• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I have settled on my system -

Intel Core i5 3570K
GeForce GTX 760 2GB
4GB DDR3 (maybe 8GB but .... do i really need it ?)
MSI B75IA-E33 Motherboard
Corsair CXM Builder series 500W PSU
A 250GB (roughly) SSD (not entirely sure which one yet)
BitFenix Prodigy Case (Midnight Black)

Sound good gaffers ?

maneil99

Intel Core i5 3570K
GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Sound good gaffers ?

Go 8gb, 4gb is not enough.

kennah

Intel Core i5 3570K
GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Sound good gaffers ?
Get a z77 board. The K processor is pointless without it.

mkenyon

Banned

Intel Core i5 3570K
GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Sound good gaffers ?
Nope.

Get the ASUS P8Z77-I motherboard, or the MSI if you want to pinch pennies. I really recommend the ASUS though.

Antec BP550 over the Corsair CXM.

You only have two DIMMs for memory, so upgrading to 8GB in the future will likely be more costly.You won't be able to just add more sticks. DDR3 already hit the lowest price point, and is on it's way back up. Buying 8GB now would save you money.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sean, you are in the UK right?

Just curious, as I have a few cases laying around that people haven't taken from me. If you're in the US and I am mistaken, then I have a C70 that's pretty much brand spanking new.
Yea just moved here in the UK Friday. Appreciate the thought, though.

Nice one. Be wary of Overclockers, they can be arsey at times with some people.
Oh really? Anything too bad? Guess I'll cross my fingers.

Intel Core i5 3570K
GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Sound good gaffers ?
You're not cheaping out on the other components so spend that small amount extra for 8GB.

kharma45

Oh really? Anything too bad? Guess I'll cross my fingers

They just don't 'get' good customer service, I've seen many reports where they just fob customers off when it comes to returns and an awful lot of the staff can be cheeky fucks too. Their forums are... an acquired taste too.

bro1

Banned
How do you know when you have a driver issue/game issue with a video card? My GTX 770 with today's nvidia beta drivers crashed a few times during a benchmark. It just hanged and I was able to ctraltdel out of it. When I rebooted all was good for about 5 runs and then I quit to get back to work.

Intel Core i5 3570K
GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Sound good gaffers ?

get a z77 motherboard if you want to use that K processor to its full potential, if not then change to a non K processor.

get 8gb since it won't kill you price wise and it will come in handy if you browse a lot with 100s of tabs open :p

change your PSU since the one you listed has a sketchy history.

kharma45

Intel Core i5 3570K
GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Sound good gaffers ?

UK based right? What's your budget?

Thanks for the replies. Yes UK based :)

Reason for going with the K version was purely down to be it being only a £15 price difference really, nothing more.

Dont plan on overclocking, so it may be a worthless £15 spent anyway but hey hoo.

Budget wise ... well i didnt really have 1, but after adding up some total, im looking at around £500-£600, which i think with my current build plan wont be reachable, so im thinking the SSD will need to go, but that will allow me to bump up other things like the memory.

Im basically deciding over everything now, as its pay day tomorrow so i can get this ordered ;)

kharma45

Thanks for the replies. Yes UK based :)

Reason for going with the K version was purely down to be it being only a £15 price difference really, nothing more.

Dont plan on overclocking, so it may be a worthless £15 spent anyway but hey hoo.

Budget wise ... well i didnt really have 1, but after adding up some total, im looking at around £500-£600, which i think with my current build plan wont be reachable, so im thinking the SSD will need to go, but that will allow me to bump up other things like the memory.

Im basically deciding over everything now, as its pay day tomorrow so i can get this ordered ;)

You could do this sans an SSD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£105.96 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£147.40 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Total: £593.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 00:05 BST+0100)

Gumbie

I haven't had to buy a motherboard in years so I'm a little lost. What is a good mobo that is Z77 with SLI support, decent overclocker, and won't break the bank? I keep going back to the Asrock extreme4 just based on the research I've done. Is there something better in the $150-$160 price range?

Edit: Forgot to look in the OP (doh). Looks like the ASUS P8Z77-V LK might be what I'm looking for. Is it better than the Asrock?

kharma45

I haven't had to buy a motherboard in years so I'm a little lost. What is a good mobo that is Z77 with SLI support, decent overclocker, and won't break the bank? I keep going back to the Asrock extreme4 just based on the research I've done. Is there something better in the $150-$160 price range?

Don't get the Extreme4. ASUS LK is a much better bet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837 at $125 after MIR.

You could do this sans an SSD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£105.96 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£147.40 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Total: £593.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 00:05 BST+0100)

Thanks for that (and I have never seen that site before, really nifty !), but I already have the BitFenix Prodigy case, so im commited to Mini ITX. Im also definately going Nvidia, will have to sadly pay their premium.

As for the HDD, i barely use over 300GB personally, so a 500GB drive is all i need, so i looked into it and found 500GB Western Digital Caviar WD5000AZRX, which looks good (from what i can tell), but it has this "green" thing about it, which suggest to me it will be lacking a bit in speed ? Or am I wrong about that ?

The Corsair PSU i mentioned earlier .... at least a few years ago, im certain people used to rave about Corsair being the go to for PSU's, that they were the bees knees. Has this changed in recent years ?

Seanspeed

Banned
They just don't 'get' good customer service, I've seen many reports where they just fob customers off when it comes to returns and an awful lot of the staff can be cheeky fucks too. Their forums are... an acquired taste too.
I can live with that. Thanks for the warning, though.

So I'm looking at the Zalman Z5 Plus for the case. Seems pretty featured, functional, and good looking for a nice price.

Need some suggestions for the power supply without spending much.

kharma45

Thanks for that (and I have never seen that site before, really nifty !), but I already have the BitFenix Prodigy case, so im commited to Mini ITX. Im also definately going Nvidia, will have to sadly pay their premium.

As for the HDD, i barely use over 300GB personally, so a 500GB drive is all i need, so i looked into it and found 500GB Western Digital Caviar WD5000AZRX, which looks good (from what i can tell), but it has this "green" thing about it, which suggest to me it will be lacking a bit in speed ? Or am I wrong about that ?

The Corsair PSU i mentioned earlier .... at least a few years ago, im certain people used to rave about Corsair being the go to for PSU's, that they were the bees knees. Has this changed in recent years ?

Green drives are shit, also why wouldn't you pay like £5 more for twice the storage. Mad :p If you want 500GB get this but it's poor value for money next to the 1TB, really poor in fact http://www.dabs.com/products/wd-500...4_1375226728_65c6f17ba40607d466abdfbbc9bc95b9

For mini ITX then you could fit one of these in since we're dropping the case http://www.cclonline.com/product/86...05/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-kzfeVjgTq5sfjPsnInwSvg

If you want Nvidia the 660 is £152 + free Splinter Cell http://www.dabs.com/products/gigaby...4_1375226892_0caad7a72ca7dc46826ecb5fb1ac7770

Corsair stuff used to be good when it was mostly Seasonic making their stuff but their lower end stuff that you've chosen is mediocre at best.

I can live with that. Thanks for the warning, though.

So I'm looking at the Zalman Z5 Plus for the case. Seems pretty featured, functional, and good looking for a nice price.

Need some suggestions for the power supply without spending much.

Just throw some consumer law at them and they'll back down if they try anything. Zalman Z5 is a grand wee case, as is the Bitfenix Merc and the NZXT Source 210, all are around the same price. Source 210 is pretty nice in black http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-source-210-elite-black-mid-tower-gaming-case-with-usb-30-w-o-psu

PSU wise XFX offer these and are the best VFM http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-45...4_1375227180_e2f971f3517e2d1407fa5780acf9ab19 and http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w...us-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx

maneil99

A solid 450w is better then a shady 550w. XFX's Pro Core series and Corsairs TX V2 series are the same PSU, so go with whatever is cheaper

deuce985

Banned
Yup, all japanese from what I read. My First Corsair PSU. Had a shit Thermaltake 750 R2 which had awful coil whine ( First real gaming pc ) which was awful but I assumed was normal, used it for like 4 years, then started to die and turn off under load, got a 550w Antec as a replacement for a bit then got this corsair.

Thanks. I'll probably just use it as a backup PSU then. It's not like a good PSU is that expensive this days anyway(non-modular I mean).

Coldsnap

I'm getting 59.9fps on most of my games. Right now I have no v sync on because I get tearing when it's on and I have 60fps cap on MSI Afterburner. How can I fix this and get to 60? I read that the drivers above 314 suck and I can't do this, but figured that was a lie.

PC ordered :)

Intel 3570K
8GB DDR3
GTX 760 (Asus DirectCUII OC, comes with that new Splinter Cell game, but I don't want it so will sell the code to recoup some cash)
1TB HDD (SSD was going to cripple my budget)
550W PSU, XFX Core Edition (Turns out a modular PSU may have been more hassle in the case, due to the connectors actually adding length to the PSU, and space is limited)
MSI B75IA-E33 (Im sure you guys will hate this, but im not an overclocker, I needed mini ITX, and it has a 6GBps SATA port)
BitFenix Prodigy (Already have sitting here waiting)

While I did go out of budget a bit (and it hurts), this was mainly due to me being fixated on the mini ITX Prodigy case thing (I really, really like this case), and paying the Nvidia premium (I used AMD a lot in the past, but I always got fed up with driver/game issues for the games I bought). If I went the normal sized AMD route this could have been a hell of a lot cheaper.

Ah well, once built il be sure to put some photos up :) Thanks for the help everyone.

Coldsnap

I'm getting 59.9fps on most of my games. Right now I have no v sync on because I get tearing when it's on and I have 60fps cap on MSI Afterburner. How can I fix this and get to 60? I read that the drivers above 314 suck and I can't do this, but figured that was a lie.

I'm just going to do a fresh install of windows and see if that fixes it.

ZZMitch

Hey guys, a buddy of mine is looking to build a pc so I thought I would help out a bit and post his build here for you all to critique. US by the way. He wants to keep it below $2000 so looking to drop the prices on a few things if possible. Thank you!

Budget Total: 2000
Current Total: 2128
Headset: Plantronics GameCom 780 Surround $65
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 $58
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE $225
CPU Cooling: Thermatltake Frio $57
Thermal Compound: Arctic MX-4 $7
Processor 64 Bit: Intel Core i7-4770k $340
Graphics Card: GTX 760 $250
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (8GB) $71
SSD: 128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD $134
Hard Drive: WD10EZEX 1TB $65
Power Supply: Seasonic M12II-650 Bronze ATX 650 $90
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 $180
Case Fans: 2x NZXT 140mm $26
Operating System: Windows 8 64 Bit $90
Cd/Bluray Drive: LG Blu-Ray Burner $56
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P Black 24" 2ms HDMI LED $180
Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX Brown $89
Surge Protector or uninterruptible power supply APC BE550G Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V $60

The price difference between non K and K was small enough that I felt it was worth it, if only for more options in the future (might want to go full atx, get different motherboard that allows me to OC it, or an easier sell in the future, as im sure the K's are more desirable).

And a mini ITX Z77 would have been far more expensive than the one I got :)

kennah

Lots of places to trim. That motherboard doesn't work with that CPU for one... Get a cheaper better case, drop the expensive fans for cheaper better ones.

Thinking about doing a clean install, and I'm thinking on Windows 8 (from W7) because what the hell. I can do the change for dirt cheap.

I'm only wondering if there are known issues with Windows 8 on PC gaming. Haven't been keeping up in that regard, but I wouldn't want to change for the worse if there are actual issues with W8.

kennah

Hey guys, a buddy of mine is looking to build a pc so I thought I would help out a bit and post his build here for you all to critique. US by the way. He wants to keep it below $2000 so looking to drop the prices on a few things if possible. Thank you!

Headset: Plantronics GameCom 780 Surround $65 don't bother
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 $58 change to something cheaper for now?
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE $225 change this to a P8Z77-LK OR, see below
CPU Cooling: Thermatltake Frio $57 Hyper 212 for better performance at half the price
Thermal Compound: Arctic MX-4 $7 don't bother
Processor 64 Bit: Intel Core i7-4770k $340 if you keep the P9X79, change this to an i7-3820
Graphics Card: GTX 760 $250 solid
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (8GB) $71 Solid, I'm sure you can find cheaper though
SSD: 128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD $134 you probably wouldn't notice a differnce between the pro and non-pro versions
Power Supply: Seasonic M12II-650 Bronze ATX 650 $90 solid
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 $180 expensive, but if you reaaaallly want it...
Case Fans: 2x NZXT 140mm $26 pointless
Operating System: Windows 8 64 Bit $90 Find a student to get you a cheap copy
Cd/Bluray Drive: LG Blu-Ray Burner $56 Only get if necessary
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P Black 24" 2ms HDMI LED $180 Get a 120Hz one instead
Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX Brown $89 Solid
Surge Protector or uninterruptible power supply APC BE550G Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V $60 Sure, but you probably don't need something this crazy unless you have really bad power in your house. Computers are more resistant to bad power than they used to be/power supplies are designed to die first.

Changes suggested above.

Gaf : when the ddr4 will become available? If i spend a lot of money now for a motherboard with a wifi go module ( wowl function€ do i make a good decision or a bad investment?

2014-2015

Wifi is always shitty, so it is up to you?
Why shitty? I use it to stream video file to my bluray under the tv and it work well , i also use wifi with my xbox 360 and i dn't have any problem playing online. My concern is about the importance of ddr4 and pci express 3 when they first appear on the market. If this new techs will be fundamental for playing next gen games for the next 4 or 5 years then i buy now a cheaper mboard and save money for a future upgrade , if not i would really appreciaty the wowl feature and the streaming deskop app that asus provide

mkenyon

Banned

Headset: Plantronics GameCom 780 Surround $65
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 $58
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE $225
CPU Cooling: Thermatltake Frio $57
Thermal Compound: Arctic MX-4 $7
Processor 64 Bit: Intel Core i7-4770k $340
Graphics Card: GTX 760 $250
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (8GB) $71
SSD: 128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD $134
Power Supply: Seasonic M12II-650 Bronze ATX 650 $90
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 $180
Case Fans: 2x NZXT 140mm $26
Operating System: Windows 8 64 Bit $90
Cd/Bluray Drive: LG Blu-Ray Burner $56
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P Black 24" 2ms HDMI LED $180
Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX Brown $89
Surge Protector or uninterruptible power supply APC BE550G Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V $60
Spending money in all the wrong places.

Most important things to swap out.

1) Mobo and CPU. Get a 4570K and MSI G45 Gaming.

2) CM Hyper 212+ for Frio OCK. Frio is great, but it's kind of loud, and it won't deal with Haswell's heatwall. It's an issue with the proc, not with the amount of cooling.

3) Any of the $100 cases for the NZXT Phantom. That case is oriented towards lots of watercooling gear, not air cooled single-GPU systems. Fractal Arc Midi R2 is fucking amazing. Also, you don't need extra fans for the stuff listed.

4) SSD. Be patient, and snipe a deal on a Crucial M4/M500, Plextor, Samsung 840 250GB, 840 pro, or HyperX. 128s are usually found for about $80-90.

5) Does he *really* need a BluRay?

6) Heatsink comes with TIM, don't need MX-4.

7) With all of that money saved, upgrade to a 780. Or, a 770/7970GHz and a 120Hz monitor.

System immediately way better.

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my PC in August and I would like some feedback/advice on my build plan. This is an upgrade that is long overdue, which is why it is generally quite expensive. I don't do that much gaming on PC but I do 3D modeling and video work and want a PC that will be good for at least 5+ years. Kind of annoyed Haswell 6 and 8 cores aren't due until second half of next year, which is why I'm thinking of just going with the current 6 core.

CPU: Intel 6 Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz
Mobo: ASUS P9X79 LE
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4A1600C9 32GB
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770 4GB 256-bit GDDR5
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 250 GB
HDD: WD Green 2TB x2
PSU: Antec HCG-620M 620w
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Heatsink: CoolerMaster 212+ EVO
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 white
Tablet: WACOM Intuos5 Touch Small

I have priced things out and this is close to $3000 (incl. tax + shipping) however I have been looking on Shopbot.ca and found some deals so I may be able to save a bit when I order in a couple weeks. Thanks for looking!

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my PC in August and I would like some feedback/advice on my build plan. This is an upgrade that is long overdue, which is why it is generally quite expensive. I don't do that much gaming on PC but I do 3D modeling and video work and want a PC that will be good for at least 5+ years. Kind of annoyed Haswell 6 and 8 cores aren't due until second half of next year, which is why I'm thinking of just going with the current 6 core.

I have priced things out and this is close to $3000 (incl. tax + shipping) however I have been looking on Shopbot.ca and found some deals so I may be able to save a bit when I order in a couple weeks. Thanks for looking!
Pretty much nailed it there. I'd swap out the PSU for something else, as Sandy-E chips are crazy power hungry when overclocked.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You wasted your money on the K processor and all Z77 boards have sata3.
Good for an easy resale or pass along, npnp

Looks good. I'd swap the PSU to something else and I think the 840 EVO SSDs are coming 'Early August'.

maneil99

You should add special promos, EVGA is giving away free copies of Adobe Software, Rise of the Triad and Primal Carnage if you purchase their cards, anyone know of any others doing this?

So I'm trying to connect my 32 inch Sharp lcd tv into my pc via hdmi-hdmi connector. For some reason my PC will not detect it. The hdmi connect is attached to the mother board if that matters. Do i have to get a dvi-hdmi converter to use my tv as a monitor?

Jzero

So I'm trying to connect my 32 inch Sharp lcd tv into my pc via hdmi-hdmi connector. For some reason my PC will not detect it. The hdmi connect is attached to the mother board if that matters. Do i have to get a dvi-hdmi converter to use my tv as a monitor?

Do you have a graphics card? If so, you have to connect it to the graphics card and not the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom