• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for the quick reply, Coldsnap! I couldn't find a specific "disable" but I found a thread that said this:

"If you are like me, who'd wish to use the SLEEP and RESUME features you must enable CPU C1E, otherwise your processor will remain in a "HLT" state upon waking up - leading to a remature crash & "Overclocking Failure!!""

Just tried it once - and seems to go to sleep faster and I didn't have an issue. The symptoms - to be honest - have been kind of random. But at least your advice gets me going in some direction rather than just thumping my head. *Crossing my fingers* that works!

If it doesn't, I'll keep digging.

Also disable Wake on LAN for all your network devices. That was my issue.

Ended up getting a new PSU after earlier issues. Complete shot in the dark, but decided to give it a shot.

We have a flash screen! Don't know what was wrong with the old PSU, but apparently it was the source of the problem.

Coldsnap

Thank you very much for the quick reply, Coldsnap! I couldn't find a specific "disable" but I found a thread that said this:

"If you are like me, who'd wish to use the SLEEP and RESUME features you must enable CPU C1E, otherwise your processor will remain in a "HLT" state upon waking up - leading to a remature crash & "Overclocking Failure!!""

Just tried it once - and seems to go to sleep faster and I didn't have an issue. The symptoms - to be honest - have been kind of random. But at least your advice gets me going in some direction rather than just thumping my head. *Crossing my fingers* that works!

If it doesn't, I'll keep digging.

Let me know what you find, my PC also won't stay in sleep. It's on the list of things I need to iron out hehe.

Do you have a SSD? I had the same thing with a Crucial 128GB drive - performed flawlessly in Windows 7 but would freeze in Windows 8. Turns out I needed to upgrade the firmware on the SSD.

Just my 2c given my experience.

Nope, running Windows off my hard drive. I'm testing out some games now and they are running flawlessly. Not sure what was going on.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You can carry over the ram, since the speed doesn't matter much with the recent intel chips.

I was in the exact same boat a while ago too: I also had a phenom II with 12GB of PC 10666 and a hyper 212+ and switched to a 4670k while keeping the RAM. (I never put the 212 on the 4670k though since I switched over to a WC loop before that)

Awesome! I think I shall price shop on Newegg this weekend! :D

Maddux4163

Neo Member
Help me GAF.

Is this overkill? Trim the fat somewhere? What am I missing? Overlooking?

cf06a7e717bfa190799c207647d14766.jpg

zoku88

I think Dell is announcing a new 24" monitor pretty soon.

If you're the type to care about monitors, maybe hold off on buying the 2412M to see what the new one will be like.

Apparently, it's the UP2414Q

Not familiar with Dell monitors names, but they just announced the UP3214Q, which is their 32" 4K monitor (same panel as the ASUS one?)

Maybe the 2414Q will also be a high-res monitor (not 4K though, lol. maybe 2560x1600).

Is your computer just for games, btw? If so, I think you're overspending. Don't really see any reason for you go to with the i7 instead of the i5.

Or to go with that particular mobo.

Maddux4163

Neo Member

If you're the type to care about monitors, maybe hold off on buying the 2412M to see what the new one will be like.

Not familiar with Dell monitors names, but they just announced the UP3214Q, which is their 32" 4K monitor (same panel as the ASUS one?)

Maybe the 2414Q will also be a high-res monitor (not 4K though, lol. maybe 2560x1600).

Is your computer just for games, btw? If so, I think you're overspending. Don't really see any reason for you go to with the i7 instead of the i5.

I haven't built a PC since the pentium II days. So I'm rusty.

It's strictly for games. More or less. I really don't know what I'm doing. Well....I guess I know more than the average joe walking around.

But any advice on where I should be with my build is appreciated

senahorse

Watercooling parts list (most just ordered, some on hand):

1 Koolance CPU-380I CPU Water Block for Intel
2 x EK XXL Titan/780 Waterblocks with backplates
2 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 360mm
1 EK Full Cover Bridge Dual Serial 3 Slot CSQ
9 Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Dual Rotary Angle 1/2 Fitting
4 Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Dual Rotary 45 Degree 1/2 Fitting
6 Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black 1/2 Compression Fitting CC5
1 Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Mini Valve
2 Phobya Y-Cable 3Pin to 6x 3Pin 60cm - Black
2 Bitspower Deluxe 5mm Heatshrink - Black
1 Arctic Silver 5 (3.5g)
1 Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra (for delidding)
1 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings, Black Chrome, 6 pack
2 3pin Extension Cable
15 x SCYTHE GENTLE TYPHOON 120mm 1850rpm
AQUACOMPUTER AQUABUS Y-CONNECTOR 4-PINS
AQUACOMPUTER AQUAERO 5 PRO
AQUACOMPUTER AQUALIS XT WITH FILL SENSOR L/H
AQUACOMPUTER BLUE/RED LIGHTING MODULE
2x AQUACOMPUTER D5 USB AQUABUS PUMP
AQUACOMPUTER FRONTPLATE FOR AQUAERO 5 PRO (ALUMINUM BLACK)
AQUACOMPUTER HEAT SINK FOR AQUAERO
AQUACOMPUTER HOLDER FOR AQUALIS RESERVOIR
AQUACOMPUTER RGB ILLUMINATION MODULE FOR AQUAERO
2 x AQUACOMPUTER Temp-Sensor Inner/Outer G1/4
PRIMOCHILL LIQUID UTOPIA 15mlPCLUBT-CLR
AQUACOMPUTER FILLPORT
AQUACOMPUTER FLOW SENSOR MPS 400
PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 1/2in ID x 3/4in OD Tubing-Bloodshed RedPFLEXA-34-R
EK-PSC Fitting 13mm - G1/4 Black3831109845080
AQUACOMPUTER Pump adapter for D5 pumps, compatible with Aqualis
AQUACOMPUTER AQUABUS CABLE 4-PINS
AQUACOMPUTER CONNECTION CABLE FOR FLOW SENSOR
AQUACOMPUTER PUMP ADAPTER FOR D5 PUMPS/AQUALIS
KoolRoom SilverKR Silver

Stage 1 of build here:

Stage one complete:

front_zps9585ab8d.jpg~original

sidepic_zps4ca3002d.jpg~original

Not the cleanest cabling job, but it will do until stage 2 (water cooling), I am pretty happy with how it has turned out so far :D.

Specs: 4770K, Asus ROG Hero mb, 16GB Gskill 2400Mhz DDR3, Noctua D14, 2 x Gigabyte Windforce 780's, Corsair 900D case, Corsair fans (will be replaced with GT's), Seasonic 1000W Platinum PSU, Bitfenix Recon fan controller, 1 x 2TB WD Black HDD, 1 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD.

maneil99

Should I re test my Overclocks stability after reformatting ( Went from Windows 8 Cracked to Genuine ) I had ran a 24 hour test and 100 runs of IBT 2 months ago no wheas at all.

RoKKeR

Wow, Steam Big Picture Mode is pretty much the best thing ever.

One question: How do you, with an Xbox 360 controller, make it back "home"? I know if you press the Xbox guide button you get the Steam overlay but I want to get back to my library without having to exit the game client.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Hey Guys,

Im thinkin of not gettin an i7 4th gen, but get an i5 4th gen ,and with the money is save get a 780 instead of a 770 , is it a good deal? or the cpu has to be an i7?

btw I want to game with the computer, do some illustrator and some 3d

kennah

I've seen my P5Q Pro is actually going for ~$130 on ebay? Sounds like worth selling separately to me. Plus my Corsair XMS3 2x2GB looks like it'll go for around $40 a pair, so... all told I'll get a nice chunk of my purchase price back.
Cool. Glad you did your research. Was just doing a random guess based off your cpu :)

mkenyon

Banned
Watercooling parts list (most just ordered, some on hand):

Stage 1 of build here:
Dat Aquasuite.

Looks like you're going balls deep too. I think you need some 12mm copper pipe instead of tubes for a build that epic.

Delidding, I presume?

I didn't see 120hz as a feature listed.
So, I seem to have a pretty stable 4.6Ghz going on my 3820. A couple hours of Prime95 seems to run fine. General tasks are fine. Even played a few hours of Planetside 2 with a nice bump in framerates and no issues. Idles around 35c, and hits about 45-50c when gaming, and tops out at 70c after Prime95 with my fans around 1200RPM.

But for some reason... it just won't go to sleep correctly. Sometimes when putting it to sleep, sometimes when waking it... but sleep just doesn't seem to work right, and my BIOS detects an error and I have to "re-do" my settings. What's the issue? What should I be looking at? Cause it's fine 99% of the time - even turning it off and back on. But putting it to sleep makes it unstable. Ideas? Thanks!

Also... Planetside 2 is gorgeous! Even at 4.6 and on a Titan, it struggles to stay above 60fps. But I'm okay; I know I'm running it as best as any decently-specced rig can.

9372377713_b6a0c53a66_b.jpg
Sleep and overclocking just don't mix. There's no reason to have a sleep state anyway. Not good for SSDs (all that writing), not really much faster than a full boot with SSDs either.
Help me GAF.

Is this overkill? Trim the fat somewhere? What am I missing? Overlooking?

cf06a7e717bfa190799c207647d14766.jpg
Lots of fat.

1) Motherboard. Drop that for the MSI GD45-Gaming, Z87 Plus, or Gigabyte UD4H.

2) 4770K. I'm not really a fan of Haswell to begin with. But, if you're sold on it, and this is for gaming, then drop it down to a 4570K.

3) Swap 840 Pro 128 for 840 (non pro) 240, or Crucial M4/M500, HyperX, or whatever happens to be on sale this week.

4) The Hyper 212 comes with TIM. You don't need the Noctua TIM too.

5) Corsair 850 PSU. Drop that for a Seasonic/XFX Pro Series/Corsair AX 650/750, again, whatever happens to be on sale at the moment. Those are all the same three PSUs.

6) Do you *really* need a DVD writer?

7) Swap the Dell monitor for one of the 120Hz displays in the OP.

8) 600T. It's pretty, I know. I've had two of them. It's not a great case though, and suffers from a number of issues. It has cooling problems because of those issues. It takes a lot of work to get where a lot of other cases are. That's why it's not in the OP.

Look at the Fractal Arc Midi, Fractal Define R4, Lian Li PC-7HX (which is $80 on newegg right now). If you're a big fan of Corsair cases, consider getting an mATX motherboard and the 350D. It's a good case too.

That should drop your price by ~$300-400, you won't lose any performance, your temps will in fact be *lower*, your case will be quieter, and you'll have the best PSU ever made. So, pretty much wins all around.

Downloaded the newest beta Nvidia driver for the 700 series. I seem to get the lines in games sometimes. It looks almost like when you record a tv with a video camera but it's not as bad. Should I go back to older drivers? These are the first drivers I've tried with my new 760.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Downloaded the newest beta Nvidia driver for the 700 series. I seem to get the lines in games sometimes. It looks almost like when you record a tv with a video camera but it's not as bad. Should I go back to older drivers? These are the first drivers I've tried with my new 760.

Do you mean tearing?

senahorse

Dat Aquasuite.

Looks like you're going balls deep too. I think you need some 12mm copper pipe instead of tubes for a build that epic.

Delidding, I presume?

Ha that would look pretty cool. Yep delidding, got my coolaboratory liquid ultra here ready to go. Been running the 4770K at a stable 4.5Ghz for a month now, does hit the 80's in load and 90's with major stress testing so it will be nice to see those temps drop :).

kharma45

Sleep and overclocking just don't mix. There's no reason to have a sleep state anyway. Not good for SSDs (all that writing), not really much faster than a full boot with SSDs either.

For SSDs sleep is fine unless it's hybrid sleep as your session is saved to the RAM not the disk. It's only hybrid sleep and hibernate that are going to cause more writes to the SSD.

So I've narrowed down my weird problem to either the GPU or my cable. Going to test another cable tomorrow and hope it works. Really don't want to RMA :( Windows also froze on me again. Not sure what's up.

Maddux4163

Neo Member
Dat Aquasuite.

Delidding, I presume?

I didn't see 120hz as a feature listed.

Lots of fat.

1) Motherboard. Drop that for the MSI GD45-Gaming, Z87 Plus, or Gigabyte UD4H.

2) 4770K. I'm not really a fan of Haswell to begin with. But, if you're sold on it, and this is for gaming, then drop it down to a 4570K.

3) Swap 840 Pro 128 for 840 (non pro) 240, or Crucial M4/M500, HyperX, or whatever happens to be on sale this week.

4) The Hyper 212 comes with TIM. You don't need the Noctua TIM too.

5) Corsair 850 PSU. Drop that for a Seasonic/XFX Pro Series/Corsair AX 650/750, again, whatever happens to be on sale at the moment. Those are all the same three PSUs.

6) Do you *really* need a DVD writer?

7) Swap the Dell monitor for one of the 120Hz displays in the OP.

8) 600T. It's pretty, I know. I've had two of them. It's not a great case though, and suffers from a number of issues. It has cooling problems because of those issues. It takes a lot of work to get where a lot of other cases are. That's why it's not in the OP.

Look at the Fractal Arc Midi, Fractal Define R4, Lian Li PC-7HX (which is $80 on newegg right now). If you're a big fan of Corsair cases, consider getting an mATX motherboard and the 350D. It's a good case too.

That should drop your price by ~$300-400, you won't lose any performance, your temps will in fact be *lower*, your case will be quieter, and you'll have the best PSU ever made. So, pretty much wins all around.

You're awesome. Thanks so much!

kennah

New EVGA z87 motherboard prices are up on their site:

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=1&family=Motherboard+Family&chipset=Intel+Z87

The delay, according to EVGA reps on their offiicial forums, was the wait to finalize the c2 chipset. All EVGA z87 boards will ship with the new c2 chipset.

I'm going to do my best and wait for some reviews.

Edit:

Classified: $399.99
FTW: $219.99
Stinger: $219.99

I love mistakes on company product websites. The Stinger (ITX) is listed as having 4 dimm slots and 600mb/s sata ports.

Prozel

Today I boguht and picked uo the parts for my new PC. When I was done building it I couldn't turn it on at all. Turns it was the GPU. After I disconnected I tried again and the red LED showed up (Define R4), but it wouldn't give me any picture at all.

Now I've disconnected everything and I'm gonna return the mobo (Asrock z87m-pro) for another one.

Am I right to assume it's mobo's fault?

CSampson

Been having a lot of ATI driver issues on win7 x64. Seems to always crash while running flash videos/streaming. I've completely uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled win7 on my SSD and then re-installed the drivers. While the problem disappeared for a bit, they eventually came back and it has been happening more and more. Always the same cycle.

I've tried older drivers and beta drivers. Nothing seems to change. I'm thinking the only solution would be to move to a Nvidia card. I also tried changing settings in Flash (eg. disable hardware acceleration) and use beta flash drivers.

Has anyone heard or experienced of anything similar?

Thanks so much for your help. I think I'll dish out a little more then and go with the 3770k and maybe the GTX760.

I have another different question about hard drives. Should I install the OS to my solid state (if i get one) and nothing else? What I mean is, will it be good to also keep my hd DSLR videos on my SSD or should I not bother and keep them on the HDD?

I was basically in your same situation and went 3770k + 660 + 16gb RAM + 120GB SSD + 2TB HDD for Premiere CS5.5, Lightroom etc.

That set-up has worked flawlessly for me in all aspects. As long as you change your DSLR video file extensions to .MPG (for Nikon at least) you will be editing in real time with no issues.

Great for gaming too.

kharma45

Been having a lot of ATI driver issues on win7 x64. Seems to always crash while running flash videos/streaming. I've completely uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled win7 on my SSD and then re-installed the drivers. While the problem disappeared for a bit, they eventually came back and it has been happening more and more. Always the same cycle.

I've tried older drivers and beta drivers. Nothing seems to change. I'm thinking the only solution would be to move to a Nvidia card. I also tried changing settings in Flash (eg. disable hardware acceleration) and use beta flash drivers.

Has anyone heard or experienced of anything similar?

Tried a different browser? Could be an issue with it and/or any add ons you use.

Nekrono

Guys I have a question, do you have any tips/tweaks/software recommendations for optimizing and speeding up Windows 7 performance? Especially boot times?

I don't have an SSD but Windows seems to be taking a lot longer to boot up, I usually just format my PC but right now I don't have time for that, is there any program that will restore that "just formatted" performance and speed without actually formatting the PC?

So I got a new motherboard, processor and power supply a few days ago. After several days of fucked up components rendering the system unable to boot, we finally put it together and got to the boot screen.

Unfortunately, my old hard drive has a ruined Windows install on it that can't start up, so I need to completely start fresh with a new Win7 install. We can't seem to get the system to boot from the DVD drive, though - it just keeps going to the "Select WIndows Partit-ERROR" screen.

Does anyone have any experience with Gigabyte motherboards? I really want to get this fucker up and running.

rando14

I hope this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have an older PCIE 2.0 video card they aren't using that they'd like to sell? I have an older gtx 260 but it's kinda pooping out so I'm looking to replace it. Thanks for your time

Jeb

Why do people keep recommending the I5 3570K's over the 4670k's? and the 3770k's over the 4770k's?
Problems with haswell?
I see them at similar prices, I was expecting them to go obsolete, but I'm new to this stuff so what's the deal?

kharma45

Why do people keep recommending the I5 3570K's over the 4670k's? and the 3770k's over the 4770k's?
Problems with haswell?

Cheaper, runs cooler, overclocks better to negate the slight performance bump Haswell brings and the hardware is all a known quantity. Only reason to go Haswell is if you're big into emulating Wii games or PS2 games.

Good call. Been using only Chrome. I will try Firefox and see what happens.

Firefox ftw. Chrome is pretty shit of late.

Jeb

Cheaper, runs cooler, overclocks better to negate the slight performance bump Haswell brings and the hardware is all a known quantity. Only reason to go Haswell is if you're big into emulating Wii games or PS2 games.
Thanks, but are Haswell's still good purchase despite the comparison?

Guys I have a question, do you have any tips/tweaks/software recommendations for optimizing and speeding up Windows 7 performance? Especially boot times?

I don't have an SSD but Windows seems to be taking a lot longer to boot up, I usually just format my PC but right now I don't have time for that, is there any program that will restore that "just formatted" performance and speed without actually formatting the PC?

Try to limit the programs that you have set to start when windows logs in. If it's not something that needs to run like an anti-virus, disable it. You can do that with most programs through the program's options, otherwise you can use msconfig in windows 7 to disable some of the programs that startup.

Make sure your bios has the drive you are booting from listed #1 in it's priorities. Disable boot from cd/dvd until you have to install something with your optical drive.

Run a defrag if you haven't for a while. Run clean disk to delete temporary files that may slow down your pc.

What I listed might help some, but you are limited by the hdd and how many crap you might have in your registry from installing and uninstalling things since your last format.

Croyles

I was basically in your same situation and went 3770k + 660 + 16gb RAM + 120GB SSD + 2TB HDD for Premiere CS5.5, Lightroom etc.

That set-up has worked flawlessly for me in all aspects. As long as you change your DSLR video file extensions to .MPG (for Nikon at least) you will be editing in real time with no issues.

Great for gaming too.

I record in AVCHD. I'm still confused about the whole codec vs wrapper thing but apparently my choice is the best quality but quite slow to encode.

Firefox ftw. Chrome is pretty shit of late.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I was a huge Chrome fanboy, but it's been very unstable for me lately as well. Firefox has been running a lot better for me and the extensions on firefox don't disable downloading from youtube if I feel like it. I still use Chrome(I'm typing this via Chrome now), but I use firefox for critical things and downloading these days.

Jeb

Thanks.
Also want to ask about overclocking, Both for CPU and GPU.
I hear so much talk about it, should it be done as soon as possible so the system reaches its maximum potential? or should you wait till you need it?
Cause I don't want to stress the system out as soon as I get it, after all the money poured into it, I want it to be safe as possible, but what do I know, tons of people are doing it.

ombz

So I updated my crucial m4 ssd last night using the download from their website. Everything seemed fine after I rebooted but this morning when I turned my computer on the ssd was not recognized. I googled about it and read to leave the ssd powered on in the bios for 40 minutes. I did that and everything seems fine now. Is there anything I should do so this doesn't happen again?

Thanks.
Also want to ask about overclocking, Both for CPU and GPU.
I hear so much talk about it, should it be done as soon as possible so the system reaches its maximum potential? or should you wait till you need it?
Cause I don't want to stress the system out as soon as I get it, after all the money poured into it, I want it to be safe as possible, but what do I know, tons of people are doing it.

Overclocking is pretty simple and safe these days, but if it makes you feel better, you can wait a month or so just to see that the hardware is stable. I must confess that I waited a year myself for my first time, but I was surprised how easy it was.

bro1

Banned
Try to limit the programs that you have set to start when windows logs in. If it's not something that needs to run like an anti-virus, disable it. You can do that with most programs through the program's options, otherwise you can use msconfig in windows 7 to disable some of the programs that startup.

Make sure your bios has the drive you are booting from listed #1 in it's priorities. Disable boot from cd/dvd until you have to install something with your optical drive.

Run a defrag if you haven't for a while. Run clean disk to delete temporary files that may slow down your pc.

What I listed might help some, but you are limited by the hdd and how many crap you might have in your registry from installing and uninstalling things since your last format.
Do not run defrag on a ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom