• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm actually stuck.

I have Windows 7 installed, and am now trying to add the essential drivers. I placed in the ASRockZ77 driver disc and ran the set-up and was soon met with the text "Generate Serial ATA Driver diskette? [Y/N]" I type Y, but I get "No supported drive found: Floppy 1.44 MB and USB drive!" Then I get prompted to hit any key to reboot, which just reruns the program and repeats the same process.

knitoe

Now I'm actually stuck.

I have Windows 7 installed, and am now trying to add the essential drivers. I placed in the ASRockZ77 driver disc and ran the set-up and was soon met with the text "Generate Serial ATA Driver diskette? [Y/N]" I type Y, but I get "No supported drive found: Floppy 1.44 MB and USB drive!" Then I get prompted to hit any key to reboot, which just reruns the program and repeats the same process.

What happens when you type N? Sounds like Y would install the sata drivers to a floppy/USB for new Windows install.

I would recommend going to Intel's website and get their latest drivers for the chipset & rapid storage instead of using the old ones from Asrock.

What happens when you type N? Sounds like Y would install the sata drivers to a floppy/USB for new Windows install.

I would recommend going to Intel's website and get their latest drivers for the chipset & rapid storage instead of using the old ones from Asrock.

When I type N, the exact same thing happens.

maneil99

So I am thinking of taking my PC in to get assembled, I just sold my 680 GTX and ordered a 780 ACX Superclocked, I can easily install the GPU, its the 200mm fan and rotating the 212 + heatsink thats the issue. I broke my i7 930 Cooler Pin, killed my ud3h somehow when reinstalling my 212+ I think, either that or I killed the Bios.

BizzyBum

Should I wait to build a new PC this fall when next-gen systems come out or just go ahead and build now? If nothing new is coming out by then I'll just build it now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I am thinking of taking my PC in to get assembled, I just sold my 680 GTX and ordered a 780 ACX Superclocked, I can easily install the GPU, its the 200mm fan and rotating the 212 + heatsink thats the issue. I broke my i7 930 Cooler Pin, killedm y ud3h somehow when reinstalling my 212+.
Wow, that's not good :(
My mom wants to buy this:

http://www.dell.com/us/eep/p/inspiron-660/pd?oc=fcSvr11&model_id=inspiron-660

I feel like I can build her a better PC for the same money. Can you suggest something? I have looked at the OP and feel your "Standard Very Capable" build seems where I'm at right now but I think the case may be too big or the GPU too much? Any help I would appreciate it.
I'd grab the cheapest Dell i3 + Monitor combo then get a 2-3 year NBD warranty if you don't want any hassle. Clone the OS to an SSD and you are set.
Guys can I build a PC in Canada, or How much would it cost to build a pc that will be able to do 1080 p and great amount of AA (no jaggies) with 60 fps for next generation ?
Fill out OP
Should I wait to build a new PC this fall when next-gen systems come out or just go ahead and build now? If nothing new is coming out by then I'll just build it now.
Fill out OP. Nothing new until last quarter I think. No concrete dates anyway.

maneil99

all thats rumored is the AMD 9000 series (8000 series is OEM rebrand) Might drive the 780 price down but that's unlikely

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, I managed to get everything running. I have officially built my first PC.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

9DLfMWE.jpg

xJavonta

Banned
My HDD is clicking :( so I'm on Amazon and I don't know if I should go with WD greens or blues. I don't want anything too loud so blacks are out of the question, and this drive will just be for games.

Edit; Didn't realize blues weren't available in 2TB. Green it is lol

BizzyBum

Fill out OP. Nothing new until last quarter I think. No concrete dates anyway.

Okay, so I would build something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K OC'd to 4.5GHz
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO or Noctua NH-D14 (any edge or both the same?)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5
GPU: GTX 780 3GB (any recommended brand for the 780?)
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Tower: COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower

Anything not listed I can still use from previous build (basically all accessories. PSU, keyboard, mouse, mouse mat, speakers, headset, monitor)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Much thanks to everyone for their help. I completed my build today as well. Very tiresome but well worth it.
Glad to hear. Only gets better the more time you have it :)
Okay, so I would build something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K OC'd to 4.5GHz
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO or Noctua NH-D14 (any edge or both the same?)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5
GPU: GTX 780 3GB (any recommended brand for the 780?)
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
Tower: COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower

Anything not listed I can still use from previous build (basically all accessories. PSU, keyboard, mouse, mouse mat, speakers, headset, monitor)
EVO should cover it well enough. Mostly up to how good the core -> IHS contact is.
Suggest Low Profile RAM.

Also a suggestion: http://promotions.newegg.com/combo/13-3150/index.html
MPOWER combo with HX650 makes a HX650 $30, cans easily flip or replace what you have.

Probably the ASUS or Gigabyte. Extra phases and a top end cooler on both. MSI probably does stuff, but that's usually saved for their Lightning models. Haven't read into since since I don't plan on buying a 770/780 any time soon.
Unf. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_780_Direct_Cu_II_OC/3.html

i have 2 1080p monitors and one 1440p monitor(an AOC LED, DELL IPS, and an Auria for the 1440p)

when I try to do the nvidia surround crap it refuses to use 1080p as the base and goes to 768p, and the dell monitor seems to be the reason

I read that this is a DVI+ or - issue or something, or could it be because of some weird limitation of surround where as eyefinity would be better?

if I hook my tv up instead of the AOC monitor i have the same issue. it seems to be the dell monitor thats limiting everything

does that sound right or am I completely wrong?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($121.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.26 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $774.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-28 02:38 EDT-0400)

What does GAF think of this value optimized, stable build? Will be used for vectorized programming (haswell being a necessity) and for playing games at 1280x800 (my projector resolution).

Already have storage/ODD. Will this case fit the 212+? Are there any hi quality H87 boards with the realtek 1150 or lucid virtu? Both aren't dealbreakers but would be very convenient.

Addnan

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($121.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)

What does GAF think of this value optimized, stable build? Will be used for vectorized programming (haswell being a necessity) and for playing games at 1280x800 (my projector resolution).

Already have storage/ODD. Will this case fit the 212+?
Save some money on the motherboard. No need to get that motherboard with that CPU. Change to a H87. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130697

The cooler should fit

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i have 2 1080p monitors and one 1440p monitor(an AOC LED, DELL IPS, and an Auria for the 1440p)

when I try to do the nvidia surround crap it refuses to use 1080p as the base and goes to 768p, and the dell monitor seems to be the reason

I read that this is a DVI+ or - issue or something, or could it be because of some weird limitation of surround where as eyefinity would be better?

if I hook my tv up instead of the AOC monitor i have the same issue. it seems to be the dell monitor thats limiting everything

does that sound right or am I completely wrong?
Not sure, are you trying to split a non dual link DVI or something? Not well versed in triple monitor setups.

Already have storage/ODD. Will this case fit the 212+?
I'd cut the mobo down to at least the $125 GB in the Build Sheet. PSU can be a BP550 for $15 saved there. Heatsink should fit. Get Low Profile memory in 1866 if possible.

Bump CPU to 4670K imo, OC's are totally stable :D

Also GTX 660's are $180 AR if those might work better with whatever tools you are using.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nice deal, but I'd recommend getting the UD4H instead of the Mpower. Better to take those $40 and spend them on a better cooler than the 212.
But the MPower is so nice :'[

Yeah the UD4 makes more sense, but I'd still go with the EVO. It's really really impressive for it's cost (So is the Noctua when comparing it to CLC, but that's pricy territory). At ~4.5Ghz I feel it's the perfect fit there, but you are free to correct me since I haven't kept super up to date on Haswell temps when OC'd.

maneil99

Damn these GPU promos are killing me, I ordered my 680 GTX at launch, got jack shit , just ordered my 780 and find out this new rise of the triad promo is 600 series only. Cmon

Mad Max

But the MPower is so nice :'[

Yeah the UD4 makes more sense, but I'd still go with the EVO. It's really really impressive for it's cost (So is the Noctua when comparing it to CLC, but that's pricy territory). At ~4.5Ghz I feel it's the perfect fit there, but you are free to correct me since I haven't kept super up to date on Haswell temps when OC'd.

I'd say it depends on the vCore that the chip needs to reach 4.5GHZ. If he gets a very good chip the 212EVO will suffice. But if it's a average clocker the heat output can climb above 130W, which is where you're kind of approaching the limit of what a 212 can dissipate.

On the other hand the noctua or a h80 may kind of go to waste if he doesn't delid, due to the poor thermal contact between the IHS and die. So I think he should probably aim for something between the 212EVO and the D14; maybe something like the phanteks PH-TC12DX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709020

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd say it depends on the vCore that the chip needs to reach 4.5GHZ. If he gets a very good chip the 212EVO will suffice. But if it's a average clocker the heat output can climb above 130W, which is where you're kind of approaching the limit of what a 212 can dissipate.

On the other hand the noctua or a h80 will kind of go to waste if he doesn't delid, due to the poor thermal contact between the IHS and die. So I think he should probably aim for something between the 212EVO and the D14; maybe something like the phanteks PH-TC12DX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709020
Shit $50? I support that. Phanteks good cooler!
Part of it is making those decisions and how much time/effort/research you want to do. Myself, I'd start with the EVO and figure out where I stand. For someone else spending $15 or $35 more (Slippery slope) to 'know' that it's fine is enough.

I've gone from 65nm stock HS -> Zalman 9500 -> Big Typhoon -> TRUE120 -> TPC 812 -> Kraken X60. Only thing left to jump to is full water. It'll probably happen at some point.

Danj

The Fractal Design Node 304 has a built in fan controller at the rear. When I get to building this thing, should I use this to control the 3 chassis fans, or should I connect them to the motherboard instead? They're all 3-pin fans.

EDIT: based on this video which describes ASUS's Fan Xpert 2, I'm thinking motherboard will work way better, the case's fan controller is just a plain switch that only has a few positions.

BizzyBum

Alright, changed some things, mostly with the CPU/mobo as the Haswell combo is overkill for gaming. Going with the Noctua, it's huge but I'm getting 2x8GB lower profile sticks so there will be room. I currently have an EVGA GTX 580 and it's great so sticking with EVGA and the ACX Cooler brand has best ratings on Newegg.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene.
GPU: EVGA ACX Cooler GTX 780 3GB
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Alright, changed some things, mostly with the CPU/mobo as the Haswell combo is overkill for gaming. Going with the Noctua, it's huge but I'm getting 2x8GB lower profile sticks so there will be room. I currently have an EVGA GTX 580 and it's great so sticking with EVGA and the ACX Cooler brand has best ratings on Newegg.

Pretty sure the Asus and GB are better cards.

eVGA is nice for their better than average customer support. I wouldn't buy eVGA over either of those just sayin.

maneil99

Your build is identical to mine minus the ram ssd and cooler. I am using a 212+. Gene V is sexy as hell. Looks kinda dorky being matx in my midtower case (haf912) but is much better then my old UD3H. MY 780 acx sc is otw. Just bought today

3570k 4.5ghz 1.28 offset mode
8gb Gskill 2600mhz XMP enabled
Gene V 1802 BIOS
680 superclock +
750w corsair Tx V2
1TB WD Blue HDD
Windows 8 Pro

Lethal

Neo Member
So...bit of a weird issue I've had with the Strobelight Beta app.

I installed it and it works perfectly on my VG248. Only thing is, I'm using displayport and the monitor doesn't register as a sound device in windows settings AT ALL when Strobelight is installed. When I do a reset all and reboot, the monitor appears as a sound device again.

I guess it's not really a big deal since I use headphones 90% of the time and the built-in speakers are terrible, but it irks me. I guess I could always run a 3.5mm cable from my soundcard to the monitor input but don't want another wire.

Any ideas?

pubba

Hi Master Race folks! I haven't built a PC since the early 2000's, so please be gentle.

What I need
A gaming PC that's as portable as possible. Small form factor is a must. I travel a lot and mostly work from home, so am often going back and forth between Australia, China and Thailand. I don't mind lugging a PC around with me, but a typical desktop tower would be a bit ridiculous. Also, I would like to be able to take it to work sometimes to play high-end games that won't run on the crappy work PC's.

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: I am using a POS laptop that I bought from an expat for $45. It looks like it's about 9 years old, and the fans are running at 100% right now because I have more than one program open. It's awful.
Budget: This might be a problem. I can only afford around $500-$600. Challenge accepted?
Country: China www.taobao.com is where I usually buy my tech stuff, but the local PC market here in Nanjing matches the taobao.com prices. Eg: The GTX 760 2 GB graphic card (am I doing this right?) costs 1300 RMB here, which is roughly $215 USD
Main Use: Gaming(I've missed out on too much for too long), Media Playback, Web surfing, Skype. MAYBE some graphic programs such as llustrator, Photoshop and Flash
Monitor Resolution: I would be running it through my 32" TV at first. Actually, the talk on GAF recently re: Steam Big Picture Mode has convinced me to do this. The build will be 90% gaming and 10% media playback. I can surf the web and do my writing stuff on this shitty laptop. If I settle down for more than a few months somewhere, I will buy a monitor so I can do some digital art stuff.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I've been in the console ghetto since the Xbox1 days, so would be like a pig in shit if new games run at a smooth 30fps. 60fps would probably hurt my brain.
Looking to reuse any parts: I got nothing..
When will you build: No particular deadline. I could even buy parts bit by bit until I have everything that I need.
Will you be overclocking: Hell no. I have trouble syncing my iPad, let alone messing about with delicate PC parts.

Danj

Budget: This might be a problem. I can only afford around $500-$600. Challenge accepted?

With that budget you're probably going to have to look at an AMD APU based solution. There are some in mkenyon's SFF build guide (they're marked as HTPC, but they will probably do some gaming as well, just not anywhere near as well as any of the others). If you get a case that can accommodate a discrete GPU, you can always upgrade it later when you have more money.

EDIT: This might give you some idea of what gaming performance you might expect from the AMD APUs.

kharma45

With that budget you're probably going to have to look at an AMD APU based solution. There are some in mkenyon's SFF build guide (they're marked as HTPC, but they will probably do some gaming as well, just not anywhere near as well as any of the others). If you get a case that can accommodate a discrete GPU, you can always upgrade it later when you have more money.

EDIT: This might give you some idea of what gaming performance you might expect from the AMD APUs.

That's for the A6 though, if you're wanting to game you'd want at least the A8 for the APU which is a lot better.

Hi Master Race folks! I haven't built a PC since the early 2000's, so please be gentle.

What I need
A gaming PC that's as portable as possible. Small form factor is a must. I travel a lot and mostly work from home, so am often going back and forth between Australia, China and Thailand. I don't mind lugging a PC around with me, but a typical desktop tower would be a bit ridiculous. Also, I would like to be able to take it to work sometimes to play high-end games that won't run on the crappy work PC's.

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: I am using a POS laptop that I bought from an expat for $45. It looks like it's about 9 years old, and the fans are running at 100% right now because I have more than one program open. It's awful.
Country: China www.taobao.com is where I usually buy my tech stuff, but the local PC market here in Nanjing matches the taobao.com prices. Eg: The GTX 760 2 GB graphic card (am I doing this right?) costs 1300 RMB here, which is roughly $215 USD
Main Use: Gaming(I've missed out on too much for too long), Media Playback, Web surfing, Skype. MAYBE some graphic programs such as llustrator, Photoshop and Flash
Monitor Resolution: I would be running it through my 32" TV at first. Actually, the talk on GAF recently re: Steam Big Picture Mode has convinced me to do this. The build will be 90% gaming and 10% media playback. I can surf the web and do my writing stuff on this shitty laptop. If I settle down for more than a few months somewhere, I will buy a monitor so I can do some digital art stuff.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I've been in the console ghetto since the Xbox1 days, so would be like a pig in shit if new games run at a smooth 30fps. 60fps would probably hurt my brain.
Looking to reuse any parts: I got nothing..
When will you build: No particular deadline. I could even buy parts bit by bit until I have everything that I need.
Will you be overclocking: Hell no. I have trouble syncing my iPad, let alone messing about with delicate PC parts.

Could go like this

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $583.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-28 08:50 EDT-0400)

But that's obviously prices in the USA, it might not translate across to being the same value.

Guys can I build a PC in Canada, or How much would it cost to build a pc that will be able to do 1080 p and great amount of AA (no jaggies) with 60 fps for next generation ?
Wait till the PS4 releases so we can give you an accurate build because games right now are mostly being made for the last gen specs.

pubba

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $583.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-28 08:50 EDT-0400)

But that's obviously prices in the USA, it might not translate across to being the same value.

Thanks for this list. And thanks Danj for your advice, but the APU that you listed isn't even close to what I need (One of the games I want to max out is Sleeping Dogs - Love it!) I was going to just go back to the console zone, but the build listed here seems pretty good, and is less than $600

Thanks for this list. And thanks Danj for your advice, but the APU that you listed isn't even close to what I need (One of the games I want to max out is Sleeping Dogs - Love it!) I was going to just go back to the console zone, but the build listed here seems pretty good, and is less than $600
No, wait.

kharma45

Actually screw that 650 Ti Boost, price has rocketed up on it. You can get the 7870 for that money from Sapphire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

Danj

And thanks Danj for your advice, but the APU that you listed isn't even close to what I need (One of the games I want to max out is Sleeping Dogs - Love it!)

Mmm, I hadn't realised it was possible to put together a serviceable Intel based SFF build in that kind of budget with a half decent GPU.

pubba

Actually screw that 650 Ti Boost, price has rocketed up on it. You can get the 7870 for that money from Sapphire.

I sent your list to a PC builder on taobao.com (it's like eBay in China) and he said he can build the system you listed for 3,900 RMB including shipping and Windows 8

That's $636 USD

The GPU is 1099 RMB - $180 USD

The other 7870 GPU - can you give me a manufacturer name that you can recommend ? And is it 2GB like the 650 TiBoost?

So I was thinking of getting an ssd to supplement my existing PC. It currently has a 750gb WD Black drive in there and I've got a 1tb external HDD that I put videos and such on. I was thinking of getting an SSD just to speed up load times for games like Shogun 2 or Sky rim and Windows.

Looking at some SSDs, the Samsung 840 and 840 pro seems well regarded. I don't need a tip top SSD, so would a regular 840 at 250GB be enough for having Windows 7 and a handful of games? Or is the 840 Pro that much better? Considering I've never used an SSD before, I'm guessing anyone would knock my socks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom