• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
fill the survey in the OP.
Sure. I did not know I had to after reading the opening post, though. I thought it is a recommended survey, but not a mandatory one. I am sorry for my first post in this thread if it is mandatory.

Basic Desktop Questions:

Your Current Specs: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor/ Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory/ MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard/ Asus HD7750-1GD5-V2 / Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze (TX750) / Case Undecided / Western Digital WD10EZEX/ Samsung MZ-7PC128B/WW
Budget: Under $900 + United States
Main Use: 5
Gaming, Video Editing, Streaming games in HD (Elgato Game Capture HD), Image Development and Editing (Photoshop or G.I.M.P), General Usage (Microsoft Office or Open Office, daily internet communications)

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1080p. Are you going to upgrade later? Yes. Are you buying a new monitor? I have two HDTV/monitor combos, so I think that would be unnecessary.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Elgato Game Capture HD at 1080p fault-free

Is 30FPS acceptable? I prefer sixty frames per second.

How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? I am still learning about these things, so I am uncertain.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No

When will you build?: December 2013 to January 2014.
Do you have a deadline? January 2014
Will you be overclocking?: I will not be overclocking my CPU and I think my video card is already overclocked at 820 MHz.

Sora2k7

Sure. I did not know I had to after reading the opening post, though. I thought it is a recommended survey, but not a mandatory one. I am sorry for my first post in this thread if it is mandatory.

Basic Desktop Questions:

Your Current Specs: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor/ Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory/ MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard/ Asus HD7750-1GD5-V2 / Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze (TX750) / Case Undecided / Western Digital WD10EZEX/ Samsung MZ-7PC128B/WW
Budget: Under $900 + United States
Main Use: 5
Gaming, Video Editing, Streaming games in HD (Elgato Game Capture HD), Image Development and Editing (Photoshop or G.I.M.P), General Usage (Microsoft Office or Open Office, daily internet communications)

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1080p. Are you going to upgrade later? Yes. Are you buying a new monitor? I have two HDTV/monitor combos, so I think that would be unnecessary.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Elgato Game Capture HD at 1080p fault-free

Is 30FPS acceptable? I prefer sixty frames per second.

How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? I am still learning about these things, so I am uncertain.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No

When will you build?: December 2013 to January 2014.
Do you have a deadline? January 2014
Will you be overclocking?: I will not be overclocking my CPU and I think my video card is already overclocked at 820 MHz.

don't worry it not mandatory but it makes it easer to find what you need. :)

Edit:

Your Current Specs is what you have not what you are planning on.

kennah

Well, finally got Windows XP installed and the keyboard working and all updates done.

Random restart on first game I tried running to test the system. Time to update the video card drivers I guess!

don't worry it not mandatory but it makes it easer to find what you need. :)

Edit:

Your Current Specs is what you have not what you are planning on.
Okay.

Since I verified that the current PC I am operating is inadequate for Elgato Game Capture HD before posting here and it can not be upgraded much, I am declining to list its specifications. I will look elsewhere for opinions. Thank you anyway.

Sora2k7

Okay.

Since I verified that the current PC I am operating is not adequate and it can not be upgraded much, I will not be listing its specifications. I will look elsewhere for advice. Thank you anyway.

this is a little over budget (some one may give you a better build) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($126.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $915.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-23 02:36 EST-0500)

all you need is a case

and windows is cheaper on reddit

you can cut the price by getting 8GB instead of 16GB

but for video editing 16 is better

Edit:
this is cheaper but not as good:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-K Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $765.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-23 03:13 EST-0500)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($126.98 @ OutletPC)

all you need is a case

While I appreciate your suggestions, I have already purchased the motherboard, video card, and RAM I listed in my earlier posts as well as that Solid State Drive. All I need is a few more parts. Supervision is optional. Thank you again.

Sora2k7

While I appreciate your suggestions, I have already purchased the motherboard, video card, and RAM I listed in my earlier posts as well as that Solid State Drive. All I need is a few more parts. Supervision is optional. Thank you again.

then make sure that you get the i5 4670k. since otherwise you wasted money on the MB

all you need is a case

Edit:
this is cheaper but not as good:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-K Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $765.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-23 03:13 EST-0500)

May I ask where you can find Windows cheaper on Reddit? And whether it also can be used in Europe?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You'll be able to keep your case powersupply and hard drive. Budget for the upgrade?

I had figured as much. keeping the powersupply will be a nice bonus I guess.

Budget won't be hard and fast. I'm tossing up by going all in on a high end thing, but I generally want to be able to run newer FPS without framerate drops for a good long while. I'm thinking higher end.

danthefan

Looking to upgrade my graphics card from a 580GTX, is there anything out there in the sort of mid-price range (maybe €350?) that would be a significant improvement?

Or, and I know you could be playing this game until the end of time, is it worth waiting for anything that's coming out soon?

kharma45

Looking to upgrade my graphics card from a 580GTX, is there anything out there in the sort of mid-price range (maybe €350?) that would be a significant improvement?

Or, and I know you could be playing this game until the end of time, is it worth waiting for anything that's coming out soon?

280X would be when the prices normalise on it http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/768?vs=767

770 too if you'd rather stick to Nvidia http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/829?vs=767

There should be a decent jump later this year though with the 20nm cards if can hold out on your 580 (still a great card that), although it remains to be seen what price they'll be, when they'll come and stock availability.

danthefan

280X would be when the prices normalise on it http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/768?vs=767

770 too if you'd rather stick to Nvidia http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/829?vs=767

There should be a decent jump later this year though with the 20nm cards if can hold out on your 580 (still a great card that), although it remains to be seen what price they'll be, when they'll come and stock availability.

Thanks. I'm not in a massive rush to buy something but I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade for The Witcher 3, which is probably 6-9 months away anyway. Will hang on then and see what's coming down the line.

Edit - that site is awesome, never heard of it before, cheers.

kharma45

kadotsu

Banned
I just finished the first draft of my new PC. I've been out of the hardware loop so if there are some obvious improvements that could be made I would appreciate the feedback.

pcbijzl.jpg

FYI I'll probably get my next PC when PCIe 4.0 and DDR4 are on the market and affordable.

HoosTrax

What's the point of Sapphire having an support section on their website to begin with, if they're just going to give you the runaround and direct you to their third party RMA company that requests the exact same information you already provided directly to Sapphire.

I think I might just order a GTX 780 vanilla, and once it arrives, send my 7970GE off to RMA. Once it gets back, I'll get rid of the 7970 for good, to a miner. I'm not sure if it was loud as the blazes because one of the fans was broken, but it was not one of the better cards I've owned, noise and temperature-wise, and I don't know that even with both fans working, it'd be a huge improvement.

For future reference, are there actually any decent AMD partners, support-wise? XFX, I assume? I was actually really surprised when I found out the other day that they're no longer in the green camp.

Also, I fully understand why they wouldn't just send me a new heatsink + fan assembly via one-way shipping and let me install it myself, but it still feels silly to go to such trouble for a marginally technical issue.

Azzurri

Look what showed up
I'll be doing a live unboxing at about 3PM CST at twitch.tv/costanzathemage

Edit: No unboxing unfortunately. I had very little sleep so I'd rather not do a sub par broadcast with no energy.

Looks good, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one. I'm going to get Newegg to price match Amazons price since I have some newegg credit, and they give you three free games I can sell.

cdyhybrid

Christmas has been kind to me, might not have to wait until January to buy my shit! Think Amazon will discount any of this stuff after Christmas?

mhUlPvj.jpg

NoRéN

If you were waiting for discounts, the time has passed.

Drop the arctic silver as the Hyper 212 comes with paste that's good enough.

if you really want to compare prices to see if amazon has had these items cheaper, use this site.
http://us.camelcamelcamel.com/
copy the link to the item you want to compare and paste it in the search bar on top.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, if you wanted discounts you should have been buying around Black Friday and through early/mid December. You're not going to get anything more than standard fare discounts (read: nothing really good) at this point.

cdyhybrid

NoRéN;94595974 said:
If you were waiting for discounts, the time has passed.

Drop the arctic silver as the Hyper 212 comes with paste that's good enough.

if you really want to compare prices to see if amazon has had these items cheaper, use this site.
http://us.camelcamelcamel.com/
copy the link to the item you want to compare and paste it in the search bar on top.

Yeah, if you wanted discounts you should have been buying around Black Friday and through early/mid December. You're not going to get anything more than standard fare discounts (read: nothing really good) at this point.

Alright cool. I figured there wouldn't be anything, just making sure. Didn't have the money (or the interest really) to get the stuff back during Black Friday, so whatever. Thanks!

yatesl

I love watching Newegg TV's YouTube channel, but seeing them build PCs makes me realise how terrified and paranoid I was building mine.

For example, cut to 7 minutes 30 seconds on this, and their fingers are all up on that motherboard. When I built mine, I was petrified of anything going anywhere NEAR it.

I remember I was building it on the table downstairs, and I must have grabbed the radiator 10 times a minute, to make sure there was no static.

hwateber

I love watching Newegg TV's YouTube channel, but seeing them build PCs makes me realise how terrified and paranoid I was building mine.

For example, cut to 7 minutes 30 seconds on this, and their fingers are all up on that motherboard. When I built mine, I was petrified of anything going anywhere NEAR it.

I remember I was building it on the table downstairs, and I must have grabbed the radiator 10 times a minute, to make sure there was no static.

Haha. When I built my first PC I was scared as fuck putting the CPU in. I didn't know you had to apply that much force

yatesl

Haha. When I built my first PC I was scared as fuck putting the CPU in. I didn't know you had to apply that much force

Don't talk to me about CPUs. That went in fine, but the idea of having to install a fan bracket on the back (before I realised I could have done it whilst it was in the case)? Madness.

Oh yeah, I think everyone is paranoid when they first build a PC. The videos help though, although the paranoia comes back whenever a part is a pain in the ass to install.

yatesl

Oh yeah, I think everyone is paranoid when they first build a PC. The videos help though, although the paranoia comes back whenever a part is a pain in the ass to install.

Heh - I know now that PCs are sturdy things. However, I still get the 5 minutes of rocks-in-stomach when I turn my PC on after messing about with the insides. I remember a few months ago my PC randomly stopped recognising my SSD, after I cleaned out the inside of the PC (it wasn't even that dusty!). I may have used a vacuum to do it... For the next 20 minutes, it was just "Why God, why did I do that? I didn't need to. The PC was working fine! Why did I mess around!"

Turns out Crucial M4's can throw a bit of a hissy fit if you turn them on and off repeatedly, and you have to turn it on and leave it for about half an hour before it wakes up again.

BIGWORM

It's all about static discharge, which is something you ABSOLUTELY want to avoid. I personally grab all kinds of chASSis to make sure any static electricity I've built up is discharged, and I wear shoes. For extra protection, you can always use an anti-static bracelet for $5 anywhere online.

During my first time of building my own system, I think I was more scared of incorrectly installing my mobo standoffs correctly and shorting the mobo. After that, I think the next scariest thing was installing an old TT HSF from like 2007 or something.

Red Comet

Look what showed up
I'll be doing a live unboxing at about 3PM CST at twitch.tv/costanzathemage

Edit: No unboxing unfortunately. I had very little sleep so I'd rather not do a sub par broadcast with no energy.

I really want this and I have money set aside for a graphics card, but I'm torn between this and the Gigabyte 780 Ti GHz Edition. On paper the Gigabyte card looks like a better buy because it has got a faster base and boost clock and I think it is cheaper, but I don't really know a lot about Gigabyte cards. Would it be worthwhile waiting for that card or should I get one of the EVGA 780 Ti's?

Well after making decisions on all my computer build parts. I still cannot decide on the video card. I would like to build the pc sooner rather than later. Going back and forth a lot on waiting for AMD Radeon r9 cards to go back to a normal price or just getting one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487003

Any opinions would be awesome.

Personally I like to go with Nvidia, with all the extra stuff in terms of software they offer. And maybe you would want GSync in the future or something.

I'm noticing a few graphical problems with some games, like Alan Wake. I recorded a video:

http://youtu.be/l1yM-9-aqa8

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag appears to also have this kind of problem, distant objects appear to pop up.

So I was wondering if there is anything wrong with my GPU.

My PC configuration: i5 3570k, Geforce GTX 670 and 8GB of RAM.

Well after making decisions on all my computer build parts. I still cannot decide on the video card. I would like to build the pc sooner rather than later. Going back and forth a lot on waiting for AMD Radeon r9 cards to go back to a normal price or just getting one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487003

Any opinions would be awesome.

Also which company would be better to go with for the gtx 780 ti

EVGA
or
MSI?

Both have their own custom cooled graphics cards available now.

I'm noticing a few graphical problems with some games, like Alan Wake. I recorded a video:

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag appears to also have this kind of problem, distant objects appear to pop up.

I have to exact same configuration that I built in july 2012 and I was wondering if you guys can tell me how good/bad is it for today's standards....

I have been playing Splinter Cell Blacklist recently with everything maxed out but AA at FXAA, frame drops if I put anything higher. I was thinking it would be the gpu preventing me to get better frame rates with better AA but I wanted people's opinion.

Bad LOD implementation. I had the same issues with both of those games on my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom