• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck... my storage HDD is starting to die:

vI9EpOM.jpg

I just upgraded my PC and didn't have the $ to get an SSD but since this has happened, I think I'll change both my drives in a month or two. I don't have a choice really... :/

So...

For system (Win 7 x64), games and software I should go for Samsung 256GB 840 Pro?
Although I'm very interested what Intel has to offer with the new 530 series.

As for the second drive, 1TB would suffice. It would be a storage drive to dump photos, files, do video conversion, etc. Is WD Blue (WD10EZEX) a good choice for this purpose?
I don't need "just a storage" HDD like Caviar Green/Red since I have file server where all my media sits and from where I stream all my media to other computers in the house.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Shutoff the PC completely (PSU off, wait).

Reinstall the GPU in the other PCI-E slot below the top one. Make sure it's locked in and secure, attach both power cables (and check your motherboard 4 or 8 pin power is in as well).

Check in the mobo BIOS that it prefers PCI graphics over onboard, attach video to the first video out. Try other video ports (Sometimes DVI is marked 1, 2) on your card.

Make sure you have the newest nVidia drivers that support the GTX 760.

Thanks, I plugged it to a different PCI-E slot and it is working fine now. I still don't know why the other PCI-E slot doesn't work, the only reason I put it in that slot is because there are no space for the sound card.

I also had some problem before with DDR3 Rams, where one of the slot refuse to boot until I switch to another one.

Is this a Mobo problem that I should worry about? Or I shouldn't fix whatever already working.

It had been 7 hours since I working at this PC, finally I can get a good night sleep. I am so glad I come back to check this thread before I went to sleep.

Roland1979

Regarding 120Hz monitors, Is it better to go with 2 mid-end GPUs in SLI, or 1 high-end? Will this give it a significant performance boost? Maybe that will depend on the cards as well but let's say 2 GTX760s vs 1 GTX770?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks, I plugged it to a different PCI-E slot and it is working fine now. I still don't know why the other PCI-E slot doesn't work, the only reason I put it in that slot is because there are no space for the sound card.

I also had some problem before with DDR3 Rams, where one of the slot refuse to boot until I switch to another one.

Is this a Mobo problem that I should worry about? Or I shouldn't fix whatever already working.

It had been 7 hours since I working at this PC, finally I can get a good night sleep. I am so glad I come back to check this thread before I went to sleep.
Sometimes it's something simple like it didn't seat right, or there's a screw on the backside that fell in.

Other times it's a mobo problem! Not seating RAM is pretty common, as is having to use a single stick to boot the first time. Always check the mobo as a guide as it'll tell you which slots to you and what to do after (Think your board has a MEM OK button).
Regarding 120Hz monitors, Is it better to go with 2 mid-end GPUs in SLI, or 1 high-end? Will this give it a significant performance boost? Maybe that will depend on the cards as well but let's say 2 GTX760s vs 1 GTX770?
I'd advocate single GPU. For dual GPUs now I'd only recommend nVidia (xFire doesn't work on some titles), but then at the point you need SLi you're looking at wanting above 2GB of RAM, so it would be 4GB GTX 760's at the least which are faster in almost every case than a GTX 780.

I've been on a GTX295 and xFire 6950's so my SLi experience is a bit out of date (didn't like the card or hassle with Witcher 2) so I'm not that big a fan of it. If a GTX 780 isn't enough power, then you can look at multi GPU setups if you like. It depends what settings you'll compromise on for 120Hz as well. Single GTX670 here for me works dandy.

Roland1979

It depends what settings you'll compromise on for 120Hz as well. Single GTX670 here for me works dandy.

Online in multiplayer i'm competitive so i'm prepared to tone it don't quite a bit.
In single player i don't mind a bit lower frame rate if it gives me beautiful, immersive worlds.

qAfrXA4.png

so in my rush to download hardware monitor today, I clicked through onto an "ad download" instead of the actual one. I ran the exe, realized what I had done, closed it, some windows opened up and I closed them then that was the end of it. It didn't instal anything I dont think. Nothing weird is running in task manager etc,

Anything I need to be worried about. Probably just being paranoid from my end.

this was the link to be precise

Thorgal

qAfrXA4.png

so in my rush to download hardware monitor today, I clicked through onto an "ad download" instead of the actual one. I ran the exe, realized what I had done, closed it, some windows opened up and I closed them then that was the end of it. It didn't instal anything I dont think. Nothing weird is running in task manager etc,

If you have a decent antivirus and it did not set of any red lights I think your in the clear.

if you want to be absolutely sure you can do a full scan of your pc with MCafee ( works for me.)

t-ramp

Fuck... my storage HDD is starting to die:

vI9EpOM.jpg

I just upgraded my PC and didn't have the $ to get an SSD but since this has happened, I think I'll change both my drives in a month or two. I don't have a choice really... :/

So...

For system (Win 7 x64), games and software I should go for Samsung 256GB 840 Pro?
Although I'm very interested what Intel has to offer with the new 530 series.

As for the second drive, 1TB would suffice. It would be a storage drive to dump photos, files, do video conversion, etc. Is WD Blue (WD10EZEX) a good choice for this purpose?
I don't need "just a storage" HDD like Caviar Green/Red since I have file server where all my media sits and from where I stream all my media to other computers in the house.
It's just one bad sector. Keep an eye on the SMART data but it's nothing to be overly worried about in itself. Although you should probably do a scan of the drive to check for other bad sectors.

It's just one bad sector. Keep an eye on the SMART data but it's nothing to be overly worried about in itself. Although you should probably do a scan of the drive to check for other bad sectors.
scanned it, everything OK. chkdsk & Seatools show no errors. :/

TheD

The Detective
qAfrXA4.png

Fake "download" ads should be a crime.

I seem to have impulse bought a Zotac GTX 660 TI that was on sale for 30% off.

I was originally supposed to get a 7850 or 650 so this deal was so good I couldn't resist it. Now my problem is the rest of the PC. I was gonna get a i3 3220 for the CPU, will that be a bottleneck for the GPU?

Also is it possible to connect it to a TV and Monitor at the same time so I can let someone use something like XBMC on one end and let me play games in my room?

kharma45

I was originally supposed to get a 7850 or 650 so this deal was so good I couldn't resist it. Now my problem is the rest of the PC. I was gonna get a i3 3220 for the CPU, will that be a bottleneck for the GPU?

Also is it possible to connect it to a TV and Monitor at the same time so I can let someone use something like XBMC on one end and let me play games in my room?

That one from HotUKDeals by any chance? :p It will depend on the game, the i3 is still mostly fine though. I'm beginning to lean towards the AMD FX 6300, both are good at their respective prices though.

kennah

Sweet.

Should be ok depending on what you find acceptable.

Yep. That's how my living room is set up. The only trouble you will run into is if you want to have only the movie audio come from the tv and only the game audio to be at your computer. It's possible but can be a pain.

That one from HotUKDeals by any chance? :p It will depend on the game, the i3 is still mostly fine though. I'm beginning to lean towards the AMD FX 6300, both are good at their respective prices though.

Yeah, that's the one I bought. I hear a lot of people telling me not to get AMD. Is the FX series really that good?

Reading up, the I3 3220 is better for single threaded performance which is what most games are based off now but the FX 6300 is better for multi threaded performance. Which might be better for future games as future engines all use multiple cores.

Is all of that right?

Could the FX 6300 be better for gaming in the long run?

kharma45

Reading up, the I3 3220 is better for single threaded performance which is what most games are based off now but the FX 6300 is better for multi threaded performance. Which might be better for future games as future engines all use multiple cores.

Is all of that right?

Could the FX 6300 be better for gaming in the long run?

Going by the latest games probably. These graphs are for the FX 6350, which is just an overclocked 6300

Thorgal

So today i wanted to overklock my 660 . Its well known to be the worst in the 600 series when it Comes to OC.

Is their a General consensus On what the highest clock is and still run stable ?

Its currently at these numbers.

naamloos79sjh.png

Addnan

Take it up until you reach instability. Bit of a lottery, there really is no stable overclock that everyone can hit.

Addnan

Speaking of which, I took my 770 up to 1190/7900 today. It's Unigine stable and runs at only 65c under load, but I feel like my 3dmark score should be higher - only get 6844. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/887032

Any thoughts?
3D Mark score not really the best way to tell how well the OC is performing. the slightest clock speed change in CPU, RAM speed, timings ups the score. eg, mine with a higher clocked 3570K, 1600mhz RAM, GTX 770 slightly overclocked over what Gigabyte give I got 7309 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/743499 ,

So yeah I think your score is about where it should be. Unless the score dropped after hitting a certain level of overclock the maybe get it back a bit.

sgjackson

3D Mark score not really the best way to tell how well the OC is performing. the slightest clock speed change in CPU, RAM speed, timings ups the score. eg, mine with a higher clocked 3570K, 1600mhz RAM, GTX 770 slightly overclocked over what Gigabyte give I got 7309 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/743499 ,

So yeah I think your score is about where it should be. Unless the score dropped after hitting a certain level of overclock the maybe get it back a bit.

Yeah, I'm not really super concerned because the OC is getting me 3-5 more FPS in stuff that actually matters. Just thought I'd crack 7k with that - no OC scored 6600 or so. Thanks!

Najaf

Well, my motherboard finally died. It had been giving me trouble for a while, but last night it gave out completely.

I was on a i7-930 with a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R

What is the good move now? Haswell or Ivy? I had hoped to hold off until a proper (new) overclocking option turned up over the next 12 months, but it seems now I don't have that luxury.

My only CPU intensive task is gaming and I don't emulate.

I'd like this processor/mobo to take me through the next three years. Suggestions? I'm reading through the OP, but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

edit: I'm air cooling using a Noctua nh-D14 in a CM 690 II Advanced with SLI 560's. Its a fairly warm case situation.

kharma45

Well, my motherboard finally died. It had been giving me trouble for a while, but last night it gave out completely.

I was on a i7-930 with a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R

What is the good move now? Haswell or Ivy? I had hoped to hold off until a proper (new) overclocking option turned up over the next 12 months, but it seems now I don't have that luxury.

My only CPU intensive task is gaming and I don't emulate.

I'd like this processor/mobo to take me through the next three years. Suggestions? I'm reading through the OP, but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

edit: I'm air cooling using a Noctua nh-D14 in a CM 690 II Advanced with SLI 560's. Its a fairly warm case situation.

If you're just gaming I honestly don't see the need really to change CPU, just overclock that CPU if you haven't already. Ivy Bridge-E might be worth a look when it comes out if you're after another i7.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know you get what you pay for - but are there any good office chairs out there that aren't thousand dollar Herman Millers?

Huh. My Windows 7 CD key that came from my old comptuer worked without issue... Didn't need to reactivate anything.

I guess using a usb image of windows 7 and installing on a newly formatted drive worked? idk. But I'm not complaining.

Also finally freed myself from the Dell OEM tyranny. feelsgoodman

No particular reason really. Just decided to roll with 1

You've got a nuts 3 screen setup haven't you? Or have i got that wrong?

I've got a Titan too, thinking about getting a second at some point, but seems the benefits of multiple cards isn't all its cracked up to be, I've never seen a SLI setup in action so its difficult to really know.

Najaf

If you're just gaming I honestly don't see the need really to change CPU, just overclock that CPU if you haven't already. Ivy Bridge-E might be worth a look when it comes out if you're after another i7.

The 1366 chipset has been dead for a long time, so buying a new 1366 mobo for the sake of saving the processor would be somewhat absurd, yes?

kharma45

The 1366 chipset has been dead for a long time, so buying a new 1366 mobo for the sake of saving the processor would be somewhat absurd, yes?

Fuck that will teach me to skim, I didn't see the dead mobo part, very sorry about that! I'd lean towards going IB, cheaper, mobos are a known quantity, runs cooler.

x3sphere

You could get an LGA 1366 mobo (used) for around $100...

Ivy-E which is due out within the next few months should have better overclockability. Soldered chip, so no need to delid for better thermals. I'm still on a 920 but will probably move to LGA2011 once Ivy-E drops.

B.K.

I want to build a new PC in the next year or two and would like to put a 3770K processor in it. Should I buy one now? Is Intel going to stop producing Ivy Bridge processors anytime soon now that the Haswell stuff is out?

Smokey

You've got a nuts 3 screen setup haven't you? Or have i got that wrong?

I've got a Titan too, thinking about getting a second at some point, but seems the benefits of multiple cards isn't all its cracked up to be, I've never seen a SLI setup in action so its difficult to really know.

Yeah I have a 3 screen setup. Right now I'm just running on my Dell U3011. I need a displayport -> DVI adapter before I can use my one Titan with my 3 screens.

SLI is nice. I'm going to miss it. But if I get the itch again, I'll nab another Titan again if I can :p

Seanspeed

Banned
I want to build a new PC in the next year or two and would like to put a 3770K processor in it. Should I buy one now? Is Intel going to stop producing Ivy Bridge processors anytime soon now that the Haswell stuff is out?
Intel was still producing Sandy's earlier this year, so you should be safe for a while. There's a new line of high-end Ivy's coming out later this year and I imagine they'll keep selling the lower versions for a little while.

You'll still probably be able to find a 3770 in stock somewhere a year from now, but 2 years is probably stretching it.

senahorse

Having an issue where my TV isn't detected under Nvidia Control Panel unless I reboot the computer. On my old setup with an AMD card I could just re-detect and it would pick it up.

Setup is like this from PC HDMI -> HDMI Ethernet Adapter -> CAT6 -> HDMI Ethernet Adapter -> Onkyo Receiver.

For the TV to be picked up the Receiver needs to be turned on. If I turn on the receiver after computer has loaded windows and open the Nvidia Control Panel it will not detect it and I have to restart Windows and then it works fine, as I said, with my old AMD card this wasn't a problem.

Any ideas?

edit: if I disable and enable SLI it will pick it up

Yeah I have a 3 screen setup. Right now I'm just running on my Dell U3011. I need a displayport -> DVI adapter before I can use my one Titan with my 3 screens.

SLI is nice. I'm going to miss it. But if I get the itch again, I'll nab another Titan again if I can :p

SLI/CFX is cool, just wish it didn't come with downsides (input lag, animation roughness).

tilting_msh

Neo Member
I can get the MSI Z77 Mpower for about $45 more than the Asus P8Z77-V Lk right now, both are on sale and normally the difference would be about double that. I don't really plan on extreme overclocking though, was just going to OC my i5-3750k to something easy like 4.0-4.2ghz as I've never done it before...is it even worth me getting the MSI then? Probably not, I'm guessing. It just looks so nice lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom