• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaitoH

I have an older PC for web surfing and Lightroom.- intel 8400 with 4 gig of ram and thought I'd do a cheap upgrade by adding an SSD.

I wanted to do a clean install of windows 8 and am having no success. It seems to go through the install fine, but when it detects devices and needs to reboot I see the windows 8 boot screen then it goes black and nothing happens.

I've made sure my motherboard (gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H) is set to AHCI and I can see that my Samsung 840 is detected in the bios, but no joy.

Any ideas about what to do, or do I need a more modern motherboard (which means processor and ram as well)?

yatesl

So I updated my crucial m4 ssd last night using the download from their website. Everything seemed fine after I rebooted but this morning when I turned my computer on the ssd was not recognized. I googled about it and read to leave the ssd powered on in the bios for 40 minutes. I did that and everything seems fine now. Is there anything I should do so this doesn't happen again?

This happened to me after messing about inside. Apparently it happens if there's a sudden power cut (re: turning your PC off whilst booting at a certain times, it seems). I've had no more issues so far, and I've had it just over a year now (although it only happened a week or so ago.)

Cetra

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card. My current build is:

i52500k OC'd @ 4.2GHz
8Gigs DDR
80Gig SSD for Windows and Final Fantasy XIV: ARR
1TB Storage drive
EVGA GTX570 OC'd.

I'd like to run an SLi setup that can out-perform my current single GPU solution without spending more than $800.00. I've looked at some 760's but I'm not sure if those in an SLi configuration can beat a single 780.

Suggestions?

Managed to get the system powered up and Windows reinstalled, but it's strangely not recognizing my graphics card (GTX 275). The card itself is functioning (its fan is on), but Windows doesn't seem to see it. I can only get visuals out of my machine by using the motherboard's onboard DVI port.

Has anyone ever run into that before?

kennah

i52500k OC'd @ 4.2GHz
8Gigs DDR
1TB Storage drive
EVGA GTX570 OC'd.

I'd like to run an SLi setup that can out-perform my current single GPU solution without spending more than $800.00. I've looked at some 760's but I'm not sure if those in an SLi configuration can beat a single 780.

Suggestions?
... anything current will out perform your current GPU. For an $800 budget don't bother with SLI and just get a 780 or try to find a used Titan/690 in that price range.

Cetra

... anything current will out perform your current GPU. For an $800 budget don't bother with SLI and just get a 780 or try to find a used Titan/690 in that price range.

I was thinking the SLI would help with doing some downsampling on FFXIV and other games, since it would give me more available Vram. I guess if a single 780 would beat SLI'd 760s then that's the end of that line of thought.

Does more vram even help with downsampling?

kharma45

You'll still have the same SLI issues with the 690 though.

i52500k OC'd @ 4.2GHz
8Gigs DDR
1TB Storage drive
EVGA GTX570 OC'd.

Suggestions?

Get a 780, you'll have less issues.

I was thinking the SLI would help with doing some downsampling on FFXIV and other games, since it would give me more available Vram. I guess if a single 780 would beat SLI'd 760s then that's the end of that line of thought.

VRAM is mirrored when you SLI. So 2x 2GB cards equals 2GB of VRAM.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

In SLI/CF, the VRAM is mirrored. So effectively, a 2gb card plus a 2gb card does not equal 4 gigs, but rather still 2.

snack

I transferred my SSD over to a new build and I am getting this error whenever I startup my computer. Boot takes forever too now.

temporary-paging-file-has-been-created.jpg

Anyone know what is wrong?

I record in AVCHD. I'm still confused about the whole codec vs wrapper thing but apparently my choice is the best quality but quite slow to encode.

Yeah I can't say I have any experience with natively editing AVCHD in Premiere. However, I can say that the 3770k and a Nvidia GPU will make definitely give as good an experience as possible for a reasonable price. I'm not sure about the 760 and what version of Premiere you're using, but this is a must read to make sure you can take full advantage of your GPU when rendering in CS5.5 and earlier (it is a good overview for CS6 or CC too).

GPU Acceleration and Premiere Pro

I transferred my SSD over to a new build and I am getting this error whenever I startup my computer. Boot takes forever too now.

temporary-paging-file-has-been-created.jpg

Anyone know what is wrong?

You don't have a paging file setup and the system is having issues with the virtual memory. Windows uses a ton of memory when starting up and if you have less than 16GB (some agrue 8GB) then windows uses harddrive space as virtual memory (paging file) and if there's not a paging file set, well you're gonna have the issues you currently have, so you need to create a paging file;

1. In Windows right click on computer and select properties and then advanced system settings or goto control panel -> system -> advanced system settings.

2. Next click advanced and under performance click settings.

3. Select the advanced tab and you'll see a section called virtual memory, click change.

4. There are a couple of ways to do this but if you are worried about screwing your PC up, click on the automatically managing paging filesize for all drives and then ok.

5. You'll be prompted for a restart, do it.

6. Problem solved.

f786c4f819ae0d0a855a72b7acdce5d9.jpg

llamarawk

Hey, guys. My video card is in need of an upgrade. Looking for something $200ish that would fit my rig right now:

Upgrading from AMD Radeon HD 6670
i5-2320 @ 3.00 Ghz
8 GB RAM

CA, USA
Used for Gaming
Res: 1920x1080
Would like to run Dark Souls, Arkham City, and ideally next gen games at 30FPS+ at least (60 preferably)
Not overclocking

Any recommendations?

Hey, guys. My video card is in need of an upgrade. Looking for something $200ish that would fit my rig right now:

i5-2320 @ 3.00 Ghz
8 GB RAM

CA, USA
Used for Gaming
Would like to run Dark Souls, Arkham City, and ideally next gen games at 30FPS+ at least (60 preferably)
Not overclocking

Any recommendations?

What about the power supply? If you're stepping up GPU's, will need to be sure that your PSU can handle it.

GPU-wise a Radeon HD 7850 would be a decent upgrade as long as it has 2GB onboard memory;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...H&Description=Radeon+HD+7850+&N=-1&isNodeId=1

There's also a few Radeon HD 7878's under $200 as well;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...deon HD 7870&name=$100 - $200&Order=BESTMATCH

On Nvidia's side you could get a GTX 660;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tion=gtx 660&name=$100 - $200&Order=BESTMATCH

Would also add that if you can afford the extra $$ to go with the GTX 670 / GTX 760 if possible.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tion=GTX 760&name=$200 - $300&Order=BESTMATCH

Remember the higher the resolution the more VRAM you're going to want. Stay away from 1GB when going at 1920 x 1080 and above.

GAF what would be a good replacement for my GTX 470 that actual shows some improvement without going over 200 bucks?

See above, you're in the same boat.

Heysoos

I bought an SSD for my build, however I can't find any of the old accessories that can with my HAF 912. I've looked for 2 days now. I can't even find the removable thing for extra hard drives. How screwed am I when it comes to installing it? Am I going to have to get a new case?

Genji

Just wanted to thank you guys for setting up this very informative thread. Wasn't sure how to upgrade my current PC, but took a look at the options in the OP and settled on going from a GTX 460 1GB -> GTX 760 2GB for now. Awesome thread!

snack

You don't have a paging file setup and the system is having issues with the virtual memory. Windows uses a ton of memory when starting up and if you have less than 16GB (some agrue 8GB) then windows uses harddrive space as virtual memory (paging file) and if there's not a paging file set, well you're gonna have the issues you currently have, so you need to create a paging file;

1. In Windows right click on computer and select properties and then advanced system settings or goto control panel -> system -> advanced system settings.

3. Select the advanced tab and you'll see a section called virtual memory, click change.

4. There are a couple of ways to do this but if you are worried about screwing your PC up, click on the automatically managing paging filesize for all drives and then ok.

6. Problem solved.

Okay. I did that, now the error message goes away when I boot up the computer. But it still takes forever to get load into Windows on a cold boot. No idea why...

bronzeP

Banned
Hello PC gamers, im getting a new (pre-built) Desktop PC at the end of this summer and want your opinion about it.

I'd like to hear answers to the following questions:

Is this PC good for current and future games?
Am I getting ripped-off with that price?

I'm certainly not an expert with PC's that's why im playing safe mode and buy a pre built.

Here is all information I have:

• Cooler Master HAF RC-932 Advanced Big Tower (ATX)
  • Intel Core i7-4770K 4x 3.50 GHz
  • Cooler Master Hyper T4
  • 16384MB DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz
  • 3072 MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780, 2x DVI, HDMI, Display Port
  • MSI Z87-G43 (Chipsatz: Z87/ATX)
  • 1000 GB SATA III, 7200upm
  • 250GB SATA III Samsung 840 SSD
  • 650 Watt Corsair VS650
  • 3.5 Zoll/8.9 cm 16/1 Card Reader
  • Windows 8 64Bit OEM

Total Price: 1.799€

Here are some pics of the PC:

3Nctv.jpg

3Ncwv.jpg

3NcwX.jpg

Okay. I did that, now the error message goes away when I boot up the computer. But it still takes forever to get load into Windows on a cold boot. No idea why...

Might be crap in your startup. Click on the windows start icon and type "msconfig" in the search box. The MSconfig app will show up, click that.

Click the startup tab and see how much stuff is in the start and remove what doesn't need to be in there. Crap like iTunes, spotify, java updater, google music manager, quicktime or any other crap can be removed. Keep only needed items for startup and don't remove anything you aren't sure of.

Also, are you running the SSD in ACHI mode? To check it goto Control panel -> device manager and check the IDE / ATAPI controllers. If it doesn't say something like "standard ACHI serial ata controller" then the SSD drive won't run so well.

c9d4198636361a01338c05dc83eec871.jpg

If it's not in ACHI mode;

How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 after Instalation:

There is one way to fix this, although you need to have knowledge of registry editing. The detailed steps from Microsoft are as follows:

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

These steps are provided at your own risk and not suggested unless you know and understand the risks. You will want to make sure the controller driver and MB BIOS support this option before you enable it

If it is, check to make sure your mobo chipset drivers are up to date.

snack

Okay so I think I solved it. :D

My main OS was on the SSD but some programs were installed to my HDD instead. I connected the HDD back and the boot times were back to normal.

I guess the computer was thinking really hard because it could not find the programs when I did not have the HDD attached, hence the long ass boot times?

Okay so I think I solved it. :D

My main OS was on the SSD but some programs were installed to my HDD instead. I connected the HDD back and the boot times were back to normal.

I guess the computer was thinking really hard because it could not find the programs when I did not have the HDD attached, hence the long ass boot times?

Yah, timing out. Good job solving it.

kharma45

i5-2320 @ 3.00 Ghz
8 GB RAM

CA, USA
Used for Gaming
Not overclocking

Any recommendations?

7870 or the 660 as has been mentioned, would lean towards the 7870 at $170 after MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

Croyles

Yeah I can't say I have any experience with natively editing AVCHD in Premiere. However, I can say that the 3770k and a Nvidia GPU will make definitely give as good an experience as possible for a reasonable price. I'm not sure about the 760 and what version of Premiere you're using, but this is a must read to make sure you can take full advantage of your GPU when rendering in CS5.5 and earlier (it is a good overview for CS6 or CC too).

GPU Acceleration and Premiere Pro

Using Premiere Pro 6. As far as I know, it supports the GTX 760 for GPU acceleration, but I could be wrong as I have been many times before.

Thanks for the link though. It should help a lot once I get my head around it! :)

So I ran the Heaven benchmark and at the end my 760 was hovering around 80 C. Is that a fine temp? I have not tried to overclock but I wanted to in the future. My idle temp is around 35 C btw.

bro1

Banned
So I ran the Heaven benchmark and at the end my 760 was hovering around 80 C. Is that a fine temp? I have not tried to overclock but I wanted to in the future. My idle temp is around 35 C btw.
What cooler? My msi 770 is about 74c but my gigabyte 670 topped out at 64. Meanwhile, the SLi 660 I ran for a bit were about 84.

bro1

Banned
I bought an SSD for my build, however I can't find any of the old accessories that can with my HAF 912. I've looked for 2 days now. I can't even find the removable thing for extra hard drives. How screwed am I when it comes to installing it? Am I going to have to get a new case?

Sata and power is all you need you can tape/Velcro a ssd

TheD

The Detective

6. Problem solved.

Windows works fine without a paging file.
It is only an issue when you try and use more memory than you have RAM (that will not happen at start up, unless you are loading a fuckton of programs at start up).

Using Premiere Pro 6. As far as I know, it supports the GTX 760 for GPU acceleration, but I could be wrong as I have been many times before.

Thanks for the link though. It should help a lot once I get my head around it! :)

Happy to help! The 760 isn't "supported" (neither is the 660) but it will work just fine as long as you follow the instructions in that link (it is literally adding the name of your GPU to a text file).

80 is fine. It is within acceptable temp range. Pretty sure the ACX model is good for silence. If you want to keep it a little cooler you can crank up the fan speeds with Precision X or something.

Good idea. It is extremely quiet so I have a feeling you're right. Thanks.

Alright, trying to install Windows 7 right now on my ASRockZ77 Pro4.

I came up to the screen where it asks me where to install Windows, and I'm not seeing my SSD, only my 3TB HDD. I unplugged the HDD and clicked "Refresh" but it just shows the same thing. Is it safe to restart my PC while trying to install Windows?

Edit: Clicked refresh again, and now the HDD is gone. (Guess it just took a second to register). Still not seeing the SSD. Everything looks connected.

Edit 2: I'm a dumbass.

Karmum

Banned
GTX 770 2GB ~ $400
GTX 770 4GB ~ $450

Is the extra 2GB worth another $50? I've pretty much convinced myself that I'm going to upgrade from my two 460s at some point this year, and it's going to be the 2GB or 4GB model.

knitoe

GTX 770 2GB ~ $400
GTX 770 4GB ~ $450

Is the extra 2GB worth another $50? I've pretty much convinced myself that I'm going to upgrade from my two 460s at some point this year, and it's going to be the 2GB or 4GB model.

4GB.

There are games already using >2GB. Can't recommend that amount anymore.

Karmum

Banned
4GB.

There are games already using >2GB. Can't recommend that amount anymore.
Awesome. I pretty much was going with the 4GB regardless, but I always like more opinions. Probably going to sell my 460s for $150, so getting a GTX 770 for $300 isn't too bad at all...

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I wouldn't feel comfortable with 2 gigs any more.

Guys can I build a PC in Canada, or How much would it cost to build a pc that will be able to do 1080 p and great amount of AA (no jaggies) with 60 fps for next generation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom