• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

bump for new page. Really need to know.

Why would you want to do that?

Thanks for the advice, I've looked at improving the motherboard and the CPU but unfortunately I'm at the limit of my budget at that point. This is how it looks in the end:

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core £169.99
Motherboard MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 £61.99
Memory Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 £44.29
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM £49.98
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB £149.99
Power Supply XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V

It comes out at around £526

My final question is will all this fit together with no problem? Thanks for all your help and advice.

Yo.

Right as I said that build is a waste of a CPU, you're better off with the 3350p. What I would do is drop the 660 to the 7850 which saves you £14 and save another £15 by swapping to the 450w version of that XFX http://www.maplin.co.uk/450w-xfx-pr...echnology-587552?c=AffilWin127079&t=216430611 That would then let you get the GD55 motherboard, would come to £533 in total, and all from Amazon bar the GPU from Ebuyer and the PSU which you can get in your local Maplin. You could sell the two free games to bring the price down too

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£172.53 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£93.62 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£44.29 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.97 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Other: Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition 2GB Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card With FREE Never Settle Reloaded download coupon (£136.98)
Total: £533.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-04 23:24 BST+0100)

DeVeAn

So nvidia wise is the 770gtx the best bang for the buck? How much memory do I need on this card? Still going on a 570gtx

AndyBNV

Nvidia
ijOrf3owpCiLS.png

HD Tune Pro: ST2000DM001-9YN164 Benchmark

Test capacity: full

Read transfer rate
Transfer Rate Minimum : 70.1 MB/s
Transfer Rate Maximum : 208.8 MB/s
Transfer Rate Average : 139.9 MB/s
Access Time : 14.9 ms
Burst Rate : 228.9 MB/s
CPU Usage : 6.4%

I found these results on OCUK forums:

HDTune_ST3000DM001-9YN166.png

12262720.jpg

Seems to compare favorably with your results. Perhaps you have something like Windows Search Indexing enabled?

So nvidia wise is the 770gtx the best bang for the buck? How much memory do I need on this card? Still going on a 570gtx

GTX 760 is best bang for buck.

knitoe

Figured this might be a decent place to request help. My downloads folder on my 2TB Seagate Barracuda is very slow to load, and I'm worried about that. I only have about 7 GBs in there, and it's the only folder to run into this issue. It takes about 30 seconds to load and until that point it says there is nothing in it. I have about 500 GBs remaining, and my steam folder which is the most used at 700 GBs loads instantly.

Any advice?

Could be bad sector or sign of HDD slowly failing. Run Windows check disk and see if there's any errors. You can also try Seagate's program.

Roland1979

bump for new page. Really need to know.

Why would you want to do that?

He asked HOW, not WHY. Even if you don't think it's a good idea you could at least have answered him. And I'm not sure but I always thought you could downlock any CPU.
And he probably wants it to lengthen lifespan, increase stability or have better temperatures. No offense but as hardcore oc's no doubt he gets recommended some CPU-fan in that instance, but that might not be what he is looking for or bothers to install. He might not want to spent a single penny. Again, you can ask and reason with him, but IMO you should have answered him as well.

kharma45

I see that the 760 is half the price and the specs seem damn near identical.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0-939^14-130-939-08#&percm=14-130-939:$$$$$$$

At 1080p TechPowerUp rate it as around 17% better but it's still bloody great and overclocks well. I don't really rate the 770, I think the 7950 and 760 are cheaper and better buys and nearer it's price tag the 7970 is also cheaper and better. IMO in Nvidia's range its the 760 (which will suit most people) and the 780 that stand out. 770 is a perfectly good card in isolation don't get me wrong I just don't think it's sitting right in the market with regards to performance per pound/dollar.

He asked HOW, not WHY. Even if you don't think it's a good idea you could at least have answered him. And I'm not sure but I always thought you could downlock any CPU.
And he probably wants it to lengthen lifespan, increase stability or have better temperatures. No offense but as hardcore oc's no doubt he gets recommended some CPU-fan in that instance, but that might not be what he is looking for or bothers to install. He might not want to spent a single penny. Again, you can ask and reason with him, but IMO you should have answered him.

WELL I was just WONDERING WHY he would want to do that, I was just asking a bloody question. The CPU will downclock itself anyway, and it doing so will not prolong the lifespan. That all comes down to voltage and yes Oxn you can undervolt. Roland I don't even get what you're saying with the bolded part.

That is so much freaking money for a water cooled system. Why wouldn't you just get a dedicated processor water cooler for like $100, and then the air based cooling would be that much more effective for the GPU?

TheD

The Detective
Figured this might be a decent place to request help. My downloads folder on my 2TB Seagate Barracuda is very slow to load, and I'm worried about that. I only have about 7 GBs in there, and it's the only folder to run into this issue. It takes about 30 seconds to load and until that point it says there is nothing in it. I have about 500 GBs remaining, and my steam folder which is the most used at 700 GBs loads instantly.

Any advice?

Welcome to the world of drive slowing (and at some point drive killing) AAM & APM!

The reason that it takes sometime to display what is in the drive is because the fucking drive spinned down due APM and it needs to spin up again.

Spinning down then spinning up all the time causes more wear on the drive, it can often make a load noise when it spins up again and it will corrupt data if you try to write a large amount of data to the drive before the stupid cunt has spun up.

I have to run CrystalDiskInfo and use it's AAM/APM controls to disable the it!

Roland1979

WELL I was just WONDERING WHY he would want to do that, I was just asking a bloody question. The CPU will downclock itself anyway, and it doing so will not prolong the lifespan. That all comes down to voltage and yes Oxn you can undervolt. Roland I don't even get what you're saying with the bolded part.

Constructive criticism is never a insult. And i meant with the bolted part that if he would say that temps are a problem then i expect someone in this thread (not you particular) to recommend him a heat-sink and still not answer his question. And he was asking a bloody question as well. I only wrote it because he had to bump it. He asked it twice.

DeVeAn

Clearly the 770 outperforms the 760. But the difference isn't that big and I never considered the 760. I will browse some more. Luckily my list isn't final yet. I wander how big the differences are between synthetic tests and RL performance in this case.

3dmark2.jpg

55975.png

I want a 700 series card but, I have yet to really have a game that my 570 can't get 60fps @1080p. Still, I know AC3 and upcoming games I will start to see the difference. Waiting this stuff out is tough lol.

kharma45

I want a 700 series card but, I have yet to really have a game that my 570 can't get 60fps @1080p. Still, I know AC3 and upcoming games I will start to see the difference. Waiting this stuff out is tough lol.

Stick with it then and wait for 20nm cards, AMD should have ones by the end of the year.

Oxn

Constructive criticism is never a insult. And i meant with the bolted part that if he would say that temps are a problem then i expect someone in this thread (not you particular) to recommend him a heat-sink and still not answer his question. And he was asking a bloody question as well. I only wrote it because he had to bump it. He asked it twice.

Thanks,

As long as I can Underclock or undervolt thats cool.

To answer the question, I plan on doing it to my future htpc because , well I dont need that much power to run 1080p movies.

kharma45

Thanks,

As long as I can Underclock or undervolt thats cool.

To answer the question, I plan on doing it to my future htpc because , well I dont need that much power to run 1080p movies.

Yeah you'll be able to undervolt. There is little need though, CPUs (Intel at least) dynamically scale both voltage and clock speed so tbh you'll be fine leaving it as is. For an HTPC you'd be looking at parts with TDPs of 55w or 65w. Also some H77 boards can also undervolt so no need for a Z77.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I did a lot of research on framerates and such before deciding on my GTX760. I've only played CS:GO so far, but did average 270fps.

owasog

Right as I said that build is a waste of a CPU, you're better off with the 3350p. [...] and save another £15 by swapping to the 450w version of that XFX
It is never wise to save money on a CPU or Power Supply if you intend to keep your system for a long time.
If you decide to buy a more powerful GPU later on, you really don't want to realize that your PSU can't power the card, and your CPU is going to bottleneck it!

CPU+PSU = long term investment. GPU = "disposable".

kharma45

It is never wise to save money on a CPU or Power Supply if you intend to keep your system for a long time.
If you decide to buy a more powerful GPU later on, you really don't want to realize that your PSU can't power the card, and your CPU is going to bottleneck it!

CPU+PSU = long term investment. GPU = "disposable".

450w is sufficient for any mid-range and lower-high end GPU. Hell you could throw a 7970 at it and still be fine. Power consumption is generally trending downwards, that 450w will not be an issue.

Roland1979

Input lag+response time is very important. The first determines how quickly your signal has arrived and start reflecting what you do on screen, the second determines from the start of that how long it takes to complete that reflection. Adding them both up you have the system lag of your monitor (more or less, they are the most important factors, though not the only ones, but have the most influence by far). Some frames will be duplicates.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512976

kharma45

Input lag+response time is very important. The first determines how quickly your signal has arrived and start reflecting what you do on screen, the second determines from the start of that how long it takes to complete that reflection. Adding them both up you have the system lag of your monitor (more or less, they are the most important factors, though not the only ones, but have the most influence by far). Some frames will be duplicates.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512976

And only the link to mkenyon's thread actually answers his question.

I did a lot of research on framerates and such before deciding on my GTX760. I've only played CS:GO so far, but did average 270fps.

270 is the frame limiter iirc.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Gotcha about the frame limiter stuff. Btw, I was getting no mouse input on my bios and flashed it. Now, I'm getting no mouse response on any of the motherboard USB ports, but I am on the case ports. Any ideas?

kennah

That is so much freaking money for a water cooled system. Why wouldn't you just get a dedicated processor water cooler for like $100, and then the air based cooling would be that much more effective for the GPU?
Looks cool. Is quieter. Most of the expense carries forward to future builds. Usually the only thing you need to replace is the gpu block.

I'm doing it because watercooling takes up less room than air cooling. This teeny tiny case is going to be awesome.

Next week hopefully!

Roland1979

And only the link to mkenyon's thread actually answers his question.
270 is the frame limiter iirc.
True, I should have tried to explain it but that's new for me as well.
So I rather let the thread do the explaining then explaining it wrong.
I threw in the lag part because perfect frames are almost pointless with huge lag.

kharma45

True, I should have tried to explain it but that's new for me as well.
So I rather let the thread do the explaining then explaining it wrong.
I threw in the lag part because perfect frames are almost pointless with huge lag.

True. I know for instance my wireless mouse probably has fairly bad lag relative to a wired one but fuck wires.

tilting_msh

Neo Member
So I'm trying to decide between 1080p and 1440p. Obv I would like to try 1440p but I also don't want to blow my budget. Below is what I've priced out so far, though it's still in a state of flux as I'm looking at soundcards and figuring out my GPU, and waiting for sales. I've already bought the Case and the Ducky keyboard, and I'm leaning towards either a GTX 760 or an AMD 7950 but I'm not sure that's enough for 1440p?

I'm not planning on playing cutting edge, graphically intense games - my backlog of games I want to play are relatively older ones like Fallout 3/NV (w/ mods), Last Remnant, Skyrim (no texture mods, tho), Dragon Age Origins, Deux Ex: HR...stuff like that.

Would a 760 or 7950 run these games at 1440p at a respectable level? By respectable I guess I mean at fairly high settings with a decent FPS.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($43.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Thermal Compound: Masscool G751 Shin-Etsu 0.5g Thermal Paste ($20.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($113.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.25 @ Vuugo)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Keyboard: Ducky DK9087S2 Shine II Wired Standard Keyboard ($119.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $952.63

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
One more stupid question: I reinstalled the Intel 3.0 USB drivers and they work again, but now I get the security pop-up window asking if I want to run the iusb3mon.exe file (since apparently I didn't unblock the zip file prior to unzipping). Is it safe to have it not ask in the future? Will it still ask before it tries to run a different program? Thanks.
EDIT: I went ahead and reinstalled the driver, unlocking the zip first. I learned something new.

kennah

Anyone interested in 16 gigs of GSKILL ripjaw Z quadchannel ram? 2133, cas 11-11-11-30 4x4 gig sticks. Red low profile stuff. Looking for $120 shipped from Canada. Doesn't look like I'm going to get to the rig I have it for anytime soon.

vilmer_

Anyone interested in 16 gigs of GSKILL ripjaw Z quadchannel ram? 2133, cas 11-11-11-30 4x4 gig sticks. Red low profile stuff. Looking for $120 shipped from Canada. Doesn't look like I'm going to get to the rig I have it for anytime soon.

This is verrrry tempting :p

scogoth

Welp, ~$500 in, and I officially give up on an acrylic system :(

That really really really sucks.... =(

I'm using XSPC Thermochill and its quite flexible to work with but no kinks (yet, been about 6 months) and I have some pretty tight corners. mkenyon was trying to get me on Duralene but the shipping to Canada was more than the tubing. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/othertubing.html

I have the monsoon fitting and they are fantastic*. Expensive but fantastic*. Getting into the really tight spots was so much better with the tool than my fingers.

*Except their temp sensors which leak. Both mine and menkyons.....

kennah

You're right I should buy monsoons for the splash.

Someone buy my ram, I need fittings, pump and rads : p
This is verrrry tempting :p
Do it. Let me know how I can make it more tempting for you. Have lots of computer crap around my house that my wife would love for me to send away. Pm me anything you are looking for.

So I have a Phenom x6 on an AM3+ motherboard, which I bought very recently to replace a fried AM3 board. I'm thinking of waiting for Steamroller, but getting an interim CPU. Should I just get a FX-8350 or wait for the closest FX-9000 series equivalent? The price of the 9590 is redonkulols.

I don't really want to switch to Intel after changing the MB so recently.

mkenyon

Banned
Been AFK working on my build. I should be mostly done tomorrow, maybe even ready for leak tests. I'll be posting pics at some point. Then I'll be heading down to Portland to help a friend piece together his new build. He's calling it 'Radiance' with some Dota themes.

The interior is all powdercoated with a brilliant gold, exterior with a textured black/red coat. It sounded terrible when he first described it, but this has some serious potential.

The cool part is that he has a Raspberry Pi controlled LED strip that will be doing controlled fading of orange/yellow to make it look like the inside is shimmering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPv2Fxz5lOg

itxaka

Defeatist
woah, so my card is getting 85ºC when playing thanks to being fucking hot in here.

If I underclock it a little bit will the temps cool a bit? I know there are risks when overclocking but are there any with underclocking? Never had to underclock anything :D

The cool part is that he has a Raspberry Pi controlled LED strip that will be doing controlled fading of orange/yellow to make it look like the inside is shimmering.

wat. That is awesome, never thougth of it...what could my pi do with my computer...temp/fan/control...nice.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
woah, so my card is getting 85ºC when playing thanks to being fucking hot in here.

If I underclock it a little bit will the temps cool a bit? I know there are risks when overclocking but are there any with underclocking? Never had to underclock anything :D

You don't say which card you're using, but if it's one of our 600 or 700 series GPUs they're designed to run at those temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom