• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found out the issue with my cooling and the H80i. I was afraid I had an improper mount and cooling. After work I opened it up and everything looked ok as far as I could tell. I wasn't able to see the fans and pump in Corsair link so I changed the USB connection to the motherboard to another slot and its working fine now.

I see all my fans now and the pump and now my temps are running at 29c at idle with plenty of room to push the fans and pump further if need be. Super excited that I've finally locked everything up in this PC as best I can.

What am I missing here? This looks cheap. Doesn't appear I could build it much cheaper if at all. Thoughts?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=400521046488&siteId=0&isClassified=false

I'm on PC parts picker and have added almost all major components (didn't add small things like fans and media card readers) and I'm looking at 1720 with Windows 8 home OEM.

From that website? Adding Windows 8 64 bit I'm looking at 2176....
not including shipping

lulz

maneil99

Hey guys, having an issue with my 3570k, gonan keep this as easy to follow as possible. Okay so I am using offsets, I had my computer completely stable, hits 1.280v max under prime, stress tested for over 100 hours over a month, no whea errors nothing, never went over 1.28v. I just sold my 680gtx and ordered a 780 on saturday. I am currently using my iGPU

I noticed today after doing a stress test overnight that I hit 1.288v at somepoint over night. Ran prime again and sure enough I was jumping from 1.28-1.288 while running prime. So I rebooted, tried again, same thing. I go into the bios make sure the offsets the same then try again, goes back to normal at 1.28v. Tried some other offsets to see if they were reporting normally ( and they were ) so I went back and loaded up my profile. I hit 1.288v again but only on the first try, I could not replicate it.

So I went into the Bios, checked and noticed that if I loaded up my profile, before exiting the bios and looked at my settings the iGPU settings ( Offsets, power ect ) were not there. But If I loaded defaults they appeared. These settings appear with the profile if I load the profile save and exit, then go into the bios, they appear and are at the reccomended settings, just like they should be.

Anyway I have tried a reformat, a reflash of the bios and still I am left confused. Currently whether I use the Profile I made before I removed the GPU ( I saved it to my USB ) and the one after I removed my GPU ( Same exact settings ) I cannot recreate the 1.288v peak

Thanks

Thanks for the GPU related advice.

One quick (last hopefully) question.

I'm thinking about returning my 7850 2GB and getting the 7950 3GB. I'm assuming it will give me a little extra juice to play next-gen games. Is it worth doing, or will the performance be negligable? I can currently play games like Tomb Raider on Ultra in 1080p with 40fps. I'm not so concerned about using medium setting in next-gen games, but I want 1080p.

I was amazed how much better games looked in 1080p.

maneil99

Thanks for the GPU related advice.

One quick (last hopefully) question.

I'm thinking about returning my 7850 2GB and getting the 7950 3GB. I'm assuming it will give me a little extra juice to play next-gen games. Is it worth doing, or will the performance be negligable? I can currently play games like Tomb Raider on Ultra in 1080p with 40fps. I'm not so concerned about using medium setting in next-gen games, but I want 1080p.

I was amazed how much better games looked in 1080p.

It will be a nice jump, its up to you though, where in Canada are you? The 3GB vs 2GB won't make as much of a difference as the raw power. Maybe go with the 760 GTX?

deuce985

Banned
A friend of mine gave me a TX750w Corsair PSU today. It's brand new in a factory sealed box. I have a TX750w v2 inside my PC currently. I think the one he gave me was the previous version of the one currently in my PC. Any big differences between them? I'm looking at it and visually I see no difference. If it's a good PSU I might use it in my next build since it's brand new. Save me a little money. It's obviously not modular just like the PSU I currently use but I really don't need modular PSUs. I can do cable management fine.

It will be a nice jump, its up to you though, where in Canada are you? The 3GB vs 2GB won't make as much of a difference as the raw power. Maybe go with the 760 GTX?

I'm in Toronto. The 7850 I bought cost around $200, and the 7950 is about $270.

I'm not really a PC guy, but with the next-gen consoles coming and being so similar to PCs I thought now is the right time to get one. Thaqt and I'm not used to mind blowing graphics, so I'm okay getting cheaper parts and still coming out better than console graphics.

maneil99

A friend of mine gave me a TX750w Corsair PSU today. It's brand new in a factory sealed box. I have a TX750w v2 inside my PC currently. I think the one he gave me was the previous version of this. Any big differences between them? I'm looking at it and visually I see no difference. If it's a good PSU it might use it in my next build since it's brand new. Save me a little money. It's obviously not modular just like the PSU I currently use but I really don't need modular PSUs. I can do cable management fine.

I have the V2 aswell, I believe they are different. The V2 is the same as the XFX Pro Core Edition. There's 2 V2's, the newer ones are seasonic, the older ones aren't. How old is yours.

The V1 is made by CWT, the V2 is made my Seasonic

deuce985

Banned
I have the V2 aswell, I believe they are different. The V2 is the same as the XFX Pro Core Edition. There's 2 V2's, the newer ones are seasonic, the older ones aren't. How old is yours.

The V1 is made by CWT, the V2 is made my Seasonic

I bought mine around January 2012 I believe. Looking at reviews online, it seems the old TX750w he gave me got good reviews. I think it had a different manufacturer than Seasonic as you mentioned. Not sure what other differences it had. I just want to know if it's a good PSU because if it I'll use it in my next build saving money on the budget. I could always swap this PSU out for my new build but I'd rather not.

Yea, the one I have in my PC is definitely V2 which is probably made by Seasonic. So the one he gave me is the CWT one. He said it was a backup PSU that he never used and has 2 already so he doesn't need it.

maneil99

I'm in Toronto. The 7850 I bought cost around $200, and the 7950 is about $270.

I'm not really a PC guy, but with the next-gen consoles coming and being so similar to PCs I thought now is the right time to get one. Thaqt and I'm not used to mind blowing graphics, so I'm okay getting cheaper parts and still coming out better than console graphics.

Well I would pick up the 7950 then, I mean 70$ might save you some pain, we really don't know how much VRAM will be used in Next Gen games. An extra 1 gb and alot more performance is worth it

Well I would pick up the 7950 then, I mean 70$ might save you some pain, we really don't know how much VRAM will be used in Next Gen games. An extra 1 gb and alot more performance is worth it

Thanks. I'm assuming the PC specs go up gradually and not suddenly, so I think I should be fine for a couple more years.

maneil99

I bought mine around January 2012 I believe.

Should be made by Seasonic then, I'd keep that one. It shouldn't age much, unless you plan on SLIing 970's ( Assuming they use as much power as 770's ) in like 5 years then you might want to switch, but if you are going one single powerful card you should be fine

deuce985

Banned
Should be made by Seasonic then, I'd keep that one. It shouldn't age much, unless you plan on SLIing 970's ( Assuming they use as much power as 770's ) in like 5 years then you might want to switch, but if you are going one single powerful card you should be fine

Reading the reviews it made it sound like the V2 had better capacitors used than the older Corsair TX750s.

hwateber

ugh, kicking myself for not jumping on that 4 GB 760 deal on newegg while i was at work. It seems they've updated the price and it's no longer the same price as the 2 GB :(

maneil99

Reading the reviews it made it sound like the V2 had better capacitors used than the older Corsair TX750s.

Yup, all japanese from what I read. My First Corsair PSU. Had a shit Thermaltake 750 R2 which had awful coil whine ( First real gaming pc ) which was awful but I assumed was normal, used it for like 4 years, then started to die and turn off under load, got a 550w Antec as a replacement for a bit then got this corsair.

maneil99

ugh, kicking myself for not jumping on that 4 GB 760 deal on newegg while i was at work. It seems they've updated the price and it's no longer the same price as the 2 GB :(

Unless you are playing at 1440p there would be little point, any game that needs that much VRAM would be too much for a 760 anyway

Is replacing a fan a complex process? I'm going to replace a broken lower fan and potentially add another on the front (either in the top or middle) to improve air flow. The fans are 120mm, if you can suggest any particular models that would fit I'd appreciate it.

tXvFyx8.jpg

e. From looking at my kit I have these fan clips which might work, but I have a feeling it will be cock blocked by the GPU. Anyone had experience with this type of clip on system, how is the sound? I imagine it to vibrate.
Yeah there's just no space for that but it seems like there is a 120mm mounting bracket at the front where that black bar is.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok, its time, im finally buying the Prodigy system i wanted. I know everything that i want (mostly), but for a graphics card im umming and arring.

It has to be nvidia, and it has to have a minimum of 2GB vram (nvidia still seem to skimp on this while amd kind of go nuts). My budget is £250 max (unless something super special comes up).

I just cant decide what to pick ... GTX 760 vs 670/660Ti ? What say gaf, what would you choose ?
The Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB Is the same price as the two 2GB model on newegg right now

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If someone could help me with my issue posted a few comments above that would be great
You are using offset and your CPU has decided it wants to use a little bit more voltage. Stuff changes, even as something as low as the voltage you are running at. Have temps gone up? Are you running faster or more memory? What is the clock speed for CPU?

Computers man

So since I built my computer on Friday, I've had it lock up completely (screen freezes, sound plays if a sound was playing but the sound freezes too) on me maybe 3 times. Restart button does not work when this happens and I have to do a full shut down. It just happened to me while playing Dark Souls. Does this sound like a hardware problem or could it be Windows 8? I've run Prime95 and other programs and my hardware seems fine but I want to know what you guys think or if anyone has had this problem before.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay, I've never used an SSD before. My current build is just a 1tb hdd. Bought this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Is there anything different about how these have to be installed? Is it just like any normal hdd installation wise? Do I have to change any bios settings or install anything special like drivers for these? Thanks in advance. :)
Just shove it in there (On the SATA3 (6Gbps) port).
You may want to move the page file off the SSD to only the HDD, but tbh I'm not sure that's even needed anymore.
So since I built my computer on Friday, I've had it lock up completely (screen freezes, sound plays if a sound was playing but the sound freezes too) on me maybe 3 times. Restart button does not work when this happens and I have to do a full shut down. It just happened to me while playing Dark Souls. Does this sound like a hardware problem or could it be Windows 8? I've run Prime95 and other programs and my hardware seems fine but I want to know what you guys think or if anyone has had this problem before.
I'd run a memtest 86+ for 15 minutes. If there's any errors RMA your memory.
Next I'd update your display drivers and see if that helps.
After that I'd update your motherboard chipset drivers (Check online downloads from manufacturer)

Just shove it in there (On the SATA3 (6Gbps) port).
You may want to move the page file off the SSD to only the HDD, but tbh I'm not sure that's even needed anymore.

I'd run a memtest 86+ for 15 minutes. If there's any errors RMA your memory.
Next I'd update your display drivers and see if that helps.
After that I'd update your motherboard chipset drivers (Check online downloads from manufacturer)

Thanks, I'll do this right now. My drivers are as new as they can be. Should I try the newest Nvidia beta drivers instead?

maneil99

You are using offset and your CPU has decided it wants to use a little bit more voltage. Stuff changes, even as something as low as the voltage you are running at. Have temps gone up? Are you running faster or more memory? What is the clock speed for CPU?

Computers man

4.5 ghz
Temps seem the same.

My question is, its not always hitting 1.288v, I still cannot recreate it since that post, also I only NOTICED it after I removed my GPU and started using the iGPU, I had done TONS of testing a month prior and never seen it hit 1.288v. I also did a 30 second test the day before I removed it and it hit 1.28. Do you think the theories I posted are viable? I have OCD and this shit bothers me more then anything

Amagon

Any recommendation for a good gaming mouse under $80?

Sick of tired my wireless Logitech MX Revolution and not a fan of Razer products. Have a Deathadder which I am not a fan of.

Heysoos

Okay weird question. I just finished installing my SSD, went flawless except I got a huge scare when after running the Windows 8 installation, I was booting into a black screen for the intitial setup steps(setting the name, email, timezone, etc). It turns out it was showing that stuff on my TV since that was also connected and my PC decided to display stuff there. Finished installation, disconnected my TV display once I was done and showed it only on my primary monitor. Except now, everything looks bigger than normal. The zoom on IE was like at 125%, I changed that, but like the tabs and stuff still looks overblown. I've been messing with the resolution, but even though it says it's 1080p, everything still seems bigger than usual. I'm guessing this has something to do with the computer deciding to do the initial setup through my TV.... Anyways, how do I fix this?

neoanarch

Okay weird question. I just finished installing my SSD, went flawless except I got a huge scare when after running the Windows 8 installation, I was booting into a black screen for the intitial setup steps(setting the name, email, timezone, etc). It turns out it was showing that stuff on my TV since that was also connected and my PC decided to display stuff there. Finished installation, disconnected my TV display once I was done and showed it only on my primary monitor. Except now, everything looks bigger than normal. The zoom on IE was like at 125%, I changed that, but like the tabs and stuff still looks overblown. I've been messing with the resolution, but even though it says it's 1080p, everything still seems bigger than usual. I'm guessing this has something to do with the computer deciding to do the initial setup through my TV.... Anyways, how do I fix this?

Weird, have you checked the DPI under the advanced display settings window?

Heysoos

Weird, have you checked the DPI under the advanced display settings window?

I just noticed the "Make text and other items larger or smaller" option under the Screen Resolution settings. It was set to Medium (125%) as default for some reason. I'm guessing it had to do with booting up through my TV first? Anyways, that seemed to have fixed it. Thanks!

Edit:

Geez. It's like a whole new world with an SSD. Everything is so much snappier than before. I never felt like my computer was slow, but it's blazing fast right now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
4.5 ghz
Temps seem the same.

My question is, its not always hitting 1.288v, I still cannot recreate it since that post, also I only NOTICED it after I removed my GPU and started using the iGPU, I had done TONS of testing a month prior and never seen it hit 1.288v. I also did a 30 second test the day before I removed it and it hit 1.28. Do you think the theories I posted are viable? I have OCD and this shit bothers me more then anything
Stress testing isn't a constant. Temps and load fluctuate, maybe something was scanning or updating in the background, maybe it was Wednesday and there was a minor solar flare or voltage droop on your grid.

It's a single step up on voltage that got auto compensated and now doesn't need to be. Whatevs.
Any recommendation for a good gaming mouse under $80?

Sick of tired my wireless Logitech MX Revolution and not a fan of Razer products. Have a Deathadder which I am not a fan of.
Any in the OP catch your fancy? Those are more for overall value/$ and many people have their own set of things they look for in mice. (I use the Spawn now, had a Sensei RAW, G9, MX518, G500, MX Revolution)

maneil99

Stress testing isn't a constant. Temps and load fluctuate, maybe something was scanning or updating in the background, maybe it was Wednesday and there was a minor solar flare or voltage droop on your grid.

It's a single step up on voltage that got auto compensated and now doesn't need to be. Whatevs.

Any in the OP catch your fancy? Those are more for overall value/$ and many people have their own set of things they look for in mice. (I use the Spawn now, had a Sensei RAW, G9, MX518, G500, MX Revolution)

You think it ties into the iGPU?

Amagon

I've been quite happy with my Sensei RAW mouse. It is wired however, but if that doesn't bother you then I'd recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't mind wired mice nowadays since I feel I catch a little bit of wireless interference once in a while with my mouse which bugs me.

The Sensei RAW I will look into, the CM Storm Xornet & the Corsair M65 caught my attention as well. I guess one criteria that I am trying to look for in a mouse is the button layout on the sides of it. One positive that I do have about my Logitech MX Revolution, is that there is a side scroll wheel which I always use to control the volume and would like to find a feature similar to that for my next mouse. Be that may either scroll wheel or buttons, I guess. I also have large hands and play shooters if that helps. Not really much a expert on this subject, haven't bought a new mouse since 08. So any help is appreciated! :)

maneil99

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't mind wired mice nowadays since I feel I catch a little bit of wireless interference once in a while with my mouse which bugs me.

The Sensei RAW I will look into, the CM Storm Xornet & the Corsair M65 caught my attention as well. I guess one criteria that I am trying to look for in a mouse is the button layout on the sides of it. One positive that I do have about my Logitech MX Revolution, is that there is a side scroll wheel which I always use to control the volume and would like to find a feature similar to that for my next mouse. Be that may either scroll wheel or buttons, I guess. I also have large hands and play shooters if that helps. Not really much a expert on this subject, haven't bought a new mouse since 08. So any help is appreciated! :)

I have really big hands, using the CM Sentinel, Really nice mouse, going to replace it after 2 years with either the new model http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=44677
Or wait until I can find one of these in Canada http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=10062

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You think it ties into the iGPU?
I think you should not worry about it at all.
Any increased load for any reason at all could cause it

Those are all good mice.
Personally I cannot stand the Corsair mouse, but others like it. Coming from the MX anything will seem insanely light (Sensei was too small for me and G9 gave me cramps eventually). My Spawn so far has been great, despite looking so small. Sadly nothing matches the wonderful side wheel of the MX :(

I've only tried the Xornet once at an event, but I prefer the Spawn over it. The rubber on the right helps keep my pinky off the mat.

maneil99

I think you should not worry about it at all.
Any increased load for any reason at all could cause it

Those are all good mice.
Personally I cannot stand the Corsair mouse, but others like it. Coming from the MX anything will seem insanely light (Sensei was too small for me and G9 gave me cramps eventually). My Spawn so far has been great, despite looking so small. Sadly nothing matches the wonderful side wheel of the MX :(

I've only tried the Xornet once at an event, but I prefer the Spawn over it. The rubber on the right helps keep my pinky off the mat.

I think it also depends on how the user holds their mice, claw vs palm. So I am confused, do you also believe that the igpu is most likely the reason I got that vcore jump. I have OCD and it drives me insane sometimes, their are nights I can't sleep because I am scared my fan is at 80% speed instead of 70% and it could burn out overnight.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think it also depends on how the user holds their mice, claw vs palm. So I am confused, do you also believe that the igpu is most likely the reason I got that vcore jump. I have OCD and it drives me insane sometimes, their are nights I can't sleep because I am scared my fan is at 80% speed instead of 70% and it could burn out overnight.
I dunno how to help you man, shit's out of your control.
Or just set it on manual and kill the planet by not saving 2W you monster.

Amagon

If it helps (and who knew there is different styles holding a mouse?), but I use a claw style grip around my mouse. Will definitely look into the Spawn though. Don't know if there is a major difference between Spawn & Storm Inferno.

maneil99

If it helps (and who knew there is different styles holding a mouse?), but I use a claw style grip around my mouse. Will definitely look into the Spawn though. Don't know if there is a major difference between Spawn & Storm Inferno.

Check out the Sentinel, I hold my mouse grip style, its pretty much the step up version of the Inferno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom