know the Gigabyte 780 Ti GHz edition is clocked faster than the Classified and it's only priced at $730 (and I think it comes with a backplate). I don't really understand the price on the Classified.

And by chance does anybody know if a 780 Classified backplate would work on a 780 Ti Classified video card? I'm assuming it would because the backplates look identical aside from the logo.

I spent about 5 hours trying to troubleshoot my 780 Ti Classified. The computer wouldn't show the post screen, but it would boot into Windows about 2 or 3 minutes later. That's forever for having an SSD and I need to be able to access the BIOS when I need it. I tried a few things myself before I called EVGA's tech support. I didn't have to wait that long. The first thing they had me try after I told them all the things I did myself was to put the graphics card in the second slot. I did as they asked and that didn't help. The second thing they had me do was to disable the uefi and make the bios legacy mode in my motherboard. Wouldn't you know, that fixed it. I guess I can use UEFI mode with the 780 TI Classified until either EVGA or Asus update their respective BIOS, but the EVGA tech support guy said it would most likely have to be Asus. I'm not sure Asus is going to have another Bios update for my P8P67 Pro considering it's a three year old motherboard. Sucks that I have to run in legacy mode, but the tech support guy said I shouldn't notice a performance difference.

Looks like I might be in need of some PC build advice from you guys now. I was watching a Youtube video when my monitor screen just went blank then I heard the fans (maybe just one not sure) get really loud. Tried to reboot by pressing the power button but nothing happened, so I flipped the power supply button off then back on and tried to power back up and still nothing. Sigh.....

BIGWORM

Looks like I might be in need of some PC build advice from you guys now. I was watching a Youtube video when my monitor screen just went blank then I heard the fans (maybe just one not sure) get really loud. Tried to reboot by pressing the power button but nothing happened, so I flipped the power supply button off then back on and tried to power back up and still nothing. Sigh.....

Onboard video or dedicated GPU?

Red Comet

Did the computer shut off after your screen went black? Sounds like it possibly could be power supply related. I've had two give out on me in the past few years before I built my new computer.

Cutebrute

I bought some parts at a Microcenter today to start my first build in 8 years. I bought most of my stuff at the store, and I have a PSU and RAM coming in by mail. I don't have the money for a GPU yet though. I have a friend offering to sell me his old GTX 280 for $40, but my income is limited for a few weeks and I don't know if I want to put the extra money into a placeholder card. My specs are:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz
SSD: Intel 530 Series 120gb
HDD: Pending, will be 500gb-1tb
PSU: Rosewill 650W 80 Plus Bronze
Case: Corsair 300R Gaming Series

The Intel HD 4600 seems like a decent stop-gap for my needs. I am hoping to get a 280x soon, but is the GTX 280 worth that money as a stop gap? The GTX 280 would set me back a few weeks from my 280x purchase, but if it provides reasonable enough gains I may do it for the added performance - I normally play DOTA 2, but I might start The Witcher 2, depending on the possible performance gains. Any thoughts?

Did the computer shut off after your screen went black? Sounds like it possibly could be power supply related. I've had two give out on me in the past few years before I built my new computer.

Blue light was on still by the power button and I could hear an fan much louder than usual.

I unplugged it and moved it to another socket and the thing wont come on at all now.

Just in case it is can you guysrecommend a good power supply?

I'm regretting only buying a 128 GB SSD. I've filled it up so damn quickly with Steam games (that I actively play). I've 20 GB to spare, but would rather have some more wiggle room. Might sell and pick up a 256. Screw the bit of extra cash it costs.

FoxSpirit

I just wanna say, while it has some mostly hand correctable colour accuracy issues (it greens so green), the panel on the Eizo FG2421 is fantastic. Coming off an IPS, it's like always being in a dusk dull room and then finally be let out into the sun. Actually needed a bit of afapting.

If you can feed 120fps the 240turbo mode cleans up any residual blur.

Together the contrast and motion clarity produce one hell of an easily readable image, visually transparent picture.

If ergonomics don't matter and you want a gaming monitor that offers a picture worth a damn, this is currently your only choice. A pricey one, but a good one.

bro1

Banned
3dmark keeps crashing after it's 5 or 6 loop. I can easily pass occt and furmark though. Highest temp on my 770 is 80c after 15 of furmark. Does this all sound normal?

Roland1979

GAF I need your assistance. Was building a new rig. Fired it up, nothing. No POST, a black screen, can't tell what bleeps since it did not came with front panel plugs for that, only power_sw and reset_sw.

Case is a Fractal R4, MoBo a Gigabyte Z77X-UDH3 (1155) rev 1.2, PSU Seasonic X-650, CPU i5-3570k, Ballastix 2x4GB RAM.

I had and have the power connected to the MoBo, but also above the CPU, heatsink (CM 412s). I have and had the heatsink plugged into CPU_FAN. I unplugged everything and have just the power and heat-sink hooked onto the MoBo with 1 stick of RAM. Outside of the chassis it's booting up (fan spinning and power button on MoBo glowing)and telling me the BIOS and been resetted and how i want to proceed. I've read not to use any washer between the standoffs and the MoBo and it needs the chassis for grounding. I used all and exactly the right amount of stand offs and they align perfectly. Could it be shortcircuited? Or was it more likely one of the many plugs i inserted in a wrong way?

Before i start putting things back into the case can GAF please help me how to proceed?

Hip Hop

People coming over for the holidays so I feel like should connect my PC up to the HDTV so we could do some gaming afterwards.

Now, when I connect an HDMI cable, the screen looses signal for a second. It flickers once or a couple of times and it goes back to normal. Every few minutes, it does it all over again. It does this with any HDMI cable.

Anyone know what could be up? Refresh rate and all is in the right settings too.

My TV only does this when connected to a PC, and my PC is fine when I connect it to the monitor.

Any ideas? Thanks if anyone could help out there.

Chocobro

I got Windows 8 installed and updated it to 8.1. Today I decided I want to change some stuff inside the case and fix my cable management while I wait for my GTX 760 to come.

I have the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler and the Fractal Define R4 case. Should I connect all fans to the motherboard or should I keep my current configuration? The PC wasn't as quiet as I was hoping it to be when I had the NH-D14 fans connected to the motherboard and the two case fans connected to the case's fan speed controller.

EDIT: Both Noctua fans' 3-pin connectors are connected to a Y-cable and goes into the CPU_FAN header and the case fans are connected to the case's fan controller

Thanks for the help kharma45! I just finished my build last Friday.

NZXT SWITCH 810 Matte Black
i5 3570k
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155
EVGA GTX 780 ACX Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
NZXT Kraken X60
ASUS VG248QE Black 24"

Loving it so far. Coming from a Q6600 with GTX 560 Ti.
Windows 8.1 isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Pretty nice actually.

yatesl

Couldnt tell you because now it wont power on at all.

I had a similar issue with my old PC - a spare cable had gotten caught under the motherboard, and it was shorting it with the case. If you still have your PC in bits, might be worth taking the mobo out and having a look.

I got Windows 8 installed and updated it to 8.1. Today I decided I want to change some stuff inside the case and fix my cable management while I wait for my GTX 760 to come.

I have the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler and the Fractal Define R4 case. Should I connect all fans to the motherboard or should I keep my current configuration? The PC wasn't as quiet as I was hoping it to be when I had the NH-D14 fans connected to the motherboard and the two case fans connected to the case's fan speed controller.

EDIT: Both Noctua fans' 3-pin connectors are connected to a Y-cable and goes into the CPU_FAN header and the case fans are connected to the case's fan controller

I have my Fractal R4 fans connected to the motherboard, instead of the controller. CPU cooler in CPU_FAN, then the front and back fans in SYS_FAN1 and SYS_FAN2. I only have the 212 EVO, but my PC is near silent on idle.

Should be always spinning.

It was a question for soulasssns :)

Liamc723

Could anyone tell me generally how much money it would take to build a great gaming PC that would last me a few years? I'm from the UK so £ would be best, thanks.

kharma45

Could anyone tell me generally how much money it would take to build a great gaming PC that would last me a few years? I'm from the UK so £ would be best, thanks.

£750 or so.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£171.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£131.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.44 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Be Quiet Pure Power L8 530W PSU (£60.55)
Other: Sapphire AMD R9 280X 3GB 384 Bit GDDR5 OC Full Retail Pci-E Graphics Card (£219.04)
Total: £753.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 18:49 GMT+0000)

Long shot but does anyone know where I can get a replacement dust filter for my 550D? I only need the top filter, I've looked on Overclockers and they only have third party ones which are stupidly expensive.

RedSwirl

Could someone here tell me how borderless windowed mode works for games? I hear about it a lot but have never seen a reason to do it.

Pretty soon I may have to run Crysis 2 like this (to avoid its 24Hz TV glitch). Is it possible for that game?

Chocobro

I have my Fractal R4 fans connected to the motherboard, instead of the controller. CPU cooler in CPU_FAN, then the front and back fans in SYS_FAN1 and SYS_FAN2. I only have the 212 EVO, but my PC is near silent on idle.

Making this post from the PC :D
Oh I see. How would you connect the CPU cooler fans if you had two? One in the CPU_FAN and another in SYS_FAN3/4? I tested the fans out and the CPU cooler fans are easily the reason why I feel my PC is a bit loud, it's running at full speed; the case fans quiet to me while adjusting the speeds using the fan controller. I'm just worried about the difference in air flow due to having the two CPU cooler fans are different speeds.

Roland1979

I've read that hybrid PSUs, if you want to use the hybrid function, or better of mounting fan up regardless of bottom filter. It stated that the reason for this is that hybrids often don't have fans rotating unless you use a lot of juice. Upside up is supposedly best since heat climbs. I have the R4 and a hybrid (Seasonic X650) so i'm quite curious right now.

GAF I need your assistance. Was building a new rig. Fired it up, nothing. No POST, a black screen, can't tell what bleeps since it did not came with front panel plugs for that, only power_sw and reset_sw.

Case is a Fractal R4, MoBo a Gigabyte Z77X-UDH3 (1155) rev 1.2, PSU Seasonic X-650, CPU i5-3570k, Ballastix 2x4GB RAM.

I had and have the power connected to the MoBo, but also above the CPU, heatsink (CM 412s). I have and had the heatsink plugged into CPU_FAN. I unplugged everything and have just the power and heat-sink hooked onto the MoBo with 1 stick of RAM. Outside of the chassis it's booting up (fan spinning and power button on MoBo glowing)and telling me the BIOS and been resetted and how i want to proceed. I've read not to use any washer between the standoffs and the MoBo and it needs the chassis for grounding. I used all and exactly the right amount of stand offs and they align perfectly. Could it be shortcircuited? Or was it more likely one of the many plugs i inserted in a wrong way?

Before i start putting things back into the case can GAF please help me how to proceed?

Still no answer for first question, hope someone knows. And bumping for second question.

Totakeke

I think the backplate of my MSI Lightning HD7970 is being pushed against the Corsair H90 in my Fractal Node 304 setup leading to problems starting up. It's being pushed to an extent that the connector panels doesn't align properly and is on a slant. When the computer goes to sleep, I can't turn it on again (the computer starts and fans spin on but turn on in 2-3 seconds), then when I reseat the graphics card again which takes several tries, I can turn it on again. There's no issues when the computer has started up, but restarting it is always a problem.

Does this sound like anything other than the graphics card being pushed issue? Can anyone recommend me a different cooler that's slightly smaller sized than the Corsair H90?

xBladeM6x

Edit: I've decided to go with the Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 Red LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Blue Cherry MX), whenever they have them in stock. Also, how is the Logitech G930 Headset?

xkramz

i need quick advice, going from windows 7 to windows 8.1...is that a logical upgrade? would i see any kind of improvements at all?

Nakazato

mobo is here :D pc likely to be built in the next 3 days

I will have likely 150-200 dollars for an upgrade in a few days

Video card suggestions :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom