• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

So I have a Phenom x6 on an AM3+ motherboard, which I bought very recently to replace a fried AM3 board. I'm thinking of waiting for Steamroller, but getting an interim CPU. Should I just get a FX-8350 or wait for the closest FX-9000 series equivalent? The price of the 9590 is redonkulols.

I don't really want to switch to Intel after changing the MB so recently.

Overclock and wait for Steamroller is what I would do.

I received my KFA2 GeForce GTX 760 EX OC £185 :D and it overclocks great:-

Sweet!

woah, so my card is getting 85ºC when playing thanks to being fucking hot in here.

If I underclock it a little bit will the temps cool a bit? I know there are risks when overclocking but are there any with underclocking? Never had to underclock anything :D

wat. That is awesome, never thougth of it...what could my pi do with my computer...temp/fan/control...nice.

Under volt farther than under clock if you can. What card is it?

Roland1979

If you need a full keyboard sure :D

Any mech is good. The one I linked I've used the blue key version of that for a few months now. I type a lot each day and love it. A lot of people seem to like brown keys and its at a great price at Amazon.

Amazon is not the most interesting option if you're Dutch. And the German or UK Amazon is not always the cheapest option either, ignoring shipping cost (which isn't that much).
I play lots of games but i only play fps games competitively. Not sure if i go with brown or black switches. Yeah it's not tenkeyless but it has wrist support. I'll probably find a nice combo soon enough. The Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless is really appealing to me.
but i do not strike swift like a ninja :-(

hey guys looking for a little bit of advice for my first build. It's tax return time!

What I've planned so far, pretty much the same as the great build in the OP:
3vD01.jpg

Couple of things:

I just bought a 3tb seagate external hdd so think I'll just open that up and chuck it in this.
Already got a 23" 1080p monitor although I would like to upgrade to one of those cheap Korean 1440p monitors or a Dell Ultrasharp not too long away.
Is a dvd drive necessary for anything these days? Will install the OS by USB and I'm having trouble thinking of anything I'll miss by not putting one in here.

Is the gpu capable enough for solid 1440p gaming? Of course I'm also planning to OC.
What kind of fps etc can I expect

Addnan

hey guys looking for a little bit of advice for my first build. It's tax return time!

What I've planned so far, pretty much the same as the great build in the OP:

Couple of things:

I just bought a 3tb seagate external hdd so think I'll just open that up and chuck it in this.
Already got a 23" 1080p monitor although I would like to upgrade to one of those cheap Korean 1440p monitors or a Dell Ultrasharp not too long away.
Is a dvd drive necessary for anything these days? Will install the OS by USB and I'm having trouble thinking of anything I'll miss by not putting one in here.

Is the gpu capable enough for solid 1440p gaming? Of course I'm also planning to OC.
What kind of fps etc can I expect
Build looks fine, but the 760 is not really aimed at anything higher than 1080p. Nvidia themselves advertise it as best bang for your buck 1080p card. It will work at 1440, just don't expect to crank up the settings and get a steady framerate.

Help me out here guys.

I have an i7 920 stock with a gtx 570. I want to get a gtx 770 to able to run my games at 1080 at max but i'm concerned about bottle necking. I don't want to over clock b/c I've never done it and don't want to end up ruining my rig.

Either that, or I wait till next iteration or intel and nvidia cards and build a whole new rig all together.

kennah

Help me out here guys.

I have an i7 920 stock with a gtx 570. I want to get a gtx 770 to able to run my games at 1080 at max but i'm concerned about bottle necking. I don't want to over clock b/c I've never done it and don't want to end up ruining my rig.

Either that, or I wait till next iteration or intel and nvidia cards and build a whole new rig all together.
You are in a pickle because your 920 overclocked would be just fine for gaming at 1080p

You are in a pickle because your 920 overclocked would be just fine for gaming at 1080p

Really? Would that make a huge difference in my gaming? I already have 212 cooler.

I'm going to try to find a friend who might be good at this. That, and I really don't have the time to try it all out. Also, would overclocking a 570 do anything?

Enlil

As I menioned before i wanted to buy another pc to get my gtx680 out to play games and use the pc for music only. then I thought is it possible to add another HDD that will not effect my HDD that contains all the music?

I mean like if a virus is on the gaming HDD so it won't effect the other HDD.

all ideas are welcome.

Addnan

Yeah, the 920 is still a decent CPU once you get the clock speeds up. What motherboard do you have. Put that into google and there should be an easy to follow guide.

jdmonmou

As I menioned before i wanted to buy another pc to get my gtx680 out to play games and use the pc for music only. then I thought is it possible to add another HDD that will not effect my HDD that contains all the music?

I mean like if a virus is on the gaming HDD so it won't effect the other HDD.

all ideas are welcome.

Sure you can add another drive if your motherboard allows it. Whatever you do, you should always ensure that your music library is being backed up to an external drive.

Hey folks!

Looking to build my first gaming PC. I'm aiming for it to be relatively future proof and able to handle games such as Battlefield 4, Planetside 2 on high settings. The budget is about £1000 including monitor and peripherals.

Having read the opening page and around the internet I've come up with this build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: KFA2 GeForce GTX 760 EX OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Monitor: LG IPS224V 22 Inch HDMI IPS Monitor

I chose the GPU based on some reviews and good feedback.

Any thoughts, opinion or advice welcome before i make the jump :D

Addnan

Hey folks!

Looking to build my first gaming PC. I'm aiming for it to be relatively future proof and able to handle games such as Battlefield 4, Planetside 2 on high settings. The budget is about £1000 including monitor and peripherals.

Having read the opening page and around the internet I've come up with this build:

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Looks like a text book build. Its good.

I would try to avoid wifi since you plan on gaming online. Check out power line adapters.

jdmonmou

I think you should install the DVD drive since it's the most convenient way to install the drivers that will come with your motherboard. However, you may also be able to download them.

I mainly just use my drive to burn and rip Blu-rays, DVDs, and CDs so if you ever would want or need to do that you should get one.

Addnan

I think you should install the DVD drive since it's the most convenient way to install the drivers that will come with your motherboard. However, you may also be able to download them.

I mainly just use my drive to burn and rip Blu-rays, DVDs, and CDs so if you ever would want or need to do that you should get one.
Naa, you can get the latest drivers from the motherboards websites better to get those.

I haven't used my DVD drive in a long time.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Hey folks!

Looks good. I'd suggest possibly upping your GPU for slightly better future proofing if you're willing to spend the money. I have an overclocked 7950 probably based on similar reasoning as you, but I don't know if it'll run future games at max.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some Corsair Vengeance RAM has very tall heat spreaders on them, which may get in the way of your aftermarket CPU cooler. Make sure it all fits before you buy it (or at least make sure the store will accept refunds/exchanges if the RAM doesn't fit). The 212 is relatively skinny though, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Enlil

Sure you can add another drive if your motherboard allows it. Whatever you do, you should always ensure that your music library is being backed up to an external drive.

Hi,

Just to claify, the plugins I use save their own settings. it's a complicated process. it's not just moving something elsewhere. With the DAW I am using I am using several VST's and plugins. Therefor not even the DAW, VST or program is allowed to get infected.

If I copy all this to a external HDD and then copy it back it won't work due to licencing issue. You have to install the software, go through an enormous process that can take weeks. I don't want that.

How save is it adding another HDD. I need more arguments and tips or alterantives.

Looks good. I'd suggest possibly upping your GPU for slightly better future proofing if you're willing to spend the money. I have an overclocked 7950 probably based on similar reasoning as you, but I don't know if it'll run future games at max.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some Corsair Vengeance RAM has very tall heat spreaders on them, which may get in the way of your aftermarket CPU cooler. Make sure it all fits before you buy it (or at least make sure the store will accept refunds/exchanges if the RAM doesn't fit). The 212 is relatively skinny though, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Looks like a text book build. Its good.

I would try to avoid wifi since you plan on gaming online. Check out power line adapters.

Thanks so much for the feedback, really appreciated.

Will double check fittings / sizes prior to purchase if possible.

rybrad

Anyone have good recommendations on a mechanical keyboard? I was going to use WASD keyboards but apparently they are out of stock on everything. Ideally I would like to find something that is backlit (and can be turned on/off), no palm/wrist rest (or detachable) and no extra keys on the left. I am using a Rosewill with MX Blue switches right now and I might just get another one if I can't find anything better.

Salaadin

Looks like the corner of my Steelseries QCK pad is starting to curl up again. So annoying.

Anyone have any suggestions for a nice, thin mouse pad that doesnt curl up after a year? Im thinking about going plastic or glass now too so if there are any opinions there, Ill take em.

Zaph

Anyone have good recommendations on a mechanical keyboard? I was going to use WASD keyboards but apparently they are out of stock on everything. Ideally I would like to find something that is backlit (and can be turned on/off), no palm/wrist rest (or detachable) and no extra keys on the left. I am using a Rosewill with MX Blue switches right now and I might just get another one if I can't find anything better.
Corsair Vengeance K70?

I found Corsair to have consistently great build quality and customer service. The K70 is available with Cherry MX red, blue or brown switches. Bright and customisable backlight too.

Would be my choice if I could live without the Logitech programmable screen on the G series.

ss_lemonade

Does lightboost pretty much eliminate all blur from compatible monitors? I've been playing a bit of bioshock infinite lately and for some reason, I've been getting slight headaches after a while. I'm guessing its because of the combination of a fast, smooth framerate and blur from my current lcd whenever I move my viewpoint around.

If lightboost does work like that, all I need is a 120hz or above monitor and an nvidia card right (also interested on those high hz monitors, especially after seeing mkenyon praising this tech more than SSDs)?

rybrad

Corsair Vengeance K70?

I found Corsair to have consistently great build quality and customer service. The K70 is available with Cherry MX red, blue or brown switches. Bright and customisable backlight too.

Would be my choice if I could live without the Logitech programmable screen on the G series.
Thanks for the recommendation. I had seen this one recommended earlier but when I was reading user reviews, people kept listing the wrist rest as a negative so I assumed it was not detachable. After doing a little more digging it looks like it might be detachable so I will give this one a closer look again, thanks!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I use a Rosewill with MX Brown switches and I still like that one. I heard the Cooler Master (CM Storm QuickFire) keyboards are good too. CM Storm also offers a version of their mechanical keyboards without the numpad, which could cut costs and/or save desk space for you if you're looking for that.

Looks like the corner of my Steelseries QCK pad is starting to curl up again. So annoying.

Anyone have any suggestions for a nice, thin mouse pad that doesnt curl up after a year? Im thinking about going plastic or glass now too so if there are any opinions there, Ill take em.
I use a detached binder cover as a mousepad. Works great.

It doesn't curl (it's a cardboard wrapped in plastic, after all) but the plastic surface does warp after a year or two. But then, those binders cost like $1 and have two covers each.

clav

Googling video card comparisons is a cesspool.

Just a bunch of paid insecure shills who want to say x y z card is better than the other.

No one ever considers the user's current card and price that the user is seeing.

Missed out on a HD 7850 2GB deal for $130 open box and hesitated because of stupid comparisons.

IT'S JUST $20 MOAR FOR MOAR POWR!111 TEH FUTURE PROOF

no it's not it's $80 more. you know you're going to upgrade asap once you see that new card in 3 years.

mkenyon

Banned
mkenyon is Tony Stark confirmed.
That's my friend's build, but yeah, definite Iron Man vibe from that. He agreed, but said that the bright yellow is going to look totally different with the LED lighting which is orangey.

Here's some pretty pics of mine with one really crappy quality update.

The CM pads in the OP are great. Last I checked, they were heavily discounted on Newegg too.

knitoe

Hi,

Just to claify, the plugins I use save their own settings. it's a complicated process. it's not just moving something elsewhere. With the DAW I am using I am using several VST's and plugins. Therefor not even the DAW, VST or program is allowed to get infected.

If I copy all this to a external HDD and then copy it back it won't work due to licencing issue. You have to install the software, go through an enormous process that can take weeks. I don't want that.

How save is it adding another HDD. I need more arguments and tips or alterantives.

Run Raid 1 using 2 HDDs.

As for stopping viruses, some of them can replicate onto other storage devices and over a network. Thus, you need to run antivirus and antimalware software.

Ocho

It's so cheap you can probably get a new one every 3 months.

Quake1028

Is there a non Hyper series cooler that is easier to install than they seem to be? I have a 2500K and only looking to go up to like 4.0 or 4.2. I just have no faith in my ability to install one of those from the pics and videos I have seem. Way too clumsy and fat fingered.

Is there a non Hyper series cooler that is easier to install than they seem to be? I have a 2500K and only looking to go up to like 4.0 or 4.2. I just have no faith in my ability to install one of those from the pics and videos I have seem. Way too clumsy and fat fingered.

If you pay attention to the notches it's quite a simple process. Don't be too intimidated by it.

Does anyone know any tricks to prevent a GPU trying to kill itself running really old games? I'm playing Thief Gold on my laptop, which has a GT540m. The problem is that the GPU evidently finds the game so easy render, it seems to be exhausting itself rendering as many frames as possible. I switched on vsync, but the GPU still seems to be running hot as hell, or maybe it's the CPU that's overworking itself?

knitoe

Does anyone know any tricks to prevent a GPU trying to kill itself running really old games? I'm playing Thief Gold on my laptop, which has a GT540m. The problem is that the GPU evidently finds the game so easy render, it seems to be exhausting itself rendering as many frames as possible. I switched on vsync, but the GPU still seems to be running hot as hell, or maybe it's the CPU that's overworking itself?

Are you using a monitoring program, like Precision X, to make sure vsync is working? Also, what's the GPU temps and usage?

Are you using a monitoring program, like Precision X, to make sure vsync is working? Also, what's the GPU temps and usage?

I know vsyn's working because of the notable input lag compared to when I switched it off. I don't have exact temps, the laptop literally becomes hot to the touch, like it would for a stressful game like Crysis or something. I'll fire up CPU-Z later to see if it's the GPU or the CPU getting so bleedin' hot.

You don't say which card you're using, but if it's one of our 600 or 700 series GPUs they're designed to run at those temps.

So my 750m running consistently above 80 while gaming and peaking at 90 is fine? Been a bit worried about it and have only used my laptop in short 20-30 minute bursts so far, but in a few months it'll be replacing my desktop for a while and essentially my main platform, which obviously means heavy use.

Edit: Probably should have just posted the question and not replied to an earlier discussion I wasn't part of. Additionally, for reference I've got a Lenovo Y500 that I purchased a few weeks ago with a single GTX750m.

Addnan

I think you underestimate my clumsiness :p. The Hyper 212 (not EVO) is $13.99 after MIR on Amazon right now. Hmmmmmmm.

People make it seem a lot more difficult that it actually is. Couple of screws in the back of the motherboard to hold the backplate, then place the mounting things and then screw the heatsink on. Pretty easy, you don't need small hands :p

Quake1028

People make it seem a lot more difficult that it actually is. Couple of screws in the back of the motherboard to hold the backplate, then place the mounting things and then screw the heatsink on. Pretty easy, you don't need small hands :p

Do I need to remove my mobo to install it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom