• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know vsyn's working because of the notable input lag compared to when I switched it off. I don't have exact temps, the laptop literally becomes hot to the touch, like it would for a stressful game like Crysis or something. I'll fire up CPU-Z later to see if it's the GPU or the CPU getting so bleedin' hot.

Ok, I ran the game with Speccy running and it tuns out the CPU is the culprit. The GPU levels off around 50-ish degrees Celcius while the CPU is 65-70, which is surely ridiculous for an ancient title like Thief?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok, I ran the game with Speccy running and it tuns out the CPU is the culprit. The GPU levels off around 50-ish degrees Celcius while the CPU is 65-70, which is surely ridiculous for an ancient title like Thief?
It's a laptop. Both of those numbers are cool.

There is a utility that helps address your issue, but I can't remember what it is called.

So since I've built my computer around a month ago I keep having issues with my graphics card.

While paying The Witcher 2 it randomly crashes and says it crashed because of the drivers. I uninstalled and re-installed and still the same thing. Also when I try to play Sonic All Stars the game randomly freezes, the screen blinks and goes blank for about 10 seconds, then the game comes back on where I left off.

Any ideas? I didn't want to ask this in the general help thread in case its something I forogt to do while building.

I have a 7950.

5770? Depends on the game you're playing whether it's worth it, some are a yes and some are not worth it. I would stick with the 5770 myself until I could afford something like a 7850 or a 650 Ti Boost.

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the awkward position of needing to upgrade my PC for gaming, but I'm getting a PS4 at the same time. I want to hold off for another year or two before a serious upgrade, but performance on the stuff I like to play is starting to decrease. The main thing I want to improve on is Gamecube / Wii emulation performance.

kharma45

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the awkward position of needing to upgrade my PC for gaming, but I'm getting a PS4 at the same time. I want to hold off for another year or two before a serious upgrade, but performance on the stuff I like to play is starting to decrease. The main thing I want to improve on is Gamecube / Wii emulation performance.

Emulation is more CPU dependent than GPU.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hey folks!

Looking to build my first gaming PC. I'm aiming for it to be relatively future proof and able to handle games such as Battlefield 4, Planetside 2 on high settings. The budget is about £1000 including monitor and peripherals.

Having read the opening page and around the internet I've come up with this build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: KFA2 GeForce GTX 760 EX OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Monitor: LG IPS224V 22 Inch HDMI IPS Monitor

I chose the GPU based on some reviews and good feedback.

Any thoughts, opinion or advice welcome before i make the jump :D
That's pretty much the exact build I'm looking at, with differences of case and monitor and no SSD. I'm also still debating with myself over the 7950 or the 760.

Remember you need an operating system, keyboard and mouse, and most likely some desk speakers to figure into the budget(if you're building from scratch).

I've got everything pretty much set with a cost at just over 900 pounds.

Looks good. I'd suggest possibly upping your GPU for slightly better future proofing if you're willing to spend the money. I have an overclocked 7950 probably based on similar reasoning as you, but I don't know if it'll run future games at max.
Its an expensive jump up to the next best card, though. I've already made the choice to go from the 7850/660 to the 7950/760 for not too big a premium, but going up from there and the cost/value starts to get pretty iffy for anybody who is trying to build something decent on a modest budget.

I'm hoping that playing at 1080p should mean I'll be ok for a little while at least. I'm also not a freak about needing max settings so have no problems needing to tweak things down a tad if necessary.

I wish they'd release Battlefield 4's recommended requirements, though, just to compare with BF3's to get an idea of how much more they're pushing things. That's basically the big game for me I want to be able to run well.

And as an aside, what do y'all expect will happen with SSD prices? From what I've read, they've basically stabilized and wil probably stay this way for a while, but should they continue to become more affordable over the next year? Two years? I'm probably gonna hold out on one until they seem better value for the capacity.

peakish

Damn it, I was just about to submit a thread on Alan Wake played with my new PC when the GPU seemingly died. Artifacts covered the screen, the PC restarted and won't boot into Windows any longer. Removing the GPU and using the MB display outs made the system boot again.

From what I understand, this can have three causes: The PSU might not be supplying enough power (I'll see if I can test the card on my workstation later this weekend), the card might be overheating (I've only seen a max of 65C in Speedfan so I've discarded this) or it might be plain broken. Have I missed any obvious check? I've tried making sure that all connections to the PCI-E port and PSU are fine.

This sucks, I had put in a lot of work on that AW op >_>

Dave_6

That's my friend's build, but yeah, definite Iron Man vibe from that. He agreed, but said that the bright yellow is going to look totally different with the LED lighting which is orangey.

Here's some pretty pics of mine with one really crappy quality update.

Sexy.

Just finished playing Infinite for about an hour and a half, and the GPU temp peaked at 97 degrees celsius but was at a pretty consistent 92-ish, while the CPU temp was around 70. Asked this a page back in a kind of round about way, but are these temps safe? The GPU is a GTX750m in my Lenovo Y500.

Foxyone

Is there any chance next-gen will bring about any crossfire / SLI revolution? Either better scaling or being able to just pop another card in and have it work?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is there any chance next-gen will bring about any crossfire / SLI revolution? Either better scaling or being able to just pop another card in and have it work?
Doubt it. Some games have near 100% scaling already. CrossFire is broken on some titles.

AkIRA_22

hey guys looking for a little bit of advice for my first build. It's tax return time!

What I've planned so far, pretty much the same as the great build in the OP:

Couple of things:

I just bought a 3tb seagate external hdd so think I'll just open that up and chuck it in this.
Already got a 23" 1080p monitor although I would like to upgrade to one of those cheap Korean 1440p monitors or a Dell Ultrasharp not too long away.
Is a dvd drive necessary for anything these days? Will install the OS by USB and I'm having trouble thinking of anything I'll miss by not putting one in here.

Is the gpu capable enough for solid 1440p gaming? Of course I'm also planning to OC.
What kind of fps etc can I expect

Very solid build mate. When it comes to 1440p going forward you might want to invest in the 780, shit is about to get real.

DVD is very much an obsolete piece of kit that ruins the look of a case IMO. If you have a USB windows boot thumb drive then don't bother. Everything else is fine.

And GO THE MIGHTY ROOTERS!

Hey there, PC-GAF!

I've ran into trouble with a PC I'm currently building. Basically, I'm working on a PC for one of my dad's coworkers that's basically designed to have a ton of RAM for virtualizations that he's doing.

I'm using a server motherboard for it, and the core parts are as follows:

Case
CPU 2x
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
CPU Cooler 2x
HDD
SSD 4x

And then a DVD Burner.

We originally had this PSU planned, but it wouldn't fit in the case. The computer is assembled aside from the PSU. Due to that PSU not fitting, went to go get an 800 watt PSU and used that as a temporary fix (as I had to go on vacation not too long after and as such was unable to work on it for a while).

When it boots up, nothing comes up on the monitor, and there was a CATT light that shows up, but not sure if that's the problem or not. If anyone has any advice or troubleshooting ideas, that would be incredibly appreciated and incredibly helpful, thanks!

LCGeek

formerly sane
Does lightboost pretty much eliminate all blur from compatible monitors? I've been playing a bit of bioshock infinite lately and for some reason, I've been getting slight headaches after a while. I'm guessing its because of the combination of a fast, smooth framerate and blur from my current lcd whenever I move my viewpoint around.

If lightboost does work like that, all I need is a 120hz or above monitor and an nvidia card right (also interested on those high hz monitors, especially after seeing mkenyon praising this tech more than SSDs)?

Lightboost now works on amd or nvidia with newer cards so that is not an issue.

Only select monitors can do lightboost and the some of the more well known ones are listed below.

XL2720T / XL2420T / VG278HE / VG248QE

Lightboost doesn't eliminate all blur but it can heavily reduce it. Some games have blur built in that can't be turned off and not all games can reach the 100hz threshold or higher for lightboost to be of any use.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey there, PC-GAF!

I've ran into trouble with a PC I'm currently building. Basically, I'm working on a PC for one of my dad's coworkers that's basically designed to have a ton of RAM for virtualizations that he's doing.

I'm using a server motherboard for it, and the core parts are as follows:

When it boots up, nothing comes up on the monitor, and there was a CATT light that shows up, but not sure if that's the problem or not. If anyone has any advice or troubleshooting ideas, that would be incredibly appreciated and incredibly helpful, thanks!
Have you tried reseating the RAM in the correct slots shown by the motherboard manual for a 4 DIMM configuration?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Today I made peace with not doing an acrylic setup. ... That's because I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some very fine crafting sand. I then crammed the sand in a tube with a funnel, compressed it down, and crammed in some more. Finally, I sealed either end nice and tight - there was as little movement as possible - and as little "extra space" as I could ever hope from any other filler - be it silicone, nitrile, or something else entirely.

... and even still, with trying to bend it over all kinds of object, using a bending tool, doing it by hand, and with both low and high heat... it still flattens on impact. Some people manage to do it - and I'm happy for them. But 'tis life... I shall forge ahead and by some regular tube. :)

9220904152_29140ba775_c.jpg

9220903888_e136b78de2_c.jpg

Matt'd up my Blu-Ray drive; lol, it looks terrible. But you really won't ever see it once the window/side panel is on; and I just wanted to avoid a big beige box.

9220906076_68b7a69957_c.jpg

Fan controller and Blu-Ray installed! ... But come on, LD... I emailed them a few days ago saying that my replacement USB ports never arrived, and I've yet to hear back.

9220905394_c1f0b3f241_c.jpg

Also, another thing... the front power button and reset cables are way too short. Again, another situation where it's like... "Really?!" I'm gonna feed them down some white tube and so at least the colors will be hidden. This is what I've got to tackle...

9220903182_9329382e08_c.jpg

Tonight I'm ordering some Primochill Advanced LRT clear tube and a bunch of red Monsoon fittings. My cart is ringing in just under $200 :-/

HOPEFULLY!!!! that's the last order...

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
All I gotta say is good luck with your build. :lol

Haha, thanks!

Yeah, gotta say - I really don't think I'll ever do a water-cooled build again. I keep hitting snag after snag; and honestly, after a more than about $1200 invested in cooling, I can't imagine ever feeling like I'm getting my money's worth. At first it was really, really fun - but now that I'm two months in, I'm ready to just be done. Considering I've done builds for my friends in a day, I'm getting kind of anxious - especially since I'm scared to death it's not gonna work when I boot it up. A dead Mobo or a sudden leak would probably push me to just scrap the whole thing.

That said, crossing my fingers I'm nearing the finish line and I don't hit any more problems. If it runs cool, quiet and great - it'll be a beast of a system that I'm sure I'll love for a long time!

Hey Guys. First time posting in this thread.
Im going to share a story with you guys.
Yesterday my PC only powered on but the screen went black. Since Im not much of a hardware tech guy I thought it was Software problems. The Wi-Fi card stopped working and looked to fix it by removing and putting in again but nothing. Then the systems everytime there was a new update, I restarted the PC and it didnt boot. I had to turn it off manually and then it would boot. Only to take me to the CMOS screen. The clock was set in 2009 and so on. Anyways today it didnt boot. The screen was black and never booted. I took out the power supply, Went to my local CompUsa to get it tested and it still worked.

Well while I was browsing I took a look at a new power supply, thinking I needed a new one. And saw a CoolMaster one for $75 which was right between my price range. Never got to buy it since my older one still worked. I bought a new CMOS Battery and that was it. PC is working great.

Now, I want to upgrade my PC. I mainly do 3D stuff like animating and rendering. GAF, where should I start? Should I buy a new Power Supply first, then a graphics card? CPU first on mainly buy a whole new motherboard and chipset? Like I told you. Im new to this, but I know how to work around the hardware.

This is my PC Specs. Help me out here guys. I want to get the most out of it some of the hardware inside without having to replace everything

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4300-15e/4507-3118_7-33964721.html

I'm finally going to build a new system. Before I buy these parts on Monday, I thought I'd run it passed the experts in this thread to get your opinion. Does anyone see any thing wrong with this build? I do not want to overclock.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($23.08 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G400s Wired Optical Mouse ($51.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1714.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-05 06:32 EDT-0400)

I figured I'd just go ahead and get Haswell/LGA 1150 because I could upgrade the cpu in the future. This PC will mostly be used for gaming but also GNS3 Cisco Router Emulation/Virtual Machines.

Get paid tomorrow, going to be buying a CPU/MOBO bundle at microcenter that includes the

i5 3570k 3.4GHZ quad core CPU
P8Z77-v LK socket 1155 z77 ATX intel MOBO

Thoughts? Apparently I save $30 with this bundle.

I am also having a hard time deciding between a gtx 760 and a 770 4gb. I'd really like to hear some opinions, I would like to run games on high settings, but I MOSTLY want solid 60 FPS gameplay.

EDIT : I feel like a noob, but how come I am just finding out about "mini" pc cases? This one in particular http://www.microcenter.com/product/393945/Prodigy_Mini-ITX_Computer_Case_-_White

Any disadvantages/advantages? The size is very intriguing to me because my desk is already crowded. Can I fit all parts into the thing without worry? Or do I have to plan ahead?

x3sphere

I'm finally going to build a new system. Before I buy these parts on Monday, I thought I'd run it passed the experts in this thread to get your opinion. Does anyone see any thing wrong with this build? I do not want to overclock.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($23.08 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Logitech G400s Wired Optical Mouse ($51.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1714.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-05 06:32 EDT-0400)

I figured I'd just go ahead and get Haswell/LGA 1150 because I could upgrade the cpu in the future. This PC will mostly be used for gaming but also GNS3 Cisco Router Emulation/Virtual Machines.

IMO - you should still get an aftermarket CPU cooler even if you don't plan to overclock. Haswell runs hot and a good cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo will be much quieter under load than the stock Intel solution.

Roland1979

Get paid tomorrow, going to be buying a CPU/MOBO bundle at microcenter that includes the

i5 3570k 3.4GHZ quad core CPU
P8Z77-v LK socket 1155 z77 ATX intel MOBO

Thoughts? Apparently I save $30 with this bundle.

I am also having a hard time deciding between a gtx 760 and a 770 4gb. I'd really like to hear some opinions, I would like to run games on high settings, but I MOSTLY want solid 60 FPS gameplay.

EDIT : I feel like a noob, but how come I am just finding out about "mini" pc cases? This one in particular http://www.microcenter.com/product/393945/Prodigy_Mini-ITX_Computer_Case_-_White

Any disadvantages/advantages? The size is very intriguing to me because my desk is already crowded. Can I fit all parts into the thing without worry? Or do I have to plan ahead?

Why a 4GB GTX 770?
Get a 2GB, they are expensive enough. The 770 will will outperform the 760 but if you overclock it it should be a massive difference, getting close to a 780 probably. just speculating though, i'm not a oc expert. Why do you want a mini case? They are harder to cool. What kind and how many monitors do you have?

Why a 4GB GTX 770?
Get a 2GB, they are expensive enough. The 770 will will outperform the 760 but if you overclock it it should be a massive difference, getting close to a 780 probably. just speculating though, i'm not a oc expert. Why do you want a mini case? They are harder to cool. What kind and how many monitors do you have?

I have one monitor, but I plan on maybe upgrading to a 120hz soon after building. I don't know, a 770 is a LOT of fucking money compared to the 760, what if I eventually go SLI dual card with 2 2gb 760s, overclocked?

Roland1979

I have one monitor, but I plan on maybe upgrading to a 120hz soon after building. I don't know, a 770 is a LOT of fucking money compared to the 760, what if I eventually go SLI dual card with 2 2gb 760s, overclocked?

I meant what do you want with a single 4 GB card if you don't have 3 monitors to drive. 2 GB Is more then enough, if you go SLI then you have 4 as well. To be honest i would keep it simple and go with a very strong single card and overclock that. I personally go with the Palit GeForce GTX 770 JetStream

If you want a pure performance gaming monitor get the BenQ XL2411T, cheapest 144Hz monitor with almost 0 input lag and response time. Not great colors though.

In retrospect dual GPU's might not be a bad idea for max fps.

kennah

You need to plan ahead in that not every motherboard fits in the small cases. For a Prodigy like you linked you would need to get an ITX sized motherboard. These boards have only the one expansion slot. Usually used for the video card. Read the SFF guide in the OP. small formfactor is a little bit more work at the beginning but the payoff of a tiny computer is worth it.

Also you won't go SLI in a mini case - unless you do the silverstone fortress with a microatx board. Feel free to ask any questions.

Oh and SFF is generally more expensive

Roland1979

You need to plan ahead in that not every motherboard fits in the small cases. For a Prodigy like you linked you would need to get an ITX sized motherboard. These boards have only the one expansion slot. Usually used for the video card. Read the SFF guide in the OP. small formfactor is a little bit more work at the beginning but the payoff of a tiny computer is worth it.

Also you won't go SLI in a mini case - unless you do the silverstone fortress with a microatx board. Feel free to ask any questions.

Oh and SFF is generally more expensive

What's your opinion regarding 120hz monitors, go SLI with dual mid end GPUs or a single high end. And is setting up SLI a bit noob friendly?

I meant what do you want with a single 4 GB card if you don't have 3 monitors to drive. 2 GB Is more then enough, if you go SLI then you have 4 as well. To be honest i would keep it simple and go with a very strong single card and overclock that. I personally go with the Palit GeForce GTX 770 JetStream

If you want a pure performance gaming monitor get the BenQ XL2411T, cheapest 144Hz monitor with almost 0 input lag and response time. Not great colors though.

In retrospect dual GPU's might not be a bad idea for max fps.

Never thought about why I would need a 4gb, I just realized maybe that wasn't the smartest idea for my needs. I would love a mini case but its not top priority. I'm scared I'm going to dish out all this money only to be disappointed with the performance once BF4 comes out because that is my main focus. I want to run that game highest settings possible with good FPS but I'm also a cheap ass mofo. Does anyone think that a dual 760 over clocked would give me the performance needed? Any input is appreciated since I am buying the CPU/MOBO tomorrow during my lunch break

Sid

Need some help here,my PC has finally managed to boot up but after turning it off it sometimes never boots back up,what is causing this?

mkenyon

Banned
Haha, thanks!

Yeah, gotta say - I really don't think I'll ever do a water-cooled build again. I keep hitting snag after snag; and honestly, after a more than about $1200 invested in cooling, I can't imagine ever feeling like I'm getting my money's worth. At first it was really, really fun - but now that I'm two months in, I'm ready to just be done. Considering I've done builds for my friends in a day, I'm getting kind of anxious - especially since I'm scared to death it's not gonna work when I boot it up. A dead Mobo or a sudden leak would probably push me to just scrap the whole thing.

That said, crossing my fingers I'm nearing the finish line and I don't hit any more problems. If it runs cool, quiet and great - it'll be a beast of a system that I'm sure I'll love for a long time!
Yeah, that was a lot to bite off on your first go 'round.

I've spent the better part of two days just bending copper pipe. This shit is hard.

*edit*

Also, I'd totally buy those Primochill fittings off of you.

Skel1ingt0n

Yeah, that was a lot to bite off on your first go 'round.

I've spent the better part of two days just bending copper pipe. This shit is hard.

*edit*

Also, I'd totally buy those Primochill fittings off of you.

I'm just gonna live in ignorance and pretend bending acrylic - perfectly - is impossible ;p

Decided after everything else giving me trouble, I'm gonna shelve my Mayhems Pastel White additive - cause it seems like it's about 50/50 getting it to look right, especially for extended periods of time.

So, just ordered two (6) packs of red Monsoon fittings, two 45 degree fittings with extra red plugs, and 10 feet of emerald white Primochill Advanced LRT 1/2-3/4 tube. Also just purchased that other PSU I was telling you about off the 'Bay. Oh, and bought an AC-Molex powersupply, so I don't have to bother tripping my internal PSU. Hopefully we're there! ... I agree, trying to go "all-in" with my first water cooling go was probably asking for trouble. Probably should have started with just a custom CPU loop and a single radiator. That said, now I know - and I'm just on the pitty-pot. The system, honestly, is still coming along beautifully. And in the end, it'll (hopefully) work great - and should destroy pretty much anything out there while running cool and quiet - and looking sexy while doing it.

I mean - it's hard to be too upset:

9218131731_9cd2103b09_c.jpg

And sure! The Primochill fittings are all yours. Tell me what you're comfortable paying/what you think they're worth, and you got a deal. 14 matte black Primochill Ghost Rigid fittings - 12 are still brand new in the box.

Maybe you guys could help me out

I have an Asus X401A laptop
Windows 7
Intel Pentium B970 @ 2.30GHz
64-bit Operating System
Intel HD Graphics
3.89 GB of Ram

Are these good specs?

Why can I run games like HL2 and Amnesia on medium with very few hiccups but Thief Deadly Shadows made in 2004 runs like crap?

What should be my benchmark when I'm looking at game specs and what games could I probably run well?

Also I'm very new to PC gaming and I'm not tech savvy at all so any tips on how to get more/improved performance would be helpful. I don't have the $$ to get a better laptop so if there are any ways I could make this Asus better, that info would be appreciated

kharma45

I meant what do you want with a single 4 GB card if you don't have 3 monitors to drive. 2 GB Is more then enough, if you go SLI then you have 4 as well. To be honest i would keep it simple and go with a very strong single card and overclock that. I personally go with the Palit GeForce GTX 770 JetStream[/URL

If you go SLI with 2x 2GB cards you still only have 2GB of VRAM.

Will 2Gb be enough when developers start taking advantage of the PS4 and Xbone, or is that not going to matter?

Just got to wait and find out. I'd imagine it'll be fine for the next year anyway at 1080p.

Roland1979

If you go SLI with 2x 2GB cards you still only have 2GB of VRAM.
I read that once and totally forgot, it's how it see those cards right? Isn't that almost like some RAID configurations of HDDs, where you gain speed but loose storage? Well anyhow can you answer me this; for 120Hz monitors, do you think it's better to go with 2 mid-end GPUs or 1 high-end? Will this give it a significant performance boost? Maybe that will depends on the cards as well but let's say 2 GTX760s vs 1 GTX770.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just finish building my new PC but I am having a huge problem with my graphic card. I plug the monitor to my graphic, turn the computer on, the computer turn on fine, the fans on the GPU is running, but nothing is being display at the monitor. The monitor will just stay in sleep mode.

I tried to plug the monitor to the Integrated Graphic Card, and everything works fine, tried to install the Nvida driver, but it show up as an error saying it cannot detect any Nvidia card in my computer. I go into my bios and it show nothing is detected in PCI-E slot.

My motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
GPU
EVGA 02G-P4-2763-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit
Power supply : XFX Core Edition PRO550W

I been messing around setting the entire day, seems like nothing is working, any help will be appreciated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just finish building my new PC but I am having a huge problem with my graphic card. I plug the monitor to my graphic, turn the computer on, the computer turn on fine, the fans on the GPU is running, but nothing is being display at the monitor. The monitor will just stay in sleep mode.

I tried to plug the monitor to the Integrated Graphic Card, and everything works fine, tried to install the Nvida driver, but it show up as an error saying it cannot detect any Nvidia card in my computer. I go into my bios and it show nothing is detected in PCI-E slot.

My motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
GPU
EVGA 02G-P4-2763-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit
Power supply : XFX Core Edition PRO550W

I been messing around setting the entire day, seems like nothing is working, any help will be appreciated.
Shutoff the PC completely (PSU off, wait).

Reinstall the GPU in the other PCI-E slot below the top one. Make sure it's locked in and secure, attach both power cables (and check your motherboard 4 or 8 pin power is in as well).

Check in the mobo BIOS that it prefers PCI graphics over onboard, attach video to the first video out. Try other video ports (Sometimes DVI is marked 1, 2) on your card.

Make sure you have the newest nVidia drivers that support the GTX 760.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom