• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I need help picking out a new CPU and GPU. My old Phenom II x4 965 and HD 6870 are really showing their age and I want to upgrade within the next 6 months. But I don't want to break the bank doing so (I'd say my limit is $500).

• Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE / 8gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM / ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 AM3+ Mobo / XFX Radeon HD 6870 1gb / Corsair CX600, 600w PSU 80 Plus Bronze / Cooler Master Elite 430 Tower / 2x Samsung Spinpoint 500gb 7200rpm HDDs
  • Budget: ~$500 - USA
  • Main Use: Gaming - 5, General Usage - 4, Video Editing - 3.
  • Monitor Resolution: 1600x900. I plan to stay at this for the foreseeable future.
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: DayZ Standalone, Battlefield 4, Civilization V, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and any future Elder Scrolls or Fallout titles at Max/Ultra settings at a solid 60fps.
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: I'd like to keep my mobo, RAM, PSU, Case, and HDDs. I am most focused on raw CPU/GPU power right now. Eventually I'll get a more cable-management friendly case, but that isn't my priority right now.
  • When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?: Before the release of Dragon Age: Inquisition.
  • Will you be overclocking?: Most likely no, I will have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cooler, so I probably will be able to OC my CPU if I need to.
If you keep the rest of your parts and sub in:
Biostar Z87
GTX660 (or equivalent)

that should be exactly $500, an OS SSD for another $60 would be nice too.

You aren't really going to get much of a CPU upgrade unless you buy an Intel CPU. AMDs current offerings aren't really much better than what you're using now, not really worth the cost of upgrading.

I know you said you most likely won't OC, but that's really your best bet right now. 965 being BE, that makes it really easy to OC thanks to the unlocked multiplier, and you already have a nice cooler. I'd probably buy some VRM heatsinks if you do try to OC. They're just little once you stick on and run fairly cheap.

Other than that I'd just say get a SSD and use the money left to buy a GPU.

If you keep the rest of your parts and sub in:
Biostar Z87
GTX660 (or equivalent)

that should be exactly $500, an OS SSD for another $60 would be nice too.
So OCing my CPU and getting, say a 7870 2gb (now the R9 270x) would be more than enough to handle my listed games at Ultra 60fps? I checked some benchmarks and the 7870 comes out over the 660 by about 5 frames, running BF3 at Ultra on 1920x1200 at 56fps while the 660 does 51fps (at 1600x900 I should be golden, plus the 7870 supports Mantle). I'm just worried that the 2gb of VRAM won't be enough in either card to run newer games at Ultra/Max.

yatesl

I have a question. Earlier this year (around June - I posted in this very topic), I built this completely new PC. I gave my old one to my family, although it doesn't get used for much. The build is as follows:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£21.35 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper II Sector 5 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) (£98.99 @ Aria PC)
Other: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Other: Club 3D ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Other: Sony Optiarc AD-5240S 24x Internal SATA DVDRW
Other: Edimax 802.11g EW-7128g Wireless PCI Card
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-22 21:16 GMT+0000)

Ignore any prices. The current hard drive has a 7200 1TB drive in it, but the OS is installed on a 5400 laptop hard drive (so it runs as slow as anything). At the time, I started looking at upgrading... and fell in to aforementioned rabbit hole of just buying brand new stuff. My question is, if I did just get a new graphics card (760 or something), would it still be a decent spec? I know it could do with an extra 4GB of RAM, and the CPU is from 2010.

It'd be nice for my brother, especially as he's still just playing the Xbox 360 at the minute (despite that PC still being able to pull ~30 on medium on newish games, especially at 720).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So OCing my CPU and getting, say a 7870 2gb (now the R9 270x) would be more than enough to handle my listed games at Ultra 60fps? I checked some benchmarks and the 7870 comes out over the 660 by about 5 frames, running BF3 at Ultra on 1920x1200 at 56fps while the 660 does 51fps (at 1600x900 I should be golden, plus the 7870 supports Mantle). I'm just worried that the 2gb of VRAM won't be enough in either card to run newer games at Ultra/Max.
No. Civ and BF4 love CPU. 'Ultra' means different things to different people and $200 is still mid (sweetspot) range, it's not $300+.
I suggested that GTX660 since it's $165 and 270X's are $200-$210 now.
I have a question. Earlier this year (around June - I posted in this very topic), I built this completely new PC. I gave my old one to my family, although it doesn't get used for much. The build is as follows:

Ignore any prices. The current hard drive has a 7200 1TB drive in it, but the OS is installed on a 5400 laptop hard drive (so it runs as slow as anything). At the time, I started looking at upgrading... and fell in to aforementioned rabbit hole of just buying brand new stuff. My question is, if I did just get a new graphics card (760 or something), would it still be a decent spec? I know it could do with an extra 4GB of RAM, and the CPU is from 2010.

It'd be nice for my brother, especially as he's still just playing the Xbox 360 at the minute (despite that PC still being able to pull ~30 on medium on newish games, especially at 720).
Just drop in a $150-$200 GPU. Something like a 650Ti Boost or 660 would be great for a lot of titles.

BIGWORM

Got a quick question for TechGAF:

mymIH4a.png

Is my vRAM going out?

Anything flash has visual artifacting as well. I've already tried disabling hardware acceleration. Next step is to reinstall flash and GPU drivers, which I'm already downloading the GPU drivers as I type this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

No. Civ and BF4 love CPU. 'Ultra' means different things to different people and $200 is still mid (sweetspot) range, it's not $300+.
I suggested that GTX660 since it's $165 and 270X's are $200-$210 now.

Yeah, Hazaro's suggestion is better for the long term anyway. Unless games get a lot more heavily multithreaded in the near future a 4670K is going to last you a long time. Even with my 2500K I feel like my motherboard features are going to limit me before my CPU performance. So you should be good for now with a 4670K + 660 (or 270, or 7870 depending on availability and pricing) and later you should only need a GPU upgrade.

Yeah, Hazaro's suggestion is better for the long term anyway. Unless games get a lot more heavily multithreaded in the near future a 4670K is going to last you a long time. Even with my 2500K I feel like my motherboard features are going to limit me before my CPU performance. So you should be good for now with a 4670K + 660 (or 270, or 7870 depending on availability and pricing) and later you should only need a GPU upgrade.
So it would be a better investment to get an Intel socket mobo, Intel CPU, and only a mid-range GPU for better futureproofing?

Nebula

AMD 8 core 4.4ghz
16GB RAM
256gb SSD
Geforce GTX 660
corsair h60 liquid cooler
Asus mx450 motherboard
3 variable high speed fans
bronze 750w PCU
MoBo and power suply sli ready

So I can pick this up from a friend (already built and sitting in his house) for £500. Leaves me about £350/£400 for any potential upgrading and new Monitor/s, Keyboard and Mouse ect. Any recommendations?

yatesl

AMD 8 core 4.4ghz
16GB RAM
256gb SSD
Geforce GTX 660
corsair h60 liquid cooler
Asus mx450 motherboard
3 variable high speed fans
bronze 750w PCU
MoBo and power suply sli ready

So I can pick this up from a friend (already built and sitting in his house) for £500. Leaves me about £350/£400 for any potential upgrading and new Monitor/s, Keyboard and Mouse ect. Any recommendations?

Replacing the 660 with a 770 wouldn't hurt.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So it would be a better investment to get an Intel socket mobo, Intel CPU, and only a mid-range GPU for better futureproofing?

Most likely, yes. I hate saying anything is good for futureproofing but i5/i7 K CPUs are among the best bets for the long term based on what we know right now.

KAL2006

Banned
I am going to repost my old specs and planning a new update.

Antec 300 (2 front 120 mm fans to cool the hard drives, 1 side 120 x 25 mm Fan to cool graphic cards)
Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU
XFX HD 4870 1GB DDR5
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 6MB L3
(SB700) ASUS M4A78 770 Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard (CPU Power up to 125W)
Corsair 4Gb (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Memory CL5 (5-6-6-18) 2.1V
Western Digital WD1001FALS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM Caviar Black
Samsung SH-S223 22X DVD±RW/RAM/DL Serial ATA Black Bare Drive

I have decided I want to do a big update instead of a half measure. Can I salvage anything from the above for a new PC. I know I can keep the hardrive, CD Drive, but what about the case and PSU.

NoRéN

Anyone with experience building servers?

Is it possible to build a server for around $400? Can't consume too much power and be good for about 50 people.

I have no idea. My neighbor asked.

Skidd

Prices flucate so fast but here's some cheaper ram:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YG9EEW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Thanks for the suggestion but it seems that there isn't much of a price difference between the two at where I'm getting the parts from (EU). Well, actually they just don't seem to have that particular model.

I'm just asking because I've picked a rather pricey motherboard and power supply so far. I guess what I'm just wondering right now is if the build is competent enough.

brentech

NoRéN;94491415 said:

Is it possible to build a server for around $400? Can't consume too much power and be good for about 50 people.

Depends on the game and whether the game can run on a Linux server.
Generally speaking, servers need a good CPU and a decent bit of Ram. Hopefully he already has excellent Internet for upload/download with 50 people in mind.

The answer is likely not for 400, but older stuff may be feasible, if everything happens to fall into place. Likely not.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NoRéN;94491415 said:

lol

You can get a Dell 'Server' which is a gimped Celeron with a 500GB HDD and 4GB of RAM on a shitty motherboard with no features and non-redundant PSU with no battery backup and no backup solution for $400.
50 people is a large amount, the price for that solution is easily mid-thousands depending on their usage case.

You can setup something like network storage on a Win 7 machine and just slap HDD's into it. Without spending a lot of time with him no one will be able to configure what he needs.

NoRéN

Depends on the game and whether the game can run on a Linux server.
Generally speaking, servers need a good CPU and a decent bit of Ram. Hopefully he already has excellent Internet for upload/download with 50 people in mind.

The answer is likely not for 400, but older stuff may be feasible, if everything happens to fall into place. Likely not.

lol

You can get a Dell 'Server' which is a gimped Celeron with a 500GB HDD and 4GB of RAM on a shitty motherboard with no features and non-redundant PSU with no battery backup and no backup solution for $400.

Server setup alone is $400 minimum. 50 people is a stupidly large amount, the price for that solution is easily mid-thousands depending on their usage case.
That's what i figured. He said something about client backups and whatnot so not for gaming i suppose. I had to try and keep a straight face since he doesn't work, or go anywhere for that matter, and spends nights out in the garage smoking and drinking. Can't imagine when he meets with these "clients".

But I figure i would ask mostly for my benefit. Doesn't hurt to learn more.

Is there a good way to swap out a motherboard while leaving all my other components intact? Is it going to screw up drivers or Windows activation or anything like that?

brentech

Is there a good way to swap out a motherboard while leaving all my other components intact? Is it going to screw up drivers or Windows activation or anything like that?

is it the same exact model of mother board? if not, probably going to be an issue, and also if you have OEM windows version, the license won't transfer

is it the same exact model of mother board? if not, probably going to be an issue, and also if you have OEM windows version, the license won't transfer

No, I'll be changing models. And I don't believe it's an OEM copy of Windows. As long as the thing boots into the OS I should be able to sort out driver issues. I just really don't want to have to reinstall Windows unless it's absolutely necessary.

brentech

No, I'll be changing models. And I don't believe it's an OEM copy of Windows. As long as the thing boots into the OS I should be able to sort out driver issues. I just really don't want to have to reinstall Windows unless it's absolutely necessary.

eh, you can do a backup and store it on another drive or something, but i'd expect quite a few conflict errors that simply updating drivers won't fix. i get that reinstalling is time consuming, but changing out for a different motherboard could create some serious headaches

kennah

Swapping motherboards will almost definitely kill your windows install. IF you can boot into safe mode you might get a chance to change the drivers but most likely you will get constant blue screens for even trying.

kharma45

Swapping motherboards will almost definitely kill your windows install. IF you can boot into safe mode you might get a chance to change the drivers but most likely you will get constant blue screens for even trying.

Not in my experience. I swapped motherboards there a few months ago and it was pretty easy really. Just plugged everything back in as normal, PC booted as normal bar it telling me Windows wasn't activated so quick call with MS and got the key moved over.

I was going to say maybe it's a Windows 8 thing but my brother did the exact same thing on Windows 7 and same result. Just plugged it all in and quick call to MS.

kennah

Not in my experience. I swapped motherboards there a few months ago and it was pretty easy really. Just plugged everything back in as normal, PC booted as normal bar it telling me Windows wasn't activated so quick call with MS and got the key moved over.

I was going to say maybe it's a Windows 8 thing but my brother did the exact same thing on Windows 7 and same result. Just plugged it all in and quick call to MS.
I think it depends on what you are switching from/to. If it is from z68-z77 I think it would work. Just did a friend's c2duo to a z77 and it was blue screens like crazy. I think amd to Intel would cause the same problems too.

Doesn't hurt to try I guess but after many failures I try to not risk it when I can.

Roland1979

I've read that hybrid PSUs, if you want to use the hybrid function, or better of mounting fan up regardless of bottom filter. It stated that the reason for this is that hybrids often don't have fans rotating unless you use a lot of juice. Upside up is supposedly best since heat climbs. I have the R4 and a hybrid (Seasonic X650) so i'm quite curious right now.

Anyone?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, so I got home from a little christmas gathering and my computer wouldn't load windows. I don't know what it was. I tried every configuration of accesories and such but it wouldn't budge so I just reformatted. Typing this as the nvidia drivers insall... I have like 430 gigs of free space. :3

kharma45

I think it depends on what you are switching from/to. If it is from z68-z77 I think it would work. Just did a friend's c2duo to a z77 and it was blue screens like crazy. I think amd to Intel would cause the same problems too.

Doesn't hurt to try I guess but after many failures I try to not risk it when I can.

Fair point, I'd interpreted that post that it was only the mobo that was changing. I was just changing from Z75 to Z77 and he was changing from one FM1 board to another. I'd imagine changing socket would give a lot of interesting results.

x3sphere

I went X58 to z77 and no issues on Win 8.

diaspora

Damn, so I got home from a little christmas gathering and my computer wouldn't load windows. I don't know what it was. I tried every configuration of accesories and such but it wouldn't budge so I just reformatted. Typing this as the nvidia drivers insall... I have like 430 gigs of free space. :3

Windows 8 blue screen where it doesn't load winload.exe? If you're using multiple drives, swap the sata connections.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nah I'm still on Windows 7. My install has been in disarray. I've been doing all kinds of funky stuff lately and typically would only keep about 100 megaBYTES free on my SSDs.

Overall this is a net positive. I think I lost some save games but who really cares about that.

kennah

I've never tried on Win 8 but thanks for filling me in on your experiences everyone! I won't rule it completely out in the future.

But still doing a complete reload for the change from AM2 to FM2 for my grandma tomorrow :)

A Christmas miracle!

I put together all the components in a new case, did cable management, closed up everything and it started at the first power button press! Hasn't ever happened to me in about 16 years of building PCs.

Also, windows phone activation is shite. I had to re-install windows 2 times in 24 hours so they had me call them. 9 sets of 6 digit numbers to read out to them? And then they read back 8 sets of 6 digit numbers? Who came up with this stuff?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing like that boot on first power on. That's what I got when I built the rig I'm running too.

It's like

American megatrends

And you're like

Awwww yeah

Josh378

You guys, you think I am going in the right direction in my PC building:

Currently Purchased:

-Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case

-ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

-CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

-Hydro Series™ H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (Refurbished)

Buying in January 2014:

-Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

-SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

-G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C8D-16GTX

-WD RE WD200MFYYZ 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

-ASUS R9290-4GD5 Radeon R9 290 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

What do you guys think? What should I improve on?

NoRéN

Really? Lucky. I had to switch out a bad motherboard on an old build and took a few tries to get it go work before having to finally call microsoft to have them authenticate my window copy.

However, I was on windows 7.

kennah

Awesome. Doing a fresh install on the new motherboard for my grandma's computer and getting nothing but blue screens. Shitty.

Edit: blue screen was from Windows XP shitting the bed with AHCI hard drive mode. Changed to IDE emulation

Next step: getting my usb mechanical keyboard to work long enough to install

liquidtmd

Banned
Cooling and acoustics wise, how do you think a Bitfenix Prodigy Mini would handle an I5-4670 + GTX760 combo with just stock cooling primarily used for gaming / emulation? Storage wise I'm going for a 120GB SSD Kingston Hyper3K and a 1TB WD Black HDD.

For a bonus round question, motherboard wise for the above is their much difference between the Asus H81l-plus and the H87l-plus? Thanks guys

Roland1979

I've read that hybrid PSUs, if you want to use the hybrid function, or better of mounting fan up regardless of bottom filter. It stated that the reason for this is that hybrids often don't have fans rotating unless you use a lot of juice. Upside up is supposedly best since heat climbs. I have the R4 and a hybrid (Seasonic X650) so i'm quite curious right now.

Anyone?

tr4656

Cooling and acoustics wise, how do you think a Bitfenix Prodigy Mini would handle an I5-4670 + GTX760 combo with just stock cooling primarily used for gaming / emulation? Storage wise I'm going for a 120GB SSD Kingston Hyper3K and a 1TB WD Black HDD.

For a bonus round question, motherboard wise for the above is their much difference between the Asus H81l-plus and the H87l-plus? Thanks guys

Prodigy Mini should be fine.

I noticed this thread and decided to post in it because it seems good.

I have a Acer Aspire laptop and I recently bought Elgato Game Capture HD. Its processor is not powerful enough to stream videos or record 1080p without flaws, so I made a decision to build a custom PC originally for that device because I intend to upload videos to the internet and stream videos to places like Twitch. Future-proofing it is a prudent idea and logical, so I am designing a Haswell build.

Here is the hardware I have chosen with www.pcpartpicker.com:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2 GHz Quad core
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
GPU: ASUS HD7750-1GD5-V2 AMD Radeon HD 7750 VGA 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

I need to choose a power supply next as well as an HDD for space and a case. Seven hundred and fifty watts may be more than what is required for my build, but I would rather my hardware be safe that in danger of damage. Also, an optical drive and a wireless network adapter would be good for my living conditions. After using Windows 8 since August this year, I will surely be using it for my new computer as the primary operating system.

My questions to users here about this hardware and Elgato Game Capture HD. Is this hardware good enough to use the full capabilities of Elgato Game Capture HD? I would also like a second opinion about whether or not this build will be adequate for the next couple years of modern gaming without upgrading anything besides the GPU and maybe installing another HDD.

Thank you for any replies.

Chocobro

How do I change the boot order in the Gigabyte Z87-UD3H UEFI/BIOS? In the "Save & Exit" tab, Boot override is there, and I want to have the SSD come before the HDD.

xkramz

Got my ssd up and running. So how do you guys balance out your regular hdd with ssd? Apps and games on ssd and media on hdd ? Or apps and media on hdd and games on ssd ?

Sora2k7

I noticed this thread and decided to post in it because it seems good.

I have a Acer Aspire laptop and I recently bought Elgato Game Capture HD. Its processor is not powerful enough to stream videos or record 1080p without flaws, so I made a decision to build a custom PC originally for that device because I intend to upload videos to the internet and stream videos to places like Twitch. Future-proofing it is a prudent idea and logical, so I am designing a Haswell build.

Here is the hardware I have chosen with www.pcpartpicker.com:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2 GHz Quad core
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
GPU: ASUS HD7750-1GD5-V2 AMD Radeon HD 7750 VGA 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

I need to choose a power supply next as well as an HDD for space and a case. Seven hundred and fifty watts may be more than what is required for my build, but I would rather my hardware be safe that in danger of damage. Also, an optical drive and a wireless network adapter would be good for my living conditions. After using Windows 8 since August this year, I will surely be using it for my new computer as the primary operating system.

My question to users here is, is this hardware good enough to use the full capabilities of Elgato Game Capture HD and if it is good enough for a couple years of modern gaming without upgrading anything besides the GPU and maybe installing another HDD.

Thank you for any replies.

fill the survey in the OP.

Hey guys I was wondering what my CPU temperature should be? When I run Bf4 maxed, my CPU temperature has been around 50ish C. And what about GPU temperature as well?

OCZ-ZX 1000W PSU, 8GB DDR3, i5-3570 K @3.4 Ghz, ASUS P8Z77-V, Sapphire Radeon X HD 7970 Ghz 3 GB.

Hey guys I was wondering what my CPU temperature should be? When I run Bf4 maxed, my CPU temperature has been around 50ish C. And what about GPU temperature as well?

OCZ-ZX 1000W PSU, 8GB DDR3, i5-3570 K @3.4 Ghz, ASUS P8Z77-V, Sapphire Radeon X HD 7970 Ghz 3 GB.
That temp is normal for a CPU, GPU temperature is good to keep below 90 I have read, although most have an upper limit of 100. Mine has been running at 80 on full load since I bought it in '11 with an aftermarket cooler and it is still running strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom